Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 9 of 34)

Sep 152010

Civic EX 1.7L

I can't tell you how pissed I was to have to shell out almost 3 grand for a transmission rebuild on honda civic ex with only 85000 miles. Everybody says how reliable hondas are, but i guess not 01 civics. The transmission guy said that he is getting 2 or 3 hondas in a month for the same issue: a bearing goes out in the transmission, then rips everything else apart. Now I don't know what car maker to trust. If you have an 01 civic and the transmission starts acting up, shifting funny, making a whining noise, sell it to some sucker, or go have it looked at asap to minimize the inevitable damage.

- , Missoula, MT, USA

Aug 162010

Civic LX

Far too soon (mileage wise) for a transmission failure. Was hoping Honda would offer some relief, but they only offered to replace the transmission for $3500.00.

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 282010

The car started bucking when changing gears. I checked the fluids & they were fine. The next morning it got very bad fast. I was entering the freeway in Houston when it there was no connection to the engine. It was like it was in Neutral. I stopped & rolled backward off of the freeway. Fortunately it was 6:40 AM so there was little traffic.

I really like the car. I just bought it 3 months ago & I do not have the money right now to fix it.

Update from Nov 17, 2010: I replaced the transmission for more than I paid for my previous car.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Oct 132010

Civic 4 cyl

My $5K 2001 Honda Civic has turned into a nightmare --- why hasn't Honda done a recall on this year's transmission? Very upset...Thought Honda would stand behind their vehicles and that the fact we were buying a Honda actually meant quality. Boy were we wrong!!!!

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 062010

Civic EX

I'm adding my complaint to the list. This past Saturday I was driving down a busy 3 lane road when my 2001 Civic started to rev but not go faster. I chalked it up to being an unseasonably cold morning in NY and left it at that. I brought the car in on Monday to have a routine oil change and mentioned it to my mechanic. He thought it might just be the fluid. Tuesday I get a phone call from the mechanic telling me that I need a new less than 58,000 miles...on a Honda. I asked him if he was sure and he said he tried replacing a couple of parts to eliminate them first and the only thing left was a full transmission replacement. I seem to be getting a deal because I was quoted $1600. I had had a 1986 Accord before this and replaced the transmission at 199,000 miles and drove it till I cracked the axle at 216,000 miles and my mechanic refused to fix it. I never thought that I would be replacing a transmission at 57,800 miles. It's insane. I'm a full time grad student and I work part time because I was out of work for 14 months and part time was all I could find. I can't afford $1600! I'm actually taking another student loan to pay for this. I can't believe that Honda won't recall the transmission. I've been reading these complaints and they are frightening, but apparently Honda won't look into it until someone dies. Shame on them. I figured this car would be 13 when I graduate and then I could get a new car, but I doubt very much that it's going to be a Honda now.

- , Selden, NY, USA

Oct 092010

Civic EX 1.7L 4 cyl

we all having the same problem shall get toguether and call the media and they will cry.

- , Naples, FL, USA

Nov 112010

Civic EX 1.7

I own two 2001 civics and Acura MDX and never had a problem until this. The transmission just started slipping and was having problems shifting gears. I took the car in for 110K service and the dealer just told me to monitor the transmission. A week later on my way from work, I was at a red light and tired to move forward and the car started rolling back instead of forward. I almost hit the person behind me. I called AAA was waiting in the car when 2 nice gentlemen came to help me get my car out of moving traffic. With their help I was able to move the car to nearest Business Park. I towed the car to the Honda and they wanted $3500 to replace the transmission. I took the car to Aamco and they was $2800. While I was trying to decide to what to do about my car, I saw this website and realized how many people have had this problem and Honda has not done anything about it. I called the Honda for "Good Will Repair" and waited for them for 3 days to look at my case. They told me they could not do anything because my car is over the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. When I bought the car I purchased the extended warranty 7 years 100,000 miles from the dealer and Honda tells me that the warranty was not though Honda. Honda and the Dealer are crooks. They just want to take peoples money and no one is willing to help. I have been a very loyal Honda customer for many years and was thinking about purchasing another Honda but this has changed my mind.

I hope someone starts a class action law suit against Honda.

- , Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Nov 052010

the transmission has failed on my daughter's car. I didn't realize until doing some research that this is a common problem.

- , Apex, NC, USA

Nov 082010

Civic 4

- , Jeffersonville, PA, USA

Nov 072010

Civic LX V4

Transmission gave out at 125,751 miles. I've contacted American Honda (800-999-1009), and they will not do anything for this transmission failure (NOT EVEN A GOODFAITH DEAL). It's clearly a bad problem on Honda's behalf (just look at all the complaints posted all over the internet). Since Honda did not even try to assist in anyway, I will never never never buy another Honda product again...not even a Honda lawnmower!

- , Sachse, TX, USA

Oct 072010

Civic LX

Being a Honda fan, it's been really frustrating to have something like this happen. Especially since I'm a college student with a family and this is our only car. How is it that the transmission has gone out and most everything in the vehicle is still from the factory?

- , Hurricane, UT, USA

Oct 042010

Civic LE 4 cyl

I bought this 2001 Honda Civic LE for my 16 year old daughter. It had 86,000 miles on it and I thought I did great buying a "reliable" Honda. At 95,000 miles, the transmission started slipping while accelerating causing the engine to rev high until it "caught". Brought it to Honda and they said the transmission needed to be replaced. They wanted $3,400 so I brought it to a local reputable transmission shop and it is being replaced for $2,600.

This is extremely frustrating! I asked the owner of the transmission shop why this transmission failed after only 95,000 miles. I was surprised to hear him say that this is a design flaw with Honda transmissions manufactured after 1998. I look online today and see this is a widespread problem, confirming what the mechanic said! I sure wish I would have researched this purchase better!

- , Lake Charles, LA, USA

Mar 012010

Civic EX

After the Transmission was replaced at the dealer for a whopping $3500, the transmission doesn't shift like it is suppose to. It feels very sluggish.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 152010

Civic LX 4 cyl

I started to noticed a high pitched whine when I started the car but would disappear after the car had been driven a few miles. I thought it was a belt, no biggie right? One day on the way home on the freeway, my car started to act like it had been placed in to neutral. I hit the gas and the engine would rev up the tachometer would register the revolutions, but no power. I managed to coast to a safe place off the freeway (was lucky). I now looking at a repair cost of $1700 - $3300. Waiting for the Honda Dealer in Livermore to call me back. I will update this info as It comes in. Very disappointing as I've owned civics before and never had the transmission go out. I owned one civic for 16 years and put 225 miles on it with No Problem. Honda: Where have you gone wrong? and Why? Hey Toyota, you got any good deals over there? I'm thinking of a new xB right now. I'm afraid of the the Element cuz its got a Honda badge on it. Yikes!

- , Pleasanton, CA, USA

Oct 202010

Civic 4 cyl

There is no way a transmission should fail in a car with only 115000 miles on it. There was only slight slipping of the transmission days before it went out.

- , Weaverville, NC, USA

Jun 272010

Civic LX

My transmission failed 3 weeks before my wedding. A headache we didn't need. Luckily when it failed I was a mile from home on a Sunday night after a 2 hour drive. I had it towed to my local shop, got a quote, panicked since it was 3/4 of the blue book value on a good day.

I started looking at other cars and was ready to go on a new or used car but decided a repair bill was more in my budget than new car payments. So I had it towed to the dealership. They also gave me a quote and I asked for a break. They had me bring in the documentation of my maintenance to send on to Honda Corp. without much hope. Luckily, I think, the dealer rep was in town the next and OK'd a 15% ($850) discount on the repairs. So I did it. 3 year / 36K warranty on the new tranny.

Things worked fine for a short while. It seems to be slipping again now. Especially in the low gears. So will be making a new appointment with the dealership. It's a huge pain, being our only car. I am starting to regret my decision to repair it instead of parting it out or scrapping it and putting the money towards a new car.

So as many have stated, the fix, doesn't appear to be a long term one.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Sep 242010

Civic EX

Same story... driving on the freeway... thankfully, there was road construction happening and so traffic was very slow but could start to feel a problem with the car as I braked and accelerated... and then really with no earlier warning (the car ran fine for about an hour before this began to happen), the car died. Could shift into neutral but engine would die once I shifted into drive. Pushed car off to the side and had it towed to Honda dealership. Next morning, they told me it was the transmission and that they had never seen anything like it, that Honda civic transmissions last forever... yep. Stumbled on this website when I was looking for price quotes on used transmissions... all the complaints mirrored the diagnostic results from the dealership and I was pissed off.

Called Honda's customer service and got some bs about how they could not offer any assistance with the cost of repairs because the car was older than 6 years and was over 100,000 miles. I'm filing as many complaints as I can and am looking into my legal options.

It is really unbelievable how much greed drives decisions to recall or not to recall... it's obvious Honda of America doesn't really give a flying f*** about the safety of it's consumers. I am thankful that my sister and I were not hurt when the transmission failed, but I agree with others that it's really sad that something like this might not be fixed until people begin dying and deaths due to defective manufacturing equals bad PR.

- , Davis, CA, USA

Sep 012010

2001 Honda Civic sucks. Transmission failure, we called honda cost. service with no help, called honda checkered flag Virginia Beach where we bought this junk, associate was so rude and no help at all.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 012008

Civic EX 1.7

I thought that Hondas would last at least a few hundred thousand miles. Unfortunately, I've had several issues with my Honda. One of which was when my transmission died, two years ago, while making a left hand turn at a traffic light. The car literally died. I had to leave it in a nearby grocery store parking lot and have it towed to a mechanic. I called Honda for the replacement and they refused to replace it saying it had too many miles. I ended up paying $2800. Now my engine and radiator just died this past weekend, with no warning, while I was driving down the interstate. The only problem I had was that the night before it wouldn't start. After trying to get it to start, it eventually did and kept running long enough for me to make it to a nearby friend's house. The next morning when I left, and was on my way home to take it closer to a shop near my house, is when the engine light suddenly came on. However, the temperature gauge never moved, but what I thought was smoke started coming from the hood of the car. After pulling off the interstate, jumping out the car scared that it was on fire, I called 911 for help. The firemen showed up and found out that it was steam from the radiator blowing out. At 217,000 miles I expected more. I've had to get a timing belt, alternator, O2 sensors work (done twice), a transmission, and now the engine and radiator. (I may have left one or two more things out.) I wish someone would help us because most of these issues occurred at either under 100,000 or just over 100,000 miles. The blue book value of my car is only $1100. I don't see it being worth putting thousands of more dollars into it to fix it. I've literally had my car die 4 different times since owning it. All 4 times was while driving it on the interstate (twice), parking lot (once) and on a busy street (once). I bought it brand new off the showroom floor of a Honda dealership. I just thank the Lord that He has always protected me and never let me, or anyone else, get hurt while this car has died putting everyone at risk.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 212010

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

Transmission failed on my 2001 Honda Civic at 11pm an hour away from where I live. Awesome. After checking out consumer reports, this is apparently a major issue with the 2001 Civics because of an issue with the torque converter. The place AAA towed it to wanted $3K for a rebuild with factory parts and a 3-year warranty; the Honda Service Center wanted $4K!!! You would think they would offer a discount on this service since I need it because of their faulty parts, but no. Average cost after calling around was about $2600-$2700 for a rebuild. I found a place that could do it for $1800 and 1-yr warranty. Let's hope it holds out.

If you are the original owner and have maintained rigorous upkeep at Honda Service centers only, you can try to see if Honda will give you 10-20% of the cost. But if the cost is $4K, it's still going to be more expensive than an average rebuild.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA