CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

2001 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Nov 022015

Civic

"takata recall" I totalled my car because the steering locked while I was driving. I lost control and flipped it. I was stuck in the seat belt because it would not release. I have airbag dermatitis from the airbag chemicals.

- Felton, DE, USA

Nov 032014

Civic 4-cyl

2001 Honda Civic LX drivers seat belt fastener, that is mounted to the side of the seat and the floor of the vehicle will not immediately attach. The consumer stated he had to hit the latch plate with his fist, into the fastener opening or the buckle several times to get it to hold onto or to permanently attach.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Oct 012014

Civic 4-cyl

I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX that I just got back from the dealer in the spring of 2014 after fixing a recall on the air bag system. I now have an issue with the seat belt not latching in cold conditions and when this happens I get an SRS light on the dash which makes the safety restraint system inoperable meaning if there would be a crash the safety system would not function and air bags would not deploy. There seems to be widespread talk of this same problem on many other Honda Civics in the online forums I looked at. If the air bag system was worthy of a recall wouldn't malfunctioning seat belts be just as equally as important safety issue. I looked at Honda's corporate site under safety and they state "safety is our priority" I just talked with Honda customer service and they told me that I would have to go to the dealer and pay the $100 dollar diagnostic fee and also pay for the repair on top of that. That doesn't sound like the company that says safety is our priority to me. I have never had issues with seatbelt latching on any other brand of vehicle I have ever owned and I think Honda needs to be held accountable to their own statements on the safety of their vehicles.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Mar 102013

Civic 4-cyl

I bought this vehicle and then found out there are $3000 minimum issues with the vehicle. Including replacing the transmission because of the defective torque converter, the airbags aren't working properly, the rear window won't roll down. Also, the evaporation sensor and canister need to be replaced and I cannot find the right part to replace it. The SRS light is on because of the seatbelt issue, the check engine light is on because of the transmission problem from the torque converter and the cruise control doesn't work even though the lights say that it is engaging.

- Winooski, VT, USA

Apr 012011

Civic

At times when attempting to buckle the seat belt, the buckle will come undone. Thus, causing the belt to unfasten.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Jul 012010

Civic

SRS light came on in July 2010, I took it in to my local mechanic to take a look. The computer code said it was a faulty seatbelt buckle assembly so they ordered the part and replaced it. A few weeks later the SRS light came back on. I took it back to my mechanic and they said it was likely the whole SRS unit that is bad because they could not get the computer code to clear. The mechanic suggested I take it to the Honda dealer to get it fixed since it is a safety issue and should be covered under warranty. I took it to a Honda dealer but was told it would not be covered under warranty, regardless of the issue. I contacted Honda America Corp and they explained that only the seatbelts are covered under an extended warranty and that the supplemental restraint system is not covered, as it is an additional safety feature. I have no working airbags now and Honda will not fix this, despite there being recalls for the same issue on other 2001 Civics

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 152010

Civic

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Civic. While driving on a wet road at 45mph, she lost control of the vehicle and crashed into an embankment. The vehicle flipped over three times. The contact was injured from being ejected from the seat belt and out of the vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The passenger was also injured and hospitalized. A police report was available. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an impound lot by the police. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- King George, VA, USA

Jan 012008

Civic

My horn stopped working and my SRS light came on about a year and a half ago. The dealer originally told me it had to do with the wiring... costing me $300 which I could not afford to repair. I took the car in for the air bag recall and now they are saying the SRS light is on because of a defect in the seat belt buckle ($200)- but why would that make my horn stop working? there are a lot of complaints and this needs to be recalled as this is incredibly unsafe and obviously widespread!!! Honda also needs to recall the transmission problems. I had fought them and they paid for half of the repair costs when my transmission dangerously and quickly went out in the middle of traffic during rush hour about three years ago. These are major safety issues!! unfortunately I cannot afford the repairs but I am scared to drive the car with the SRS light on. I bought this car because of the supposed reliability and cheap maintenance. It is ridiculous that Honda is not taking car of the SRS light problem and transmission problem!!!

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Jul 012008

Civic

I have a 2001 Honda Civic ex with 80K. The SRS light remains on. Diagnosed twice by independent dealerships as SRS faulty. This should be a lifetime guaranty from defects. About $600 to replace. I have not as yet replaced the unit.

- Providence, RI, USA

May 222008

Civic

2001 Honda Civic si SRS light came on, after speaking with a few Honda owners with same problem they all said there was caused by a faulty driver side belt buckle, also after researching on the internet noticed alot of complaints about same problem with SRS and faulty buckle, went on to contact Honda who also told me yes 99 % of the time the SRS light comes on that specific car it is a faulty buckle, and this problem deactivates the airbag so if there's an accident the airbags wont deploy so if there's that many defected buckles for 2001 Civic si shouldn't they consider a recall?

- Mississauga, 00, USA

Apr 052010

Civic

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Civic. She stated that the supplemental restraint system (SRS) sensor light illuminated on the instrument panel. The warning indicator remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The failure was related to the driver side seat belt. The vehicle had not been repaired for the malfunction. The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact that the vehicle was not covered under the warranty and the owner would be responsible for the repair cost. The failure and current mileages were 132,000.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Mar 122010

Civic

SRS light stays on in car. Getting car looked at next Saturday because that was the soonest I could get in, but after reading numerous internet posts, as well as formal complaints here, I am concerned that this may be expensive to fix. I drive thirty miles to work each day on busy highways, and am petrified that if I get into an accident, that my seatbelt or airbags may not work. This really needs to be investigated, and a recall issued. I will not know until next week how much this is going to cost, but as far as I am concerned, it should be free. I, and many others like myself, paid a lot of money for a vehicle that is generally applauded for it's longevity and safety, and I feel that we all deserve better than this. If I wanted a vehicle without seatbelts and airbags, that's what I would have purchased.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Jul 142005

Civic

For years I have had problems with my front driver's side safety belt latch. I have to push it in several times before it latches. Some times I think it latches but then a few miles down the road the latch lets go and my safety belt recoils across my lap. The safety belt only latches properly approximately 1 out of 10 times; therefore, I'm dealing with this problem almost everyday I drive the car. Nothing has been done to correct the problem, the dealership told me since the car is out of warranty it would be at my cost to fix the problem. Expected cost to replace the belt latch is over $250.

- Mount Wolf, PA, USA

Jul 182009

Civic

SRS light remains on possibly to the defective seat belt sensor as others have complained about. Presently I need to replace front struts $800 - normal wear and tear for a car with 95000 miles on it. I hate the new Honda Civic - I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed it so I decided to keep mine and have the normal stuff fixed. But - this is something that I am not the only one complaining about. Let's get the SRS light covered under a recall.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Dec 082009

Civic

The SRS light on my dashboard of Honda Civic 2001 stays on. Upon working with an authorized dealer, the diagnosis of this error is "left front seatbelt buckle switch failure" (code 09-3). I was verbally told that this means in event of a crash the airbags would not deploy. I cursory search of internet forums suggests my case is not an isolated incident. When I requested the dealership and subsequently Honda motor co to resolve this issue, which has to be considered safety related, I was told it is not covered under warranty. Given the potential of airbag non deployment, I would request urgent attention in this matter.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Nov 162009

Civic

SRS warning light (supplemental restraint system) stays on. Problem started at 9400 miles while under warranty, car now has 55,000 miles.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Feb 072009

Civic

Noticed that the SRS light was on when I started up my car. I took it to the garage to be diagnosed and was told that it was the seat belt on th drivers side and the part was ordered and fixed. Cost was $540. The car only has 52,000 kg and one driver and has been serviced as recommended.

- Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, 00, USA

Sep 292004

Civic

The SRS light came on and stayed on while driving, which per the owner manual indicated a failure in the air bag and seat belts. If the vehicle was in an accident these components will not function. Dealership will be contacted.

- Visalia, CA, USA

May 272004

Civic

The driver was unable to place anything over 80 pounds on the passenger seat. If this happens the SRS light appeared on the dashboard and remained on until the mechanic reset it. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The mechanic informed the driver that it was designed that way. The mechanic has reset it over five times and the problem still occurs at this time.

- Spring Branch, TX, USA

Aug 242002

Civic

Seat belt in rear of vehical twisted on passenger when trying to release and tightened around passenger's neck causing injuries.

- Orlando, FL, USA