2012 Honda Civic brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda Civic:

2012 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 112016

I had been driving on the street for about 5 minutes with my two kids. I had stepped on my brakes a few times and everything seem to work. Suddenly, I needed to slow down and pressed on my brake and the brake was hard where I couldn't step down on it. It seemed like it got stuck. I kept pressing on it and it did not work. I started zig zagging back and forth on the road trying to get the car to stop. I was trying my best to control the car so I wouldn't run into a house or another car. I shifted the car to park and the car did not stop. All this time I kept trying to step on the brake and nothing would happen. Finally, my last resort I pulled the hand brake and the car finally stopped. My car got very damaged.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Feb 062016

For manual transmissions rpms remain high even after foot is off the gas pedal consequently making it impossible to match rpms and causing premature failure to friction disks (clutch). Un necessary wear causing 1200+ in repairs. Brakes locked up on highway.. lost control spun 5 times and even after new alternator.. the RPM never reduces properly.. had in shop 3 X's set at your spec is wrong to make brake elease jerk, car shake at lights and causes me to rear end another car. 2/6/16

- Cortland, NY, USA

Jul 012014

Civic 4-cyl

The brakes drag each time the brakes are applied, this is a constant issue. It has been for sometime now.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 162015

Was following 2 car lengths behind a truck when a driver from the oncoming side of traffic fell asleep and rolled into median threatening to continue rolling onto our side of the road. Truck ahead of me slammed on brakes and in turn I slammed on brakes and ran into the back of the truck ahead of me. ABS brakes did not pump and work as they should have. Car written up as totaled by geico.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Mar 142015

Civic 4-cyl

Was driving around 50 mph when the light changed to yellow, when I tried to put on brakes they were gone and the steering was gone also, I did see a error message that stated to check power steering I was able to turn the car into a parking lot instead of going through the light. I cut off the car and re-started the car and the message and the check steering light were gone. It was as if the car lost power. I put my VIN in Honda's web site to check for a recall and there were not any. This could cause fatal accidents.

- Wetumpka, AL, USA

Jan 132015

Civic 4-cyl

While driving on hilly city streets during a snow storm, the vehicle stability control and ABS systems engaged, followed shortly by warning lights and messages that these systems needed attention. Despite parking the car and turning off the engine, a small motor within the "ABS modulator control unit" continued to operate and would not stop until I disconnected the battery. The modulator/control unit had to be replaced with a used unit costing $280, not counting diagnostic and labor charges. (total repair cost: $602.) a new unit would have cost over $1000. The used part came with a "lifetime warrantee." It seems that the original device should have been warranteed beyond the standard 3yr/30,000 mile limit as it is an important safety feature. Despite similar complaints posted on various websites, this problem has not been addressed with a recall.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Jan 102015

Civic 4-cyl

On Saturday January 10 2015 I was driving I was coming to a intersection when the stop light change I press on my brakes and my car did not stop even after I was pumping it. It did nothing my steering became locked the only recourse I had was to pull the emergency brakes to prevent my car from hitting anyone. I ending up in the middle of the intersection. Even after I was able to stop and move my car away the brakes and steering did not work. This is now preventing me from driving since I don't know if and when it might happen again. Also I have notice any one that is sitting in the passenger seat and is seat belted the sensor is not able to recognized that it giving alert that the person need to put on the seat belt this is a safety concern that Honda refuse to acknowledge.....updated 01/23/15

- White Plains, NY, USA

Dec 052014

Civic 4-cyl

Was driving on freeway in heavy traffic, car in front braked, hit brakes and they just went to the floor with no effort to stop the vehicle. Slammed into car in front with our 4 and 5 year old boys in back seat. Geico called the car a total loss. Honda refuses to inspect the car in fear of manufacturer defects. To make it worse the airbags didn't deploy. Roads were dry, no ice or anything else to cause inability to stop.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Sep 062014

Civic 4-cyl

Driverside rear brake pads and rotor excessive wear more than front disc brakes. Usually the front disc brake pads have to be replaced before the rear.

- Upland, CA, USA

May 062014

Twice I was stopped and foot on brake. Car rolled into car up front. My foot was still on the brake. I read that other people had the same problem. My insurance paid for one auto and the other let it go.

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

May 272014

Civic 4-cyl

I was driving on an exit ramp from a highway, car was coasting, and as I was approaching the stop sign, I applied the brakes softly, the car started slowing down further due to braking and then suddenly came to a brutal stop with tires screeching. Engine was stalled, automatic gear had shifted in neutral by itself, and there was a burning smell in the car. Fortunately there was no car behind me, otherwise it would have not been possible to prevent being rear-ended. The 25 mph speed is approximate as I was decelerating. A similar situation on a highway when traffic slows down could have dramatic consequences, causing a pile-up and possibly multiple deaths and injuries. I will drive the car very carefully to the dealership today. The car was purchased certified pre-owned yesterday.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

May 162014

Civic 4-cyl

I came upon stop and go traffic and came to my stop behind the car in front of me. The driver behind me failed to stop and hit the rear of my car. My brake pedal went all the way to the floor as all the electrical parts turned off and on. This included my motor, gauges, and radio. This pushed me into the driver in front of me. I was shocked to see my airbag didn't deploy and that my cars I-mid display showed to check my airbag system. Also my seatbelt didn't lock up fast enough to keep my head from hitting my steering wheel. This caused me to have a strain in my upper lumbar of the right side of my back. Updated 11/24/2014

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Oct 232013

Civic 4-cyl

I search on the internet that a lot of 2012 Civic owners experiencing the same annoying problems like clunking noise on the suspension or under the car, loud noise when shifting to reverse like axle shaft is disengaging, loud noise when putting pressure on the brake, clunking or popping noise when turning left or right, rolling noise on the seat belts, clunking loud noise when accelerating and releasing gas pedal, rattling noise in the morning while warming up the engine and also when accelerating. Atf leaking on the transmission because one of the bolts is not tightened...etc. I think this 2012 Honda Civic models should be recall by american Honda Motors. You can check the internet how many people are complaining and dealer said it was normal!!!"????" it is very annoying. I am only concern about my safety and the safety of my family. I hope the us goverment should do something about it. Thank you.

- Greenfield, CA, USA

Nov 052013

I was driving through an urban area in the morning on my way to work. The brake peddle got spongy and about 60 seconds later, while trying to stop at a red light, the brake peddle went to the floor and I had absolutely no stopping power. At no point, prior to the incident or after the incident did any kind of warning light appear. I was able to stop with the emergency brake. There was also a strong burning smell in the car at the time. Gradually the braking power came back to about 50% and I was able to drive the car to the dealership some 20 miles away. Still - no brake warning light. The dealership blames the problem on the car being driven with the emergency brake on (which it was not except for the initial emergency stop). They don't seem bothered that all braking power was lost on the vehicle without any warning lights displayed. The car requires new rear brakes to make it drive-able again. The manufacturer is refusing to cover the repair under their manufacturer warranty.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Oct 162013

Civic 4-cyl

On steep hill stopped, in drive. Fire department paramedics request I yield for them to go down hill. I let go of foot brake, car starts rolling backwards while still in drive. Suddenly, no brakes !! car increases rolling speed backwards, I yank up emergency brake & car finally stops. Put car in park, back in drive, still no brakes. Emergency brake again to stop car. Turning car off & on brings back break function.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Civic 4-cyl

When I was checking the air pressure in my tires, I noticed that the front passenger side brake caliper was cracked at the mounting point. Dealer inspected it and found that the brake pads were also worn at an angle - obviously due to broken caliper. Upon reassembly they concluded that the hub was bent as well but they could not determine if one caused the other or how they were related but speculated that the front wheel impacted to an extent that it bent the hub and/or caliper inspite of any evidence of damage to any front end parts, body parts, or wheel. I proposed that the hub was out of spec upon delivery and that after 11,000 miles stresses on the caliper caused it to break, however they disagreed and were unwilling to call the Honda area service manager. Cost of repair was initially quoted at around $800. Final cost over $1000.

- Highland Village, TX, USA

Apr 012013

Civic 4-cyl

When exiting a speed ramp off of the highway the RPM's speed up causing a horrible sound in the engine and the feeling that you may not be able to slow down in time to exit the ramp. Additionally, more than a numerous times the car is very unsteady going over 55mph if it encounters any type of "bump" in the highway upon merging into another lane it is unsteady and the whole car "jerks",(feels like it could rollover easily)you need to have a firm hold on the steering wheel or you could lose control. Glare on windshield at night presents a safety concern with night driving. The headrests are a hinder to being able to effectively see your blind spot and the car with its horrible steering control presents another area of concern, you will be in the other lane trying to look over your shoulder more than once!

- St Louis, MO, USA

Mar 302013

I took my 2012 Honda Civic for service I was told my rear brakes needed to be replaced, they replaced rear brake pads, new shim plates, resurfaced rotors. My rear brakes were at 2mm. I do not understand how could the rear brakes wear out before the front brakes they were at 7mm. I think my rear braking system must be defective.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Dec 222011

Civic 4-cyl

I am a fuel efficient driver, drive with the econ button on mos of the time. I drive 150 miles 5 times a week. Every time I am going downhill and I push the brakes to slow down, the RPM's go up. I also tried driving without the econ to see if it would change and the same thing happened. You would think by hitting the brakes a little harder would do the trick to decrease speed, but it doesn't. as you start holding the breaks for a long time, then the rps would decrease. I have looked online and many people are saying the same thing. Example:

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Feb 012013

I was driving home from work and was making a turn from coming off a stop light and the cars in front of me were stopped to merge onto the highway, I went to press the brake and my foot went to the floor and the brakes never kicked in. I swerved to try and miss the SUV in front of me but was not able to miss the SUV and rear ended him. I got out of the car and did not notice any ice or any fluid on the road that would cause me to loose traction. I hit mostly on the passenger side which saved the air bags from going off, had I hit front on I am positive the air bags would have gone off as upon impact the screens on the inside of the car turned red and read "check airbags" and then my car shut off and hazard lights turned on. This accident happened 2/1 and am waiting to get an estimate from my insurance company as to the total damage amount if my car will be totaled out or not.

- Columbus, OH, USA