2006 Honda Civic miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012016

I received a letter in July 2016 (official date May 23, 2016) detailing an important safety recall on my 2006 Honda Civic. The problem is that "the propellant wafers in some of the subject inflators may degrade over time, which could lead to over-aggressive combustion in the event the airbag is activated." The letter goes on to explain that this could cause metal fragments to pass through the airbag cushion and harm the vehicle occupant. The only option given in the letter is to avoid having a passenger sit in the front passenger's seat until the recall repair has been performed. According to the letter, the parts were supposed to be available by now. I am concerned for my safety and other people's safety as they ride in my car. ** much time has passed, and I expect immediate repair free of charge.***

- Easton, PA, USA

Sep 012013

• 5,000,000 miles
The paint is disappearing from the roof and the sides of my back windows. Honda will do nothing since their paint recall is over. I received other recalls in the mail. Never a paint one. I am not sure exactly when the paint problem began. Probably around 2012-2014.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 012015

There has been 2 recalls since this vehicle has been on recall list for many problems there are a total of 10 recalls on this VIN which qualifies this car for a buyback. The vehicle has had problems with air bag frontal, fuel sysystem, vehicle speed excelarator and also to include frame damage. Car was purchased at an auction please see attachments that are included. I have been trying to get detailed information regarding this. The car has been reported to insurance company as frame damage and it was not registered under that vehicle has a weird noise crackling sound like it's the axel. Also the tires have been repalced 3 times all away around. Ignition and sarter has been replaced once. Please see that the car has been in a total of 5 accidents with 4 being reported and one not from the frame dmage. Please help me dealer is unknown and not in business anymore. Ihave been getting the run-around for this vehicle and need guidance

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jul 282016

The sun visor is falling apart because the metal spring inside has broken the plastic within the visor. The visor will not stay up and it is distracting to the driver. I could feel a difference in the motion of the visor over the past couple of weeks and it finally broke yesterday. This is the passenger visor (the driver's visor was replaced a couple of years ago for the same problem) and is primarily used to hold a sun shade in place when it is parked. Everything within my car is treated very gently so that my ten year-old car looks almost brand new.

- Wilmington, CA, USA

Jul 012016

While driving car a burning smell checked coolant & was empty refilled & parked car, next day went to dealer, said cracked head gasket kept overnight then said coolant evaporated said burning came from plastic back on exhaust I saw the tech when he was working on my car & he said had cracked head gasket, they would not give me copy of detailed work order just my receipt for charges, I don't know what to do now?

- Shoreline, WA, USA

May 022016

I have a 2006 Honda Civic LX with only 53,000 miles on it lately it has benn one repair after othet I had the tranmission done it would not go into reverse gear net it started to leak oil for the engine the seal was replaced next it leaked from another part of the engine I have a bill repairs in writing also the motor mount was cracked, and another seal had to be replaced I have invoice of payment for all this work starting from Nov of 2015 to present just picked my car up today for the leaks and a starter had to be put on car was dragging and not starting 5/7/2016 I also took my car to the dealer ship for over heating and was told they couldn't fine anything I was not pleased my car is under warranty for this problem but they did nothing about it but charged me $114 to look at it this was unfair and shouldn't benn done as a good will check but I was treated like I had to bring my car there. The customer service rep. Was upset because my car had not been seen there for a while I can take my car were I want to take it but he was ruled by what he said to me. I take good care of my car, but there are too many problems with this Civic my 1989 Civic didn't have problems like this I feel I should get help with some of the money I have already paid out for the repairs my car is falling apart month by month and I need answers Honda need to stand by their product.

- Carson, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Driver and passenger sun visors come apart at the hard-plastic seams and fail to retract back into the headliner once they are engaged, leaving them blocking driver's view at all times. They cannot be adjusted to any gradual positioning. They simply hang straight down. Honda admitted the problem and has said they only warranted replacement for 7 years. When car was in warranty, dealer promised Honda would replace as long as the car had the original owner. This is a simple engineering fix that Honda will not address. It is now a safety issue as I cannot get replacements (visors last, on average 15-18 months and must be replaced constantly) and the visors now hang, obstructing my outward view to the side and through the windshield.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Apr 272016

2006 Honda Civic with R18A1 (for model year 2006-2010) engine block has known coolant leakage due to crack at the coolant jacket. Reason was thin wall design at the coolant jacket wall. The crack will mostly appear average 88K miles. Please have Honda make this an open recall on all vehicles equipped with is engine

- Baldwin Park, CA, USA

Jan 012010

My paint on my car was coming off. Honda was supposed to repaint it. They had used some new environmentally friendly paint on their cars and many cars were having problems with it. Honda, costa mesa took photos of my car and supposedly booked me down for a date to bring my car for a few months later before I was supposed to get married. That was done because I needed my car for transportation at that time and if they repainted it, they would have to keep my car for a few days to weeks so they "scheduled" it for a time I wouldn't need my car. I bring my car in before my wedding and Honda said they no longer repaint the cars. I have the info of the person who had taken the photos but he was no longer working. I called them to make sure I was still "scheduled" and I even spoke to the new person who was transitioning into the position while the current person was still there and they both assured me that I was still scheduled for my repaint. I can't believe such a large company acts like this. They did not produce quality and don't fix their mistakes. This shows them to be so dishonest and dishonorable. I used to be loyal to Honda and I'm so disgusted by them now. I definitely do not recommend a Honda to anyone anymore and steer people away from such a horrible company.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Oct 212014

Having same issue it seems is widely common from my research where the right motor mount fails and needs to be replaced due to excessive knocking of the motor. We've noticed it for a while now, but it's just getting worse and worse at low idle to low speed, but once RPM is over 1K it is fine and straightens out.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Sep 152015

While exiting the parking lot, I adjusted the sun visor and it broke, hitting me on the forehead while obscuring my view. I had received a notice of a class action lawsuit concerning this issue. I called my dealership and they said there wasn't a recall on this part but, yes, there was a class action lawsuit that expired in 2013. She then advised me to call Honda directly. Honda's response was that "we satisfied the court order"and that my visor would not have been replaced back in 2013 as it was not broken. After researching this on the internet, I see that this tends to be a recurring issue, even after the visors are replaced. I was fortunate that this did not happen while I was traveling on the highway and a higher rate of speed.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Aug 272015

Pulling in to park vehicle, car suddenly accelerated and car wouldn't stop. Car went over embankment and through a fence before coming to a stop. Insurance company just totaled the car. Unknown whether accelerator and brakes were failing. Car was in good mechanical condition prior to accident and was serviced in last 90 days. Suspect accelerator malfunction sending vehicle into out-of-control situation. Car had no known recall issues.

- Coulmbus, OH, USA

Feb 182015

Hole in the condenser caused by small pebble puncturing it. There is little protection in the grill of the car which easily allows such road debris to damage the condenser. This is a flaw in the design on the car that should be fixed or at least put under warranty.

- Lansing, KS, USA

Dec 192011

Vehicle clear coat has come off leaving vehicle looking rusted on roof, trunk, doors, and hood.

- Dinuba, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Defective short rear upper control arms on Honda Civic 2006 four door

- Page, AZ, USA

Jun 112015

A female ran a red light speeding at 55 mph in a 30 mph zone ripping off my entire bumper putting a dent on the top of my hood on the driver side and my airbag never came out! before I seen on the news about the recalls, my airbag warning signals always come on and stay on for long periods of time before they go off and this had happen several times!

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 072015

There is a malfunction in the air bag sensor that the dealership told me could cause the airbags to deploy at anytime or even not go off during an accident. But apparently the repair is not covered.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 112014

Civic 4-cyl

I had a car accident on the huntingdon side of pine groves mountain on pa 26 South. I drove a Honda Civic 06 LX. When I was going down the mountain, I applied the brake normally to slow down before a curve when the speed was at 60 mph, but my car was drifting, not like hydroplaning at all. There was no water to cause that but it rained five to six hours before the accident. During the whole course of incident, the steering wheel was not responsive. When it started to drift, it skidded towards the incoming lane. I tried to correct the steering wheel slightly, it took much more force to operate the steering wheel and the direction was not corrected, so I adjusted it more. Then the head suddenly turned 60 to 80 degrees and hit the guardrail and then the car turned more than 180 degrees clockwise; then the tail hit a stop-sign pole and the car stopped in the mud. Since the car was still drivable, I did not call the police to check the scene. I think it was caused by Honda's design defects since I had Goodyear four-season tires with more than enough grids, so I want to hire an investigator to investigate my case and ask Honda to buy the car back. But none of the law firms I contacted could help me. During the whole course, there was no car coming in both directions. Two cars passed me by when I was pulling my car out of mud but none of them stopped, so I guess there was no witness. The first time when I applied the brake again after the incident, I felt the brake was flimsy, so I drove much slower later, at around 40 mph. I am not sure if the brake could handle that wet road again, but most of time at most places the brake does not fail, so I assume I experienced a case, on wet road with downhill gravity, that the car is incapable of handling.

- Huntingdon, PA, USA

Sep 292013

Civic 4-cyl

The sun visor on my 2006 Honda Civic si trim fell off while parked. It has nearly fallen off while driving. It is totally nonadjustable while driving because it will fall off. Honda did not inform me about a class action settlement involving an extension of warrant to 100K/7 years. My mileage is now outside of their extended warranty period. This is a continuing issue with all Honda Civics in this generation and Honda has refused to redesign the part to prevent future failures.

- Manhattan, KS, USA

Jul 092012

My 2006 Honda Civic has stalled on me 7 times now. Every time it stalls, I am at a stoplight or stop sign and at a complete stop. The engine goes into idle mode and when the light changes or I can go, I take my foot off the brake and try or start to press the gas. Most of the time I don't even have the opportunity to press the gas pedal before the car stalls. The car completely shuts off. I have noticed the last two times that the car's ac was on during the stalls. Before I restart the car there isn't an error code or anything displayed. I have taken my car to a Honda dealership to have it tested and each time they connect it to a computer and tell me that there isn't anything wrong or they can't produce the problem. There isn't a fuel problem because I put shell gas in my car each and every time and I checked the air filter. I even had a technician at pepboys check the battery. Pepboys said the battery was in excellent condition. I have researched the problem and others on the internet say that it could be the computer's idle speed may need to be readjusted and some say the idle air control valve is faulty. I mentioned the idle air control valve to the Honda technician and they said that doesn't seem to be a problem. There is a problem because others have reported it and the car stalls.

- El Cajon, CA, USA