2007 Honda Civic drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Civic:

2007 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 302010

Civic

My clutch went out on a 2007 Honda Civic si sedan. There was a tsb on the vehicle and I had called my local service department about it previously with them telling me not to worry about the problem. I live in a cold climate and was in traffic when the clutch went out so it was dangerous in numerous ways. The clutch is defective per the tsb and is a hazard to people when they drive and the clutch might go out. The clutch issue has been on the news and in the paper but no dealership is telling people and no letters have been sent to people to let them know!

- Anchorage , AK, USA

Aug 112010

Civic

I received a letter from american Honda Corp. Stating that I needed to get a software update on my 2007 Honda Civic hybrid ima battery. I took the car to my local dealer and since the update has been installed the car is dangerous to drive when entering the freeway. The failure to accelerate happens everytime I enter the freeway. The consequences of this failure is that cars behind come up on me very fast and I have no power to get in the flow of traffic. It has little acceleration to match traffic flow. It seems the car is mostly operating on the small engine and has little assist from the battery, since the update has been installed.I called american Honda they said there was no problem with the update on the performance of the car and they would not do anything regarding my concerns. I feel this car is an accident waiting to happen. As well, Honda said they will not change the warranty on the battery even though they have changed how the battery operates since they have installed the update. I ask you to consider telling Honda to recall this car and make it safe to drive. I want my car to run the way it did before the software was installed. A side complaint is that the good gas mileage I got on a tank of gas as dropped considerably since the update.. thank you for your consideration on taking on this complaint.. P.S. there has been no accident. I filed this complaint so that there is none in the future. The incident date of August 11,2010 is the date the new software was installed in my car.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Apr 012010

Civic

Ignition key may be removed when vehicle is not shifted into "park." Unless the parking brake is engaged, this can cause the vehicle to roll from an apparently parked position, creating a risk of damage to property and personal injury.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jun 302008

Civic

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. While braking from speeds of 40 mph, the vehicle jolted backward as if she had shifted into reverse. The contact was on a flat road surface when the failure occurred. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated the failure would occur intermittently. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 66,793.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

May 072010

Civic

When I am traveling at speeds above 65mph my entire car vibrates/shutters/shimmy/shakes. It is felt in the steering wheel, and shifter, and the overall ride of the vehicle. It only occurs when I press the gas to accelerate. If I am traveling at 72mph and I release my foot from the gas the vibration does not go away 100%, but it's greatly reduced. At 32,000 my tires were completely bald and worn. I brought my car to Honda who would not honor the warranty which expired at 30,000. I then took my car to a repair mechanic who told me the he could not fix the camber which was out of alignment. It was the cause of the excessive tire wear and so I bought new tires and had them mounted, aligned and balanced. Recently after having a 50,000 major service performed on my car by Honda the problem came back. Had the right and left inner cv joints replaced and the vibration still persists.

- Orange, CA, USA

Nov 162009

Civic

I got a new Honda Civic ex 2007 sedan and performing all the regular needed maintenance and wheel rotation. After driving 20,000 miles, I felt shaking and vibration of the car with lots of noise coming out of the car. I brought my car to Honda dealer; the technician checked and informed me that, the wheel cups are unevenly worn due to the defective wheel control arm and improper wheel alignment. Dealer said he fixed the wheel alignment and replaced the defective wheel control but mentioned that the noise will continue till the wheels wear evenly (approximately 2months). I drove again for four months with that noise and vibrations, I didn┐T see any change and in fact the noise has been increased. I brought the car again to dealer and technician verified and said, I need to replace all 4 tires in order to get ride of that issue. I filed a compliant to Honda customer service claiming that, the wheels has been premature wear of tires due to the defective wheel control arm from the manufacture. They took week time and informed me that, the tires were not covered my Honda warranty and they could not help on this. I argued with the manager who handled the case, the life of the tires was reduced to half because of the defective part from the car, ..no use..

- Reston, VA, USA

Sep 222009

Civic

I own a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. The hybrid batteries discharge in warm weather leaving the car dangerously under-powered. This occurs several times per day and when it does the car does not accelerate fast enough to safely merge onto the highway, change lanes or turn before oncoming traffic. It can be very scary at times. Initially the problem only occurred in very hot weather but is worsening and now occurs routinely in regular warm air ┐ most any time the A/C is used. The Honda dealership said they acknowledge the problem but can only say that Honda corporate is aware and investigating. Safety dictates that this investigation move faster.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 112009

Civic

I have owned my 2007 Honda Civic hybrid for about 21months. I started to have issues with the ima (integrated motor assist, hybrid batteries) last summer (2008) and continue to have issues to date (May 2009). The ima battery that powers the assist motor has been unpredictable and has had degraded performance for the past year causing the car to be underpowered and unsafe to drive on the highway. The ima system routinely fully discharges (especially during the hot summer months in Arizona) and leaves the car only to run on the underpowered 1.3 L gas engine. The car is very sluggish, causing safety issues when acceleration is needed in city or interstate driving. My wife drives 3 kids to school (35 miles on way) on a daily basis and is concerned for the kids and her safety on the highway. The batteries also are located under the rear passenger seat. Due to the excessive heat the rear passengers (my kids) are always complaining that the seat is warm and that is excessively hot in the back seat since the problem first was observed in last summer 2008, I have taken it to several different Honda dealerships. They all state that this is ┐normal┐ operation and unless the service light comes on that nothing is wrong. The service light they are referring to is the P1433 battery degraded code that states to replace the batteries. It seems odd that they wait until the batteries are totally failed and depleted before they will change them. I noticed that Honda does have a tsb out covering excessive heat and that it can severely damage the ima batteries. This states that if the temperature is above 150 degrees F that the batteries can be damaged or fail. I know that heat soaking the car for 8-10 hours in the full sun at 110+ degrees (shade temp) can easily heat the ima batteries to very close to 150 degrees. I am highly concerned for the safety of my wife and kids that she drives and others that may be effected.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jan 262009

Civic

2007 Honda Civic hybrid very unstable on icy road conditions especially at low speeds when cycling between electric motor, gas engine and completely shutting off. In stop and go traffic if I did not put the vehicle into neutral the car would lurch and lose traction when cycling through drive systems. As a side bar I had 4 new tires installed on the vehicle on January 14, 2009. 12 day prior to the icy road conditions. Honda needs to address this issue.

- Oklahoma City, OR, USA

Jul 012007

Civic

Honda Civic hybrid, car was working fine at purchase, once this problem occurred it has been occurring frequently ever since. The malfunction mostly occurs after the car has been parked is the hot sun, once engine is started within 3-10 minutes engine will run rough, the ima system (integrated motor assist) will start charging the ima battery (158 volt nickel metal hydride battery) then suddenly empty the complete charge of the ima battery within 10 seconds. While the ima system is malfunctioning which is usually 5-20 minutes the braking is severely affected; when letting off the accelerator the car does not want to slow down, it feels like the cruise control is on and braking force is greatly reduced. Also, while the ima system is malfunctioning, the ima assist electric motor stops working and the acceleration is severely reduced to the point that it is difficult to accelerate with the traffic, if you had to accelerate in a hurry to avoid an accident, it would not be possible while malfunctioning. This problem occurs several times per week during the warmer months, sometimes several times per day. Also, since this malfunction has started the gas mileage has severely dropped. Car has been in for service several times and I have been told by Honda that they cannot find anything wrong with the car. It is my understanding that many Civic hybrids are experiencing this problem and Honda is not currently addressing this. This malfunction makes this car an unsafe hazard to drive.

- Greenwell Springs, LA, USA

Aug 062008

Civic

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic. While backing out of a parking space, the gear shifter moved from park into neutral. This failure occurred automatically and without assistance. The RPM's raced to an excessively high rate. There were no warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure occurred on three separate occasions and the vehicle was taken to the dealer each time. The failure still persists and the vehicle has not been successfully repaired. The contact was concerned of the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was 10,900 and current mileage was 12,000.

- Kansas, MO, USA