2006 Honda Civic steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 052015

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that upon changing gears, the vehicle was shaking violently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who stated that the motor mounts and the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Mar 102015

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, an abnormal noise emitted from the vehicle and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the pivot bolt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Avenel , NJ, USA

May 082012

This Civic has a defect on rear control arms causing tires to wear uneven and rapidly and making a horrible noise coming from the back this is unsafe issue I replace the rear shock absorbers, the whell hubs and ofcourse the tires and the problem still there until control arm be replaced for an adjustable one for proper aligment, ,, Honda motor company is not paying for anything, I think costumers don't have pay for Honda mistakes that's not fair.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 192014

I was on hwy 18 just before lake arrowhead, ca when I lost the power steering and almost went off the cliff. Upon inspection, I found that the belt tensioner bracket's pivot bolt had sheered off the engine block causing the belt tensioner to come loose. This, in turn caused loss of power steering. There was a tsb (09-007) issued by Honda for a limited number of VIN numbers. This tsb called for replacement of the pivot bolt and the drive belt. The tsb expired on January 30, 2012, however, it appears that this is an ongoing issue and Honda should recall all affected vehicles to correct the defect. I also contacted a small local Honda dealer and inquired about the number of this pivot bolts they have sold in the last 6 months. This dealership alone sold over ten bolts. It appears that this is a wide spread issue that needs immediate attention before injuries occur or worse, lives are lost.

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

May 242014

Civic 4-cyl

A faulty designed upper rear control arm causes uneven tire wear and alignment & braking issues.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 112014

Civic 4-cyl

I had a car accident on the huntingdon side of pine groves mountain on pa 26 South. I drove a Honda Civic 06 LX. When I was going down the mountain, I applied the brake normally to slow down before a curve when the speed was at 60 mph, but my car was drifting, not like hydroplaning at all. There was no water to cause that but it rained five to six hours before the accident. During the whole course of incident, the steering wheel was not responsive. When it started to drift, it skidded towards the incoming lane. I tried to correct the steering wheel slightly, it took much more force to operate the steering wheel and the direction was not corrected, so I adjusted it more. Then the head suddenly turned 60 to 80 degrees and hit the guardrail and then the car turned more than 180 degrees clockwise; then the tail hit a stop-sign pole and the car stopped in the mud. Since the car was still drivable, I did not call the police to check the scene. I think it was caused by Honda's design defects since I had Goodyear four-season tires with more than enough grids, so I want to hire an investigator to investigate my case and ask Honda to buy the car back. But none of the law firms I contacted could help me. During the whole course, there was no car coming in both directions. Two cars passed me by when I was pulling my car out of mud but none of them stopped, so I guess there was no witness. The first time when I applied the brake again after the incident, I felt the brake was flimsy, so I drove much slower later, at around 40 mph. I am not sure if the brake could handle that wet road again, but most of time at most places the brake does not fail, so I assume I experienced a case, on wet road with downhill gravity, that the car is incapable of handling.

- Huntingdon, PA, USA

Jan 122011

When my boyfriend took the car in for 30,000 mile service he mentioned that the power steering fluid was low. Honda claimed there was no leaks. At 46,980 miles they determined power steering rack had internal leak causing low fluid and damage to pump. Honda would not confess to the power steering being faulty and refused to pay for replacement of rack and pinion and pump.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 152007

Civic 4-cyl

During the years of 2008 through 2011, I brought vehicle to sheehy Honda of alexandria for regular service. On several occasions I complained of excessive road noise. Technicians made notations of tires "cupping, noise" and acknowledged uneven and premature wear and recommended replacement of rear control arm. I declined the recommended service on the grounds that I felt like that sounded like a defective part issue for which I should not be required to pay. Upon further research I found that Honda had acknowledged a problem with control arms on 2006 Civics in service bulletin 08-001. In 2011, I brought this to Honda's attention through sheehy Honda of alexandria, va and through calls to american Honda motor co., Inc. Honda refused to replace control arm. In July of 2013, I received a notice, through Honda, from the United States district court for the central district of California instructing me to take my 2006 Civic in to have the control arm inspected/replaced. In August of 2013, I took the vehicle to sheehy Honda of alexandria for the recommended service. They did not look at the control arm. They instead made a notation that the "rear tire wear is okay at this time" and refused to replace the control arm. When I brought it to their attention that there is a record of this issue with them on my car going back to 2011, I was informed that all records are purged after two years and they had no record of interactions with me on this issue.

- Alexandria, Va, VA, USA

Jan 122012

Civic 4-cyl

The rear tires wear badly to the point of the tires cupping and wearing unevenly. This process is horrible and dangerous as it will eventually shake the car and lock the seat belt while driving on the highway. A person also loses the ability to steer effectively due to the bumpiness from the tires. When I took my vehicle in to get new tires (due to problems stated above), they said that the inside of my tires were on the verge of blowing out, yet I still had tread on the outer side of my tire. Based on this, I was more at risk to have a blow-out at any time and would have had no inclination because my tires still looked new ? until my vehicle was up on a lift. Since then, I have only had my new tires for 25,000 miles (rotated every 5,000 miles) and my mechanic is now refusing to rotate them based on the uneven wear and "dangerous driving conditions" that could result if they rotated them (their liability). The inside of the tires are already bald while there is more than half the tread of the outer side of the tire. Based on tbs 08-001 this is a known issue with the 06-07 vehicles, yet Honda has yet to recall their faulty factory parts.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Jan 102013

Civic 4-cyl

At around 35mph the vehicle suddenly started to make a metallic-type noise and the vehicle shut down immediately. If it would've happened 5 seconds later it would've occurred right as I was about to make a left turn, it would've most likely caused a severe accident and possibly a fatality. When I took the car to where the vehicle was purchased from they told me a bolt was torn lose from the tensioner. This caused all belts to break down and the engine to shutdown while running at around 35mphs. Furthermore, the bolt flew into the engine block costing costly repairs. The company, Honda refused to pay for the damage caused by this defect and told me to take it with my extended warrant provider. They claim it's wear and tear but that is not the case as previous recalls for the same problem were issued for my vehicle but according to them not my particular VIN. Bolts shouldnt tear off at 29,000 miles or six years.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 092012

Civic 4-cyl

Power steering pump leaked at 30K under warranty dealer replace faulty O ring allegedly. Now at 120K the O ring is leaking again and also the seams of the housing are leaking. Told $425 to fix by dealer. I feel a design defect has caused the pump to leak.

- Kc, MO, USA

May 232012

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while having routine maintenance performed on the vehicle, she was notified that the power steering pump was leaking. The dealer stated that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 61,000. Updated 08/07/12

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Nov 212011

Civic 4-cyl

Power steering fluid pump failed while driving. Starts with a noise while turning. Then shortly thereafter, extreme difficulty in turning car left or right. Steering wheel becomes very hard to turn, and speed of car slows greatly while turning. Took car into Honda dealership for initial noise problem on a Monday--said they couldn't find a problem/couldn't hear anything. Took car back on following Tuesday when turning problem became severe. Problem finally diagnosed and fixed at dealership. New power steering pump installed. Car bought new--only 5 years old. Only one owner. All previous maintenance (except for tire replacement) completed at Honda dealership.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 142011

Civic 4-cyl

Occasionally, after starting the car, the power steering system does not activate. The eps(electronic power steering) light on the dash comes on, and the car will run without power steering. Usually by turning off and restarting the car a few times fixes the problem.

- Hartville, OH, USA

Mar 152011

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact was driving 34 mph as the vehicle exhibited an abnormal clunking noise. The contact suddenly lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree. He sustained cracked ribs and several bruises as a result. A police report was filed. The contact had not called the manufacturer in regards to the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The contact was unsure as to what caused the crash. The failure mileage was 78,000. Updated 4/01/11 updated 04/06/11

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 102011

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel exhibited an unusual grinding noise and became increasingly stiff and difficult to maneuver without warning. Within five minutes of the failure, the contact noticed that the engine was smoking. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they informed her that the tensioner pivot bolt had fractured and entered the engine block causing the vehicle to smoke and the steering failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 60,500. Updated 12/14/11

- Murfressboro, TN, USA

Oct 312010

2006 Honda Civic hybrid. The power steering does not activate when the car is started. This happens anywhere one to three times per month. Normally restarting the car will correct the problem, but a few times it has taken as many as 12 attempts before it engages.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Aug 212010

My 2006 Honda Civic had the tsb09-007 recall performed to reroute the drive belt and replace the pivot bolt on 3/9/2009. The bolt broke after another 20000miles on 8/21/2010. I do not think my dealer replaced the bolt in question (hoffman Honda of West simsbury Connecticut) or the recall is not sufficient to fix the problem. This is a safety issue because the tsb clearly states this failure can result in a loss of power steering.

- Canton, CT, USA

May 232010

I have a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid and on occasion the power steering goes out if you restart the car sometimes it comes back on sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries the other day the power steering shut off while driving, making it very difficult to steer. I have found others who have the same problem on line and I am wandering why this is not a recall issue. As of yet I have not fixed anything because the part I think I need is around $800.

- A, VA, USA

Oct 012009

Power steering failure, when starting car power steering fails and warning light on dash board lights up for steering failure, this has happened at least 6 times in the past 3 months, checked manual and it advises shutting off car and restarting which I would do, after doing this several times the power steering engages. I took the car to the dealer today 10/2/09 and was advised the power steering module needed replaced at a cost of $800, I am scheduled to have the module replaced on 10/5/09 and will retain the defective module if need for your investigation. The lack of power steering makes the car very dangerous as the failure of the power steering makes the car un drivable and could cause an accident if driving at highway speeds. Honda needs a recall to repair this problem. In researching this problem I have noticed that other owners of 2006 Honda Civics have also had the same problem and have been reported to NHTSA.

- Purdys, NY, USA