CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,333.00

1. replaced transmission (257 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (153 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 21 of 34)

Mar 082009

Civic LX

One of the previous posts explain almost exactly what happened to my car:

"The car began to make a whining noise on cold mornings which progressively got worse. After 7 to 10 days of noticing the noise, the transmission began to slip while accelerating and then yesterday it completely failed."

My car just died yesterday. I'm a student and now I can't go to school unless someone picks me up. With the almost 300 posts that are on here, I don't understand why Honda doesn't do something about it. I almost read all the posts here to see if there might be some cheaper solution to this problem but unfortunately there isn't. I hate Honda so much that I'm contemplating junking this car and buying a non-Honda used car.

I think a previous poster is trying to form a class action lawsuit against Honda. He provided an email address: HondaComplaints@gmail.com. Let him know if you're interested.

- , Catonsville, MD, USA

Jun 112008

Civic LX 1.7L

So this is the 3rd Honda I have owned. I like Honda because they are dependable and hold resale value. They are truly a great car. So when my wife needed a car to get back and forth to work and school and take the kids around I went with a 4 door Honda Civic because it was great on gas, reliable (or so I thought) had a great resale value if I ever had to sell it or wanted to upgrade, and is easy to maintain for the most part. I bought the car used with 50K miles on it from a Honda dealership, certified used program, had the extended warranty, and did transmission service twice while having it. When that day came when my wife called me frantically saying the car wont go, its just revving, I thought now way it could be the transmission. Maybe something with the ECU, something simple. This was not the case. When I finally paid to have it towed to Honda they gave me the grave news. The transmission was gone. I kind of already knew this having reset the ECU but still had fingers crossed. My car was just outside the extended 100,000 mile warranty I had purchased for $1100 but never used. I just finished closing on my house and did not have the money to front for a transmission at the time. At the same time my car is paid off and did not want to buy another. I wanted my car. SO I begged, borrowed, and well didn't steal although I thought about it. At this point I wanted to drive my car through the window of the Honda dealership like the old lady on the discount tire commercial throws the tire through the window. Only problem is my car wouldn't go. So I come up with the $3800. Get the thing fixed, after 6 months I finally paid off the people I owed. Luckily no broken bones. Then my sister in law who purchased a 2002 civic on my referall calls me out of the blue. Same thing, shes on her way home and her transmission is slipping big time. She purchased her car brand spanking new at the same dealership. It now has 95K miles on it. What the F?! How in the world can a Honda not get 100K miles. I thought only domestic cars from the 80's had this problem....not a Honda. I would love to recoup some of my $3800 in a class action lawsuit. My sister in law referred me to this site after what happened to her. If only I had known sooner. $3800 sooner Oh and when I got it back I noticed they added a transmission cooler which was not there before. Maybe now it will last a little longer. I once had an accord that I bought used for $3800. My wife drove it through water, got water in the tranny, drove it over 100 miles that way before I found out. I flushed the transmission, and got another year out of it before I sold it for $3200. Car still shifted fine and it had 160,000 miles on it.

- , Pearland, TX, US

Feb 062009

Civic LX

Honda Civic 2001 with 43000 miles. the transmission just quit on it. there was a haina sound coming out when it the engin is one. The drive will not engage at all. It has revers but will go about 3 miles per hour. I called the dealer "Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance" and the service rep told me that it was not covered and that they will only cover it if it is within 36000 miles. Basically and in short, I was SOL. or I will have to pay 2500 to 3000$ to get it fixed. I called Aamco shop, they towed it in and the mechanic called me and explained that the transmission was shot and that it has to be rebuilt. He explained that is a common problem with the Honda Cvics, Prelude and Odyssey. He also went on to say that it was a bad design in the 2001 Honda Civics, something about solenoids, condensers.. coils ctc. were failing and the problem is more of electric inside the transmission and that he would do the job for $2400. In addition, he said that to prevent the problem from happening again, he will add an external oil filter outside of the transmission so in the future only filter needs to be replaced. I called the Honda Corporate and logged in a complaint. Honda did not acknowledge that there is a trend with the Civics transmissions and said to find your local Honda dealer and see if they can negotiate with Corporate about a replacement or work out a deal with them.

It is very disturbing because i have another Honda Civic but 2008. I hope i will not have the same problem with it.

I hope this help.

- , Hawthorne, CA, US

Feb 032009

Civic LX 1.7L

I was driving and getting ready to take off from a light the car would not move forward. I had to turn the car off & on for a few miles to get it to a transmission shop. The mechanic knew what the problem was before touching the car!

It is a know problem this can be very dangerous I feel that Honda should cover the cost to fix this problem.

- , Carson, CA, USA

Mar 022009

Civic LX 1.7L

I have a very well maintained 2001 Honda Civic with 151K miles. I have had no significant problems with it until last week. The car began to make a whining noise on cold mornings which progressively got worse. After 7 to 10 days of noticing the noise, the transmission began to slip while accelerating and then yesterday it completely failed.

Through this and other web sites I have found out that Honda has a real problem with this particular transmission and that thousands and thousands of other owners of this year model have had the same problem. I just towed the car to a local shop and they estimate 2,200 for a rebuild.

This is my 4th honda, and the first one with a major problem, but I'm still not happy. I took this car in at 70,000 miles and had the transmission serviced (fluid drain and replaced). I did this again at 125,000 miles, so this problem was really unexpected to me and is not due to a lack of maintenance or any kind of abuse. I'm planning to call Honda customer service and see if they will help with the cost. If not, this will be my last Honda. If they do help out, I will get back on here to let others know.

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA

Feb 092009

Civic LX 3.2L

My daughter bought a 2001 Honda Civic from the money her deceased brother had left her. She wanted a Honda because she had always heard that they were reliable and would last. To her misfortune she has learned that Honda does not stand by their products and will not aid in repairing a vehicle that clearly has a problem. I personally own a Toyota and I can say I've never had any problem with Toyota. It's a shame that a 21 year old lady has to find out the hard way about dirty business. She is a college student and cannot afford to repair the transmission. Apparently this year model has a definite problem with the transmission, but Honda will not cover any of the repairs. The car is sitting in the driveway and cannot be driven and will probably sit for a while. I have warned all I know about this problem and have discouraged them from purchasing a Honda. This auto company has millions of dollars and they can't even back up their product. It makes me sick. All of you who read this: switch to Toyota. The service is better and they take pride in their vehicles.

- , Woodstock, GA, US

Mar 012009

Civic LX

There is no need to tell my story as it has been told over and over on this site. Transmission failure, replaced transmission. What an expensive disappointment!

- , Berkeley, CA, USA

Mar 022009

Civic EX I.8

My son just called from college and reported car problems with a maintenance code of PO704. In doing a search I ran across this site with all the totally depressing reports of a pattern of similar problems! Don't really know what to do---is the code sometimes just a problem indicator, or does it predict an assured disaster? I'm not sure where to go from here. For now the car is running OK, but that will probably change soon! I actually own a second 2001 Civic LX that I now fear may be headed for the same problem.

- , Rockford, IL, USA

May 012004

Civic DX 4 cyl

What car transmission goes out with NO WARNING after only 30,000 miles of responsible driving and maintenance? This was covered under the extended warranty I purchased. This is NOT the only problem with this car... multiple interior issues. Do not buy!

- , Thousand Oaks, CA, US

Apr 192007

Civic EX Vtec

During high School my Honda was fine until I moved to higher Elevation. Now, the transmission is failing everywhere I go. I'm a working 21 year old and I don't have the kind of money to fix this serious problem. I Can't travel more than 7 miles at a time! If I drive past 7 or 8 miles the car doesn't shift and it'll run maybe 5 mph. The car loses power and doesn't shift at all. When i pull over to the side, i have this awful smell of burnt rubber. I have to rest it at least for an Hour till I can travel normally for another 5 miles. EVERYWHERE I GO I HAVE TO CALCULATE THE TIME, CALCULATE THE DISTANCE, CALCULATE TRAFFIC. Everyday it's the same thing. People all ready know it's me on the side of the road because of this car problem... I just want to get rid of this car and go with something better.

THEY SHOULD'VE WARNED US ABOUT THE HONDA CIVIC 2001 MODELS.

- , Hilo, HI, USA

Nov 192008

Civic LX 1.4L cyl

I never knew this was such a problem. But I feel so dumb for buying this piece of sh*t. I take care of my car, I mean I baby this car. But when I was at around 125k miles the transmission decided to take a sh*t on me. The sad thing was it happened with no warning. The other thing was I attempting to deliver pizza (my job) at the time. I had to be towed by my boss back to the store. Now about 2 months later the TCC system is failing, and I have no clue what that means. Funny thing neither does Autozone nor the internet. So I'm asking myself how much more money am I going to have to dump into this car. Now that I look at it I wish I still had my 92 Ford Taurus SHO. That car was the best car I've ever owned.

- , Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 152008

Civic EX 1.4L

I tell you now for the people who read all of our complaints stay away from Honda, or at least do your homework and I mean you better dig and find out everything with the car you want to buy because I was yet another victim to the Honda Civic dilemma. Should have kept the 91 Accord w/ 235,000 plus miles on it and just fixed it up (I still had the original clutch!!). Can't believe I was taken and I thought I looked into this (but then again it's a Honda, right---NOT!). I first noticed a slight shifting noise and took it right in because it was still under my meager warranty, but the dealer said they couldn't hear anything and I even went with the driver. The noise didn't change, but the day we went fishing up to Estes Park, we never made it much past the Damn Store. Thought at first I lost a belt, but nope, it was the transmission. Got the new torque converter and filter put in and runs great, but man, was it worth the $2300 I spent when I still owe over six grand on it? STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR!!

- , Eaton, CO, USA

Feb 092009

Civic EX

Faced with a decision to fix or take what we can get as a trade-in,we found this site while looking for approx repair cost. It make us SICK to see Blue Book on an otherwise "good" condition vehicle essentially wiped-out by a transmission problem that Honda knows about and chosen not to recall! In spite of others' horror stories about trying to get Honda to stand behind their product with no success, we will contact the company. As loyal Honda/Acura owners ...our respect for the company and its products is severely damaged.

- , Argyle, TX, USA

Jan 202009

Civic

I now have a Honda Civic with the famous transmission problem. My daughter was out of town, driving the car I thought would be safe transportation for her, when it stalled at a red light. I looked at this website and when I called 2 Honda dealers they almost laughed at me and said they had not heard of this problem with the civics. I told them to look at the internet!! They have offered no help with payment for the repair, a rebuilt transmission, with a cost of 2894.00. The car will have to be towed to the dealership so there is another 50.00. I plan to call Honda America tomorrow as I have gotten the money together-thanks to Uncle Sam, to get the car fixed and see what, if anything they offer!! The car I bought so my daughter would be safe left her stranded. The car I bought for its reputation as "dependable" with a long lifespan is dead!! The repair money does not come easy for anyone, especially a single parent whose daughter is in college so I will plead my case to Honda America but I'm not expecting much and will not do business with Honda again. I drive an American car with 182,000 miles and have very few repairs done to this car--America may be the way to go. I will join a Class Action suit if one is prepared. Wish me luck tomorrow!!!!

- , Soddy Daisy, TN, USA

Feb 102009

Civic LX

Another victim of the 2001 Honda Civic DELUSION. Just went to get the transmission checked b/c we heard a rattling sound when shifting gears and --same as many others--we have code P0740 coming up. Failure of the torque converter clutch system. Definitely into a class action suit myself!

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 052009

Civic EX 1.7L 4 cyl

I have an '01 Honda Civic EX 4cyl. automatic. It has always had a problem shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear and this problem grew progressively worse over the years (and miles). It was especially bad in the wintertime when the transmission was cold. The transmission would go to shift to 3rd and wind out before catching. This winter it began to whine while it was not fully warmed up. A few weeks after the whining began the transmission began to jump between gears and then within the course of an hour failed completely and required a tow. The best price I could find for repairs was $2,844: $1794 for a rebuilt transmission from Honda with a 3 year 36,000 warranty, $1,000 to ship the new transmission to me and then the old back to the factory, and $750 for labor. Plus a refundable $1,200 core charge that I did not include in the repair cost.

- , Corbin City, NJ, USA

Jan 312009

Civic LX

On Saturday January 31, 2009 I noticed some jerking when I was trying to accelerate to get onto the freeway. This happened a few times that day before my transmission went out that evening as I was entering a shopping center (never made it to Del Taco). The car simply wouldn't accelerate and I was stuck in the middle of the parking entrance for half an hour until AAA arrived. For the past few months I was under the impression I was having a problem with the timing belt (my boyfriend's guess), but since it was only a 'sprinkler noise' and no actual performance problem, I decided to let that go... now I'm wondering if it had to do with the transmission. The place that I was towed to quoted $3000+ for a brand new transmission, $2,600 to fix/rebuild my transmission, and $1575 to find a transmission from a wrecking yard and fix it. Needless to say, I don't have that kind of money set aside for a rainy day, so now my mother is taking her 25 year old daughter to and from work until I figure out what to do with this problem. I'm pissed because the reason I chose to buy a Honda was so that it would last for 200k miles. I will also mention the unresolved issue I've had with my "automatic" door locks: It took me a month to realize that when I was pressing my Lock button, nothing was happening on my driver's side door. This had been going on for 6 months with me having to manually lock my door and then all of a sudden, one day it started working again. Three weeks ago, however, it went back to being unresponsive... but I guess that doesn't really matter since my car is unable to drive anywhere anyways! I don't foresee myself ever purchasing a Honda car (or Acura) again. This is ridiculous and I feel bad for all the other Honda consumers who had the same problem with their transmissions. I don't know what I'm going to do...

- , Corona, CA, USA

Jan 212009

Civic EX

I will do my part to try to keep others from making the same mistake I did. I've taken this car, which I'd become emotionally attached to (it's my second Honda Civic), to a very good dealership mechanic ever since I bought the car new. I have every service record for this car and was saving for the down payment for my next Honda Civic. I have now spent a significant part of the down payment for replacing the timing belt on the maintenance schedule at the end of 2008 and now had the transmission fail at 81,000 miles ($2200 thanks to a dealership goodwill discount). I feel sick about how disappointed I am in American Honda motors, about Simon Ng who was the case manager at American Honda, who never spoke to me in person, but decided from California to not negotiate anything on this repair. I had to rent a car for a week. Throughout, the dealership where I take the car was very courteous and helpful, and they helped some with the cost, but because they have no control over the way American Honda runs their business, I will no longer be loyal to Honda or the Honda Civic. Check out that the 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid already has a transmission problem on record! I've decided to put a note on all the other Honda Civic cars in the parking lot at work (there are probably 50 of them) to check out carcomplaints.com so they won't make the same mistake in their decision-making about getting rid of the 2001/2002 model years of the Honda Civic. And the only reason is that Honda is not standing by their problems with those years. I laugh cynically now when I see the Honda ads on TV.

- , Arlington, VA, USA

Jan 152009

Civic EX 1.7L

What do you know, another 2001 civic with a bad transmission, you can count me in on a class action lawsuit to get Honda to take responsibility for this problem, they offered to pay 25% of the cost which left me with 1,900 to pay for this reoccurring problem, I will never buy a Honda again, I hope that Honda goes bankrupt instead of GM !

- , Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jan 162009

Civic EX

I am the original owner of a 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe. The car has about 150,000 miles. The car has been very reliable until now. It was maintained regularly but not always at the same dealer. I noticed some slipping and jerky acceleration so I made an appointment at my local non-Honda dealership mechanic a few days later. By the morning of the appt. the car would not go over 25 mph. He immediately recognized that it was a transmission problem. He said that the early 2000 accords and civics had a bad run with transmission problems. We had it towed to a transmission shop who reported the car had a failed transmission as a result of the filter blocking from the disintegration of the clutch/torque converter. The trans. shop also relayed that this is a very common problem in '01 Civics. My husband did some research and found out that this is the 2nd most common problem for all cars on this site with a rating of 9.2 of 10. I called Honda of America. They said that I had to have the car towed again to a dealer in order for any assistance to occur. I said that I didn't want to bother having it towed unless they were definitely going to help. They said to go ahead and tow it...that they would probably work out a parts labor split on the repairs. I had it towed to the dealership where I bought the car...approximately 30 miles away. The dealership would not work with Honda of America to get the price down from $3100. The Honda of America rep said that I should go ahead and take the car back to a private shop and that Honda would pay for the part. I asked, are you sure you can't help me get the repair done through Honda. She said she would call me back. When she called back, she said the only thing she could help with was the tow. I freaked out and finally we worked out a deal where I could have the car towed (for a third time) to a different dealer getting the price down about $1300. In order to reach this agreement, I had to engage in negotiations that were shady and slimy. I asked at least 5 times to speak with a manager to resolve my issue. She would not put me through to a manager. I asked if my rental car expenses could be covered, but she would only say that she might be able to offer "something" later but would not say what "something" would be. When I pressed the issue, she threatened to "release the call" (aka hang up on me). Our family has owned Hondas almost exclusively for the past 20 years including a new Honda Odyssey ('03), New Accord ('00), another new Accord ('87), used Civic ('86). used Prelude ('88), and a used Civic Wagon ('83). Honda should stand behind its product and issue a recall. Making customers negotiate on a case by case basis is unacceptable.

- , Glenside, PA, USA