2010 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Civic:

2010 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jan 052015

Civic

My Civic has developed excessive bearing noise in the transmission and it is getting louder, especially in cold weather.

- Moore, OK, USA

Sep 242015

Civic

The motor mount on my 2010 Honda Civic needed to be replaced at approximately 45,000 miles. A quick search on the Honda forums revealed many other people complaining about this issue, some of whom have had to replace their motor mount multiple times. This would appear to be a known weakness in the design which Honda is not addressing for owners.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 292015

Civic

The contact owns a 2010 Honda Civic. While driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. In addition, the contact noticed smoke emitting from the engine compartment and all the doors failed to unlock. As a result, the contact had to exit the vehicle through the front driver side window, which was rolled down. In addition the contact stated that the vehicle caught fire. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Butler, NJ, USA

Oct 032014

Civic 4-cyl

The motor mount should not have needed replaced at 62,409 miles. It vibrates very bad when in reverse and makes this ungodly noise.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 092012

Civic 4-cyl

Rides rough shakes feels that it's going to stall. Very obvious when stopping for red lights. Vibration occurs if I put the transmission in neutral. Sometimes it stops it but it does reoccur. Also the A/C makes the car vibrate even more. Was serviced however had to bring it back, paying $160., in August 2012 for the same problem. They took it for a ride felt something in the steering wheel and proceeded to realign front wheels. Rode with a member of the service dept for a good 20 minutes and nothing happened to the car. When I drove the car home it happened again and, to date, it is still happening. A member of the service dept told me in confidence there is a relationship between the engine and the A/C but they haven't found how to fix it. I would like to know if other Civics complained about this problem.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

May 112014

Civic 4-cyl

Day1: I have a 2010 Honda Civic ex-L sedan with mileage of 95-100K. I was traveling at approximately 40-mph (best guess-timate), the vehicle check engine light came on, green light next to drive (D) began flashing and vsa indicator was lit too; vehicle seemed to be a bit jerky shifting. Took it into Honda and they changed transmission fluid, as well as replaced the 3rd gear pressure switch. Day 3: I experienced a similar problem, with the additional symptom of the speedometer display fluctuating wildly / reading too low or zero values. The local Honda dealership performed a computer update, cleared error codes, and a 10-min test drive did not recreate the issue. Day4: While gently accelerating to 45-mph, my check engine light appeared and the speedometer abruptly dropped to near "zero". it was at this point that the transmission abruptly down-shifted to either 1st or 2nd gear and caused the tires to screech (as if I had jammed on the brakes, but I had not). The abrupt deceleration of my vehicle nearly caused an accident with the car behind me, who was also accelerating and narrowly avoided rear-ending my vehicle (I imagine because of the sudden deceleration without warning of brake lights). This time, before returning to dealership, I performed online research and when I did return to that dealership, I suggested they check the engine's speed sensor. Sure enough, they ended up replacing the speed sensor and haven't had the problem since (3 weeks now). I'm reporting now because of my concern this malfunction could occur to someone else and cause their vehicle to be rear-ended.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Feb 042013

Civic

About a year ago - there was smoke coming out of engine while driving. We stopped and Honda said there was a problem with the engine and changed the engine (under warranty still). Since then, we have multiple engine warning light signs while driving in highway or middle of crowded city, as well as the drive light just starts randomly blinking forcing us to stop in the middle of the road and re-start the car. Throughout this time, they are now changing the engine for the 3rd time and there is constant leak and warning signs still. They have obviously not figured out the problem, but they know our warranty is running out in October - so they just change engine or repair a leak (without actually figuring out what the problem is) and they are waiting for warranty to run out. It is all been an engine problem and the dealer and now Honda just do not seem to care - we are still under warranty. We think this is a violation of the magnuson-moss warranty act as they have obviously not fixed the problem (ie engine) that is under warranty and just replace it with something that does not fix the problem. This is extremely dangerous for us to be driving this car as Honda and us both know that the problem is not fixed and driving in highway or a road could mean an accident anytime. However, Honda does not seem to care - they say well we will keep on replacing engine until warranty runs out. We would like to get a new car or a car with equal mileage (as of February 2013), as we have not been able to properly use the car and feel in danger every time we drive the car given all the warnings.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 172013

Civic

I purchased a new 2010 Honda hybrid, I have had 3 ima batteries replaced. The last one they replaced came with a software update that has reduced my mpg from over 40mpg to 30mpg and less power. I believe this is in violation of stated window sticker mileage claims, lemon laws and possibly air quality laws, not to mention the loss of power dangers.

- Paradise Valley, AZ, USA

Jan 132013

Civic 4-cyl

I was parked in shopping center. I came out of cvs pharmacy and carefully backed my car out. I began a left turn lane (still in shopping center) not into main road and suddenly the car's speed escalated rapidly and I could not stop it - it jumped the curb and in trying to avoid hitting shops car crashed headlong into light pole. It would appear that the gas accelerator was stuck. The airbag came on and I was injured by that. The front end of auto was badly damaged. This is a Honda Civic 2010 and there was a crash and one person injured (me) which when I print this your form reverts to original form.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA