Cracked Engine Block

2006 Honda Civic (Page 1 of 8)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

9.1

$2,718.00

1. get new engine (49 reports)
  3. replace short block (26 reports)
  4. replaced engine (15 reports)
  5. honda paid for full repair (12 reports)
  6. get a new car (8 reports)
2006 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Mar 272017

Civic DX-G 1.8L

I can't believe how many people have had the same problem as me. I have had my civic for more than 11 yrs with no issue ever. Three weeks ago on my way to work the engine overheats. I stop the car and get it towed to my mechanic. He calls me later to say I have a cracked block and the engine is now useless and needs to be replaced. I did receive a letter from Honda Canada stating that they know there is a problem with the engine blocks and are extending the warranty to 10 yrs with unlimited mileage. After calling their " customer service" number I had to wait two weeks for them to get back to me. And of course it's the old company line of " sorry sir but your warranty has expired so we cannot help you".It infuriates me and utterly blows my mind that they take no responsibility for selling me a car with an engine that they knew was faulty but did nothing about. Where was the recall??? I bought the car brand new believing I was getting Honda quality and reliability. I did everything to maintain and look after my car. Nothing I did caused the engine block to crack and there was nothing I could do to prevent it because it was faulty from the day it was made. The only question was when the engine block would decide to crack. It should not matter when the engine fails because the reason it fails is the same in every case and that is because it was manufactured with a flaw. How is that now my fault just because it did not occur within Honda self imposed time limit. I work in the automotive industry and everyone I talk to can't believe that Honda would not step up and deal with a known problem regardless of time. Honda Canada's customer service has not been interested at all to hear any of my concerns but they stick to their script of sorry but your warranty has expired. That is the biggest pile of bs in the world and I can't believe they would treat their paying customer so poorly. How can you turn your back on a faulty engine block because my car is now literally worthless with a broken engine that is 100% Hondas fault. Never ever will I drive another Honda. I am done with them.

- , Delta, BC, Canada

Jun 022016

Civic 1.8L

Well... im sure im going to make some people upset with their honda dealers on this one.. On our way to ottawa in 2009 the engine block cracked like most civics did at 90,000km. we pulled over at a mechanic on the side of the road who somehow had a honda engine in stock, he replaced it for about 125$ for extra things he changed out during the service. (and we bought him donuts + coffee)

I think 2006 was their first year producing aluminium blocks and they had made a weak spot in the design causing the crack, in 2010 they started to produce the "upgraded engines" (why the wait I dont know) so I had received another lemon engine in 2009

My new engine block had cracked again in october of 2015 when someone at work pointed to a pile of coolant under my car. At the time I was working & going to school so money wasn't very flexible and I had decided to just keep driving it instead of buying a new car, somehow I managed to drive the car from october 2015-June 2016 (canadian winter season) with the cracked block. (mostly highway driving so very little idling). With the cracked block i put upwards of 30,000km on the car because I was going roughly 40km each way for school everyday 5 or 6 times a week. I even took the car from New brunswick to Ontario and back, im a ballsy 20 year old because its 1100km each way =D. My theory was the crack in the block and the cooler ambient temperature was releasing the pressure that would normally cause the "explosion" in your engine. Along with this the radiator was in an impact collision in 2013 and the AC condenser was pushed into the radiator hard enough to stop the coolant from leaking.

I had called my honda dealer once the car started overheating around june of 2016 (warmer temperatures outside) to just ask about the TSB i had found online, my inital words to the manager were "im contacting you about TSB-1028 (i think its 1028)" to let him know I understood it was a lemon, they completely replaced the block at my dealership free of charge in 2016 at 297,000kms. I had dropped the car off on Monday night and by Wednesday afternoon the engine was already in the car. the car now has 308,000 with no signs of slowing down. I had even asked him before going in if there was a service fee just to figure out if its the block and there was nothing. My car was purchased brand new by my parents in july of 2006 and I was in the 10 year warranty by 2 months, so 2 months longer and it would have costed me about 4800$

The same dealership also tried to quote us 1600 to replace brakes, rotors and pads, we had an independent mechanic do the work and when he took everything off the brakes were at 40% and the rotors were fine so.. be wary of dealing with your dealership, but nothing to say but nice things about this experience.. makes me want to buy another honda (if it doesnt need 3 engines...) All in all the complaint still sticks to my second engine blowing up but I felt the backstory to this little car is great and worth sharing (so if your engine is not covered dont drive in in the summer, wait until the winter and it might be an okay winter car saving a nicer set of wheels from rusting)

- , saint john, NB, Canada

Mar 162017

Civic

I have had my Honda Civic for over 11 years. I bought it with only 1 mile on it and it now has 212,750 miles. I have maintained my vehicle, making sure to do all recommended services when needed. I have NEVER had any major issues with my Honda. I always took it in for any recalls or manufacturer extended warranties that I had knowledge of. In fact, I had just made an appointment to have the airbag replaced that was on recall.

The end of last week my car started overheating. This has never ever happened in the 11 years I've owned the car. I immediately took it to my mechanic who told me that I had a cracked block and the coolant was leaking through the cracks. He advised me to take the car to the dealership immediately because he knew there was an extended warranty for that very issue. When I took it to the dealership, they advised me that the warranty was only good for 10 years from date of purchase. I contacted Honda customer service, who acknowledged there was a warranty but I have exceeded the coverage time of 10 years. I argued that if they knew it was an existing problem, there should be no "expiration" date.

I have always bragged about how good a car my Honda was. I grew up being told that you couldn't go wrong with a Honda and it would last longer than I wanted it to. Even when I heard negative things about Honda, things like the service and quality of the vehicles aren't as good as they used to be, I would still stand up for Honda. I was even looking at buying a new Honda next year. Now, I'm not so sure I want to stay with Honda.

Honda has no problem promoting new business with the "Helpful Honda" campaign. But they don't want to take care of their loyal customers who have driven their vehicles and stood by the company name for many years. I am extremely disappointed!

- , Anaheim, US

Jan 202017

Civic LX 1.8L 4

I bought a used, one owner 2006 Honda Civic with 96K last year for my daughter thinking it would be reliable car for her. While driving it myself I noticed steam coming from under the hood. I thought it would be minor, just a leaking hose and drove it to my mechanic. He later informed me that it was leaking coolant from a cracked engine block. He found that there was a Honda service bulletin and a manufacturers defect and that Honda extended the warranty not once but twice to a total of 10 years. Unfortunately the car is six months past the extended warranty cutoff and Honda refuses to do anything. I also have an 09 Honda Civic for my other daughter and can't get a straight answer if her car is prone to the same issue. The Honda service agent at the dealership mentioned several other Civics they've seen in recent weeks with the same issue. American Honda has been no help and I waisted five days waiting for my case to be reviewed only to hear again that they won't help with the repairs. This is a huge issue and Honda needs to step up and recall all of these cars. I will never buy another Honda and neither will my children. Think about that and multiply it by all the people affected. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 162016

Civic

My daughter purchased this car in Dec 2013 from a car dealership. She has only had this car 3 years with almost a year only driven once a week as she was away for the military. Today she was on her way to work and the car overheated. Determination was the engine block was cracked. She was also advised that there was an extended 10 year warranty as Honda knew about the issue on Honda Civics from 2006 to 2009.

Called Honda today and they stated that the car was purchased new in May 2006 so the extended warranty expired in May 2016. We advised had we known about this issue when we purchased it used we would not have purchased it. We were never notified that this was an issue. Janey at Honda advised that we would not have been notified as it was just an extended warranty and not a recall.

Seriously, they know it is an issue but are doing nothing to fix it. Now my daughter, who is in the military, serving our country is stuck without a vehicle and still owes money on the car to pay off her loan. What now! We have to wait a week for them to review to see if they will do anything for her at all. In the meantime, she will need to pay for a car rental out of her own pocket. WOW!!!!

To top it off, when my daughter called before I called them back, she had spoke to a manager named Warren who hung up on her. How professional is that!

Update from Jan 3, 2017: My daughter ended up trading her car in for another car as Honda Civic refused to help her. The warranty was only extended for the original date of purchase which the original owner purchased in May 2006. My daughter bought the car from a dealership in Dec 2013. The extended warranty expired in May 2006 but we were never made aware of the issue nor did we receive a letter from Honda in 2014 when they extended the warranty. Now my daughter, who only owed $2300 on the car now has a $13,000 car loan because of having to buy another car. The car dealership would only give her $1500 for her Honda Civic which is very understandable so now she had to carry over the remaining to her new car loan.

- , Watsontown, PA, USA

Dec 092016

Civic LX

Honda has a known issue with 2006, 2007, 2008 and some 2009 Civics where the engine block cracks. They had previously issued a TSB and extended the warranty for 10 years from date of purchase. We have a 2006 Civic purchased in 11/2005 that had a cracked engine block last week. The car only has 62000 miles with a single owner/driver. Given Honda's reputation for cars which last many miles we asked Honda to extend the warranty to cover this vehicle and they denied the request. Repair cost is $4000 on a vehicle with a blue book value of $4500. Tried calling Honda Customer Service and that was a disaster, took 3 phone calls before they would accept the question; only had a response to the question after I some public tweets. Noticed several complaints about the same issue on this website. No one seems to be getting any satisfaction on this issue.

- , Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Oct 072016

Civic EX 102,000

As indicated by this webpage the average milage before a cracked engine block is about 88.5k miles. If a person were to drive about 8k miles a year they would hit this in about 11 years. 1 year after their extended warrenty expired. This is a manufacturing issue as acknowledge by Honda in a letter. I bought this car in the past because of positive reviews online but of course it would take time to hit the 100k mark of an engine.

I am hugely hugely dissapointed that they Honda is tarnishing their name by not doing something with this known defect.

- , Pittsburg, CA, USA

Aug 212016

Civic LX

I thought it was amazing that this,well taken care of, car over heated a month and a half after the extended warranty ended. The company knew that there was a problem with this weld on the block. I bought this vehicle because it was rated as reliable.

- , Slidell, LA, USA

Nov 042016

Civic LX 1.8L

Driving to work 3 miles when the car starts smoking out of the hood just as I arrived. Opened hood to see coolant running down the middle of the engine behind and slightly to the right of the header pipe. Upon closer inspection and after the smoke had cleared I see a crack about 3 inches in length running parallel to the engine with coolant still leaking out. Towed the car home.

Researched the problem to find out that it is very common on these models and also found out for the first time about the extended warranty because Honda till this day has never sent me any recall or TSB letters. I call Honda and get the usual runaround and a sorry your car is out of the extended warranty period :) How convenient for Honda! My next steps- Consumer Affairs complaint, BBB complaint, and civil suit in progress. This is a known problem with an apparent manufacturers defect in the blocks of these engines and I will not accept a sorry you're screwed from Honda and neither should any of you that are affected.

I urge all of you to make the same complaints to Consumer Affairs and the BBB, along with a civil suit, in efforts of getting a Class Action Settlement just like the folks did from Toyota for the rusted out trucks. We can do this!

- , Garfield, NJ, USA

Mar 272016

Civic 1.8L

Purchases the car used from a reputable Honda dealership in 12/2015. All maintenance performed regularly per car history. On the night on 3/27/16 I saw a puddle of coolant under the right side of the car. After an hour of searching I found a hairline crack in the block just behind and below the alternator. As there were no check engine lights nor were there any over overheating issues prior to this leak. I searched the issue online and sure enough, TSB 08-044 popped up and I saw this was a common occurrence with this model year. Then crack in my block was in the identical spot as shown on Honda TSB document, EXACTLY. So I call Honda and they pretty much tell me I'm SOL due to the extended warranty time period being past. They won't pay a DIME! I just made my second npayment on the car. I'm sorry but an admittedly faulty block should have no time limit on the warranty. Total BS. Thanks alot Honda

- , Milan, OH, USA

Mar 012016

Civic 1.8L 4-cyl Sohc (Mfi)

Another cracked engine block to add to the pile. Except now the ten year warranty is passed due by four months. Family owned the car since day one. Honda knows it is their fault but since it is passed due there is nothing they can do. It does not make sense to not have a mileage limit but a time limit.

With 92k miles on it they should still have to fix it. This IS a safety issue. Dealership gave me a quote upwards of $5,000 for something that they know is already faulty. Honda America and many reps I have spoken to on the phone say they can't so anything since it does not fit on the time window.

The first shop I went to called me one day after I took it to them with another civic with the same exact issue!!!

- , Portland, OR, USA

Feb 032016

Civic LX

Add another 2006 Civic to the cracked engine block list. Found out about the TSB on this website, made some calls, found out I was still within the 10-year window. BUT, my car was purchased in Canada, and I brought down to Texas with me for work. I registered it here because my Canadian insurance company wouldn't insure it, and this VOIDED THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. So even though Honda Canada will fix the car in Canada, and HONDA America will fix the car in the US, they won't fix a car that has crossed the border.

To me, the fact that I drove the vehicle across an arbitrary line in the sand doesn't make Honda any less responsible for a known defect. But of course, any clause in the extended warranty that they can use to get out of paying for a repair, they will use. So basically this car is now a lemon, the cost to repair the engine block is about what the vehicle is worth, and I am off to buy a Toyota!

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 042015

Civic EX 1.8L I4

I among many owners of the 2006 to early 2009 Civics that have had the cracked engine block issue. I was driving and all sudden I see white smoke from hood pop up. I pull over quickly although I was not overheating, pop the hood. White smoke from center engine block from what at first seem to be engine coolant gushing from out top engine or water pump.

As I look closer I notice , noooo it's coming from middle the front of the engine block. Realllyyyy? 84,000 miles in now 2015 and I bought this 2006 Civic with 41,887 miles in 2011 thinking be a nice reliable car but no it leads me broken down on side road luckily not raining or snowing or overheated and left me not needing to tow luckily, was able fill coolant and bring few miles home then to shop up block who confirmed cracked engine block oh to common in my year Civic. However Honda dealership has replaced the engine short block under a 10 extended warranty so least Honda has took care of there engine defect, as I read Honda has done with many with this problem.

I am told by a shop and Honda dealership the problem won't happen again with the engine block replacement because of upgraded engine block design from the 2006 to early 2009 defect block so hope all is true. I will continue to drive Honda possibly buy a different year Civic not in the engine crack years and suggest if anyone replaces engine at a shop you will get a used engine of same year prone to happen again so unless you go to Honda and get warranty or pay for upgraded short block around 5000 dollars or still warranty covered it will happen again.

If anyone knows any differently on the upgraded block from dealership is really a upgrade or just what say and the engine crack will form again give me heads up at dannyboy153@msn.com

- , North Massapequa, NY, USA

Oct 222015

Civic LX

Barely 20+ days out side of the warranty and my car stopped on a highway ( with white fumes coming out of the hood. Shocking part was this happened without any warning or over heat indication. I called the dealer and towed it. After a series of painful negotiations with American Honda and dealer (after their confidential reviews)

decided to reduce the repair costs. No I am getting it fixed for 3494.90$.

BTB diagnosis was engine crack/over heating/coolant leakage none of which showed on the monitor.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Sep 152015

Civic EX 1.8L

Recently our 2006 Honda Civic has had some mechanical issues. It has taken several months to figure out the exact nature of the problem. Much to our disappointment it has been diagnosed with having 2 cracks in the engine block. Upon further research on the internet I have found that there is a technical service bulletin 10-048. My husband and I did not receive this recall on either of our Civics, we own two 06 & 09. This recall for cracked engine blocks has been extended and is now up to 10 years, with no mileage exemptions. My husband telephoned the service department this morning. We were going to have the vehicle towed to Our dealership today. The woman answering the telephone told my husband that we are 21 days outside of the window and They would not authorize anything that They have to pay for out of pocket. “Sorry, call Honda corporate,” she said. Called corporate gave me a case number and told me No. At a loss as to what to do...

- , Westerly, RI, USA

Jun 282011

Civic LX 1.8L 140 Hp I4

This was my wife's car. We got it after the transmission in our '98 Accord failed. I was driving it home from work one day, when I hear a whining I have never before heard. I see that there are no warning lights to warn that something is wrong. I slow down a bit to try and hear the noise more clearly. The temperature gauge said the car was overheating. After a few minutes, the engine sputters, and I'm just cruising down the highway, losing speed rapidly. I almost hit a car in my rush to get to the side of the road! Once at the sideof the road, the car shuts down and smokes. I thought it was engine failure. I got it towed to the mechanic, and he said the engine block was cracked. In fact, he told me that mine was the second '06 Civic to come in with the same problem this month! We sold it at a salvage auto auction, and bought a 2011 Hyundai Elantra to replace it.

WHAT AN OUTRAGE, HONDA! THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE! YOU COULD HAVE KILLED ME AND OTHER PEOPLE

- , Hicksville, NY, US

Aug 172015

Civic LX

Car overheated and gave out on the highway, had it towed to my mechanic who told me the block was cracked and coolant was gone (engine ran so hot when he attempted to check the oil the dipstick had vaporized into nothing) and said I should call the dealer about the extended warranty. Dealer replaced the engine, I'll update as I find out more.

- , Schenectady, NY, USA

Aug 092015

Civic EX

As the single owner and driver of an 06 Honda Civic that I purchased new and paid for in full, I have full service for the vehicle as recommended at the dealer site where it is purchased. I had the vehicle serviced for lube/oil/& oil filter change on 7/27/2015 and they also perform the multipoint inspection. In just 12 days, engine overheating occurred while I was driving on I-95.

Upon my return home from work, I heard a humming I had never heard before. As I slowed down to listen closer to determine origin, I see that no engine lights. After few minutes, the temperature gauge indicated sever overheating, then the car sputters, rapidly losing power -I barely made it to the side of the road safely out of traffic on I-95 when the car shuts off and smokes. I had absolutely no warning or even a hint of a problem; no noises, no dash lights on, no issues with ignition, gears, or driving performance. I had to arrange the car tow to my dealer’s service department. After that, the dealer reports engine is completely burned, not drivable and not repairable. The oil strip burns half way. They don’t know what causes the engine overheated. This overheating problem is not due to the cracks that are included in the warranty extension. They don't cover the replacement cost. If we want to replace a engine, a used engine block is $5600.

I rely heavily on my one and only vehicle for transportation to commute 50 miles round trip to work full time. So I have reserved a rental car for a week to be able to go to work. My boss has been notified and my colleagues have also been notified to ensure coverage at my job in my absence.

It looks like I will need to rent a car for at least next two weeks because I am still negotiating with my dealer about this issue and if it is covered by any warranty. They are unable to answer me what cause the issue when the car just finished its service and everything including engine condition is great.

I could go on and on and on with the costs involved, time involved and the incredible inconvenience of this event….. not to mention the Safety issue while driving on the highway!!!

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Aug 232014

Civic EX

Honda paid for the repair completely but I've had one noise after another in the care ever since. I've had to replace THREE wheel bearings since. Hard to imagine that these are related, but the engine was fixed in only two days and came out of the service department with a noise it didn't have before. The dealership refused to take responsibility and claimed it was tire problems (NOT!) or a front wheel bearing. Even after I had one front wheel bearing fixed it still had a noise that gradually got worse over the intervening 5000 miles, until I had to have the two left wheel bearings replaced in June 2015. Three days out of the shop and now it's developing another new wheel-related noise.

I understand that for these things to be related there would need to be a serious underlying and connecting issue of some kind, but it's also hard to believe that there is no connection with this new, never-ending series of problems that has appeared since the cracked engine repair. Three wheel bearings at 100-105K miles? And another new noise that develops as soon as one is resolved? Hard to believe in coincidence or a simulataneous-but-unrelated issue at this point.

ALSO--I only learned about the extended warranty from a mechanic I consulted to repair the cracked engine block. There was nothing on the Honda website about this extended warranty, and I'd have been on the hook to pay for the repair myself without this happy coincidence.

I'm preparing to trade the car back to the same dealership for a newer Civic built in a year with many fewer problems, and let them deal with the problem.

- , South San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 082014

Civic LX

click to see larger images

cracked engine block

On August 2014 My car stopped on side of the road in another city (than my own). I had the car towed to a local auto repair shop. The auto repair shop removed and replaced the harmonic balancer/serpentine belt and water pump assembly. Parts and labor were $584.28. The auto repair shop told me that the harmonic balance/serpentine belt was recalled by Honda. I never received the recall paperwork.

September 7, 2014 my car was shaking. I lifted up the hood to check for leaking and check the oil (I knew the oil was fine but I thought I would look). The oil stick was burned in half (see uploaded picture). I checked the internet for this issue and read that it is the engine block. September 8, I had my car towed to Auto Park Honda at 2100 Autopark Boulevard Cary, NC 27511 (the address has changed the new address is 3630 old Raleigh Rd. Cary, NC 27511. I was reluctantly given a loaner car.

Please read the following email exchanges between the Auto Park Honda Representative and I.

On Monday, September 8, 2014 5:57 PM, David Mastrangelo david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com wrote: Dear Ms. Jones, Here is a list of the items that we recommend replacing along with the engine block. With these items along with the items that Honda will be replacing under warranty, you'll basically have a completely rebuilt engine. Items include the timing chain and timing chain tensioner, and camshaft guides. There is also a fee to send the cylinder head to a machine shop to make sure the cylinder head is not warped.

Timing Chain. part no. 14401-RNA-A01 $123.92 Timing Chain Tensioner. part no. 14510-RNA-A01 $38.24 Timing Chain Guide. part no. 14520-RNA-A01 $19.58 Timing Chain Guide Arm. part no. 14530-RNA-A01 $19.62

Machine Shop Charges $91.85

Labor $306.66

Total charges with tax and shop fees will be approximately $640.00. We won't know if there is any damage to the cylinder head until we send it to the machine shop to be tested. If there is further damage detected, further charges may be required. I hope this answers all of the questions you may have. If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know. Thank you for your time and your business. I look forward to speaking with you soon. David

My reply To: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Subject: Questions concerning the engine block damage and Cylinder Head Recommendations Hi David, Please explain how each of the recommended items - the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, timing chain guard, timing chain guard arm, camshaft guides, and cylinder head, were damaged or possibly damaged due to the engine block damage.

What are the possible consequences of only repairing the engine block? What is the cost of repairing the engine block minus the recommended items? Thanks.

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:02 PM, David Mastrangelo david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com wrote: Good morning . I'd be happy to explain these items. The timing chain and associated parts are recommended due to the extreme heat caused by the engine block failure. The timing chain can stretch from being exposed to engine overheating. If the timing chain is stretched it can cause the check engine light to illuminate, the engine could become very noisy due to the chain being loose. With the timing chain loose, it could even slip off of the internal engine gears it's designed to ride on, almost like a bicycle chain. If that were to happen, major engine damage will occur. The timing chain guides are designed to keep the timing chain in place as well, once again, with the extreme heat, they may not be able to keep the timing chain in place properly, which could cause major engine damage. We also recommended having the cylinder head sent a machine shop to verify the cylinder head is not warped. This is a precautionary measure to assure that you won't have any further issues upon reassembly and to also verify that no other components have been damaged. If we reinstall the cylinder head without checking it, we would not be able to warranty the repair if the head gasket began to leak. The engine block replacement is covered under a warranty extension through Honda. There would not be a charge to you for replacing only the block. We are recommending these other items, however, to prevent damage to your new engine block. I hope this helps your decision. If there is anything else I can help you with, please give me a call.

David Mastrangelo AutoPark Honda Service

My reply Sent: 9/10/2014 12:37:33 AM To: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Subject: Re: Questions concerning the engine block damage and Cylinder Head Recommendations David, Thanks for the information. To verify: the minimum charges are $640.00. What are the maximum charges?

From: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Date: September 10, 2014 at 7:45:28 AM EDT Subject: Re: Questions concerning the engine block damage and Cylinder Head Recommendations You're very welcome. I apologize for sending the email so many times, I was having issues with my computer and I wanted to make sure you received the information you had requested in a timely fashion. Unfortunatley, I won't know exactly what the maximum charges may be until we get everything apart and have the cylinder head sent out to be checked. If any additional repairs are necessary, we will let you know of the additional charges before performing any further work. David Mastrangelo AutoPark Honda Service

September 12,2014 David, I didn't notice in the below emails the fee for having the cylinder head checked. Please advise. Thanks

------------------------- I contacted Lisa at Honda Customer service My case number is 09-110008 -----------------------------

Sep 12,2014 Ms. Jones, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, I've been having trouble with my email. I spoke with my service manager who then spoke to our Honda representative. He stated that Honda would cover the cost of checking the cylinder head for damage. If you'd like to move forward with the repair, please give us a call at 919-467-4747. I will be out of the office until Monday morning. Thank you again and I hope you have a great weekend. David Mastrangelo AutoPark Honda Service

Sent: 9/15/2014 8:24:59 AM To: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Subject: Fwd: Questions concerning the engine block damage and Cylinder Head Recommendations David, To verify, I will not need to pay the cost to check and if damaged, repair the cylinder head?

From: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Date: September 15, 2014 at 10:14:23 AM EDT Subject: Re: Fwd: Questions concerning the engine block damage and Cylinder Head Recommendations

You would not be charged for checking the cylinder head, if the cylinder head is damaged, there may be addition charges.

On Oct 1, 2014, at 9:36 AM, "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com wrote: Dear Ms. Jones,

I appreciate you getting in contact with me. The loaner vehicle will reach it's time limit on October 8, 2014. Please let me know something as soon as you're able. Thank you for your time. I look forward to speaking with you soon. David Mastrangelo AutoPark Honda Service

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:52 PM, David Mastrangelo david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com wrote: Dear Ms. Jones, I hope you've been well, I haven't communicated with you in quite some time, and I just wanted to give you the latest information. We sent your engine's cylinder head to a machine shop to be tested at no cost to you. The machine shop has informed us that the cylinder head is cracked and must be replaced. I have spoken to my service manager on your behalf. He has been in contact with our Honda representative and they have authorized to split the cost of the cylinder head replacement. The total charge for all necessary repairs and replacement of the timing chain components would be about $1812.00. I am confident that if you decide to move forward with the repairs, that your vehicle could easily run for another 200k miles. You'll basically have a brand new engine. Please give me call at 919-654-7171 or reply to this email as soon as you're able to. I'd be happy to go over the repairs and answer any questions you may have. Thank you for your time and I hope you have a great day.

Sent: 10/1/2014 8:28:54 AM To: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Subject: Re: 2006 Civic update Good morning David, I am waiting to hear from the Honda corporate office before I proceed. You stated in your voicemail on September 30, 2014 that the use of the loan car is about to expire. What day will the use of the loaner car expire?

On Oct 9, 2014, at 2:22 PM, David Mastrangelo david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com wrote: Dear Ms. Jones, I spoke with my service manager as soon as I got off of the phone with you last night. He spoke to our Honda representative today and they are willing to split not only the cost of the cylinder head replacement, but also the timing chain components. Our previous estimate of $1812.00 would now cost you $1492.00. Please email me back as soon as you are able to. We also need you to return to the dealership to update the registration for the loaner vehicle as it is set to expire. Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you. I do also want to let you know that we have moved to our new location. We are just next door at 3930 Old Raleigh Rd. David Mastrangelo AutoPark Honda Service

My reply Sent: 10/9/2014 8:32:44 PM To: "David Mastrangelo" david.mastrangelo@autoparkhonda.com Subject: Re: 2006 Civic update Hi David, Lisa, Honda representative, told me that she spoke with your service manager. He extended the date of the loaner. Thank you for the updated address for Honda.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Honda Warranty extension states, "During the repair or replacement of the engine block, your dealer may recommend replacing other parts that are worn or have exceeded the normal service interval. These will not be covered by the warranty."

I have spoken to Lisa and her supervisor Christina, at the Honda corporate office. Both ladies have stated that extreme damage from the engine block damaged the "recommended items." The email from David also stated that "the timing chain and associated parts are recommended due to extreme caused by engine block failure." The warranty extension states " your dealer may recommend replacing parts that are worn or have exceeded the normal service interval." The parts recommended are damaged due to extreme heat from engine block failure. The recommended parts were not worn or exceeded the normal service interval. I should not have to pay for items that were damaged by the engine block due to extreme heat. Also, the warranty does not mention mileage limits.

When did the consumer start paying for parts that were damaged by the manufacturer's failed part?

- , MOrrisville, NC, USA