9.1

$3,950.00

1. get new engine (44 reports)
  3. replace short block (22 reports)
  4. replaced engine (12 reports)
  5. honda paid for full repair (9 reports)
  6. get a new car (4 reports)
2006 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jul 312013

Civic LX 1.6L

While traveling from Rockford, IL over a period of three minutes, our 2006 Civic engine burned up & died leaving us 200 miles from home on the side of the road (I-80) near Joliet, IL. During these 3 minutes, we heard a slight ticking noise and then noticed that the car would not accelerate and it slowed down. As we stopped, the engine red light went on, (It was not on previously). My husband got out to check the oil & discovered that the dipstick was only 6 inches long (melted), and the engine was extremely hot. To make a long story short, we were towed to an AAA garage where the engine was pronounced dead by a computer diagnostic test,and the cost of repair was the value of of the car.

We visited the local Honda dealer and explained our engine problem and priced a new Honda Fit. Honda refused to take our dead Civic in trade and suggested that we donate it to charity. After a night in a motel, the next AM, we phoned our Honda dealer in MI (where we brought the dead Honda), told our sad story again, and we were quoted a price on a Honda Fit. Not satisfied with these interactions with Honda, we visited the local Toyota dealer where we were offered $1000 for our civic and we brought a Toyota Prius.

Upon returning home, we checked the internet and discovered the history of the 2006 Honda's engine problems and that Honda had issued an extended warranty to owners. We were totally unaware of this. Also Honda had issued an engine block assembly service bulletin 10-048 to the dealers concerning this problem. When contacting Honda of American in CA, we were told we had no claim because we hadn't taken the car to a Honda garage and that we had probably not maintained the car properly because there was no oil in the motor.. doesn't oil leak out when there is a cracked block??. (My husband is meticulous about oil changes- we had been 100% happy with this car until this event--never a service call..)

Also, Honda told us that since we no longer owned the car, we were out of luck. We feel cheated by Honda and felt they should have given us some money to recoup our loss. The Honda dealers we consulted should have been aware of the problems with the 2006 Civic. Honda also refused to give us a copy of their denial of our claim. We would have had Honda replace the motor if we had known.....

- , Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Jan 102014

Civic EX

My family purchased my 2006 Honda Civic brand new back in 2006. I have used the car exclusively since it was purchased and put a good amount of miles on it in that time, especially once I began commuting almost 60 miles a day into the city. For the most part, the car has done me very well, especially considering how much use I have got out of it! Ironically, my mother received notice of the extended warranty for the engine block problem and brought it to my attention on Thursday evening, as something to be keep an eye out for. Literally the next day, I noticed a very distinct burning smell while driving. I was not sure if it was actually coming from my car, so I decided to just monitor it. When I returned home from work on Friday, I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of smoke or steam coming from the front of my car, but again, not being a car expert, I decided to get a second opinion on the matter.

When my boyfriend got home that evening, I mentioned my observations and suggested we take my car to get dinner, so that he could see if something seemed off to him, as well. We were probably 4 minutes into our 5 minute drive when it became very apparent that something was not right - the burning smell was back, the car was smoking excessively, the defrost was emitting only cold air, and the temperature gauge was at the maximum. We made it to a parking lot and turned off the car to let it cool down, while I immediately called Honda to book an appointment for the following day. We were able to drive the car back to our house, as it was only a few minutes away. I arranged through Geico to have the car towed to Honda the next day because it was definitely not safe to drive any longer.

We got into Honda the next day and, sure enough, I needed a new engine. They informed me that I made the deadline for the extended warranty by about 3 months and, thanks to that, would be saving around $5k in expenses. Although I truly appreciate that Honda has recognized this problem, I think it is somewhat shameful that they have made this arbitrary cut-off, knowing full well that customers are likely to encounter this problem in the months/years after the extended warranty has passed. Regardless, my local Honda has handled the situation very well and informed me right away about the extended warranty, noting that all costs will be covered under that. They were also able to supply me with a loaner vehicle at the dealership's expense, which has been a great relief for our family and our transportation needs. It's great that Honda has acknowledged this manufacturing defect and taken ownership of it. I will likely remain a loyal customer thanks to that, though I would feel much differently if I were in the group that experienced this problem two years ago before the extended warranty was issued.

- , Bristow, Virginia, USA

Oct 012013

Civic EX 1.8L 4 cyl

honesty, considering i made it to 272,000 miles before my block cracked, i am thankful. others haven't been so lucky. I love this car and have put every mile on it myself. time to lay it to rest. dang shame because it has one strong engine! had it not been for this problem, i could have made it to 300,000 and beyond. that was my goal.

Update from Dec 4, 2013: Just an update. My car had 274,500 miles on it when i came across this site. I was adding a quart of coolant every 2 days. I had 2 days left on Honda's 8 year extended warranty that i found out about HERE. I called them, dropped my car off the next day and Honda replaced the whole dang engine!!!! No kidding!!! Piazza Honda of Drexel Hill, PA, where i originally bought the car. I am a happy camper and look forward to another 274,000. They gave me NO PROBLEM whatsoever. I WOULD buy another one in a heartbeat. True Story.

Claire from Pa.

- , Collingdale, PA, USA

Nov 152013

Civic ES

I bought my 2006 Civic brand new and have taken very good care of it with routine oil changes and service checks. My car has 127,000 miles and I was driving home from work last Friday which was partially highway and approximately 20 miles, 35 minutes in traffic. Almost made it home when my car starting shutting off, engine was smoking and the check engine light came on and was flashing as well as the thermostat indicating it was hot and ultimately the car died. This was not something that was gradual, it literally happened in a matter of minutes with no warning. Managed to get it started after a couple minutes and kept the car running long enough to get it home (approx. 4 miles). After it cooled, checked the oil and the dipstick literally melted in half with the bottom half still remaining inside the motor. The coolant was bone dry. Let it sit for a day and then filled the coolant as well as adding another quart and a half of oil. Car started but it sputtered a bit and made a clanking noise and it wasn't taking gas or accelerating properly. There was some leaking at the front of the engine near radiator but it was minimal so figured it was a leak in the hose and considered maybe it was the water pump. After driving the car around the block it was clear it wasn't the water pump and the leak seemed to be coming from the engine. Did some research online and found multiple complaints on this very issue which ended up being cracks in the block and/or blown head gasket. Took the car into the dealership and confirmed that it was blown head gasket and 2 cracks in the engine. Honda has an 8 year warranty extension for this very problem so the engine is being replaced under this warranty. This should have been a recall situation! So beware ...when your car gets over 100,000 miles this is a conceivable problem in the '06 models. Take your car to a Honda dealership and mention the extended warranty.

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Mar 032012

Civic EX 1.8L I4

I RECENTLY PURCHASED AN 06 CIVIC WITH 250K MILES, YES 250K MILES NOT A TYPO. IT RAN LIKE A NEW CAR BUT HAD A SLIGHT SMELL OF COOLANT AND WAS LOOSING COOLANT EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS. I FINALLY TOOK IT TO THE DEALER TO FIND OUT THE ENGINE BLOCK WAS CRACKED IN THE AREA OF THE AIR/ OIL SEPARATOR, NOT VISIBLE WITHOUT FURTHER INSPECTION. I WAS GIVEN A RENTAL CAR AND HONDA OF AMERICA TOOK CARE OF THE BILL. THEY REPLACED THE ENTIRE ENGINE BLOCK, PISTONS AND ALL EVEN THE DIPSTICK AND OIL PAN. I HAVE NO COMPLAINT ABOUT HONDA OF AMERICA AS THEY STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE BY ANNOUNCING THE 8YR UNLIMITED MILE WARRANTY WHICH BY THE WAY CAME IN HANDY AS I HAD A LITTLE OVER 250,000 MILES. I NOW HAVE A BRAND NEW ENGINE BLOCK IN MY 250K MILE CAR FREEEEEEEEEEEEE OF CHARGE. MY TOTAL BILL OUT THE DOOR WAS 0.00. I DID TAKE A PEEK AT HOW MUCH THE HONDA DEALER CHARGED HONDA OF AMERICA THE BILL WAS $3,400 TO HONDA, NOT ME. NO OTHER CAR COMPANY WOULD DO THIS JUST TO KEEP THEIR REPUTATION. THANKS HONDA OF AMERICA.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 142012

Civic EX

SOOO my Honda is only 6yrs old. Too bad for me I need to replace the engine cause of that nasty little crack that is surfacing on all these Honda's. Then i heard the good news of an extended warranty..woohoo!! Oh wait I'm a service member currently stationed overseas(Europe)...I don't get the extended warranty. Sorry SERVICE MEMBERS Honda doesn't give a CRAP about you. So here are my choices I can either pay about 6 grand(cause over here it's in EURO!!) to get a new engine or trash my car and buy a new one....NICE HUH.

- , Porcia, APO,AE, USA

Feb 082013

Civic LX 1.8L I4

First of all my car was purchased as a salvaged title with only 5,000 mi. on the odometer. The engine didn't have any damage to it, just to body panels and bumpers. I noticed coolant leaking from the car after I came home from work on a Friday, but didn't see any visible leaks from the radiator or hoses. The leak was coming from the engine and I thought did the water pump give up?

The leak was traced to the area behind the alternator and I found the TSB (08-044) online indicating engine block is cracking at the coolant passages. So I took the car into the Honda dealer on a Monday and had them check it out. They confirmed it was a engine block crack, but would not fix it because it was a salvaged vehicle. My first car was a Honda and I've had Honda cars ever since. This may be a sign of cost cutting from Honda or poor mfg. quality...whatever it is since I have to shell out my hard earned money to fix a manufacturer defect, I'll be purchasing another brand and give another automaker my loyalty.

Update from Jul 7, 2013: I ended up, buying a used engine (not just the block) and replacing the complete engine myself. It cost me $1,800

- , Winchester, CA, USA

Sep 102012

Civic EX

Cracked engine block with less than 90k miles. Another widespread Honda engine problem.

- , Westerville, Ohio, USA

Mar 012013

Civic LX

Currently on my 3rd letter to American Honda. THEY ARE USELESS AND SO IS PLANET HONDA IN UNION,NJ and they will scam the sh*t outta you.

I have had nothing but issues with this thing since I bought it BRAND NEW in 2006 with 2 miles on it. Now 7 years later I need a new engine????!!?!?! no...hell no...I've already had to replace the starter due to their neglect AND a cracked engine mount and the rear upper control arm kit (whatever the f*ck that means). I probably got charged for something I didn't need, like a chump, because it sounds made up.

F*CK YOU HONDA!!!!! never ever ever again with honda!!!! Luckily my friend is a lawyer and I am looking into legal action against them. I am owed a brand new engine and so is everyone else who has this problem!!! RECALL THESE CARS ALREADY HONDA!!! I ALMOST GOT STUCK IN BETWEEN AN INTERSECTION BECAUSE OF YOUR PIECE OF CRAP PRODUCT!!!!

- , South River, NJ, USA

Nov 212012

Civic DX 1.8L 4-cyl

11-28-12: I wanted to report that Honda has been excellent with this issue regarding replacing the engine, however their customer care sucks. I live 2.5 hours from the nearest dealer. When this overheating started the day before Thanksgiving my mechanic gave me the kiss of death "Cracked Engine Block" diagnosis. I spent 4 days trying to figure out how I was going to afford a new car. (I never received the letter stating it was a known issue in 2010!!) Did some research and found this site. I prayed that this issue would be covered. I called Largo Honda on Monday. They had the car towed to the Dealership ($450 tow) with the premise that if it wasn't the engine block I would be responsible for the tow. No problem. Just got the call yesterday (Tuesday), it is covered by the extended warranty. I will have a brand new engine in my 7 year old car! Thank god! My one complaint, is given my location, I have no transportation for 4 days. Honda refused a rental and refuses to tow the car back to me. I HAVE to go pick it up. I don't want to sound too sour as they are replacing the engine for free, but I don't think it's right to leave me stranded if it is a known issue! Total time should be about 1 week from first issue to full replacement! oh and BY THE WAY - while they are replacing the complete engine, they do not include the spark plugs. ???? Weird.

Update from Nov 27, 2013: 11/28/13 - Picked up the car on a Friday 12/7/12. 2 miles from the dealership the check engine light came on. Drove 2.5 hours home as at that time dealer was closed. Called dealer, told to bring it back immediately! 2 days later squealing (metal on metal) and complete loss of power, car shut off, would not restart. Turns out while the engine block was replaced, this dealership used a pneumatic tool to re-install the tensioner. By over tightening the bolts they sheared two off in the BRAND NEW block which caused tensioner to fail, eating the belt and nearly destroyed the water pump! Went to a local mechanic as I was not paying $450 for another tow!! Largo Honda denied all responsibility. After this fix, I had a check engine light that would not shut off. Refused to go back to original dealership of replacement after the service I received. 10/28/13 Gainesville Honda found that Largo Honda had destroyed a canister purge valve and JB Welded is back together and re-installed!! There's a fingerprint in the glue! This seems to be why the light turned on 2 miles from the dealer in the first place! I have since reported these issues to Honda and launched a complaint, contacted the dealership (which denies all responsibility) and am now updating this complaint.

- , Big Pine Key, FL, USA

Nov 302012

Civic LS

Great to hear i can rant about feeling wrong done by Honda. I had a leakage of anti freeze up to 6 months ago which at first only was visible from how much i had to refill my radiator and run off fill up. Then it started to get worse...i took it to my mechanic (as Honda marks up their work done by so much) who said my water pump was shot. Got it replaced for a cool $400 only to have it continue to leak the very next day. Further investigation revealed a cracked engine block. My friggin car is only 6 years old and I have taken it into Honda faithfully 2x a year for service. Dont you think they would have found the original problem with the slow leaking water pump...or maybe the crack in the engine block??? Was considering taking it to Honda to trade in FAST and get a minimal trade in value. But then I took it for one last opinion only to find out the entire engine was replaceable under an unlimited replacement recall on engine blocks for my model year...in other words....... HONDA KNEW ABOUT ENGINE BLOCK ISSUES AND NEVER REVEALED THIS!!! My mechanic ultimately saved me thousands of dollars and a lot of headaches! As of now, Im carless and waiting for my engine replacement to be finished. My situation with Honda has soured me against the make. They didn't want it to get out to Honda buyers that if your engine cracks prematurely, that it is completely covered free of charge!!

- , Ajax, ON, canada

Nov 272012

Civic

Car started leaking/burning coolant, but was running fine. The temperature gauge started to fluctuate before I got to the station, so I bought some anti-freeze and made it there without overheating. After about a day of work, my mechanic (and uncle) found the crack and reported the bad news.

Honda City on Long Island was very nice. They told me to have the mechanic top off the radiator and drive the car over. They called back about 3 hours later, confirmed the engine crack and said that they would cover it fully.

I am worried about future problems, so I'm definitely going to ask what they would give me on a trade-in.

The guy I talked to said they would call me back in 5 days with an update. I am wondering if I should call back and see about a possible rental car. He seemed to know my uncle, plus my Dad has been at Acura for over 20 years, so maybe I can convince them.

- , Bethpage, NY, USA

Jun 132012

Civic LX 1.8L

Honda aware of issue BEFORE issue occurred. Unaware vehicle was leaking coolant, dog drank coolant, incurred significant pet hospital bills, had to rent a car, all of which Honda refused to pay for. 3rd and last Honda we have/will own.

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 022012

Civic EX

My car has been in at the dealership for week now and there is no time as to when I'm going to get it back. I never got any letters from honda stating that there are problems with the engine blocks being cracked and how they extended the warranty on these cars. I'm a faithful Honda owner and this is my 6th Honda in our family. I have never had so many problems with this car for pretty much day one. I bring my car to Honda for EVERYTHING from basic service to new tires and brakes and to the same dealership everytime. I was driving my car to the dealership on 6/1/12 for an oil change, but on my way the car just shut off on me and died while I was driving. Then all the lights came on in the car saying there was a problem and my engine started smoking. After getting it towed to Honda and them looking at it for about 6 hours I got call back saying that the engine block was cracked and that would be covered under this extended warranty that Honda voluntarily did, but that it was going to cost me about $1,000 in labor and another $2,000 to replace the piston heads that warpped due to the engine overheating. They told me that Honda will not pay for new piston heads because it wasmy fault that I did not take it in to be looked at and drove while my engine was overheating. My dealership has been great throughout this whole thing and said that they would split the cost with me, but this being Honda's problem they need to take care of it not me or the dealership. I called American Honda directly and they opened up a case and we got an answer in about 36 hours that they will cover everything, but $300. As I was typing this I got a call from the dealership stating that the right engine mount as failed and does not need to be repaired, but if I did repair it, it would be another $250. I'm done with this car and the countless issues that I've had with it. If anyone needs American Honda's number it is: 1-800-999-1009 call and open up a claim and fight for your right!!!

- , Welsey Chapel, FL, USA

May 132012

Civic EX 1.8L V4

That's real SAKS!!!!

So many people affected with the same problem and Honda do what?????

Cannot believe, I used to love and respect Honda

...We need to get a GOOD Attorney!!!! and fight for our money!

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 152011

Civic EX 1.8L 4 V4

I bought my 2006 Honda Civic in 2007. I was in love! it was my first car (besides the soccer mom minivan i was given to drive when i got my license.) HA WAS I FOOLED!

I have had so many issues with this piece of sh*t Honda i just wanna push it off a bridge. I was driving on Interstate 495 outside of Washington DC right after rush hour but if your from the dc area you know what that means. A lot of cars going really fast. I Was driving to Vienna Va to see my dad when my temp gauge shot up to burning hot! with out any warning it didn't slowly go up. No it went from the cool to on fire in a blink of an eye. So had to swerve across 4 lanes of traffic at 80 MPH to the break down lane when my car shut off cause it blew up. I HATE THIS CAR SO MUCH

- , Jacksonville, NC, USA

Jan 102011

Civic LX

I bought my 2006 Honda Civic brand new from the dealership back in July of 2006. I purchased a Honda because of their reputation of being reliable vehicles. However, I have had NOTHING but problems with this car. Aside from the numerous recalls... I had to have the engine replaced. The Honda dealership said the engine was in such bad condition that they took a video of it to send to Honda. Mind you there was only 50,000 miles on the car (if even that) at the time. Virtually everything has had to be replaced on this vehicle. It has not been reliable in the slightest. I am very disappointed in Honda and at this point would not purchase one again.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 012011

Civic 1.8L

THIS CAR NEED NEW MOTOR THIS MONOBLOCK IS RUPTURE FOR FABRIC NO GOOD QUALITY, IS A DEFECT OF MANUFACTURE HONDA IS NOT GOOD CAR AND NOY GOOD FOR PERSONAL INJURE FOR TOXIC GAS IN PASAGER CAB, VERY TOXIC. PENALITY CRIMINAL COMPANY.

- , Metepec, Estado de Mexico, Mexico

Oct 052011

Civic LX 1.8L

Not happy with Honda at all. Just call the dealer and there is a recall for this problem.

I am not sure what will happen next. For now I am stuck with this BAD Honda car.

- , Springfield, VA, USA

May 232011

Civic DX-G 1.8L

2006 honda cicic - 82234 km---could not start the car -- dealer checked --- cracked engine block --replaced new engine under standand warantty - replaced ignition coil paid by my self

- , Mississauga, Ontario, Canada