2003 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Civic:

2003 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

May 182011

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Civic. While parked, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that moisture could have reached the air bag module and caused the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 12/5/12

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Aug 042012

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while approaching a stop light the brakes failed. The contact stated that the vehicle did not slow down and the brake pedal kicked back up when depressed. As a result, the contact entered the intersection and another vehicle crashed into her vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries from the crash. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop, but the brakes had not been inspected. The failure and current mileages were 88,000. Updated 9/21/12

- Newburg, NY, USA

Jan 052012

Civic 4-cyl

SRS warning light appeared in December 2011, made appointment with pohanka Honda in fredericksburg, va. To have diagnostic performed. Dealer stated that seatbelt buckle has bad sensor and needs to be replaced. Seat components have a lifetime warranty as stated in users manual page 48, and in warranties manual page 31 stating: Honda provides a lifetime warranty on seat belts. Honda will repair or replace any seat belt component that fails to function properly during normal use. In warranty manual it states, Honda will repair or replace, at its option, any Honda seat belt component that fails to function properly during normal use this includes all parts and labor charges. Pohanka Honda failed to warranty part stating the buckle is not part of the seat belt it is part of the electrical system and therefore not warrantied. Honda customer service stated that the buckle is not part of the seat belt and therefore not covered under warranty. Honda needs to warranty and stand behind this warranty. Not able to pass Virginia state inspection with this light on and failure.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 142011

Civic 4-cyl

My airbag light is on, as is many other people that own Honda Civics. Was told it is the airbag computer.almost $1000.this is a safety issue and Honda should recall an fix this issue. I work for Toyota and they had to recall all the gas pedal issues. That was a safety issue. I love my Civic but if Honda is not going to stand behind there product than I will never buy a Honda again. So I have a car with two airbags and they are useless.nice to know if I get in a wreck they will not work. So much for loving my Civic. How many complaints does it take for something to get done"?"

- Seymour, TN, USA

Jul 092011

Civic 4-cyl

Front end collision in clearwater fl in which the seat belt did not restrain the driver and the air bag did not deploy. Driver's head hit windshield, he has significant head, neck and back injuries. The vehicle, a 2003 Honda Civic is a total loss. The car's SRS light had come on approx. 1 month before the accident. A Honda dealer replaced a part needed for that approx. 2 weeks before the accident.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 012010

My SRS light has been on for a few months. It was diagnosed that my SRS unit is broken, which I find hard to believe that something can be broken if it is has never been used. Now my air bags will not deploy if I crash. I have to ask Honda why this is not a safety warranty like a seat belt? this is threatening to any Honda driver and quite frankly, scary. I have read beyond numerous complaints regarding the same issue.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 162010

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact stated that a vehicle crashed into the rear of her vehicle while she was sitting idle which resulted in a five vehicle crash. The vehicle that crashed into her was traveling 60 mph. The air bags did not deploy. The contact and a passenger were injured and sustained bruises, abrasions and head injuries. The contact and passenger were transported to the hospital via ambulance. A police report was available. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Reno , NV, USA

Feb 112010

On going problem with SRS light on at 102,000 miles, Honda replaced front shoulder belt/retractor tensioner at 103,375 miles. SRS light on at 107,948 miles failed driver side seat belt tensioner, replaced by Honda. At 121,223 SRS light on again this time not seatbelt tensioner. I was told this is an airbag problem and the starting cost is $800. I was told the seatbelt will hold in an accident, but the airbags will not deploy and this needs to be repaired. I can't afford the repair cost involved. I really don't want to drive around in a small vehicle without airbags, but no option.

- Edwards, MS, USA

Jun 302010

SRS light stays on, Honda service department claims the air bag computer is bad and needs to be replaced, $700 + and it is not covered by any warranty. The car is a 2003 Honda Civic hybrid that has never been in any accident. I have replaced the hybrid battery (at 95,000 miles), and the car now has about 120,000 miles on it.

- Cary, NC, USA

Aug 302009

I have a 2003 Honda Civic. The last part of last year (2009), I turned my car on, and the SRS airbag light came on, and I took my car in to allen Honda in college station, tx for service. The service tech asked if I had spilled any water on my steering wheel or had any fender benders recently, to which I answered no. I was then informed it might cost up to four hundred dollars to completely investigate and fix the problem. The technician said it could mean that there is something wrong with either my driver's or passenger's side airbag that will cause them not to deploy in the event of an accident. I was taken aback by this because it is not part of regular wear and tear, but a vehicle malfunction and I did nothing to cause the airbag light to come on. I have not yet gotten this issue fixed and the airbag warning light is still on. I do have some concerns about safety, and feel it should not be my responsibility to cover the cost of something that is not considered normal wear and tear and is not the result of any type of misuse or accident. I have since been contacted by Honda and the representative alluded to the fact that the government handles any type of recalls.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 162009

I am the original owner of a 2003 Honda Civic si that has approximately 58,000 miles. The car has always been garaged and has always been maintained by Honda dealers. I have always met and in some cases exceeded the recommended maintenance intervals. In November of 2009, the SRS light appeared on my dash after starting the vehicle one morning. This occurred about 2 weeks after a routine oil/filter service visit at my local Honda dealer. I returned to the dealer and paid approximately $85 for the service department to evaluate why this SRS indicator light was illuminated. I was told my vehicle had a "bad inflater" that "would not inflate the air bags during a [collision]" and that I needed to order/purchase a new cable reel assembly. The estimated parts and labor charges would be $540. The service personnel told me that they weren't sure if the new cable reel assembly would resolve the SRS issue but they believed that it was at least partly to blame for the SRS light being illuminated on the dash. I am presently aware of the recall of a number of many 2003 Honda Civics but mine has not been included. The issue with my vehicle represents an unexplained failure of a critical safety system that is unacceptable given the age and usage of this vehicle. I am concerned that the current recall announced on February 9th does not reach far enough.

- Concord Township, OH, USA

Aug 152009

Airbag light (SRS) turns on, can be reset, airbag light will turn back on after one week passes.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 172009

I have a very common problem with my 2003 Honda Civic ex. The SRS warning light comes on when I plug in my gps, or use a cell phone, or put a package on my passenger seat. This is ridiculous and Honda refuses to give me an answer concerning this problem. Whether the sensors are too sensitive or defective is not for me to judge, but it definitely annoying and potentially dangerous, since no one can answer if my airbag will fail.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 132009

I was going threw a intersection (alone) in my 2003 coupe Honda Civic and a red full sized Ford truck hit the front driver side of my car at about 30 mph. The truck flipped and slid and my airbags never went off causing, memory loss, stage 3 concussion and other health problems. Nothing was done to fix it they said my car was totaled per the insurance company. And I took many pictures of it and the damaged parts before the took it.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

May 182009

Electronic sensor in seatbelt has been sporadically faulty since purchase of car. Finally, after warranty was up, dealership repair shop said it had to be replaced to tune of $380. Seatbelt sensor caused airbag indicator to go on, which also prevents airbag from opening. Had their been an accident, airbag would not have deployed.

- Malden, MA, USA

Feb 222008

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Civic. While stopped at a red light, the contact's vehicle was rear-ended. His vehicle then struck the preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. He suffered bruises on his hip and chest from the seat belt. The contact was unable to retain food due to the chest pain. He went to the hospital where it was discovered that he suffered broken ribs, a collapsed right lung, stomach trauma, a broken foot, and spinal cord damage. The doctor suggested that he have surgery, but the contact is avoiding the procedure. He feels that if the air bags would have deployed, he would not have to suffer so much pain in his back, neck, and stomach. The manufacturer has not returned any of his phone calls. The current and failure mileages were 89,000.

- Mcminnville, TN, USA

Nov 152008

The vehicle's SRS light started to come on. It would come on and off until it finally stayed on. We took it to the dealer and the dealer said it was the airbag control module. It would cost $700 to repair. Based on a different defect, Honda has extended the warranty on their SRS if the error code comes up as 15-1, 15-2, 15-3 (opds sensor or control unit). This warranty did not cover the defect I have on the airbag. My error code was 7-2, the "control module. With the SRS light on, the airbag (according to the dealer) is not active. I can not afford to pay $700 to fix this. This is a safety equipment issue resulting from a defect. Airbag shouldn't "wear out". I did some research on the internet and there are many complaints about this from other owners. At $700, I'm sure there are many drivers driving around without airbags. Honda Civic hybrid, 2003 45,000 miles.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 082007

Civic 4-cyl

I own a 2003 Honda Civic sedan. In 2007 I was in a front end collision with over $5,000 damage to my vehicle. Neither airbags deployed. I wasn't seriously injured but if the impact had been head on maybe I could have been.

- Surrey, Bc, 00, USA

Nov 032007

Civic 4-cyl

I was in a head on collision on 03nov2007 in Washington, DC. There were 4 vehicles involved in the accident, my vehicle a 2003 Honda Civic being the last automobile in the series. The crash rate of speed was from about a 55mph to 0mph. Neither my or my passengers airbag deployed resulting in ongoing injuries of the neck and spine. Mine requiring surgery and absenteeism from work. I would like to see some kind of investigation on why they did not deploy.

- Fort Belvoir, VA, USA

Oct 212007

Civic 4-cyl

My son was driving a 2003 Honda Civic si recently. He hit a telephone pole which totaled the vehicle. There was severe front end damage. The vehicle is equipped with air bags but they did not deploy. He and his passenger were restrained by the seatbelts and had only minor bruising from the accident.

- Sharon, MA, USA