9.0

$3,950.00

1. get new engine (45 reports)
  3. replace short block (23 reports)
  4. replaced engine (12 reports)
  5. honda paid for full repair (11 reports)
  6. get a new car (5 reports)
2006 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Aug 232014

Civic EX

Honda paid for the repair completely but I've had one noise after another in the care ever since. I've had to replace THREE wheel bearings since. Hard to imagine that these are related, but the engine was fixed in only two days and came out of the service department with a noise it didn't have before. The dealership refused to take responsibility and claimed it was tire problems (NOT!) or a front wheel bearing. Even after I had one front wheel bearing fixed it still had a noise that gradually got worse over the intervening 5000 miles, until I had to have the two left wheel bearings replaced in June 2015. Three days out of the shop and now it's developing another new wheel-related noise.

I understand that for these things to be related there would need to be a serious underlying and connecting issue of some kind, but it's also hard to believe that there is no connection with this new, never-ending series of problems that has appeared since the cracked engine repair. Three wheel bearings at 100-105K miles? And another new noise that develops as soon as one is resolved? Hard to believe in coincidence or a simulataneous-but-unrelated issue at this point.

ALSO--I only learned about the extended warranty from a mechanic I consulted to repair the cracked engine block. There was nothing on the Honda website about this extended warranty, and I'd have been on the hook to pay for the repair myself without this happy coincidence.

I'm preparing to trade the car back to the same dealership for a newer Civic built in a year with many fewer problems, and let them deal with the problem.

- , South San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 082014

Civic LX

click to see larger images

cracked engine block

On August 2014 My car stopped on side of the road in another city (than my own). I had the car towed to a local auto repair shop. The auto repair shop removed and replaced the harmonic balancer/serpentine belt and water pump assembly. Parts and labor were $584.28. The auto repair shop told me that the harmonic balance/serpentine belt was recalled by Honda. I never received the recall paperwork.

September 7, 2014 my car was shaking. I lifted up the hood to check for leaking and check the oil (I knew the oil was fine but I thought I would look). The oil stick was burned in half (see uploaded picture). I checked the internet for this issue and read that it is the engine block. September 8, I had my car towed to Auto Park Honda at 2100 Autopark Boulevard Cary, NC 27511 (the address has changed the new address is 3630 old Raleigh Rd. Cary, NC 27511. I was reluctantly given a loaner car.

Please read the following email exchanges between the Auto Park Honda Representative and I.

On Monday, September 8, 2014 5:57 PM, David Mastrangelo david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com wrote: Dear Ms. Jones, Here is a list of the items that we recommend replacing along with the engine block. With these items along with the items that Honda will be replacing under warranty, you'll basically have a completely rebuilt engine. Items include the timing chain and timing chain tensioner, and camshaft guides. There is also a fee to send the cylinder head to a machine shop to make sure the cylinder head is not warped.

Timing Chain. part no. 14401-RNA-A01 $123.92 Timing Chain Tensioner. part no. 14510-RNA-A01 $38.24 Timing Chain Guide. part no. 14520-RNA-A01 $19.58 Timing Chain Guide Arm. part no. 14530-RNA-A01 $19.62

Machine Shop Charges $91.85

Labor $306.66

Total charges with tax and shop fees will be approximately $640.00. We won't know if there is any damage to the cylinder head until we send it to the machine shop to be tested. If there is further damage detected, further charges may be required. I hope this answers all of the questions you may have. If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know. Thank you for your time and your business. I look forward to speaking with you soon. David

My reply To: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Subject: Questions concerning the engine block damage and Cylinder Head Recommendations Hi David, Please explain how each of the recommended items - the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, timing chain guard, timing chain guard arm, camshaft guides, and cylinder head, were damaged or possibly damaged due to the engine block damage.

What are the possible consequences of only repairing the engine block? What is the cost of repairing the engine block minus the recommended items? Thanks.

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:02 PM, David Mastrangelo david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com wrote: Good morning . I'd be happy to explain these items. The timing chain and associated parts are recommended due to the extreme heat caused by the engine block failure. The timing chain can stretch from being exposed to engine overheating. If the timing chain is stretched it can cause the check engine light to illuminate, the engine could become very noisy due to the chain being loose. With the timing chain loose, it could even slip off of the internal engine gears it's designed to ride on, almost like a bicycle chain. If that were to happen, major engine damage will occur. The timing chain guides are designed to keep the timing chain in place as well, once again, with the extreme heat, they may not be able to keep the timing chain in place properly, which could cause major engine damage. We also recommended having the cylinder head sent a machine shop to verify the cylinder head is not warped. This is a precautionary measure to assure that you won't have any further issues upon reassembly and to also verify that no other components have been damaged. If we reinstall the cylinder head without checking it, we would not be able to warranty the repair if the head gasket began to leak. The engine block replacement is covered under a warranty extension through Honda. There would not be a charge to you for replacing only the block. We are recommending these other items, however, to prevent damage to your new engine block. I hope this helps your decision. If there is anything else I can help you with, please give me a call.

David Mastrangelo AutoPark Honda Service

My reply Sent: 9/10/2014 12:37:33 AM To: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Subject: Re: Questions concerning the engine block damage and Cylinder Head Recommendations David, Thanks for the information. To verify: the minimum charges are $640.00. What are the maximum charges?

From: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Date: September 10, 2014 at 7:45:28 AM EDT Subject: Re: Questions concerning the engine block damage and Cylinder Head Recommendations You're very welcome. I apologize for sending the email so many times, I was having issues with my computer and I wanted to make sure you received the information you had requested in a timely fashion. Unfortunatley, I won't know exactly what the maximum charges may be until we get everything apart and have the cylinder head sent out to be checked. If any additional repairs are necessary, we will let you know of the additional charges before performing any further work. David Mastrangelo AutoPark Honda Service

September 12,2014 David, I didn't notice in the below emails the fee for having the cylinder head checked. Please advise. Thanks

------------------------- I contacted Lisa at Honda Customer service My case number is 09-110008 -----------------------------

Sep 12,2014 Ms. Jones, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, I've been having trouble with my email. I spoke with my service manager who then spoke to our Honda representative. He stated that Honda would cover the cost of checking the cylinder head for damage. If you'd like to move forward with the repair, please give us a call at 919-467-4747. I will be out of the office until Monday morning. Thank you again and I hope you have a great weekend. David Mastrangelo AutoPark Honda Service

Sent: 9/15/2014 8:24:59 AM To: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Subject: Fwd: Questions concerning the engine block damage and Cylinder Head Recommendations David, To verify, I will not need to pay the cost to check and if damaged, repair the cylinder head?

From: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Date: September 15, 2014 at 10:14:23 AM EDT Subject: Re: Fwd: Questions concerning the engine block damage and Cylinder Head Recommendations

You would not be charged for checking the cylinder head, if the cylinder head is damaged, there may be addition charges.

On Oct 1, 2014, at 9:36 AM, "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com wrote: Dear Ms. Jones,

I appreciate you getting in contact with me. The loaner vehicle will reach it's time limit on October 8, 2014. Please let me know something as soon as you're able. Thank you for your time. I look forward to speaking with you soon. David Mastrangelo AutoPark Honda Service

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:52 PM, David Mastrangelo david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com wrote: Dear Ms. Jones, I hope you've been well, I haven't communicated with you in quite some time, and I just wanted to give you the latest information. We sent your engine's cylinder head to a machine shop to be tested at no cost to you. The machine shop has informed us that the cylinder head is cracked and must be replaced. I have spoken to my service manager on your behalf. He has been in contact with our Honda representative and they have authorized to split the cost of the cylinder head replacement. The total charge for all necessary repairs and replacement of the timing chain components would be about $1812.00. I am confident that if you decide to move forward with the repairs, that your vehicle could easily run for another 200k miles. You'll basically have a brand new engine. Please give me call at 919-654-7171 or reply to this email as soon as you're able to. I'd be happy to go over the repairs and answer any questions you may have. Thank you for your time and I hope you have a great day.

Sent: 10/1/2014 8:28:54 AM To: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Subject: Re: 2006 Civic update Good morning David, I am waiting to hear from the Honda corporate office before I proceed. You stated in your voicemail on September 30, 2014 that the use of the loan car is about to expire. What day will the use of the loaner car expire?

On Oct 9, 2014, at 2:22 PM, David Mastrangelo david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com wrote: Dear Ms. Jones, I spoke with my service manager as soon as I got off of the phone with you last night. He spoke to our Honda representative today and they are willing to split not only the cost of the cylinder head replacement, but also the timing chain components. Our previous estimate of $1812.00 would now cost you $1492.00. Please email me back as soon as you are able to. We also need you to return to the dealership to update the registration for the loaner vehicle as it is set to expire. Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you. I do also want to let you know that we have moved to our new location. We are just next door at 3930 Old Raleigh Rd. David Mastrangelo AutoPark Honda Service

My reply Sent: 10/9/2014 8:32:44 PM To: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Subject: Re: 2006 Civic update Hi David, Lisa, Honda representative, told me that she spoke with your service manager. He extended the date of the loaner. Thank you for the updated address for Honda.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Honda Warranty extension states, "During the repair or replacement of the engine block, your dealer may recommend replacing other parts that are worn or have exceeded the normal service interval. These will not be covered by the warranty."

I have spoken to Lisa and her supervisor Christina, at the Honda corporate office. Both ladies have stated that extreme damage from the engine block damaged the "recommended items." The email from David also stated that "the timing chain and associated parts are recommended due to extreme caused by engine block failure." The warranty extension states " your dealer may recommend replacing parts that are worn or have exceeded the normal service interval." The parts recommended are damaged due to extreme heat from engine block failure. The recommended parts were not worn or exceeded the normal service interval. I should not have to pay for items that were damaged by the engine block due to extreme heat. Also, the warranty does not mention mileage limits.

When did the consumer start paying for parts that were damaged by the manufacturer's failed part?

- , MOrrisville, NC, USA

Aug 282014

Civic LX 1.8L 4 cyl

Noticed coolant on the ground, looked at the hoses however, I could not find any damage. After looking further I noticed the leak coming from the engine. I was able to get the car to the dealer at which point the adivser wrote-up the repair order. I was contacted later by the service adviser, the engine would need to be replaced and Honda would pay for it. This saved me a lot of $$$ as the estimated cost was over 3k. While the problem was fixed at no cost to me the story continues, please look under transmission....to be continued.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 222014

Civic EX 1.8L

Honda fixed at no charge promptly. My mechanic was fantastic charge $39 to diagnose & advised of warranty

- , Midloathian, VA, USA

May 312014

Civic EX

As the single owner and driver of an 06 Honda Civic that I purchased new and paid for in full (over a year ago), I have taken pride in the fact that I religiously full service the vehicle as recommended since I drove it off the lot. Per my routine, I had the vehicle serviced last week prior to a day trip to Virginia yesterday- Sat. 5/31/14.

Upon my return home from VA , at 8:30pm (approximately an hour from home) a heard a whistling/humming I had never heard before. As I slowed down to listen closer to determine origin, I see that no engine lights or temperature gauge indicate a problem, then the car sputters, rapidly losing power -I barely made it to the side of the road safely out of traffic when the car shuts off and smoke and gurgling sounds are heard coming from the engine. I had absolutely no warning or even a hint of a problem; no noises, no dash lights on, no issues with ignition, gears, or driving performance. It was dusk, had to arrange my transportation home, car tow (300 bucks) to a mechanic who reports cracked engine block-not drivable and not worth the thousands to repair.

I rely heavily on my one and only vehicle for transportation to commute 50 miles round trip to work full time. So I have reserved a rental today online in hopes that will speed up the process for a car rental tomorrow morning. I will be lucky to make it to work late. Soooo, my boss has to be notified, the off site center has to be notified to ensure coverage at my job in my absence.

I could go on and on and on with the costs involved, time involved and the incredible inconvenience of this event not to mention all of the preventive measures and countless hours taken to buy a well researched highly ranked vehicle prior to its purchase, that I have consistently maintained for the duration of ownership!!! I had to check Honda recalls online-knowing that would be the only thing that would make sense of this event.

- , Lavale, MD, USA

Jul 312013

Civic LX 1.6L

While traveling from Rockford, IL over a period of three minutes, our 2006 Civic engine burned up & died leaving us 200 miles from home on the side of the road (I-80) near Joliet, IL. During these 3 minutes, we heard a slight ticking noise and then noticed that the car would not accelerate and it slowed down. As we stopped, the engine red light went on, (It was not on previously). My husband got out to check the oil & discovered that the dipstick was only 6 inches long (melted), and the engine was extremely hot. To make a long story short, we were towed to an AAA garage where the engine was pronounced dead by a computer diagnostic test,and the cost of repair was the value of of the car.

We visited the local Honda dealer and explained our engine problem and priced a new Honda Fit. Honda refused to take our dead Civic in trade and suggested that we donate it to charity. After a night in a motel, the next AM, we phoned our Honda dealer in MI (where we brought the dead Honda), told our sad story again, and we were quoted a price on a Honda Fit. Not satisfied with these interactions with Honda, we visited the local Toyota dealer where we were offered $1000 for our civic and we brought a Toyota Prius.

Upon returning home, we checked the internet and discovered the history of the 2006 Honda's engine problems and that Honda had issued an extended warranty to owners. We were totally unaware of this. Also Honda had issued an engine block assembly service bulletin 10-048 to the dealers concerning this problem. When contacting Honda of American in CA, we were told we had no claim because we hadn't taken the car to a Honda garage and that we had probably not maintained the car properly because there was no oil in the motor.. doesn't oil leak out when there is a cracked block??. (My husband is meticulous about oil changes- we had been 100% happy with this car until this event--never a service call..)

Also, Honda told us that since we no longer owned the car, we were out of luck. We feel cheated by Honda and felt they should have given us some money to recoup our loss. The Honda dealers we consulted should have been aware of the problems with the 2006 Civic. Honda also refused to give us a copy of their denial of our claim. We would have had Honda replace the motor if we had known.....

- , Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Jan 102014

Civic EX

My family purchased my 2006 Honda Civic brand new back in 2006. I have used the car exclusively since it was purchased and put a good amount of miles on it in that time, especially once I began commuting almost 60 miles a day into the city. For the most part, the car has done me very well, especially considering how much use I have got out of it! Ironically, my mother received notice of the extended warranty for the engine block problem and brought it to my attention on Thursday evening, as something to be keep an eye out for. Literally the next day, I noticed a very distinct burning smell while driving. I was not sure if it was actually coming from my car, so I decided to just monitor it. When I returned home from work on Friday, I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of smoke or steam coming from the front of my car, but again, not being a car expert, I decided to get a second opinion on the matter.

When my boyfriend got home that evening, I mentioned my observations and suggested we take my car to get dinner, so that he could see if something seemed off to him, as well. We were probably 4 minutes into our 5 minute drive when it became very apparent that something was not right - the burning smell was back, the car was smoking excessively, the defrost was emitting only cold air, and the temperature gauge was at the maximum. We made it to a parking lot and turned off the car to let it cool down, while I immediately called Honda to book an appointment for the following day. We were able to drive the car back to our house, as it was only a few minutes away. I arranged through Geico to have the car towed to Honda the next day because it was definitely not safe to drive any longer.

We got into Honda the next day and, sure enough, I needed a new engine. They informed me that I made the deadline for the extended warranty by about 3 months and, thanks to that, would be saving around $5k in expenses. Although I truly appreciate that Honda has recognized this problem, I think it is somewhat shameful that they have made this arbitrary cut-off, knowing full well that customers are likely to encounter this problem in the months/years after the extended warranty has passed. Regardless, my local Honda has handled the situation very well and informed me right away about the extended warranty, noting that all costs will be covered under that. They were also able to supply me with a loaner vehicle at the dealership's expense, which has been a great relief for our family and our transportation needs. It's great that Honda has acknowledged this manufacturing defect and taken ownership of it. I will likely remain a loyal customer thanks to that, though I would feel much differently if I were in the group that experienced this problem two years ago before the extended warranty was issued.

- , Bristow, VA, USA

Oct 012013

Civic EX 1.8L 4 cyl

honesty, considering i made it to 272,000 miles before my block cracked, i am thankful. others haven't been so lucky. I love this car and have put every mile on it myself. time to lay it to rest. dang shame because it has one strong engine! had it not been for this problem, i could have made it to 300,000 and beyond. that was my goal.

Update from Dec 4, 2013: Just an update. My car had 274,500 miles on it when i came across this site. I was adding a quart of coolant every 2 days. I had 2 days left on Honda's 8 year extended warranty that i found out about HERE. I called them, dropped my car off the next day and Honda replaced the whole dang engine!!!! No kidding!!! Piazza Honda of Drexel Hill, PA, where i originally bought the car. I am a happy camper and look forward to another 274,000. They gave me NO PROBLEM whatsoever. I WOULD buy another one in a heartbeat. True Story.

Claire from Pa.

- , Collingdale, PA, USA

Nov 152013

Civic ES

I bought my 2006 Civic brand new and have taken very good care of it with routine oil changes and service checks. My car has 127,000 miles and I was driving home from work last Friday which was partially highway and approximately 20 miles, 35 minutes in traffic. Almost made it home when my car starting shutting off, engine was smoking and the check engine light came on and was flashing as well as the thermostat indicating it was hot and ultimately the car died. This was not something that was gradual, it literally happened in a matter of minutes with no warning. Managed to get it started after a couple minutes and kept the car running long enough to get it home (approx. 4 miles). After it cooled, checked the oil and the dipstick literally melted in half with the bottom half still remaining inside the motor. The coolant was bone dry. Let it sit for a day and then filled the coolant as well as adding another quart and a half of oil. Car started but it sputtered a bit and made a clanking noise and it wasn't taking gas or accelerating properly. There was some leaking at the front of the engine near radiator but it was minimal so figured it was a leak in the hose and considered maybe it was the water pump. After driving the car around the block it was clear it wasn't the water pump and the leak seemed to be coming from the engine. Did some research online and found multiple complaints on this very issue which ended up being cracks in the block and/or blown head gasket. Took the car into the dealership and confirmed that it was blown head gasket and 2 cracks in the engine. Honda has an 8 year warranty extension for this very problem so the engine is being replaced under this warranty. This should have been a recall situation! So beware ...when your car gets over 100,000 miles this is a conceivable problem in the '06 models. Take your car to a Honda dealership and mention the extended warranty.

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Mar 032012

Civic EX 1.8L I4

I RECENTLY PURCHASED AN 06 CIVIC WITH 250K MILES, YES 250K MILES NOT A TYPO. IT RAN LIKE A NEW CAR BUT HAD A SLIGHT SMELL OF COOLANT AND WAS LOOSING COOLANT EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS. I FINALLY TOOK IT TO THE DEALER TO FIND OUT THE ENGINE BLOCK WAS CRACKED IN THE AREA OF THE AIR/ OIL SEPARATOR, NOT VISIBLE WITHOUT FURTHER INSPECTION. I WAS GIVEN A RENTAL CAR AND HONDA OF AMERICA TOOK CARE OF THE BILL. THEY REPLACED THE ENTIRE ENGINE BLOCK, PISTONS AND ALL EVEN THE DIPSTICK AND OIL PAN. I HAVE NO COMPLAINT ABOUT HONDA OF AMERICA AS THEY STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE BY ANNOUNCING THE 8YR UNLIMITED MILE WARRANTY WHICH BY THE WAY CAME IN HANDY AS I HAD A LITTLE OVER 250,000 MILES. I NOW HAVE A BRAND NEW ENGINE BLOCK IN MY 250K MILE CAR FREEEEEEEEEEEEE OF CHARGE. MY TOTAL BILL OUT THE DOOR WAS 0.00. I DID TAKE A PEEK AT HOW MUCH THE HONDA DEALER CHARGED HONDA OF AMERICA THE BILL WAS $3,400 TO HONDA, NOT ME. NO OTHER CAR COMPANY WOULD DO THIS JUST TO KEEP THEIR REPUTATION. THANKS HONDA OF AMERICA.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 142012

Civic EX

SOOO my Honda is only 6yrs old. Too bad for me I need to replace the engine cause of that nasty little crack that is surfacing on all these Honda's. Then i heard the good news of an extended warranty..woohoo!! Oh wait I'm a service member currently stationed overseas(Europe)...I don't get the extended warranty. Sorry SERVICE MEMBERS Honda doesn't give a CRAP about you. So here are my choices I can either pay about 6 grand(cause over here it's in EURO!!) to get a new engine or trash my car and buy a new one....NICE HUH.

- , Porcia, APO,AE, USA

Feb 082013

Civic LX 1.8L I4

First of all my car was purchased as a salvaged title with only 5,000 mi. on the odometer. The engine didn't have any damage to it, just to body panels and bumpers. I noticed coolant leaking from the car after I came home from work on a Friday, but didn't see any visible leaks from the radiator or hoses. The leak was coming from the engine and I thought did the water pump give up?

The leak was traced to the area behind the alternator and I found the TSB (08-044) online indicating engine block is cracking at the coolant passages. So I took the car into the Honda dealer on a Monday and had them check it out. They confirmed it was a engine block crack, but would not fix it because it was a salvaged vehicle. My first car was a Honda and I've had Honda cars ever since. This may be a sign of cost cutting from Honda or poor mfg. quality...whatever it is since I have to shell out my hard earned money to fix a manufacturer defect, I'll be purchasing another brand and give another automaker my loyalty.

Update from Jul 7, 2013: I ended up, buying a used engine (not just the block) and replacing the complete engine myself. It cost me $1,800

- , Winchester, CA, USA

Sep 102012

Civic EX

Cracked engine block with less than 90k miles. Another widespread Honda engine problem.

- , Westerville, OH, USA

Mar 012013

Civic LX

Currently on my 3rd letter to American Honda. THEY ARE USELESS AND SO IS PLANET HONDA IN UNION,NJ and they will scam the sh*t outta you.

I have had nothing but issues with this thing since I bought it BRAND NEW in 2006 with 2 miles on it. Now 7 years later I need a new engine????!!?!?! no...hell no...I've already had to replace the starter due to their neglect AND a cracked engine mount and the rear upper control arm kit (whatever the f*ck that means). I probably got charged for something I didn't need, like a chump, because it sounds made up.

F*CK YOU HONDA!!!!! never ever ever again with honda!!!! Luckily my friend is a lawyer and I am looking into legal action against them. I am owed a brand new engine and so is everyone else who has this problem!!! RECALL THESE CARS ALREADY HONDA!!! I ALMOST GOT STUCK IN BETWEEN AN INTERSECTION BECAUSE OF YOUR PIECE OF CRAP PRODUCT!!!!

- , South River, NJ, USA

Nov 212012

Civic DX 1.8L 4-cyl

11-28-12: I wanted to report that Honda has been excellent with this issue regarding replacing the engine, however their customer care sucks. I live 2.5 hours from the nearest dealer. When this overheating started the day before Thanksgiving my mechanic gave me the kiss of death "Cracked Engine Block" diagnosis. I spent 4 days trying to figure out how I was going to afford a new car. (I never received the letter stating it was a known issue in 2010!!) Did some research and found this site. I prayed that this issue would be covered. I called Largo Honda on Monday. They had the car towed to the Dealership ($450 tow) with the premise that if it wasn't the engine block I would be responsible for the tow. No problem. Just got the call yesterday (Tuesday), it is covered by the extended warranty. I will have a brand new engine in my 7 year old car! Thank god! My one complaint, is given my location, I have no transportation for 4 days. Honda refused a rental and refuses to tow the car back to me. I HAVE to go pick it up. I don't want to sound too sour as they are replacing the engine for free, but I don't think it's right to leave me stranded if it is a known issue! Total time should be about 1 week from first issue to full replacement! oh and BY THE WAY - while they are replacing the complete engine, they do not include the spark plugs. ???? Weird.

Update from Nov 27, 2013: 11/28/13 - Picked up the car on a Friday 12/7/12. 2 miles from the dealership the check engine light came on. Drove 2.5 hours home as at that time dealer was closed. Called dealer, told to bring it back immediately! 2 days later squealing (metal on metal) and complete loss of power, car shut off, would not restart. Turns out while the engine block was replaced, this dealership used a pneumatic tool to re-install the tensioner. By over tightening the bolts they sheared two off in the BRAND NEW block which caused tensioner to fail, eating the belt and nearly destroyed the water pump! Went to a local mechanic as I was not paying $450 for another tow!! Largo Honda denied all responsibility. After this fix, I had a check engine light that would not shut off. Refused to go back to original dealership of replacement after the service I received. 10/28/13 Gainesville Honda found that Largo Honda had destroyed a canister purge valve and JB Welded is back together and re-installed!! There's a fingerprint in the glue! This seems to be why the light turned on 2 miles from the dealer in the first place! I have since reported these issues to Honda and launched a complaint, contacted the dealership (which denies all responsibility) and am now updating this complaint.

- , Big Pine Key, FL, USA

Nov 302012

Civic LS

Great to hear i can rant about feeling wrong done by Honda. I had a leakage of anti freeze up to 6 months ago which at first only was visible from how much i had to refill my radiator and run off fill up. Then it started to get worse...i took it to my mechanic (as Honda marks up their work done by so much) who said my water pump was shot. Got it replaced for a cool $400 only to have it continue to leak the very next day. Further investigation revealed a cracked engine block. My friggin car is only 6 years old and I have taken it into Honda faithfully 2x a year for service. Dont you think they would have found the original problem with the slow leaking water pump...or maybe the crack in the engine block??? Was considering taking it to Honda to trade in FAST and get a minimal trade in value. But then I took it for one last opinion only to find out the entire engine was replaceable under an unlimited replacement recall on engine blocks for my model year...in other words....... HONDA KNEW ABOUT ENGINE BLOCK ISSUES AND NEVER REVEALED THIS!!! My mechanic ultimately saved me thousands of dollars and a lot of headaches! As of now, Im carless and waiting for my engine replacement to be finished. My situation with Honda has soured me against the make. They didn't want it to get out to Honda buyers that if your engine cracks prematurely, that it is completely covered free of charge!!

- , Ajax, ON, canada

Nov 272012

Civic

Car started leaking/burning coolant, but was running fine. The temperature gauge started to fluctuate before I got to the station, so I bought some anti-freeze and made it there without overheating. After about a day of work, my mechanic (and uncle) found the crack and reported the bad news.

Honda City on Long Island was very nice. They told me to have the mechanic top off the radiator and drive the car over. They called back about 3 hours later, confirmed the engine crack and said that they would cover it fully.

I am worried about future problems, so I'm definitely going to ask what they would give me on a trade-in.

The guy I talked to said they would call me back in 5 days with an update. I am wondering if I should call back and see about a possible rental car. He seemed to know my uncle, plus my Dad has been at Acura for over 20 years, so maybe I can convince them.

- , Bethpage, NY, USA

Jun 132012

Civic LX 1.8L

Honda aware of issue BEFORE issue occurred. Unaware vehicle was leaking coolant, dog drank coolant, incurred significant pet hospital bills, had to rent a car, all of which Honda refused to pay for. 3rd and last Honda we have/will own.

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 022012

Civic EX

My car has been in at the dealership for week now and there is no time as to when I'm going to get it back. I never got any letters from honda stating that there are problems with the engine blocks being cracked and how they extended the warranty on these cars. I'm a faithful Honda owner and this is my 6th Honda in our family. I have never had so many problems with this car for pretty much day one. I bring my car to Honda for EVERYTHING from basic service to new tires and brakes and to the same dealership everytime. I was driving my car to the dealership on 6/1/12 for an oil change, but on my way the car just shut off on me and died while I was driving. Then all the lights came on in the car saying there was a problem and my engine started smoking. After getting it towed to Honda and them looking at it for about 6 hours I got call back saying that the engine block was cracked and that would be covered under this extended warranty that Honda voluntarily did, but that it was going to cost me about $1,000 in labor and another $2,000 to replace the piston heads that warpped due to the engine overheating. They told me that Honda will not pay for new piston heads because it wasmy fault that I did not take it in to be looked at and drove while my engine was overheating. My dealership has been great throughout this whole thing and said that they would split the cost with me, but this being Honda's problem they need to take care of it not me or the dealership. I called American Honda directly and they opened up a case and we got an answer in about 36 hours that they will cover everything, but $300. As I was typing this I got a call from the dealership stating that the right engine mount as failed and does not need to be repaired, but if I did repair it, it would be another $250. I'm done with this car and the countless issues that I've had with it. If anyone needs American Honda's number it is: 1-800-999-1009 call and open up a claim and fight for your right!!!

- , Welsey Chapel, FL, USA

May 132012

Civic EX 1.8L V4

That's real SAKS!!!!

So many people affected with the same problem and Honda do what?????

Cannot believe, I used to love and respect Honda

...We need to get a GOOD Attorney!!!! and fight for our money!

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA