2006 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Mar 012013

Civic 4-cyl

I've had several issues in the past with this car but the current one that completely scared and frustrated me is my engine went out of no where and I almost got stuck in the middle of an intersection as my car slowly stopped having power. Luckily I made it across the way to my apartment complex but upon further research there have been an abundance of complaints of consumers with my same car 2006 or 2007 with less or more miles and have had the same problem. What if someone gets stuck on a busy highway or a busier intersection then I did and doesn't make it across. Someone could get killed or seriously hurt that way. I urge you please to encourage Honda to file a recall. Yes they will lose money but is it better to risk the lives of others at that save a couple dollars. I have gotten no where with Honda. I feel I should be compensated in some manner along with everyone else who has to deal with this issue on a fairly new product. They are so dismissive and unhelpful... please help!!!!

- South River, NJ, USA

Dec 282012

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic advised that the bolt that sustained the tensioner and pulley for the serpentine belt was fractured and would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the engine block would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Feb 152013

Civic 4-cyl

The drive belt auto-tensioner pivot bolt broke while the car was travelling. The driver noticed a loud mechanical sound and later discovered the drive belt auto-tensioner pivot bolt was not attached to the engine block. The driver was lucky the belt did not break, the water pump pulley did not break from the friction, or the bolt fly into the engine. In either case we discovered this is a common occurrence in the 2006 Civic model and had a tsb 09-007, starting January 30, 2009, until January 30, 2012. We had to tow the vehicle to the Honda dealership, where we were told we had to cover all costs, even though this was a manufacturing defect on part of this model car. What is worse, many times the bolt will break again. I am afraid of this happening and a possibility of losing control over the car should this happen again. All I ask is Honda reopen this tsb on a continuous basis to fix their defective models and possible reimbursement for fixing the flaw.

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Jan 102013

Civic 4-cyl

At around 35mph the vehicle suddenly started to make a metallic-type noise and the vehicle shut down immediately. If it would've happened 5 seconds later it would've occurred right as I was about to make a left turn, it would've most likely caused a severe accident and possibly a fatality. When I took the car to where the vehicle was purchased from they told me a bolt was torn lose from the tensioner. This caused all belts to break down and the engine to shutdown while running at around 35mphs. Furthermore, the bolt flew into the engine block costing costly repairs. The company, Honda refused to pay for the damage caused by this defect and told me to take it with my extended warrant provider. They claim it's wear and tear but that is not the case as previous recalls for the same problem were issued for my vehicle but according to them not my particular VIN. Bolts shouldnt tear off at 29,000 miles or six years.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 082012

Civic 4-cyl

I was driving the car down a 2 lane road and the engine started making a noise again. This is the 4th time this same problem has happened within one year. I took my foot off the accelerator to turn left into a gas station and the engine went dead and power steering was lost. Could not re-start the engine and had to have it towed to a dealership. Invoice says serpentine belt tensioner pivot bolt is broken which caused belt damage, waterpump pulley damage, tensioner damage, etc. Due to the damage, one helicoil was not enough to maintain the proper torque so they had to use a second one inside the first one. Note on this invoice says "if problem recurs engine block replacement will be necessary." Honda sent out a tsb about this on January 30, 2009 #09-007 that says "the current routing of the engine drive belt creates extra force on the drive belt auto-tensioner. In rare cases, this extra force could break the auto-tensioner pivot bolt, causing an engine noise or a loss of power steering." I did not receive a card in the mail saying that my car was being recalled for repair of this problem, but I feel like this time there could have been serious injury when my car went dead while I was turning left across oncoming traffic.

Nov 072012

Civic 4-cyl

Car was being backed out of driveway when it started making a noise in the front right side. Car was taken to be repaired and they found the tensioner bolt had bent again. This was the third time this car had the same problem.

May 092012

Civic 4-cyl

Car was being driven down a 4 lane road when it started making a noise on the front right side. I was able to drive it to a repair shop where they found that the tensioner bolt had bent. This was the second time this happened within 6 months.

Dec 082011

Civic 4-cyl

Car was being driven through parking lot, hit a bump, and the tensioner bolt sheared off causing a loud noise and making the car undrivable.

Dec 172012

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While driving approximately 30 mph, the engine warning indicator illuminated continuously until the vehicle was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the engine was cracked. The vehicle was not repaired. There was a technical service bulletin associated with NHTSA action number 10030876 (engine and engine cooling:engine). The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Madison Heights , MI, USA

Sep 042012

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that smoked started to emit from the engine compartment due to coolant leak. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnose that the engine block cracked due to defective material. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 65,000.

- New Orleans , LA, USA

Aug 272012

Civic 4-cyl

Traveling around town for work when I noticed my engine temp was extremely high. Pulled off roadway in safe location. After refilling coolant, took vehicle to mechanic. Upon testing, two cracks have been found in the engine block. Car has been properly maintained by Honda certified mechanics for life of the vehicle and never experienced any other issues.

- Powell, TN, USA

May 232012

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic LX. The contact was driving 63 mph when the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed and taken to a private mechanic. The mechanic confirmed that the engine needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 93,872.

- Elkgrove, CA, USA

May 132012

Civic 4WD 4-cyl

Sunday on my way back home I smelled coolant, I stop immediately and checked it out to find a puddle under the car. Coolant was leaking. I called for tow truck and tow car to auto shop. The next day I found that the engine block was cracked and this why coolant leaks.... many people had the same casting problem with these engine blocks.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA