2010 GMC Acadia electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Acadia:

2010 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 112016

Have hade it in shop several time but has not been fixed. They keep saying it somethings else ever time. Removed remote started didn't help. Took radio fuse out didn't help. Car will not start when it sits for a day or two something is draining the battery when it sits. An the dealer always say its somethings else its somethings. I'm tired of dealing with these people about my GMC Acadia.. the dvds player went out warranty won't cover it radio won't turn off warranty won't cover it warranty didn't cover removing the remote starter. Will not buy another GMC at all. Would like to know where I can sue the company an GMC warranty place. If anyone can help me please let me know who to contact to sue the company. Ms skeens. Had the problem for a 1 1/2 now

- Charleston, WV, USA

Aug 112016

Low beam headlight continues to burn out and the bulb harness does not securely hold the bulb. Multiple failures of the harness and bulbs make driving at night a safety hazard. Based on our mechanics opinion, the fault is a poor design of the part and it should be redesigned and recalled. This has happened on 4 separate occasions so far and at a cost to repair/replace each time.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 262015

Current recall states: "the affected vehicles, equipped with the power liftgate option, have gas struts that hold the power liftgate up when open. These struts may prematurely wear and the open liftgate may suddenly fall." My vehicle is currently having this problem. The back lift gate will open and then with great force closes down quickly. This is an extreme safety concern as I was struck by it on Monday 10/26/2015 when the problem initially occurred. After speaking with GMC there is currently no resolve. This is a huge safety concern as I have two young children, and no resolution is not acceptable.

- Hartland, WI, USA

Sep 242015

Vehicle is hard to steer when attempting to reverse and park or turn right or left. Steering so hard that almost cant turn at all. Checked power steering fluid and it is full. Also having problems with the vehicle radio changing stations on its own as well. This has been happening over and over again. Does not matter how fast you are driving

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 032015

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the driver parked the vehicle, turned the engine off and removed the key, but the engine continued to operate. The battery cable had to be detached in order for the vehicle to power off. After ten minutes, the contact reconnected the battery and restarted the vehicle, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and referred the contact to a dealer who diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was scheduled for the repair. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Covington, VA, USA

Jun 112012

Drivers side and passengers front headlights, these lights I have replaced multiple times even getting a ticket for 1 instance this is a safety related issue that needs to be fixed by

- Spring Creek, NV, USA

Jul 012015

Running light was out and discovered that both running lamps bulbs had melted in their sockets and electrical wires burned and shorted, this required that both lamp units be replaced. Potential electrical fire hazard. I had reported to the dealer, in 2013 that the inside of the lamp appeared smoky but their reply was that it was moisture condensation. Replaced parts number 22938888 & 22938889 the vehicle is only driven daytime, locally in 10 mile radius, and garaged all the time. --the reason for the low milage. I suspect that the unit was constructed in a manner that the heat of the lamp may not have adequate ventilation to dissipate consequently there is a slow melting of the plastic housing, this is a design failure which could lead to electrical fire.

- Pineville, NC, USA

Feb 282013

Acadia 6-cyl

Letter from congressman rigell on behalf of constituent re recall general motor vehicle. The consumer stated a year after the he purchased the vehicle, the engine light illuminated. He took the vehicle to the dealer to have it serviced. A few months later, the light illuminated again. The dealer informed him, the fuel system needed to be cleaned. After the oil was changed, the tire light illuminated, the ac stopped working, the windows were inoperative and the hood and trunk would not stay up or down.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Dec 112012

Daytime running light went out and I was charged $106.02 to have my bulb changed.after that it went out again. Then I got a recall for the daytime running lights and took it in again to have them install a new gasket and reinforcement plate. Since then my light hasd gone out a few more times. About a week after they repaired it, I smelled something burning. The light assembly had melted and the socket and wires were melted to. This recall was not fixed correctly. Looking online I see that I am not alone. I just want GM to do the right thing and repair it. This is a safety hazard.

- Montville, NJ, USA

Aug 282014

Acadia 6-cyl

My front daytime light starting going of and on and then stopped-working and when it was checked by the GMC dealer they found that the light frame has been melted and it would not hold a light. They would not fix it unless I paid $1,100 which I would not do. Called GMC and three times and each time they said they would call me back which they did not do. I called back again and without even talking to me said I agreed to pay part of the cost which I did not do. I am left with an unsafe SUV.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Mar 042014

Acadia 6-cyl

The brake lights will remain on at times even when the brakes are not being used. Also the traction control and electronic stability control will randomly turn off (frequently) and the dealerships are unable to tell me why and how to fix it. The cruise control at times will not work.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 192013

Acadia 6-cyl

Ignition switch -- we bought our 2010 GMC Acadia from the fort worth federal community credit union in 2012. Sometime in September 2013 we were on I-35W freeway driving from fort worth, Texas to Oklahoma. The speed was between 65-68 mph. Suddenly, the Acadia lost all power. I yelled "what the hell!!? the rpms dropped drastically and the speedometer went down to the low 20S. I had no power steering. I did not turn off the key. I engaged my emergency flashers. With great strength managed to steer the Acadia unto the emergency shoulder. While the car was coasting the engine cranked up again and speed increased to normal. I told my wife that maybe the engine ?vapor? locked. We discussed returning to fort worth but decided to continue thinking it was a ?vapor? lock. The Acadia ran well to Oklahoma and back home. It did not do it after that on the freeway. We noticed however that when slowing to about 5-10 mph to enter our driveway or other entrances, the power steering became very hard and difficult to control on several occasions. This problem occurred way before we had even heard of ?ignition switch" issues. The ignition switch has never been diagnosed as we did not think it was a problem at the time. Had my wife been driving by herself, she would have panicked if she lost power on the freeway and was unable to control the vehicle to guide it out of traffic into a safe area from the heavily traffic freeway. Will my car be in the recall for ignition switch..

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 102014

Windshield defrost will not function. Air only blows from dash vents. The dash controls are ineffective and will not change the mode from dash to feet or defrost. Visibility was severely impaired. I am taking the vehicle to the dealership for inspection tomorrow.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

May 012013

As everyone else is complaining, power steering feels like it's out. Especially noticed in parking lots when turning into a spot at a low speed and pulling out into traffic at intersections. I bought this $40K+ vehicle to haul my wife and 4 kids around and it's literally falling apart. Serious issues with the steering, the gas gauge only works half of the time, the hot/cold buttons are wore down as you can't even tell what the '+' & '-' are anymore (and we had these replace once already under warranty) and the windshield fluid washer pump is out (and no, it's not just a fuse-already checked). All my kids are involved in sports and we put a lot of miles on per year. Very worried about the steering with my family, trying not to drive it much as we're trying to get rid of it asap before the entire country knows that they're junk! it's out of warranty, and I can't even imagine how much it costs to repair it, so just trying to get rid of this headache of a vehicle! we are actually driving around an old 1999 Subaru outback with almost 200K miles, and it's much more dependable than our $40K+ Acadia. Very disappointed! first question is, with all the complaints, why hasn't it been recalled yet" I'm guessing there has to be so many fatalities before a recall is appointed?? second question, do the makers of the GMC Acadia sleep well at night knowing their product is very dangerous and it's just a matter of time before people start getting killed"

- Saratoga, WY, USA

Jun 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

While trying to park thegmc Acadia 2010, the steering felt like it went out on me. My husband had told me previously that he had the same issue while trying to pull out into traffic. My incident only hurt my shoulder his incident almost caused a car crash. We have also had issues with the window on the driver's side not opening until you open another window. And now the latest issue, my husband had gotten off work and started the car and all the locks went up and down really fast and the dash lights flickered off and on, then, when he was on his way home he smelled plastic burning. If this was anybody else's car I would have said it was possessed but since we're paying for it there's a problem. Does somebody have to die before they will address this problem? I filled this form out on my husband's phone.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

Apr 192013

Acadia 6-cyl

First happened at 75000 with engine and electrical system shut down. Doors don't work and radio/bluetooth works when it wants too. Exposed wires got fixed because of moisture. Steering power failure at low speed and emergency maneuvers. The dealerships cant fix it although they know its the steering pump. At 93000 a systemic failure of electrical systems again. New dealer fixed supposedly the wires again, still exposed. The car electrical does not perform over 76 degrees outside temperature. Power steering is a problem and getting worse. Finding that there are more problems with power steering from 2013 and lower models.

- Essex, CT, USA

Apr 172013

Acadia 6-cyl

I've been having issues with the A/C unit, I try to turn it on and all that it does is flash 3 times and then it goes back to off, it doesn't cool at all. I tried to research the problem in the internet and at the GMC website and it seems that is been a huge issue since 2007 for this model! I called the dealer and although they know what the problem is they insist in charge me $100 to connect it and troubleshoot it even though they know the issue. They are charging between $ 1200 and $2000 to "fix" a known problem. This problem is causing that my cd player gets hot while is playing the cd and eject them from the system. Please I need you to research and help out with this issue. They say that is a issue with low or leaking cooling system and that it needs freon or that is the HVAC system, but is the same excuse to hundreds of customers, some of whom decided to just run the vehicle without A/C during hot summers. Because of all my medical issues, I can't have the " luxury" of not having the A/C broken, nor I have the money to pay for something that is giving so many people so much problems! thanks

- Augusta, GA, USA

Dec 072012

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred multiple times. The technician diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 53,000 and the current mileage was 56,000.

- Danville, IL, USA

Dec 062012

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that he attempted to start the vehicle but it would not because the battery was dead. The contact attempted to have the vehicle jump started but to no avail. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for inspection where they jumped the battery for a third time. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the drain that was connected to the sunroof became clogged and dripped onto the fuse box. As a result, the fuse box shortened and drained the battery. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but they did not provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 31,000.

- Thornwood, NY, USA

Mar 262012

The problem only occurs at the hottest point of the day (spring, summer) when the car has been sitting for a few hours in direct sunlight and you try to use the keyless entry to unlock the doors, it doesn't work. You can start the vehicle but none of the electrical features will work (windows, sunroof, radio, etc..) and the vehicle will not go into reverse or drive. The display states that the hood is open. You can pop the hood and open and close it but the problem will not fix itself. We have had the vehicle into 2 separate dealerships in 2 different states and the vehicle won't do it while it is there. Once it cools down outside or the sun goes down, the car will start and go into drive. They have replaced the body control module and this did not fix the problem. We have been stranded on numerous occasions and it has been a pain. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue-it is getting old!!!

- Muncie, IN, USA