2009 GMC Acadia lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Acadia:

2009 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012014

I am so exhausted by replacing headlights on my 2009 Acadia. I have owned the car for 2 years and have replaced headlights, connectors, wiring, and more headlights. I have never had all working headlights at any one time. This clearly is a safety issue! not to mention the cost involved....I do not have over $100 everytime one goes out so we have figured out how to replace them ourselves, which isn't easy either!

- Schwenksville, PA, USA

Mar 282016

I just lost both drl/low beams. First the driver's side then a day later the passenger side. These are the second set of headlights. This replacement would be number 5 and 6 bulbs. Doesn't seem that they should go out this many times with only 66,000 miles

- Grandville, MI, USA

Dec 212015

The drivers side day running light continues to burn out. The dealer acknowledged an electrical issue because they have seen this before, but GMC will not file a recall. Dealer called GMC customer service who offered a discount to me for the costly repair of both headlights which I did not accept due to the expense. GMC knows there is a problem with the wiring based on their offer to me. Its a safety issue as the wiring runs hot and visibility can be reduced with one light out. It's an obvious engineering issue.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Dec 012015

Headlight out 1.5 mo ago, then other side went out. Mechanics have to remove bumper to get to bulb!!! $300-400 minimum labor and parts. Struts if shock absorbers stuck down after up on rack after 2 different tire changes repairs. Car road wobbly until it was fixed at my E pensr. Is this beautiful car a lemon or what?

- Slidell, LA, USA

Dec 012015

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the bulb gasket that holds the daytime running exterior lights melted without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was serviced under an unknown recall related to the bulb gasket but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 91,000.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Sep 252015

Took 2009 Acadia slt to a dealership in Feb 2015 for the gasket recall on the headlights. The dealership marked the recall as completed. Had the oil changed today, 9-25-15, at a non-GMC dealership and had the technician tell me that the daytime light was just hanging in the assembly. After looking, I could not believe my eyes. I immediately drove over to the GMC dealership to have this looked at. They told me that the recall was only for replacing the gasket. I have a hole in the head light assembly the size of Texas on both the driver and passenger sides where the gasket was completely burned and the bulb melted the headlight assembly. And they will not fix it! really?!!! I am not paying them to fix this. This is a safety issue for the simple fact that the melting headlight assembly could easily melt the wires. The worst part is, I am sure the headlights were already damaged when the "replaced" the gaskets, which now I am sure they did not. So I have been driving around with this issue when the GMC technician was suppose to fix the gaskets. Even if the gaskets were already melted, he should have told me and he did not. This is absolutely ridiculous and removes any trust that I had with this dealership.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Sep 152011

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the day time running lights failed on several occasions. The contact indicated that the sockets and housing failed to support the power for the lighting wattage, causing the components to prematurely melt. The bulbs were replaced more than twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who recommended that the housing be replaced for the day time running light assemblies. The failure recurred with both lights shorting. The dealer, per the contact's request, disconnected the day time running lights to prevent the failure from recurring. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and provided no remedy. In addition, the contact experienced the rear liftgate closing with force, which bruised his head. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V415000 (structure) but was waiting for months to determine when the manufacturer would be able to supply the remedy and the part to repair the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 47,274. Updated 11/20/15

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Oct 132014

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While driving at approximately 65 mph, the headlights completely shut off and failed to work. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,900.

- Ticksaw, LA, USA

Feb 172015

Acadia 6-cyl

I have owned the vehicle for 3 years and had to replace the head lights 4 times.

- Covington, OH, USA

Sep 102014

Acadia 6-cyl

The daytime running light bulb has melted into the bulb socket. The extreme heat caused the light housing to disintegrate. The bulb was oem. The system is non-operable and GM says there is nothing they can do. This was engineered wrong or faulty material was used. There certainly is a potential for a fire given the extreme heat caused by this system.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Mar 022013

I purchased this vehicle from a GMC dealership on March 1st 2014. The very next day I replaced a headlight (no big deal), a few days later it was veering to the left very hard so I took it back. They said the alignment was off 45 degrees, so they fixed it. 1 month later the steering started locking up when turning at slow speeds. I had it diagnosed by the GM dealership who said it was the rack and pinion, and struts and bearings. I took it to another auto shop who said it was the power steering pump and replaced it, the locking up stopped. They said the rack and pinion were bad but could last a bit longer. A month later the air conditioner was completely out(the very first time I turned it on), and a month later the entire car is whining very loudly which I am assuming is the rack and pinion finally giving out. I have spent 20K on this vehicle and had it for 6 months now. In that 6 months it has been in the shop at least once a month. That is on top of the 3 recalls it has been in for in the 6 month period also. Now it has to go back in to fix this rack and pinion. Thankfully I purchased an extended warranty, but this steering column is not all covered. I am beyond frustrated and tired of throwing in thousands of dollars when I have had the vehicle a short amount of time, and this replacing of the steering rack is a bit ridiculous since the vehicle does not even have 100K miles on it. I was told it is unsafe to drive, but when I dont have an extra few thousand dollars to throw into it after putting a huge downpayment on it, and having a brand new Ford vehicle for 9 years and never having to put a dime into it. I am sick of it. It is wrong that GM put faulty cheap parts into their vehicles.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Jun 092014

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the low beam headlight failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the low beam head socket on the drivers side melted. As a result, the technician stated the head light capsule needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- 804-462-5304, VA, USA

May 072014

Acadia 6-cyl

I have needed to replace 7 low beam headlamps on my GMC Acadia since 2011. This week both low beam headlamps went out in a 24 hour period. Replacing the headlamps is a very expensive item due to the labor involved (removing the front wheels and wheel wells). This costs anywhere between $150 to $250 each time. I consider this a safety issue since this happens so often. This last event happened at night requiring us to drive home without any low beam headlights.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the headlights alternately failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the headlight needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 176,531.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Nov 112011

Driving down the road and notice a deer. Speed limit was 55, so we had slowed down to about 45. Deer crossing in front of us, and we almost come to a complete stop (about 10-15mph). We hit the deer on the passenger front. Get out of the car to assess the damage, and notice a fire under the grill and headlights. Air bags had deployed. Everyone evacuated the vehicle, and it was a total loss.

- Crofton, KY, USA

Jan 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

Passenger side low beam headlight failure. Replaced by recall in 2012. Now driver side low beam operates intermittently. Probably needs same repair - but recall has ended.

- Beverly, MA, USA

Apr 142013

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that upon activation, the passenger rear turn signal failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 21,000.

- Milton, WI, USA

Mar 302013

Acadia 6-cyl

Passenger side low-beam headlight failed. Upon inspection, it appears the light socket itself has melted and caused the wiring shielding to melt as well. Attempted replacement of the bulb resulted in the socket housing crumbling in my hands. The dealer claims it will cost upward of $500 to change my lightbulb. This is outrageous and clearly the fault of GMC, who seem to have purposely designed these bulbs to overhead their housings, melt, and be almost impossible to change without taking the vehicle to the dealer. I want GMC to pay for new wiring and illumination.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Jan 222013

Acadia 6-cyl

The daytime running bulbs next to the headlights overheated and melted the back of the housing that the bulb socket mounts in the back of the headlight housing. Obviously there is a design defect in the socket/harness that is causing overheating. There is a technical service bulletin on this for 2009 Acadia and other makes with the same design but this is a safety issue as it can cause a fire and also the lights can short out. The bulletin is #10-08-42-001: Low beam headlamp bulb diagnosis/replacement (inspect bulb and connector) - (May 14, 2010). This needs to be recalled.

- Cypress , TX, USA

Sep 062011

I entered approximate date that I first reported to the dealership the condition of the leather seats. The leather seats are pealing. The sun visor broke off from the mirror. The console was pealing. I reported these before that time, but had to wait until the gentleman at the dealership was available. I was not pleased with the way he treated me. He acted as if I was not smart in reference to my problems and was blaming it on wear and tear. Also I now have a headlight that has moisture in it. The dealership checked it for leaks and none were found, so how does that happen. I just had recall on light, but was inside the light. Now this is how I feel about that. It is me and my granddaughter and she was 12 when I purchased the vehicle. We used it for day to day travels and traveling. I have been and continue to be very careful and so does my granddaughter, with the way we take care of this vehicle. I am so disappointed in the fact that it was not taken care of properly. I never heard from the district representative regarding these problems and he told me she/he would get with me. GMC contacted me and the dealer several times and now it is still the same. GMC has really failed in their job in working with customers with problems.

- Mer Rouge,, LA, USA