2008 Honda Civic miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Civic:

2008 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012012

The paint is cracking and chipping the oil bracket nut is leaking and weak (can cause fire to burn faster than normal) the air bag on left is defective

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jul 282016

Speed limit was 25 and was going 80, ran over a stop sign and nearly did it twice with children in the back seat

- Santa Paula, CA, USA

Jul 262016

I purchased a 2008 Honda Civic ex in 2009. A few years after purchase the drivers side sun visor broke at the seams. It was replaced under warranty. Several years ago the same visor broke in the same spot. The dealer sold/installed a new one but I had to pay for it as Honda would only cover it once. Today the visor is breaking again in the same spot and in a new area. I feel pretty sure if I take it in I will be told it will not be covered under warranty. I have owned 4 Civic ex's and none have had this problem just the 08' a google search shows they have had defects with this sun visor and settle and out of court settlement to replace but not assume responsibility for the problem. In my opinion it is a safety issue as without a sun visor vision is obstructed for the driver.

- Syracuse, UT, USA

Jun 172016

Driver's side sun-visor split at the rear edge while driving. This limited the motion of the visor causing it to be flipped down while driving obscuring the view of the road for the driver. This caused driver distraction.

- Florence, MA, USA

Jul 142015

The visors broke in July 2015 and cracked; they cannot be used. I was able to return the driver side visor to the upright position; however, the passenger visor does not return to the upright position and often is bothersome to passengers. When Honda was contacted in October 2015 I was informed that I had received a recall notice in May 2011. I did not purchase the car until October of that year. I was also informed that the time period in which to respond to the recall for repair had concluded and that I could pay to have the visors repaired. They cost over $50 each. Therefore, I have not repaired the visors. The mileage is approximate. The initial incident occurred in a parking lot.

- Peekskill, NY, USA

Dec 012015

Paint on my navy blue Civic is deteriorating on the trunk, hood and roof. Also my passenger sun visor is broke. It looks like it melted and cracked for no apparent reason. There have been many complaints about paint peeling and chipping. You would think that Honda would take responsibility for the problem.

- Point Pleasant, NJ, USA

Jun 102015

Clear coat & paint still fading after it was repainted by cleobay Honda in 2014. Side airbag warning light is on most of the time for no reason. Sun visor's where replaced twice last in 2014 and are broken again. They will not stay up or down.

- Ramona, OK, USA

Jul 212015

I was making a left turn leaving my place of work. The car made a loud grinding noise and the steering wheel locked (power steering went) and A/C stopped working. I immediately parked the car and the next day had it towed to a Honda dealership. Upon inspection, the water pump seized up. The pulley and lock bolt holding the serpentine belt had practically fallen off. This was confirmed by a Honda dealership technician. The car has low mileage, I am the first owner, and the car has only been serviced at a Honda dealership. I will also reference a service bulletin issued on 2006 Honda Civics. There is no recall on 2008's even though it contains the same R18 engine (engine block cracking problems) as the 2006 and 2007. Service bulletin number: 08-038 NHTSA id #: 10026085 bulletin date: Fri, 08/01/2008 failing component(s): 062000 engine and engine cooling:cooling system summary: Honda: Product update: Water pump pulley flange cracks. A crack pulley flange may create a pulley noise, cause the water pump to fail, and cause the drive belt to break. Updated 12/19/08. Csc letter was received.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jun 142015

Paint is peeling on roof. Last week as I was loading a toddler into the vehicle, he managed to grab a piece of chipped paint and put it in mouth. I did some researched and discovered that Honda had issues with this particular paint. However, they are not taking responsibility since I missed their deadline. I am grateful that I was able to intercede and take the piece of paint out of my nephew's mouth and prevent him from going to the emergency room but could you imagine the potential risks out there. Based on my research it is common for this paint to chip on the roof and trunk, and I cannot believe that Honda is simply looking the other way. I guess we only have to wait and see the repercussions of their negligence and hope that drivers are vigilant when loading/unloading unruly toddlers from these questionable vehicles.

- Bellflower, CA, USA

Jun 072015

The air conditioning stopped working. When I took it to a dealer for service, they indicated that the compressor had failed, sending metal filings throughout the ac system (a $3700 repair). After a little searching, it is clear that many owners of Honda Civics (model years 2006-12) have had similar problems, as have drivers of other Honda models. Honda recalled the ac systems on the cr-vs from this period, but not for the Civic. Given the apparent prevalence of the problem in the Civic ac systems, I believe a manufacturer's recall may be in order.

- Decatur, GA, USA

May 192015

This vehicle is a 2008 Honda Civic sedan and the entire air conditioning system needs to be replaced. These repairs will cost over $2,000. This model of vehicle has a history or air conditioning related failures. The need for Honda to address this with a recall exists with so many people having issues. Keep taking the car to the dealer for service and no clear answers are given as to what the problem is. The true is that the car has a big issue with the air contidioning and Honda should make sure is taking care of.

- Gurnee, IL, USA

May 132015

As I was driving through I-95, I noticed that the interior roof lining mostly on the rear area started flapping and sagging. It was blocking my rear view vision, which was very dangerous when driving at high speeds. I was forced to shoulder at I95 because of this and closed my windows just to avoid the distraction. It was still sagging yet no flapping occurred, I exited prematurely at I95 to drive to the side streets to be safe. Now the reason why it was flapping in the wind is because I was forced to open my windows because of another Honda Civic problem, an A/C problem that was unresolved for almost two months. I kept going back and forth to service centers to have it fixed but no leakage was found. My A/C was not working and was later found out that the compressor malfunctioned. It was a series of unpleasant events then that involved my Honda Civic aside from the tires that I need to replace 3 times in a span of three years..

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

May 042015

Both sun visors in my car are not able to be pushed up anymore. It seems like they melted and came apart or cracked. I have researched online and this seems to be a common occurrence with my make and model of car.

- Logandale, NV, USA

May 122015

This vehicle is a 2008 Honda Civic coupe and the entire air conditioning system needs to be replaced. These repairs will cost $2,000 and after doing extensive research, this model of vehicle has a history or air conditioning related failures. The need for Honda to address this with a recall exists with so many people having issues.

- Harlingen, TX, USA

Apr 112015

Civic 4-cyl

My son was involved in a car crash with a large SUV. He hit them from the rear. My Honda Civic went under the bumper of the large SUV. Due to the impact my bumper tore off, my headlights broke, my hood was smashed in and the front end of the car was smashed in. Why weren't the air bags deployed"? that is our concern" my son could have died in this crash due to faulty air bags. We have pictures of the crash. Our main concern is the air bags not being deployed. I would like to notify Honda Corp of this incident.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Nov 072014

Civic 4-cyl

The paint is coming off my blue 2008 Civic LX coupe. The roof and hood look like the paint just peeled off.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Mar 232009

Civic 4-cyl

I bought my '08 Civic ex sedan (galaxy grey), brand new, while battling hodgkins lymphoma. I have been in remission since February 2009, however my paint job/clear coat has progressively gotten worse. It looks like reverse rally stripes on the hood, roof and trunk. Not to mention the doors and fenders. Please help!!!

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 022014

Civic 4-cyl

While driving down the freeway, I could hear a vibration coming from the passenger window and when I looked over, I could see part of the rubber seal, that holds the windshield in place, flapping in the breeze. After examining the seal on both the driver side and the passenger side, the top half of the seal is no longer there. With the rainy season approaching, I am worried that water will get into the inside of the car and cause the windshield to pop out. This is differently a safety issue.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 252014

Defective paint job.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 232011

Unintended acceleration while braking. I turned into the grocery store parking lot and had my foot pressing on the brake to slow down for some people. I was looking for a place to park. All of a sudden, the car accelerated forward rapidly while I was braking. I pressed the brake all the way down. The car kept accelerating rapidly. I grabbed the parking brake with my right hand and steered the wheel with my left hand. I kept my foot pressing on the brake. The car kept accelerating and hit metal railing. The car swerved to the right and hit the first concrete step. The car stopped and I was severely shaken. I tried to get the key out of the ignition, but it would not come out. A man, woman, and store manager kept asking me if I was alright. Several police cars came. One policeman inspected the floor mat in front of the driver's seat. He tried to wiggle it. It only wiggled a little bit to the left and remained far away from the gas pedal, not touching the gas pedal. He wiggled the key with some motion and pulled it out. The derry township police dept. Wrote up a crash information report - incident number dtr111023005. I am still upset and shaken from this accident. The sudden unintended acceleration was so frightening and so dangerous that I no longer trusted this car. The next day when I tried to drive this car to the dealership, the temperature was so hot that it was in the red area. I had this car towed to the dealership, ciocca Honda in harrisburg. I traded this 2008 Honda Civic for a 2012 Honda Civic. In June 2011, my 2008 Honda had a complete inspection at good's automobile service in hershey, pa. Everything checked out fine. I have had several episodes where I was driving and the car would accelerate on its own. Ciocca checked my car several times and said it was fine. The 7/14/2010 service form recorded "customer states vehicle accelerates when off gas."

- Hershey, PA, USA