9.1

$2,786.00

1. get new engine (51 reports)
  3. replace short block (27 reports)
  4. replaced engine (17 reports)
  5. honda paid for full repair (12 reports)
  6. get a new car (8 reports)
2006 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Aug 112017

Civic EX 1.8L

Add my civic to the list of those with a cracked block, I just bought it and only had been driving it for 2 weeks. I called Honda and they said the warranty on the problem expired in 2015, my luck. I guess this problem is common in the 2006 to 2009 Honda civic's so do not buy one. Not worth taking a chance on a used engine and a new one is $4000.00.

- , Topeka, US

Jun 232017

Civic LX 2.0L

Head cracked at 72,000 miles, left me stranded 2 hours from home in the middle of nowhere, had to pay $1100 to have car towed to Larry H Miller Honda in Spokane where they sat on the car for two weeks before they would tell me how much it would cost to get fixed. They told me Honda would cover half of the repair cost because it was a year out of extended warranty but, my portion was going to be over $5000.00! It needs a new block and head and some other parts.

The dealer refused to give me a written estimate and would only communicate via phone calls, no emails. I finally threw a fit and they sent me a hand written estimate with a disclaimer basically saying the estimate is not accurate. The service person at the dealership would not give me contact info for anyone at Honda USA, including the regional rep he was allegedly talking to.... I will never buy a Honda again nor would I promote the local dealership.

- , Spokane, US

Jun 282017

Civic EX

I have a 2006 Honda Civic, it developed a cracked engine at 100K+ miles and coolant leaked. Thankfully, we were able to pull over safely, but had to have the car towed.

This is a known issue with Honda Civic with a weak point in their new aluminum engine with a warranty issued number 10-048. However, I never received my notice they claimed to have sent.

Initially the warranty was issued for 8 years and then increased to 10 years. How ever my Honda is 11 years old and Honda refuses to do anything. Shame on Honda for knowingly providing a defective product and not fixing it.

- , Chicago, US

Apr 032017

Civic LX 1.8L

Didn't receive my recall letter, and I had to come to this website and make deeper research to find out that I was out of warranty and I had to pay for a new engine block. The problem was fixed however, I had to take out unexpected funds for Honda's poor communication. I have been with this company for as long as I can remember, both of my vehicles where hondas. Now is time to change to a new company.

- , Stockton, CA, US

Apr 202017

Civic LX

I have a 2006 Honda Civic, it developed a cracked engine at 110K miles and coolant leaked. Its a known issue with Honda Civic with a weak point in their new aluminum engine with a warranty issued number 10-048. Initially the warranty was issued for 8 years and then increased to 10 years. How ever my Honda is 11 years old and in spite of low mileage Honda refuses to do anything. Shame on Honda for providing a defective product and not fixing it.

- , Shawnee Mission, KS, US

May 092017

Civic

We bought this 2006 Honda Civic from AutoFair Honda, Manchester, New Hampshire in Oct. 2015. At that time, Honda already was aware that there was a problem w/ the engine block on this car and leaked coolant. Nevertheless, they sold us the vehicle w/ a two-year warranty. Yesterday, May 9 2016, the engine block problem arose and left us stranded -- technically, we are no longer under warranty but shouldn't have the Honda dealership dealt with this before selling it?.. We are a married couple, seniors who live in subsidized housing in a rural area of New England. We have no idea how we're going to deal with this.

- , Warner, US

May 012017

Civic EX Cope 1.8L

Pulled my 2006 Honda Civic EX Coupe out last weekend (after being stored for the winter) and my thermostat started reading very hot while I was driving. Pulled the car over and noticed smoking from under the hood (barley had coolant in). Took the car to my repair man and he told me I'm leaking coolant from my engine block (cracked block). Took the car to the Honda dealership and was just notified that American Honda is refusing to help me with the issue because I am passed the 10 year extended warranty. I told the dealer I bought the car in 09 and the recall was issued in 07-08 and asked why they never fixed the engine before selling me the car? He told me that there wasn't an "issue with my car at the time of sale" so they didn't change the block. I am infuriated and will be calling American Honda on Monday. Though, after reading all of these reviews I have little hope that they will help me as they seem to not want to step up and taking care of other Honda customers.

- , Cudahy, US

Mar 272017

Civic DX-G 1.8L

I can't believe how many people have had the same problem as me. I have had my civic for more than 11 yrs with no issue ever. Three weeks ago on my way to work the engine overheats. I stop the car and get it towed to my mechanic. He calls me later to say I have a cracked block and the engine is now useless and needs to be replaced. I did receive a letter from Honda Canada stating that they know there is a problem with the engine blocks and are extending the warranty to 10 yrs with unlimited mileage. After calling their " customer service" number I had to wait two weeks for them to get back to me. And of course it's the old company line of " sorry sir but your warranty has expired so we cannot help you".It infuriates me and utterly blows my mind that they take no responsibility for selling me a car with an engine that they knew was faulty but did nothing about. Where was the recall??? I bought the car brand new believing I was getting Honda quality and reliability. I did everything to maintain and look after my car. Nothing I did caused the engine block to crack and there was nothing I could do to prevent it because it was faulty from the day it was made. The only question was when the engine block would decide to crack. It should not matter when the engine fails because the reason it fails is the same in every case and that is because it was manufactured with a flaw. How is that now my fault just because it did not occur within Honda self imposed time limit. I work in the automotive industry and everyone I talk to can't believe that Honda would not step up and deal with a known problem regardless of time. Honda Canada's customer service has not been interested at all to hear any of my concerns but they stick to their script of sorry but your warranty has expired. That is the biggest pile of bs in the world and I can't believe they would treat their paying customer so poorly. How can you turn your back on a faulty engine block because my car is now literally worthless with a broken engine that is 100% Hondas fault. Never ever will I drive another Honda. I am done with them.

- , Delta, BC, Canada

Jun 022016

Civic 1.8L

Well... im sure im going to make some people upset with their honda dealers on this one.. On our way to ottawa in 2009 the engine block cracked like most civics did at 90,000km. we pulled over at a mechanic on the side of the road who somehow had a honda engine in stock, he replaced it for about 125$ for extra things he changed out during the service. (and we bought him donuts + coffee)

I think 2006 was their first year producing aluminium blocks and they had made a weak spot in the design causing the crack, in 2010 they started to produce the "upgraded engines" (why the wait I dont know) so I had received another lemon engine in 2009

My new engine block had cracked again in october of 2015 when someone at work pointed to a pile of coolant under my car. At the time I was working & going to school so money wasn't very flexible and I had decided to just keep driving it instead of buying a new car, somehow I managed to drive the car from october 2015-June 2016 (canadian winter season) with the cracked block. (mostly highway driving so very little idling). With the cracked block i put upwards of 30,000km on the car because I was going roughly 40km each way for school everyday 5 or 6 times a week. I even took the car from New brunswick to Ontario and back, im a ballsy 20 year old because its 1100km each way =D. My theory was the crack in the block and the cooler ambient temperature was releasing the pressure that would normally cause the "explosion" in your engine. Along with this the radiator was in an impact collision in 2013 and the AC condenser was pushed into the radiator hard enough to stop the coolant from leaking.

I had called my honda dealer once the car started overheating around june of 2016 (warmer temperatures outside) to just ask about the TSB i had found online, my inital words to the manager were "im contacting you about TSB-1028 (i think its 1028)" to let him know I understood it was a lemon, they completely replaced the block at my dealership free of charge in 2016 at 297,000kms. I had dropped the car off on Monday night and by Wednesday afternoon the engine was already in the car. the car now has 308,000 with no signs of slowing down. I had even asked him before going in if there was a service fee just to figure out if its the block and there was nothing. My car was purchased brand new by my parents in july of 2006 and I was in the 10 year warranty by 2 months, so 2 months longer and it would have costed me about 4800$

The same dealership also tried to quote us 1600 to replace brakes, rotors and pads, we had an independent mechanic do the work and when he took everything off the brakes were at 40% and the rotors were fine so.. be wary of dealing with your dealership, but nothing to say but nice things about this experience.. makes me want to buy another honda (if it doesnt need 3 engines...) All in all the complaint still sticks to my second engine blowing up but I felt the backstory to this little car is great and worth sharing (so if your engine is not covered dont drive in in the summer, wait until the winter and it might be an okay winter car saving a nicer set of wheels from rusting)

- , saint john, NB, Canada

Mar 162017

Civic

I have had my Honda Civic for over 11 years. I bought it with only 1 mile on it and it now has 212,750 miles. I have maintained my vehicle, making sure to do all recommended services when needed. I have NEVER had any major issues with my Honda. I always took it in for any recalls or manufacturer extended warranties that I had knowledge of. In fact, I had just made an appointment to have the airbag replaced that was on recall.

The end of last week my car started overheating. This has never ever happened in the 11 years I've owned the car. I immediately took it to my mechanic who told me that I had a cracked block and the coolant was leaking through the cracks. He advised me to take the car to the dealership immediately because he knew there was an extended warranty for that very issue. When I took it to the dealership, they advised me that the warranty was only good for 10 years from date of purchase. I contacted Honda customer service, who acknowledged there was a warranty but I have exceeded the coverage time of 10 years. I argued that if they knew it was an existing problem, there should be no "expiration" date.

I have always bragged about how good a car my Honda was. I grew up being told that you couldn't go wrong with a Honda and it would last longer than I wanted it to. Even when I heard negative things about Honda, things like the service and quality of the vehicles aren't as good as they used to be, I would still stand up for Honda. I was even looking at buying a new Honda next year. Now, I'm not so sure I want to stay with Honda.

Honda has no problem promoting new business with the "Helpful Honda" campaign. But they don't want to take care of their loyal customers who have driven their vehicles and stood by the company name for many years. I am extremely disappointed!

- , Anaheim, US

Jan 202017

Civic LX 1.8L 4

I bought a used, one owner 2006 Honda Civic with 96K last year for my daughter thinking it would be reliable car for her. While driving it myself I noticed steam coming from under the hood. I thought it would be minor, just a leaking hose and drove it to my mechanic. He later informed me that it was leaking coolant from a cracked engine block. He found that there was a Honda service bulletin and a manufacturers defect and that Honda extended the warranty not once but twice to a total of 10 years. Unfortunately the car is six months past the extended warranty cutoff and Honda refuses to do anything. I also have an 09 Honda Civic for my other daughter and can't get a straight answer if her car is prone to the same issue. The Honda service agent at the dealership mentioned several other Civics they've seen in recent weeks with the same issue. American Honda has been no help and I waisted five days waiting for my case to be reviewed only to hear again that they won't help with the repairs. This is a huge issue and Honda needs to step up and recall all of these cars. I will never buy another Honda and neither will my children. Think about that and multiply it by all the people affected. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 162016

Civic

My daughter purchased this car in Dec 2013 from a car dealership. She has only had this car 3 years with almost a year only driven once a week as she was away for the military. Today she was on her way to work and the car overheated. Determination was the engine block was cracked. She was also advised that there was an extended 10 year warranty as Honda knew about the issue on Honda Civics from 2006 to 2009.

Called Honda today and they stated that the car was purchased new in May 2006 so the extended warranty expired in May 2016. We advised had we known about this issue when we purchased it used we would not have purchased it. We were never notified that this was an issue. Janey at Honda advised that we would not have been notified as it was just an extended warranty and not a recall.

Seriously, they know it is an issue but are doing nothing to fix it. Now my daughter, who is in the military, serving our country is stuck without a vehicle and still owes money on the car to pay off her loan. What now! We have to wait a week for them to review to see if they will do anything for her at all. In the meantime, she will need to pay for a car rental out of her own pocket. WOW!!!!

To top it off, when my daughter called before I called them back, she had spoke to a manager named Warren who hung up on her. How professional is that!

Update from Jan 3, 2017: My daughter ended up trading her car in for another car as Honda Civic refused to help her. The warranty was only extended for the original date of purchase which the original owner purchased in May 2006. My daughter bought the car from a dealership in Dec 2013. The extended warranty expired in May 2006 but we were never made aware of the issue nor did we receive a letter from Honda in 2014 when they extended the warranty. Now my daughter, who only owed $2300 on the car now has a $13,000 car loan because of having to buy another car. The car dealership would only give her $1500 for her Honda Civic which is very understandable so now she had to carry over the remaining to her new car loan.

- , Watsontown, PA, USA

Dec 092016

Civic LX

Honda has a known issue with 2006, 2007, 2008 and some 2009 Civics where the engine block cracks. They had previously issued a TSB and extended the warranty for 10 years from date of purchase. We have a 2006 Civic purchased in 11/2005 that had a cracked engine block last week. The car only has 62000 miles with a single owner/driver. Given Honda's reputation for cars which last many miles we asked Honda to extend the warranty to cover this vehicle and they denied the request. Repair cost is $4000 on a vehicle with a blue book value of $4500. Tried calling Honda Customer Service and that was a disaster, took 3 phone calls before they would accept the question; only had a response to the question after I some public tweets. Noticed several complaints about the same issue on this website. No one seems to be getting any satisfaction on this issue.

- , Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Oct 072016

Civic EX 102,000

As indicated by this webpage the average milage before a cracked engine block is about 88.5k miles. If a person were to drive about 8k miles a year they would hit this in about 11 years. 1 year after their extended warrenty expired. This is a manufacturing issue as acknowledge by Honda in a letter. I bought this car in the past because of positive reviews online but of course it would take time to hit the 100k mark of an engine.

I am hugely hugely dissapointed that they Honda is tarnishing their name by not doing something with this known defect.

- , Pittsburg, CA, USA

Aug 212016

Civic LX

I thought it was amazing that this,well taken care of, car over heated a month and a half after the extended warranty ended. The company knew that there was a problem with this weld on the block. I bought this vehicle because it was rated as reliable.

- , Slidell, LA, USA

Nov 042016

Civic LX 1.8L

Driving to work 3 miles when the car starts smoking out of the hood just as I arrived. Opened hood to see coolant running down the middle of the engine behind and slightly to the right of the header pipe. Upon closer inspection and after the smoke had cleared I see a crack about 3 inches in length running parallel to the engine with coolant still leaking out. Towed the car home.

Researched the problem to find out that it is very common on these models and also found out for the first time about the extended warranty because Honda till this day has never sent me any recall or TSB letters. I call Honda and get the usual runaround and a sorry your car is out of the extended warranty period :) How convenient for Honda! My next steps- Consumer Affairs complaint, BBB complaint, and civil suit in progress. This is a known problem with an apparent manufacturers defect in the blocks of these engines and I will not accept a sorry you're screwed from Honda and neither should any of you that are affected.

I urge all of you to make the same complaints to Consumer Affairs and the BBB, along with a civil suit, in efforts of getting a Class Action Settlement just like the folks did from Toyota for the rusted out trucks. We can do this!

- , Garfield, NJ, USA

Mar 272016

Civic 1.8L

Purchases the car used from a reputable Honda dealership in 12/2015. All maintenance performed regularly per car history. On the night on 3/27/16 I saw a puddle of coolant under the right side of the car. After an hour of searching I found a hairline crack in the block just behind and below the alternator. As there were no check engine lights nor were there any over overheating issues prior to this leak. I searched the issue online and sure enough, TSB 08-044 popped up and I saw this was a common occurrence with this model year. Then crack in my block was in the identical spot as shown on Honda TSB document, EXACTLY. So I call Honda and they pretty much tell me I'm SOL due to the extended warranty time period being past. They won't pay a DIME! I just made my second npayment on the car. I'm sorry but an admittedly faulty block should have no time limit on the warranty. Total BS. Thanks alot Honda

- , Milan, OH, USA

Mar 012016

Civic 1.8L 4-cyl Sohc (Mfi)

Another cracked engine block to add to the pile. Except now the ten year warranty is passed due by four months. Family owned the car since day one. Honda knows it is their fault but since it is passed due there is nothing they can do. It does not make sense to not have a mileage limit but a time limit.

With 92k miles on it they should still have to fix it. This IS a safety issue. Dealership gave me a quote upwards of $5,000 for something that they know is already faulty. Honda America and many reps I have spoken to on the phone say they can't so anything since it does not fit on the time window.

The first shop I went to called me one day after I took it to them with another civic with the same exact issue!!!

- , Portland, OR, USA

Feb 032016

Civic LX

Add another 2006 Civic to the cracked engine block list. Found out about the TSB on this website, made some calls, found out I was still within the 10-year window. BUT, my car was purchased in Canada, and I brought down to Texas with me for work. I registered it here because my Canadian insurance company wouldn't insure it, and this VOIDED THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. So even though Honda Canada will fix the car in Canada, and HONDA America will fix the car in the US, they won't fix a car that has crossed the border.

To me, the fact that I drove the vehicle across an arbitrary line in the sand doesn't make Honda any less responsible for a known defect. But of course, any clause in the extended warranty that they can use to get out of paying for a repair, they will use. So basically this car is now a lemon, the cost to repair the engine block is about what the vehicle is worth, and I am off to buy a Toyota!

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 042015

Civic EX 1.8L I4

I among many owners of the 2006 to early 2009 Civics that have had the cracked engine block issue. I was driving and all sudden I see white smoke from hood pop up. I pull over quickly although I was not overheating, pop the hood. White smoke from center engine block from what at first seem to be engine coolant gushing from out top engine or water pump.

As I look closer I notice , noooo it's coming from middle the front of the engine block. Realllyyyy? 84,000 miles in now 2015 and I bought this 2006 Civic with 41,887 miles in 2011 thinking be a nice reliable car but no it leads me broken down on side road luckily not raining or snowing or overheated and left me not needing to tow luckily, was able fill coolant and bring few miles home then to shop up block who confirmed cracked engine block oh to common in my year Civic. However Honda dealership has replaced the engine short block under a 10 extended warranty so least Honda has took care of there engine defect, as I read Honda has done with many with this problem.

I am told by a shop and Honda dealership the problem won't happen again with the engine block replacement because of upgraded engine block design from the 2006 to early 2009 defect block so hope all is true. I will continue to drive Honda possibly buy a different year Civic not in the engine crack years and suggest if anyone replaces engine at a shop you will get a used engine of same year prone to happen again so unless you go to Honda and get warranty or pay for upgraded short block around 5000 dollars or still warranty covered it will happen again.

If anyone knows any differently on the upgraded block from dealership is really a upgrade or just what say and the engine crack will form again give me heads up at dannyboy153@msn.com

- , North Massapequa, NY, USA