Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 19 of 34)

Oct 102008

Civic EX D17a2

the civic i have now was my mother's and she is a safe driver and upkeep her vehicle well.she got a new 2006 altima so i took the civic it was really kool gettin my own car for free,after a few months i drop in a cool air intake and a custom exhaust and the civic was really movin nice till last year October my transmission just fail on me while driving to work.i did not think much of it till i get the bill and now again this new tranny i got fail on me.i love my car but come on honda sucks now it costin me another 1200 for it to be fixed i think is best i bought my own car a Mazda i kno i would not have this problem wit them.i would have paid 2400 and get me a better car

- , Richmond Hill, NY, USA

May 232009

Civic LX

2001 Honda Civic LX with 125,000 miles = When leaving from a dead stop the transmission slipped between gear changes. I am calling Honda tomorrow, to complain, it's a $2,800 fix! Within 65 miles of the first slip the car died! The car had always been properly maintained, as recommended and now this bombshell.

- , California, KY, USA

Feb 022009

Civic LX 1.8L V4

Same story as many unfortunate Honda owners on this site...

at 120k miles had to fully rebuild my automatic transmission on my well-maintained 2001 Honda CivicLX. No sense in complaining more, this sad story has been played-out by many others across the country. Honda was ABSOLUTELY no help.

So...lesson learned. Will not purchased another Honda !!! I will do my best to dissuade

all others within my sphere on influence to stay away from Honda. Go with Toyota, Mazda, or Ford; all vehicles of which I've had good experiences.

Honda should be embarrassed and ashamed of not owning-up to a serious engineering design flaw. I admit: I was fooled into believing Honda was a cut above all the rest. No more. Honda be dammed!

- , Welcome, MD, USA

May 232009

Civic EX 1.7L

the transmission has failed for the second time with 109,000 miles, the first in 2006 with 79000 miles, was rebuilt by aamco. of course I did not buy the extended warranty. Don't know what I am going to do with it, hate to spend any more money on this thing. I bought it new because I wanted a reliable car, but have had nothing but problems; wheel bearings, steering rack, ac, fuel pump, ball joints, power windows.

- , St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jul 062006

Civic EX 1.7L

My 2001 Honda civic experienced auto transmission failure, and was rebuilt including torque converter buy AAMCO

- , St. Petersburg, FL, USA

May 152009

Civic EX

This POS Honda Civic is a nightmare! Why are Americans so brainwashed to think that Honda's are so damn reliable? I will NEVER buy one again! The car was purchased brand new in 2001. I had all the scheduled maintenance done on time at every interval. Transmission flushes and fluid changes on time etc. Trans started whining when cold and slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear then I took it in... $2200 bucks. Screw that! I will not put any more money into this piece of crap! I would advise that you change your way of thinking about Honda's as well. Don't just buy it cause it says Honda on the back! Get real!

- , Ann Arbor, MI, USA

May 012009

Civic LX 1.7L V4

Engine Light came on WITHIN SIGHT of the e-check place on my birthday (what? you all wait until the last possible moment, too, don't you?). Engine Light is an auto-fail at the e-check place.

The code was P0740 (possible TCC failure).

The local car place reset it but it came on within the 10 minute drive to the e-check place. Took it to another place that replaced the tranny fluid, light back on before I made it to the e-check again.

Long and short of it? It wasn't electrical problems or even the TCC (Torque Converter) itself - the entire transmission was going. Before they started the job I called Honda of America and they basically told me the dealership was the only one that could provide assistance. I own two Civics (I also have a 2003), it didn't help my case. Cost me $2820 at the local Honda Dealership.

- , Brunswick Hills, OH, USA

May 112009

Civic EX 1.7L 4 cyl

just bought the car last week. apparently already had the dreaded transmission failure countless others have experienced here. i will also echo the calls for a some type of class action or a honda recall, or honda helping financially in these matters. college kid, already had my parents help me with the cost of the car, cannot afford myself this $2200 repair. the car is in really great condition, but as others here noted, it's jerky upon acceleration and shifting between 1st and 2nd, won't go beyond those at all, won't travel beyond 30-40 mph, though i'm not experiencing the sudden death others have. i am really posting this as a first step in seeking help from honda.

i'm not the original owner and do not own any of the service records, however, the car is in pristine condition, everything works great, i have little doubt it was serviced correctly [though obviously cannot verify this]. it has 180k miles, so with most cars a problem here and there is expected, but a major component with a $2000+ repair is a lot regardless. because of the breadth of problems these transmissions are causing people, i believe honda should step up and provide aid to consumers who otherwise adore Honda. I used to think of Honda like a they have a blemish, a big one.

- , Munster, IN, USA

May 152009

Civic LX

Bought my 2001 Honda Civic LX new off the lot and have kept all the maintenance up on it (oil changes, etc). Never had a single problem with this car, ever. Was driving yesterday and the car suddenly felt like I had knocked the transmission into neutral. The engine was revving when I applied the gas, but I wasn't going anywhere. The car would only barely creep forward, like it was just coasting on its own forward momentum. I noticed the check engine light at this time...had trouble understanding that it even WAS the check engine light as it had NEVER lit up on the dash before. Pulled over immediately and called for a tow.

I am still waiting to hear from the mechanic, but after reading a few pages on this site, I have a sinking feeling I will be replacing my transmission. I, like most of the people on this site, bought a Honda because of their excellent reputation as reliable and lasting vehicles. This transmission issue is a disgrace to Honda for not stepping up and taking the lead for what is obviously a massive problem for consumers who have bought their product in good faith.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 132009

Civic EX V6

*First I would like to thank everyone in Texas from this website that emailed me to give Advice, Support, and Shared Their Experience with me. I only contacted people in Texas because that's where i live and it was easier for me to verify information. I am sad to say that everyone's Honda Failure story was true. And They were also right when they said Honda is turning it's back on consumers and acting negligently, by ignoring this product default. HERE IS MY STORY.

My 2001 Honda Civic just quit working a few months ago right before the Holidays. I didn't know what had happened to my "reliable car," My cousin who also owns a Honda (different year) started doing some online investigating to help me solve this Honda Civic Mystery. He uncovered tons of information about this Honda product failure and directed me to this site; where i read excerpt after excerpt from this never ending Honda Transmission Failure Horror Novel. So I went straight to the source of all this malfunction and called American Honda Motor Company. Here is the follow up letter i sent after my first phone call.

"Mr. Terry Nielsen Manager, Automobile Customer Service

Customer Concern & Request Mr. Nielsen; I am a Honda Civic owner in,TX. I had some concerns when my Civic recently stopped or 'died' on the road while I was driving. I called Honda Customer Service near the beginning of November and spoke to Mr. Eric Osuna; below are the details. Honda Civic LX sedan 2001.

Purchased New Summer of 2001 Lute Riley Honda 1331 North Central Expy. Richardson, Texas 75080 Financed By: American Honda Finance Company

1st Scheduled Service Lute Riley Honda 1331 North Central Expy. Richardson, Texas 75080

2nd Scheduled Service @ 95,000 miles David McDavid Honda of Frisco 1601 Dallas Pkwy Frisco, Texas 75034

Regular Oil Changes & Other Services David McDavid Honda of Frisco 1601 Dallas Pkwy Frisco, Texas 75034 & Bankston Honda 601 Waters Ridge dr. Lewisville, Texas 75057

I had my car towed to a nearby Auto Service Center in Lewisville not knowing the severity of the problem; but I have since been informed that my car's transmission failed. The work needed is costly (over $1,000) I am requesting assistance from AHMC to cover the cost of my Civic's failed transmission. From what I have researched; I know that AHMC Customer Service did help other customers with the same situation, cover costs of the transmission work needed. I ask that American Honda Motor Co. Customer Service also offer that assistance to me. This occurrence was beyond regular wear & tear and even out of the capability of 'Preventable Maintenance'.

In closing; I cannot think of any words or phrasing to fully express the trouble of not having my car has caused or the financial strain of this emergency."

American Honda Corp did call me after they received that letter. Through our conversation she admitted that before returning my call she had called all the dealerships that i had listed to make sure that i was telling the truth (1 or 2 consumers suggested that if you maintained your car with Honda you would be deemed a Loyal Customer and they might discount the transmission work) The Corp Rep did find that i was truthful about my car maintenance.....but said the reason that i was denied Honda assistance was because my car had worked up to 140,000 miles (so I'm sorry folks but Honda seems surprised that their own cars will even run after 100,000miles)

My Holiday did suffer a bit because I spent over $1,000 dollars on repairs at an auto shop (Not Honda shop because they cost over $2,000 and even they can't completely repair such a defect) My 2 letters to Honda Corp were a little less pleasant. The only thing that I ever got from them was "I'm so sorry for your inconvenience." I'm like don't be sorry be helpful. By the time I had decided to quit wasting stamps I had:

1. Reported American Honda Corp to the Better Business Bureau 2. Sent 3 customer service letters to American Honda Corp 3. Completed 2 customer service surveys to AHC 4. Conducted 5+ calls with AHC.

Bottom line American Honda Motor Company ..Does Not Value Us. What You Can Do: hit them where they hit the not by their products or their affiliate's products. Spread The Word!!!

- , Levisville, TX, USA

May 052009

Civic LX

Like some other folks who have posted here, I began to hear a whining noise when I started the car and when I accelerated for the first few miles. It was much worse when it was cold. We checked drive belts and whatever else we could think of but could not find the source of the whine. (It sounded like "YEEEE YEYEYEYE", if that helps). After I found this website, I asked two places -- both a Honda dealership and a Toyota dealership -- to look at the transmission to make sure that it wasn't the transmission that was making the noise (and so, also failing). Both places told me that the transmission appeared to be okay (though the Honda dealership in Mishawaka, Indiana, managed to find $1300 worth of other repairs they said I should take care of, none of which were necessary).

Then, one week later exactly, as I was driving to work, suddenly the car revved up very high between 2nd and 3rd gear (over 3,000 RPMs) and wouldn't shift into 3rd gear for several seconds, and the "check engine" light came on. I took it straight to the Toyota dealer who has always been honest with me. They ran an engine scan and got the code P0370 -- "incorrect gear ratio." Which, it turns out, is a problem that requires a transmission replacement. Because of the Honda dealership's absolute unwillingness to treat me like an intelligent person (because I am female?) and their dismissiveness of my complaints (after a few email exchanges, the service manager began typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS to let me know that he was annoyed), I am getting a rebuilt Jasper transmission (with a much better warranty) put in my car this week. My transmission should not have failed at 88,400 miles -- like everyone else here, I bought a Honda because it is "supposed to go forever." I am really disgusted, saddened, and furious that my Civic is going to require nearly half its value in repairs, and I am also disgusted with the local Honda dealership (even the regional office for Honda said they understood why I wouldn't want to take it back there). My family members have long been Honda owners, but after this, we will be considering other options.

- , Sb, IN, USA

Jan 202006

Civic ES 4 cyl

I bought my 2001 Honda Civic with 54 k miles. I was doing great until the begining of 2006. My transmission went out. I had to pay a little over 2,000 dollars to fix it. Then In 2008 the transmission went out again..being that I would be upside down I fixed it again in a panic bc I needed a car to get back in forth. I was living in a city with no friends or family around. So, I once again paid over $2,000 dollars to have it fixed. Well, the damn car is in and out of the shop every other month. Now the barrings and CV joints are busted, o2 sensor is out...THIS CAR IS A PIECE OF CRAP. I WILL NEVER BUY A HONDA AGAIN! If you are having problems the best advice I can give you is...GET RID OF IT BC YOUR PROBLEM WILL ONLY GET BIGGER AND WORSE.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Apr 182009

Civic LX 1.7L V4

My 2001 honda civic lx was working fine then one day, the car will not go pass 5mph even accelerating.the car started slipping and only picked up speed when or change gear when i started breaking.after parking the car for 8 hours, it worked fine until last night, but this ti me, the engine shuts off and it took me several tries to start it, then it happened again when i was trying to start my mechanic is my best friend.we even go for lunch together sometimes.

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Apr 242009

Civic ES 1.7L

This is in addition to about 300 previous complaints posted about 2001 Civic Honda(who knows what the real number of consumers who hasn't posted?), owners who had transmission problem. One day going home from an errand, as soon as I got off the freeway/interstate, as I was crossing the road from the ramp my car would just run from 20 to 25k as I tried to accelerate, the rpm would shoot up, but never the speed. Thank God, it got me home even if it was just crawling. As soon as I got home, it just stopped moving even if the engine was running. What was curious was, it never gave me an indication prior to the problem. To make it short, in the Honda dealership services, diagnoses was a transmission failure and needed to be replaced. What a shame, I had such a high regard for Honda cars. They need to admit there is a quality problem in their transmission built in this particular model and should try to help the owners if they want to keep their customers, specially in these hard economic times.

- , Camden, SC, USA

Apr 212009

Civic LX V4

My 2001 Honda Civic LX never had a problem, never saw the shop. I changed the oil, and fluids, etc. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I started to hear a whistling noise from the front of the car. Nothing too crazy, just something "new". So I drove to pick up my girlfriend last night, and the car was driving fine. I got on the highway, and then noticed that 1st gear would slip. I knew something was wrong, so I pulled over. I tried moving it into a parking lot, and the car would shoot up to 6,000 RPM and without even going past 20 mph. Also, the car would not go in reverse unless you floored the pedal.

I know that there are full fluids in the car. I called a friend who does transmissions - and they quoted me a rebuilt for $1,685.

The car was good to me, but I'm going to get something new. NOT a Honda.

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Apr 172009

Civic EX

I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe with 80,000 miles, and the transmission quit engaging. I called the Honda 800 number, and was told that nothing could be done. I explained the only reason I bought the car was because it was a Honda. I also told them I will never buy another Honda. I can not believe there has not been a class action suit brought against Honda for the 2001 Honda Civic. Based upon the research I have gathered on the internet, I am not the only 2001 Honda Civic owner that has had a problem with the transmission.

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Apr 172009

Civic EX

Just wanted to add my voice to the noise. Just had complete dealer service including total transmission oil replacement including the torque converter oil. Then, the car dumped my daughter 400 miles from home in L.A. yesterday, with a dead transmission. I had no clue that there was such a massive problem! What’s really sick is that if it is mostly a torque converter failures, there is really nothing too mechanical about them. The only thing that can go wrong with them is if the materials used to make the propellers and transfer spline are substandard.

- , Fairfield, CA, USA

Apr 142009

Civic LX Inline 4

Only 73K miles on this one; bought it new. Did maintenance as scheduled (and only through Honda Dealers); it just had its regular maintenance done in February, and also had a timing belt replaced as per regular maintenance. And then this happens out of the blue (yesterday the car would respond very erratically, not speed up and and sometimes would speed up to 40 mph). Had it towed in to Honda Dealer (thanks AAAPlus) who informed me today that the transmission needs to be replaced (have been quoted the magic $3,000 to fix it). Have called in to American Honda to see if they will help out in any way. Aaargh!! did not need this in these economic times!

Ok, finally after getting in touch with American Honda a couple of times, got some positive response. AHC called up the dealer and said that they would be willing to pick up any charge over $1800 but below that would be our responsibility. Since the cost of the rebuild was quoted at 3000, this is decent (I know, a complete pick-up would have been fantastic, but still 1200 is better than nothing). So touchwood, things work out fine. The dealer has ordered the transmission and it is going in tomorrow.

- , Potomac, MD, USA

Apr 112009

Civic EX

I have 55000 miles on my 2001. I hardly drive it take immaculate care of it and always get it serviced when it states too, oil change, 10k 20k 30k 45k 50k mile service etc. The dealer stated it was "defective parts." This should be a class action law suit. I called the 1800 number to Honda and demanded they fix my transmission and cylinder head of my crankshaft. This shouldn't be happening to a car that is barely driven. I am livid.

Honda stated they would only charge me 289$ to repair transmission as they value me as a customer and since I was so diligent with its upkeep. I still have to pay for all the sensors-crank shaft, maintenance, timing belt, 60,000 service, so the total bill is 1,960 but overall I think that's better than 3k for new transmission or 1900 to rebuild plus all of that. So I believe they saved me 2k. So go Honda.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Apr 102009

Civic EX 1.7L V-Tech

I bought my 2001 Honda Civic Ex brand new off the Honda lot. I did this because I am a single mother of 4 and needed to have a reliable car that would last a long time. Recently I began to have problems with overheating and took to a mechanic to have repaired. He said that I had a blown headgasket and also needed a new radiator. Repairs cost me $1600.00. Also replaced the catalytic converter after the first mechanic said if overheating problem continued I may need to replace it also. More $$$ 427.00. Drove the car away and after about 40 miles the same thing was happening so I took it back to the first mechanic and he said there was nothing more

he could do for my car. He would not refund my money and would not fix my car either. I then took it to the Honda dealership and the mechanic there said everything looked fine except that he thought the transmission might need to be replaced soon. Being a single mom of 4 and not made of $$$$$$!!!!!, having just been stiffed for work that probably didn't need to be done in the first place this was definitely not good news. Drove the car a few more miles before the transmission was GONE TOTALLY!!! I too bought my Honda for the reliability that I assumed was great. Boy am I disappointed in Honda and also feel that Honda should stand behind their product and replace transmissions for all. I am definitely for a RECALL and wish I had the money to start a class action lawsuit. Looking for a dependable car now, probably a TOYOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Chester, CA, USA