CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,333.00

1. replaced transmission (257 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (153 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 18 of 34)

Aug 132009

Civic DX

Just got off the highway, engine light came on, rolled into a plaza parking lot and waited for the tow truck. Driver said it sounds like the transmission. I said to the driver, But it's a Honda Civic!

Aren't Honda Civics known for reliability? I guess not any more. I would have traded it in, but I just spent a bunch of money on rear brakes and suspension, so I'm sucking it up. 170,000 km (105,000 miles)

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Aug 002009

Civic DX

Two years ago the Honda dealer replace the torque converter at 68000 miles. Now at 98000 miles it has the same problem. The warranty on the original repair is expired. The dealer says to pay to have the work done again.

- , Waltham, MA, US

Apr 152009

Civic DX

I bought my first car, my 2001 Honda Civic, new from the dealer in 2001. I chose Honda thinking that it would be the best buy for my young buck. I was obviously wrong. Like everyone else describes here, after maintaining her perfectly, upon starting her up one morning in April 2009 she ran weak and slow, revving between 2nd & 3rd with no acceleration and jerking, she has 150,000 miles on her. I took her to the dealer and was informed that she needed a new tranny! That would cost us 2-5,000$!! Huh? I accepted this and she's been sitting in the side yard ever since (we cannot afford that expense right now). After researching this site and the NHTSA ODI, I realized that hundreds, if not thousands have experienced this trans failure! In fact, A lot of other Honda Models from 2001 have had bonafide recalls based on tranny failure! I called Honda and the gentleman informed that "my particular VIN" didn't qualify for any help from Honda on replacement. So I made a report thru ODI, so should you! We have to get a class action lawsuit like the owners of the 2001 Accura, Odyssey, Passport and others have done to fix their tranny failure problems! I am extremely displeased and will not be purchasing Honda vehicles for myself, my children and will deter my friends from doing so also. Thank you

- , Sacramento, CA, US

Aug 152009

Civic LX 1.7L

I think it is programed at exactly 110,000 miles for the transmission to break.

- , Silver Spring, MD, USA

Aug 142009

Civic

While driving down the interstate the check engine light came on, and within seconds the transmission began slipping. I took the next exit, and while I was driving up the hill the car stopped completely in the middle of an 8 lane road. Luckily it was me, and not my wife and 11 month old son. My repair shop said it would cost $2,900. They have replaced over 30 of these. NO RECALL!!! NOT A SAFETY ISSUE!!! BS!!!

- , Encinitas, CA, USA

Jun 302009

Civic EX

The same tranny problem as everybody.

This was the first car I ever bought, how lucky for me! I got it used for $4800 and the transmission fails about three months later. I've saved up money for a long time to buy a car and I get this piece of crap. I took it to the dealership and they wanted $3100 to fix it. That's more than half of what I spent for the entire car, and I don't have that kind of money :|. I'm furious. I'm about to call Honda and complain, probably to no avail. Class action law suit? I'm in.

- , Walhonding, OH, USA

Oct 292002

Civic LX V4

I was driving with my Aunt when the car wouldn't move from a stop light. She was already having problems with the transmission, but the dealer "couldn't reproduce" the transmission slippage, so they never did anything about it until the whole transmission failed.

- , Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Aug 092009

Civic LX V4

I didn't notice any particular problems with my transmission until yesterday when the "maintenance required" light came on. My car stopped moving forward (it still worked in reverse, which was good because that's how I got to the side of the road).

I had my toddler in the car and was very, very lucky that my husband was just ahead of me, so he was able to drive us all home (and verify that the car indeed had a major problem, not some stupid little thing). I had the car towed to my trusty local repair shop, which said the transmission was gone and will cost me $3,000 to replace. The local Honda dealer quoted me $5,500, so I'm going with my usual repair shop. We also called Honda Customer Service, which said they couldn't do anything for us. Grrr.

- , Rockville, MD, US

Jan 302009

Civic LX 1.8L

Check engine light came on. Transmission was working fine-no slips, no noise. Honda dealer said the torque converter needed replacing. Just after the warranty ran out.

- , Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Jul 302009

Civic LX Non Vtec I4

Before you all read my story - I'd like to get a group together and protest in front of a Honda dealership in Chicago. Something along the lines of writing messages on our cars and just leaving them parked in front of the dealership. THEY WILL DO SOMETHING. I have complained about this car several times on this board. This is UNACCEPTABLE. I could have bought a GTI or a used BMW and would had at least enjoyed driving the car. This damn car gave me back problems, no armrest, seats as flat as German humor....screw this piece of JUNK.

It happened.. I've been waiting for this day. I first found this site a couple years ago when I was shocked to realize my transmission was slipping really bad. I have since feathered the throttle, adjusting my throttle input in anticipation of a shift (like a stick) and it seemed to be doing OK....I thought that as long as I warm it up for a while every time, give it a proper couple seconds after shifting into gear to apply the throttle, drive it very very very smooth, I'd be able to get away with it. So the other day I'm sitting in traffic and upon accelerating it slips hard, jerks into gear and then just keeps on driving...ok weird...I get a couple blocks down with no drama, stop at another intersection, green light....nothing. dead. I pushed the car out of the way with the help of some friendly Chicagoans and just accepted it. I wasn't even that mad. I just looked at the car and thought "F you".

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 202009

Civic EX

Been a decent vehicle, until trans trouble! Car would not move and engine revved. Towed to autoshop and told-Nothing wrong-car was running fine. Picked it up, drove for 1/2 day and same problem. Towed to Honda, they just informed me $2,900 to replace! Help-who has that laying around to replace a transmission with 58,000 miles on it.

- , Orem, UT, USA

Jan 092007

Civic LX 1.7L

I too had a similar issue with my 2001 Honda Civic LX in January of 2007 when the tcc suddenly went out on my Honda. What is ironic is that the check engine light came on literally as I was driving away from the smog station! I thought it was a mistake at first because I had just had my vehicle serviced 2 days earlier so I thought the smog station did not put the gas cap on right when finished so I turned around and went back, with the transmission slipping and asked them to check it and I got the error code PO740. If it had happened during the smog it would not have passed. I took it to 2 transmission shops to confirm the diagnosis and found the same error code. Nearly $2000 later I got my car running again. At the time the repair shop told me that Honda builds their cars so the transmissions fail much sooner than the engine which I thought was odd but now I see that there is a difinite issue with the way the transmissions are built.

- , Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Jul 222009

Civic LX

I too had a 2001 Honda Civic transmission fail at 114,000 miles. No warning or any problems with the transmission before it failed. Being unemployed for the past eight months, this really sucks. I am currently trying to raise the cash to get the transmission replaced. I had the fluids replaced at the intervals recommended in the manual (in fact I was coming home just after a oil change and they check the transmission fluid level).

If anyone goes after Honda in a class action lawsuit sign me up. My first Honda, a 1989 Accord had over 200,000 miles on it when I traded it in.

- , Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jul 082009

Civic 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

seem like hondas are over rated especially by consumers reports. I'm finding a lot of failures. Honda knows this, they may pay part of the cost to fix but I just don't know how much yet.

- , Cary, NC, US

Dec 312008

Civic LX 1.8L

ok so I bought this car for the reason why most people bought them... the reputation spoke for itself.. but now I was compliling a group of people to file a class action law suit. last year there was only 200 people on here,, now there is another 100 plus.. everyone email me and let me know if you want to join the Class action suit and if I can find a lawyer to handle this I will get back to you.. I have contacted the first 200 people who signed on to this list,, just email or message me and let me know you want to join in the group and I will send you an outline email of formated questions to answer in order to find a lawyer to handle this case.. and Pray we can make Honda Bend Over..I have since ran into another major function problem with this car the car wont start ... fuel pump? who knows I am so pissed about this car.. HONDA needs to step up to own this mess,

Update from Jun 5, 2010: i just added another complaint as the transmission failed again only 40,000 miles after honda replaceing the tranmission in Jan 08 .. read complaints for date 06/05/10 to see my dismay over this poor product,,, lawyers wont take Honda on.. Honda wont admit there is a defect in the Oring on the 02 and 01 civic.. deny there is an issue but look at how many people found there way here think of all those who havent.. lies and more lies.. they need to step up to bat. and take ownership for this mess the car is NOT safe..

.if any lawyers read this i have a list together of people who want to take action be happy to help right the wrong here..

i have never owned a car that i did not get over 150,00 miles before i sold it .. let alone i only ever had one that the transmission went on and that was the first one i owned.. i learned the hard way to check fluids.. but still i always take very good care of my cars and generally they take very good care of me.. this is the first one i spent the most on and it let me down the most... horrible mistake 2 tranmission at 160,000 miles common HONDA get real own up ..

- , Berwick, PA, USA

Apr 062009

Civic LX

My daughter's 2001 Honda Civic LX Coupe's transmission died a quick and painful death.

It left her stranded on the way to work, slipping and eventually it quit. The unit had to be replaced ( rebuilt of course, since she could not afford one from the dealer). The car has only had this problem, everything else has just been wear and tear maintenance. I take prestine care of her car, like any good Dad would for his little girl. But boy, did it hurt.

My mechanic told me that most Hondas are prone to this problem, Civics the most.

- , Hialeah, FL, USA

Mar 202009

Civic Honda Civic EX 1.7L

I chose Honda to be my first brand new car because I though it would last way beyond the 100K mark as long as I took care of it. I did my part but unfortunately I was unaware Honda sold me a defective product that would soon brakdown and render me stranded. What really bothers me the most is that Honda has received complaints regarding this vehicle and never issued a recall. I am seriously looking into a class action lawsuit for Honda's failure to issue a recall with all the complaints I keep hearing about it's just not fair and in this economy it's just not possible for Honda to expect people to pay for their manufacturing defects. My transmission came to a complete halt with no warning signals. I took my car to the dealer two weeks prior because the AC was not working properly. They ran a diagnostic test could not find anything and sent me on my way.

I will never buy another Honda not becuase I had problems (most cars have problems) but because Honda put a defective product on the road and chose to do nothing about it. I called Honda about 5 times explaining my case of how 1) I bought my car new 2) I was the only owner 3) Had all of my regular maintenance and records to show and 4) The only reason the transmission failed is because it was faulty and of need be I can have a Honda dealer confirm this. I spoke to Brian Perez at Honda and the bottom line is Honda could careless and is not going to help me regardless of the fact they sold me a defective product.

I encourage everyone to call/write American Honda and voice your concerns. I am contacting Consumer Affairs and the Attorney General and Howard on my side if I can; they were and are aware of this problem and ignored their responsibility to the consumers.

- , Newark, NJ, USA

Jul 082009

Civic LX 1.7L

I was driving from Albany to Boston, had just taken the exit from the interstate when the transmission completely failed. I had to push the car to a parking spot and then got it towed. The transmission shop asked for about $2000 and there was nothing else to do but rebuilt. It was extremely inconvenient to do all this in a city where I don't even live, rent a car to come back home and have to go back again to pick up the car.

I maintained the car very well, had taken it to the dealer when it was under the extended warranty until the end of 2008. I had all the regular maintenance done as well as all regular oil changes. It was really a shock that this happened with Honda. I thought it was the most reliable car I could get and was planning to buy another Civic this year for my wife. After the failure I realized that this was a common issue with 2001 Honda Civics called Honda but they didn't do anything to help. I will NEVER buy another Honda in my life and I am only 31 years old. I am sure they have smart guys to calculate my worth as a customer over my lifetime and that's the amount of money they will be losing. When everybody else is trying to retain their loyal customers and give them incentives, losing them will not help Honda especially in this tough economy. I will also get rid of my current car as soon as possible, before the 1-year warranty on the transmission expires.

- , Clifton Park, NY, USA

Jul 092009

Civic

I have had exactly the same problem as everyone on this website. Bought my car in 2004 and it was VERY well maintained. It basically got no use the first year I had it because I was in college and only used it when I was home. The remaining three years of college it was used only to drive from college to home for breaks (about 5 hours). It has only had one year of daily use since i've been working this year. I had taken it to a mechanic to have it looked at since it was making a funny noise and he said it was the tranny. On the way back from the mechanic, the car STOPPED IN AN INTERSECTION. I finally got it running enough to get it to an off-ramp of an exit a half a block away. From there, two cops had to push me to the shoulder and I had to be towed home. I could have easily been hit and injured. The car was paid off less than 6 months ago and my warranty expired less than TWO months ago. I called Honda to ask them what I could do about this and all they could tell me was that I needed to have it diagnosed by a Honda dealer to even have my case reviewed. I said so wait - you want me to tow my car which is NOT moving for 100$ to your dealer and pay 100$ to have them tell me what I already know? And then you probably won't even pay for it? Yes. They were ZERO help. Absolutely disgraceful.

Honestly before today the car has been wonderful and I was planning on driving it till it died and then getting a Honda Civic Hybrid. Unfortunately after this car I will never drive a Honda again. Unfortunately I, being a recent college grad, do not have the money to buy a new car right now. So instead, I have to have it towed 4 hours home to New York where a friend of my dad's is fixing it for $2000. I am absolutely disgusted with Honda. Please let me know if there is a recall or a lawsuit I will be there with bells on. THANKS HONDA!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 202009

Civic EX

Was 50 miles from home and the car suddenly lost a lot of power. I parked it in a parking lot to get away from the freeway, and let it cool down for a bit while I went shopping. When I tried it again about 2 hours later, the car would skip and lurch forward, and I could feel the tranny slipping. Finally got to a point maybe 100 yards down and it stopped altogether. The engine would still rev, but the drivetrain was getting 0 power. Had to get the car towed back home. $$$$ The money I'm spending stops with the tow, however, as I am going to eat the value hit and sell the car as-is since it's not economically feasible to spend $2500 replacing the transmission on a car valued at around $5000. Thanks for the claims of reliability and resale value, Honda. I love what you do for me!

- , Salem, OR, USA