2.7

2011 GMC Acadia lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 GMC Acadia:

2011 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 222016

Acadia

The daytime running lamp on the driver side completely melted and began melting the surrounding casing. The other daytime running lamp is beginning to do the same thing. Possible fire hazard. These are the original lamps when I purchased the vehicle new.

- Summerfield, NC, USA

Jun 172016

Acadia

We bought this car in Feb. 2016 used with only 66,000 miles. About 2 months after we purchased it, the passenger low beam light went out. I purchased a bulb to replace, but it proved to be difficult. I had 3 open recalls so I brought car in to dealer. The night before bringing it in, driver low beam light went out. I asked dealer to replace bulbs while vehicle was there. Received a phone call from the dealer that the bulbs could not be replaced because headlight housing was melted!!!! this seems to be a recurring problem with Acadias and a recall should be issued!!!!

- Terrytown, LA, USA

Apr 152016

Acadia

The daytime lights, the bulbs keep burning out. I have replaced both the left and right side lo beam lights 4 ttime now. This tends to be a problem for the GMC Acadia and should have a recall on it to correct the issue. Many appear to have the actual sockets melted I have not experience that but within the lat 12 months I have replaced the lo beam lights 4 times this should be investigated as this time they both went out within the same drive and I was left with only hi beam but luckily I was close to home.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jan 012016

Acadia

The daytime lights, the bulb has melted itself into the socket. You cannot just replace the bulb, you have to replace the socket also. This has happened on the right and left side. I did not know there was a problem with the bulbs being too hot until I was going to replace a burned out bulb. The I realized the bulb had melted into the socket. This tends to be a problem for the GMC Acadia and should have a recall on it to correct the issue.

- Somerset, KY, USA

Feb 222016

Acadia

We bought this vehicle as a certified used vehicle on March 11, 2015. Since then I have had to replace the passenger side low beam headlamp twice and the drivers side once. I too have researched the internet and found the same issue with many of the same vehicles. The low beam headlamps are a safety item that is required to drive at night so there should be something done by GM. I would invite any of the customer care managers at GM to contact me.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jan 062016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. While pulling into the driveway, the contact noticed that the driver side headlight failed and the passenger side headlight melted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that both headlight assemblies needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000. The VIN was unknown.

- Slaton, TX, USA

Jan 212016

Acadia

The day time running light has failed and melted the headlight housing.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jan 302015

Acadia

We purchased our vehicle in June of 2014. We have had to replace the driver's side headlight 4 times since we purchased the vehicle. Since the tire needs to be removed and the wheel well cover needs to be removed in order to change the light, we have to pay $80 each time we change the bulb. 4 times in less than two years is ridiculous. I have seen other complaints regarding overheating bulbs, so I will have that looked at next.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Oct 232015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the daytime running lights failed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Nov 012015

Acadia

Daytime running lights bulb melting, both left and right side, resulting in burning of headlight housing. Bulb can no longer be held in place because mounting fixture is melted away. The existing bulbs are made of plastic. I believe the filament is overheating the plastic bulb and causing a potential fire hazard.

- Pinon Hills, CA, USA

Jun 302015

Acadia

My 2011 GMC Acadia denali had a drl go out. It was taken to the dealership and a new bulb was replaced. They informed me it still did not work with just a new bulb. The Acadia was then taken back to the dealership and was looked at again and they were able to fix the light and get it running. I got home a week later and noticed the passenger side bulb was now out. As I looked into the housing I can see the headlight housing was slightly melted and becoming severely cracked where the bulb is no longer being secured by the light. After seeing that I proceeded to look at the original light that was out and that housing was the same with a large piece of the chrome light housing missing, and again the light was just hanging inside the headlight and not secured to the housing. Looking at this thread and other forums, this is a big problem with GMC Acadia's. I have not taken the car back to the dealership but certainly if this is happening like this it was a poor design by GM and should be repaired by the dealership at no cost. I hope enough people bring this up as a fire hazard, to make it become a company recall.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Jul 162014

Acadia

My passenger day time running light burnt out 9 months ago and when I had it replaced they told me the connector was a little warm and to watch it. It just burnt out again on June 3rd, and I had it replaced June 10th. They told me the connector was hot and I should have it looked at in the service center to find out why it was hot. It was burnt out June 11th, and I had a service appointment set up for June 15th. They don't know what the problem is and it will cost me hundreds of dollars just for them to look. If it is getting so hot this could be a major issue.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Apr 242015

Acadia 6-cyl

Took 2011 GMC Acadia in for regular service today and asked the dealership to change the front drivers side daytime headlight bulb since it had not been working for a few days. Was informed by the service technician that the bulb socket was corroded and melted and will need a whole new headlamp costing 995 for the headlamp and 400 for labor. I asked what could have caused this to happen and was told it seemed to be a problem with GMC Acadia's as they have seen similar problems with others of the same make and year. Obviously this is not a result of normal wear and tear and a manufacturing issue that needs to be looked into. The service technician said there's a possibility that the other side may melt and corrode as well as that is what they have been experiencing with other Acadia's recently.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Apr 242015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. While the vehicle was being serviced by the dealer, it was discovered that the light bulb melted inside the head lamp. The contact stated that the dealer was unable to remove the light bulb because the bulb melted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Lake Forest , IL, USA

Feb 152015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. The contact noticed that the front passenger side headlight had burned out. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was repaired; however, the failure recurred on the driver side approximately two weeks later. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was diagnosed that the headlight housing melted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jun 032014

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the passenger side running lights malfunctioned and the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The contact was informed that the headlight assembly melted and cracked, which causing the running light to malfunction. The light bulbs were replaced but the same failure recurred on the driver side light assembly. While driving in the rain, the vehicle suddenly began to hydroplane and the traction control light and check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that water was present inside the engine and the number five coil was damaged. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000....updated 05/14/15

- Piedmont, MO, USA

Apr 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

Daytime running lights keep burning out. They have been replaced 8 times in 35316 miles (current mileage on vehicle). The internet has many people stating the same problem with melted wiring harness, melted housing and more. I have been in contact with GM and they refuse to recognize it as an issue. This is safety equipment and constant failure is not a safe condition.

- West Grove, PA, USA

Sep 242014

Acadia 6-cyl

We just bought a 2011 Acadia denali at the end of August 2014. We took it to the dealer for two recalls and asked them to fix the burnt out daytime running light on the driver side. The dealer said they could not replace the bulb by itself but needed to replace the entire headlamp assembly. They said it was due to the housing and connectors being melted. The dealer also looked at the passenger side and said it was melted there as well, potentially from the heat of the bulb. We were quoted a price close to $2000 for the fix. The end result is we still have a burnt out running light. I would assume this would be a recall due to the risk of fire created by the extreme heat which is melting the headlamp housing. Unfortunately, it is not a recall at this time. I have looked online and have come across a lot of people that have the same issue. Definite safety hazard.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Oct 102014

Acadia 6-cyl

I own a 2011 GMC Acadia denali with ~58,800 miles. I noticed that the driver side daytime running lamp (drl) was not working/reflecting as it should. When reviewing the issue, I noticed the drl had melted the light housing and appeared to deform the bulb socket and the wiring connected to the bulb socket. I then took the vehicle to a local dealer to look at and got an initial estimated price of ~$1,100 to fix. All parts discussed are the original parts installed by the manufacturer. I got both a GMC customer service agent and the local dealer service manager involved. Both parties agreed to step up and cover a majority of the cost. After reading other similar complaints on this website and other websites, GMC should consider implementing a recall for safety concerns of a fire starting. I also believe that I should not have to come up with any money for the repair; the repair should be 100% covered by GMC.

- Alamosa, CO, USA

Aug 292014

Acadia

I noticed headlight wasn't working and went to auto parts store to replace bulb. Attendant looked at it and said plastic assembly holding headlight bulb was melted and discolored as if the bulb was overheated.. we worried that it could have caught on fire so took it to sandoval GMC where we purchased the vehicle new. Left it to have replaced and they called and said the other headlamp assembly has melted as well. Both would need to be replaced to insure no danger of fire. The quote to replace $1,917.01 yes that's right one thousand nine hundred dollars and one cent. They said they would try to get a better price and they did. When we picked up the car they took an "insurance" discount off in the amount of $1,150.20. Still our cost of $824.32 was beyond belief. If this happened to two of two oem parts think how many are on the road. Do I hear "recall"?

- Westerville, OH, USA