2006 Honda Civic wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 012016

Civic

Rear tires have premature wear from inside out and wearing fast. Causing alot of vibration as well.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Nov 092007

Civic

Rear inside tire wear. Put an aftermarket kit in and still having problems with abnormal tire wear.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Oct 222015

Civic

Purchased 4 Goodyear viva 2 tires, from walmart on 10/27/2014, for the first few months they were great. After awhile I kept needing to get them rebalanced due to vibrating, they started getting louder and louder. Had to keep getting my car aligned every other month. Today on 10/22/2015, driving straight on cruise control at 70mph on interstate 376, I started hearing this awful noise, I thought it was a wheel bearing that kept going bad. Then the car wouldn't accelerate, and I started smelling burnt rubber and smoke coming out of the back. I pulled off the closet exit and into the closet parking lot, to find that the tire had blown out on the side wall. I went to the walmart that I purchased these tires from. Since I purchased road hazard they replaced the tire at a prorated rate. But they don't sell viva 2's anymore, they replaced it with a viva 3. I have 3 other of these tires, if it was a front tire and me going 70mph, that probably wouldn't have ended so pretty. I'm scared to drive my car with these tires on.

- New Castle, PA, USA

Jun 102008

Civic

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic for a tire rotation and alignment. The maintenance was declined due to a failure with both rear tires. The details were not provided to the contact. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 152015

Civic

2006 Honda Civic ex sedan. Approximately 94,000 miles and have worn through 3 sets of tires. Tires get rotated and balanced every 7,500 miles and tires are always Goodyear brand. On 8/15/2015 noticed that 2006 Honda Civic had a flat tire (rear passenger side). After removing wheel and inspecting tire it was noticed that the tire had been completely worn through on interior tread (wire mesh was worn through and actual hole had developed in tire). It was shocking an complete tire failure and blowout had not taken place while driving. Independent garage serviced the vehicle and determined that control arms needed to be replaced/amended (estimated cost of $1100) and at minimum a new tire was needed as well as new alignment. New tire put on, balancing and alignment of all tires/wheels - $210 as of 8/18/2015. It is likely that the faulty control arm issues are to blame for the premature wear on previous and current set of tires.

- California, MD, USA

Dec 272007

Civic 4-cyl

A class action lawsuit was pursued and settled with Honda corporation in December 2013 related to uneven/excessive tire wear on 2006 Honda Civics. It was related to faulty control arms. I missed the deadline to file a claim (January 16, 2014), but I believe this is a problem that Honda should be responsible to correct. My Civic has had 3 sets of tires since I purchased it used in 2006. 2 tires were replaced at 32,261 miles, then 2 more at 39,399miles. After that 4 tires were replaced at 55,750 miles, and then 4 more at 72,450 miles. Rapid wear occurred between 39,399 - 55,750 miles, and 55,750 - 72,450 miles. I believe Honda should replace the control arm at no cost and provide reimbursement for tires that have worn too rapidly.

- Great Falls, VA, USA

Oct 132014

Civic 4-cyl

Defects in rear suspension cause uneven tire wear. After rotating the tires, the front wheels vibration makes driving unsafe.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Apr 282014

Civic 4-cyl

Lost control of vehicle trying to avoid an object on the highway. My vehicle hit the railing on the interstate and the air bags did not deploy. My vehicle was declared a complete lost as other damage to the frame occurred, and the drivers side front wheel came off.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

May 222014

Civic 4-cyl

As the owner of this vehicle, I have never received any type of notification that this problem existed until I started a web search for information on why this problem occurred to the Honda Civic. We formerly owned a Honda Accord and never had any service problems (other than regular maintenance concerns). I am really disappointed in the fact that this is taking up time to conduct discovery of facts, repairing some of the problems and then buying new tires. The tire warranty does not cover uneven wear!!!

- Houston, TX, USA

May 062014

Civic 4-cyl

The Honda dealership will not replace the control arm in my 2006 Honda Civic for free even though this is a known defect in the manufacturing of the car and a class action lawsuit was recently settled regarding the issue.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Apr 212014

Civic 4-cyl

?uneven or rapid tire wear" due to defective upper control arm. Currently Honda has a campaign L-82 to repair the C arm but only for the Civic 2006-2007 si or hybrid model. My Civic ex model is not covered. I told there dealer that Honda had this service bulletin viii-10-07 dated back Nov 26, 2007. This service was only covered over warranty, unfortunately I don't have extended warranty for my 2006 Civic ex. Is there anything legally that can be done, I am sure there are other Civic owners out there with the same dilemma.

- New York, NY, USA

Mar 152014

Civic 4-cyl

There is roaring noise from rear tire (right side) on freeway speeds and the vehicle vibrates uncontrollably. On check up with technician, found that the rear tire has worn out unevenly and this is causing this noise and vibration.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Civic

With my seven year old car I have gone through numerous tires. Always replacing them due to the alignment on my car which I have been told is nothing that can be fixed. This is way beyond costly and I don't think that we should have to keep paying for Honda's mistakes. I will just be driving down the road then randomly my tires will blow out. Something needs to be done about this.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Sep 152007

Civic 4-cyl

During the years of 2008 through 2011, I brought vehicle to sheehy Honda of alexandria for regular service. On several occasions I complained of excessive road noise. Technicians made notations of tires "cupping, noise" and acknowledged uneven and premature wear and recommended replacement of rear control arm. I declined the recommended service on the grounds that I felt like that sounded like a defective part issue for which I should not be required to pay. Upon further research I found that Honda had acknowledged a problem with control arms on 2006 Civics in service bulletin 08-001. In 2011, I brought this to Honda's attention through sheehy Honda of alexandria, va and through calls to american Honda motor co., Inc. Honda refused to replace control arm. In July of 2013, I received a notice, through Honda, from the United States district court for the central district of California instructing me to take my 2006 Civic in to have the control arm inspected/replaced. In August of 2013, I took the vehicle to sheehy Honda of alexandria for the recommended service. They did not look at the control arm. They instead made a notation that the "rear tire wear is okay at this time" and refused to replace the control arm. When I brought it to their attention that there is a record of this issue with them on my car going back to 2011, I was informed that all records are purged after two years and they had no record of interactions with me on this issue.

- Alexandria, Va, VA, USA

Aug 062013

Civic 4-cyl

I went to the store with my 3 year old and on the way home I was at an intersection at a stop sign and I started to go left and my car bucked and started making grinding sounds very loud. It would not go anywhere and I put the car in park and the car rolled back. I turned off the car and put my E brake on. I had to have it towed. The guy who towed my car said the axle broke. He said it must have been going for some time now. I just bought this car on 2/22/13. This should not have happened.

- Wingdale, NY, USA

Aug 012013

Civic 4-cyl

I took my car into a shop to get it checked out and they said I have uneven tire wear he showed me it looked like zebra stripes in my tires. He said he thinks this was a recall. But he also said I needed front brakes. He said the rear brakes were not being used at all and that's why my front brakes went so quick. I was very upset. They should not have sold me a car that didn't have brakes in the rear. I have 2 children 1 is 3 and the other is 9. I really need to have brakes in my car.

- Wingdale, NY, USA

Mar 262012

Civic 4-cyl

Uneven tire wear and vibrations when traveling on highway. Honda had a recall to repair control arm. Had repair done 6 years ago. It was a factory/manufacturing problem. It is happening again. Called dealer who said Honda only honors one repair. Any subsequent repairs are at my expense. Dealer will not do permanent fix. Tires wear unevenly due to problem. Have bought several tires. Have had premature brake wear and strut replacement due to manufacturing issues. Also, catalytic converter now going out prematurely. Nothing covered by Honda. Many complaints on the internet. Class action lawsuit forming. Why does Honda not stand behind its product and permanently repair manufacturing defects/problems?

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Jan 122012

Civic 4-cyl

The rear tires wear badly to the point of the tires cupping and wearing unevenly. This process is horrible and dangerous as it will eventually shake the car and lock the seat belt while driving on the highway. A person also loses the ability to steer effectively due to the bumpiness from the tires. When I took my vehicle in to get new tires (due to problems stated above), they said that the inside of my tires were on the verge of blowing out, yet I still had tread on the outer side of my tire. Based on this, I was more at risk to have a blow-out at any time and would have had no inclination because my tires still looked new ? until my vehicle was up on a lift. Since then, I have only had my new tires for 25,000 miles (rotated every 5,000 miles) and my mechanic is now refusing to rotate them based on the uneven wear and "dangerous driving conditions" that could result if they rotated them (their liability). The inside of the tires are already bald while there is more than half the tread of the outer side of the tire. Based on tbs 08-001 this is a known issue with the 06-07 vehicles, yet Honda has yet to recall their faulty factory parts.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Apr 032006

Civic 4-cyl

I am on my 8th pair of tires with my vehicle. My tires wear out prematurely and cause heavy vibrations while driving. The tires get noticeable flat spots on them and the tread wears very thin on the inside of the tires. 2 years ago we became extremely close to have one tire blow out on us as it was worn almost through the entire tire. I believe this is a very dangerous problem that Honda should deal with. They have come out with a kit for the rear upper control arms that are "suppose" to fix the problem. I took my car in to have the arms replaced, first Honda regional service manager said they would not pay for the repair. Second, they put the upgraded control arms on the car and they still couldn't get the tires aligned properly, so thirdly I have to wait so they can order some after-market control arms to hopefully fix the problem. You can plainly see when the car is sitting on a flat surface that the tires are slanted too much. It is so obvious that if they couldn't see it at production, they should think about their hiring process. This is dangerous, and people shouldn't have to pay for problems that are caused by the manufacturer.

- North Judson, IN, USA

Jul 312007

Civic 4-cyl

Multiple sets of tires replaced due to premature tire wear on rear tires. Honda tsb 08-001 recognizes geometry issue of negative camber on the vehicle. This is a safety concern for me as I didn't know the tires were wearing prematurely until I had the tires inspected. The handling is affected due to a roaring or thumping vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle. New tires wear in less than 10,000 miles causing undue burden on the consumers part to replace the tires in order to maintain the safety of the vehicle. Honda will not repair the vehicle as it is out of warranty and repairs must be covered by the consumer.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA