Transmission Failure

2001 Honda Civic (Page 9 of 34)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,330.00

1. replaced transmission (256 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (152 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 9 of 34)

Feb 292008

Civic EX

I was shocked that the transmission of our 01 Civic EX gave out at 85000 miles. Now at 136,000 miles it's getting similar symptoms again. Glad to see the frequency chart that shows the 01 appears to be the worst year for this problem, but it sure has sullied my impression of Honda as being a totally reliable automobile manufacturer. Before this I'd buy another one without hesitation. Now I am seriously considering other makes/models. Too bad it came to this.

- , South Portland, ME, USA

Oct 292010

Civic

This was the first time I have purchased a Honda because everyone says it will last forever. Purchased for my daughter in 2001,I have taken care of the vehicle maintaintenance. That didn't do me any good. The vehicle stopped moving when I had my son borrow for a weekend. Light never came on until it was too late. Now, I have a 3,500 transmission problem. Called Honda but they would not do anything my 3 year/36,000 warranty was up. I am sure all customers buy a vehicle for 17,000 dollars and think it will only last 3 years. Honda customer service headquarters could be nicer when you call and give you some percentage off atleast if not a good will cost. A recall would be nice. 123,00 miles

- , Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Nov 172010

Civic LX

Same problem as everyone else. Driving to work and transmission just stopped working. Towed it to my auto guy and found out that all 2001 Civics are having this problem. My quote is $2200 to put in a rebuilt transmission. I'm really disappointed in Honda. If this is a problem across the board, they need to step up and assist their devoted customers!

I will never buy another Honda. I'm happy with my other car, which is a Toyota. I'll stick with them from now on!

- , San Diego, CA, US

Oct 112010

Civic LX

I have had my Honda for 7 years. I was driving home one morning and I had stopped at a red light. When I went to go the car would not accelerate above 5 miles and hour. I was able to get it into a gas station parking lot and it completely stopped moving. I was on a busy highway and easily could have been hit. The car has always had it's scheduled maintenance and never had any problems. I had it towed to a transmission place that told me it would cost me $4500 to re-build my transmission!! That is about how much my car is worth. So I spent two weeks trying to find a used transmission. I finally did and had in put in the car. It cost me over $1300.

I've been reading about how this is a huge problem in this year of Honda and that I should probably sell the car now. I have grown up with Honda's. My mom always had one when I was little and still only drives Honda. This car should have lasted me longer than 7 years!! Something needs to be done about this problem.

- , Spokane, WA, USA

Sep 152010

Civic EX 1.7L

I can't tell you how pissed I was to have to shell out almost 3 grand for a transmission rebuild on honda civic ex with only 85000 miles. Everybody says how reliable hondas are, but i guess not 01 civics. The transmission guy said that he is getting 2 or 3 hondas in a month for the same issue: a bearing goes out in the transmission, then rips everything else apart. Now I don't know what car maker to trust. If you have an 01 civic and the transmission starts acting up, shifting funny, making a whining noise, sell it to some sucker, or go have it looked at asap to minimize the inevitable damage.

- , Missoula, MT, USA

Aug 162010

Civic LX

Far too soon (mileage wise) for a transmission failure. Was hoping Honda would offer some relief, but they only offered to replace the transmission for $3500.00.

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 282010

Civic EX VTEC

The car started bucking when changing gears. I checked the fluids & they were fine. The next morning it got very bad fast. I was entering the freeway in Houston when it there was no connection to the engine. It was like it was in Neutral. I stopped & rolled backward off of the freeway. Fortunately it was 6:40 AM so there was little traffic.

I really like the car. I just bought it 3 months ago & I do not have the money right now to fix it.

Update from Nov 17, 2010: I replaced the transmission for more than I paid for my previous car.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Oct 132010

Civic 4 cyl

My $5K 2001 Honda Civic has turned into a nightmare --- why hasn't Honda done a recall on this year's transmission? Very upset...Thought Honda would stand behind their vehicles and that the fact we were buying a Honda actually meant quality. Boy were we wrong!!!!

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 062010

Civic EX

I'm adding my complaint to the list. This past Saturday I was driving down a busy 3 lane road when my 2001 Civic started to rev but not go faster. I chalked it up to being an unseasonably cold morning in NY and left it at that. I brought the car in on Monday to have a routine oil change and mentioned it to my mechanic. He thought it might just be the fluid. Tuesday I get a phone call from the mechanic telling me that I need a new transmission...at less than 58,000 miles...on a Honda. I asked him if he was sure and he said he tried replacing a couple of parts to eliminate them first and the only thing left was a full transmission replacement. I seem to be getting a deal because I was quoted $1600. I had had a 1986 Accord before this and replaced the transmission at 199,000 miles and drove it till I cracked the axle at 216,000 miles and my mechanic refused to fix it. I never thought that I would be replacing a transmission at 57,800 miles. It's insane. I'm a full time grad student and I work part time because I was out of work for 14 months and part time was all I could find. I can't afford $1600! I'm actually taking another student loan to pay for this. I can't believe that Honda won't recall the transmission. I've been reading these complaints and they are frightening, but apparently Honda won't look into it until someone dies. Shame on them. I figured this car would be 13 when I graduate and then I could get a new car, but I doubt very much that it's going to be a Honda now.

- , Selden, NY, USA

Oct 092010

Civic EX 1.7L 4 cyl

we all having the same problem shall get toguether and call the media and they will cry.

- , Naples, FL, USA

Nov 112010

Civic EX 1.7

I own two 2001 civics and Acura MDX and never had a problem until this. The transmission just started slipping and was having problems shifting gears. I took the car in for 110K service and the dealer just told me to monitor the transmission. A week later on my way from work, I was at a red light and tired to move forward and the car started rolling back instead of forward. I almost hit the person behind me. I called AAA was waiting in the car when 2 nice gentlemen came to help me get my car out of moving traffic. With their help I was able to move the car to nearest Business Park. I towed the car to the Honda and they wanted $3500 to replace the transmission. I took the car to Aamco and they was $2800. While I was trying to decide to what to do about my car, I saw this website and realized how many people have had this problem and Honda has not done anything about it. I called the Honda for "Good Will Repair" and waited for them for 3 days to look at my case. They told me they could not do anything because my car is over the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. When I bought the car I purchased the extended warranty 7 years 100,000 miles from the dealer and Honda tells me that the warranty was not though Honda. Honda and the Dealer are crooks. They just want to take peoples money and no one is willing to help. I have been a very loyal Honda customer for many years and was thinking about purchasing another Honda but this has changed my mind.

I hope someone starts a class action law suit against Honda.

- , Costa Mesa, CA, US

Nov 052010

Civic

the transmission has failed on my daughter's car. I didn't realize until doing some research that this is a common problem.

- , Apex, NC, USA

Nov 082010

Civic 4

I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED IN HONDA. THIS TRANSMISSION PROBLEM IS COMMON AND THEY KNOW ABOUT IT. THE STATEMENT FROM HONDA IS IT IS NOT SAFETY RELATED SO THERE IS NO RECALL. SHAME ON YOU HONDA. IF THIS FAILURE OCCURS WHILE OPERATING THE VEHICLE IT CERTAINLY HAS A POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES FOR THE DRIVER. I FEEL HONDA IS IGNORING THE PROBLEM AND HAS TAKEN A POSITION UNWORTHY OF THIS BRAND NAME. I WANT RESTITUTION FOR THIS FAILURE. NOTHING LESS. CLASS ACTION SUITE SHOULD BE STARTED ASAP. WAKE UP ATTORNEYS, THIS IS A BIG ONE!!!!

- , Jeffersonville, PA, USA

Nov 072010

Civic LX V4

Transmission gave out at 125,751 miles. I've contacted American Honda (800-999-1009), and they will not do anything for this transmission failure (NOT EVEN A GOODFAITH DEAL). It's clearly a bad problem on Honda's behalf (just look at all the complaints posted all over the internet). Since Honda did not even try to assist in anyway, I will never never never buy another Honda product again...not even a Honda lawnmower!

- , Sachse, TX, USA

Oct 072010

Civic LX

Being a Honda fan, it's been really frustrating to have something like this happen. Especially since I'm a college student with a family and this is our only car. How is it that the transmission has gone out and most everything in the vehicle is still from the factory?

- , Hurricane, UT, USA

Oct 042010

Civic LE 4 cyl

I bought this 2001 Honda Civic LE for my 16 year old daughter. It had 86,000 miles on it and I thought I did great buying a "reliable" Honda. At 95,000 miles, the transmission started slipping while accelerating causing the engine to rev high until it "caught". Brought it to Honda and they said the transmission needed to be replaced. They wanted $3,400 so I brought it to a local reputable transmission shop and it is being replaced for $2,600.

This is extremely frustrating! I asked the owner of the transmission shop why this transmission failed after only 95,000 miles. I was surprised to hear him say that this is a design flaw with Honda transmissions manufactured after 1998. I look online today and see this is a widespread problem, confirming what the mechanic said! I sure wish I would have researched this purchase better!

- , Lake Charles, LA, USA

Mar 012010

Civic EX

After the Transmission was replaced at the dealer for a whopping $3500, the transmission doesn't shift like it is suppose to. It feels very sluggish.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 152010

Civic LX 4 cyl

I started to noticed a high pitched whine when I started the car but would disappear after the car had been driven a few miles. I thought it was a belt, no biggie right? One day on the way home on the freeway, my car started to act like it had been placed in to neutral. I hit the gas and the engine would rev up the tachometer would register the revolutions, but no power. I managed to coast to a safe place off the freeway (was lucky). I now looking at a repair cost of $1700 - $3300. Waiting for the Honda Dealer in Livermore to call me back. I will update this info as It comes in. Very disappointing as I've owned civics before and never had the transmission go out. I owned one civic for 16 years and put 225 miles on it with No Problem. Honda: Where have you gone wrong? and Why? Hey Toyota, you got any good deals over there? I'm thinking of a new xB right now. I'm afraid of the the Element cuz its got a Honda badge on it. Yikes!

- , Pleasanton, CA, US

Oct 202010

Civic 4 cyl

There is no way a transmission should fail in a car with only 115000 miles on it. There was only slight slipping of the transmission days before it went out.

- , Weaverville, NC, USA

Jun 272010

Civic LX

My transmission failed 3 weeks before my wedding. A headache we didn't need. Luckily when it failed I was a mile from home on a Sunday night after a 2 hour drive. I had it towed to my local shop, got a quote, panicked since it was 3/4 of the blue book value on a good day.

I started looking at other cars and was ready to go on a new or used car but decided a repair bill was more in my budget than new car payments. So I had it towed to the dealership. They also gave me a quote and I asked for a break. They had me bring in the documentation of my maintenance to send on to Honda Corp. without much hope. Luckily, I think, the dealer rep was in town the next and OK'd a 15% ($850) discount on the repairs. So I did it. 3 year / 36K warranty on the new tranny.

Things worked fine for a short while. It seems to be slipping again now. Especially in the low gears. So will be making a new appointment with the dealership. It's a huge pain, being our only car. I am starting to regret my decision to repair it instead of parting it out or scrapping it and putting the money towards a new car.

So as many have stated, the fix, doesn't appear to be a long term one.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA