2012 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda Civic:

2012 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jan 012015

Civic

Vehicle frequently stalls when turning left after coming to a stop, very dangerous when oncoming traffic, read numerous other complaints online, Honda needs to fix this problem before someone hurt/killed (if not already, and how would we know because of their negligence to fix this problem despite all the complaints?), and no it is not due to "left foot braking"

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 252015

Civic

Climbing up hill the car lost speed and did not shift gears. Then it stalled. I believe this vehicle was recalled and not fixed by the dealership or it should have been recalled by Honda and was not. It exhibits the same drive shaft problems as recalled Honda Civics. While driving you only need to tap the shift by mistake with your elbow and the car goes into neutral. It is a dangerous car to drive.

May 202015

Civic

The contact owns a 2012 Honda Civic. While the vehicle was in the park position, the rpms suddenly increased to approximately 4,000. After turning the vehicle off and restarting the engine, the vehicle continued to idle at approximately 4,000 rpms. After turning the engine off and back on a second time, the vehicle operated normally. The failure occurred on multiple occasions and was intermittent. While driving at highway speeds, the rpms would also erroneously increase. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,500.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Apr 112015

Civic

I was stopped at a red light. When the light turned green I stepped on the gas and the car went in reverse. I tried again and the car was in drive but went in reverse when I stepped on the gas. I had to turn the engine off and restart it in order to drive forward. This was the second time this had happened. It happened the first time about two months ago.

Dec 012014

Civic 4-cyl

The car loses power when going up hills and has stalled twice. If I lightly bump the shift while driving it goes into neutral. I must use the emergency brake when parked even on a flat surface or the car will roll.

Dec 292014

Civic 4-cyl

I was driving a 2012 Honda Civic when the car in front of me slammed on their brakes and came to a complete stop due to something in the road. I slammed on my brakes and tried to avoid the car in front of me by swerving to the right. The driver side of the front of my car hit the back of the car in front of me. My car was completely smashed in the front. Air bags did not deploy. After I came to a complete stop, my car lit on fire. The car was burned and completely destroyed.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Civic 4-cyl

This has happened more than once. When descending a hill after letting up on gas pedal the vehicle will rev up for a few of seconds and hitting the brakes did not disengage throttle, also when passing another vehicle after pulling in and let up on pedal the car still revved up for a couple of seconds. Have not taken to a dealer yet as I am trying to find exactly how and when this problem occurs so I can get the dealer to reproduce this problem (speed, road conditions, and any other conditions that might cause this problem). As we all know they can never get the problems to reproduce.

- Ilion, NY, USA

Jan 062014

Civic 4-cyl

Engine is consuming oil, I check my oil every two weeks and have to add oil. Generally 1/2 to 3/4 a quart a month. There is no oil is on the drive way or on the under carriage.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Apr 042012

Civic 4-cyl

Turned key to start and nothing happened; some warning lights went off, but no sound from starter, solenoid or other engine parts. Released key and turned key to start again; on second try, engine started properly. Sometimes, I may turn the key twice with nothing happening and engine starts on third try. Happens intermittently; can happen when engine is cold or hot.

- Arlington, TX, USA

May 272014

Civic 4-cyl

I was driving on an exit ramp from a highway, car was coasting, and as I was approaching the stop sign, I applied the brakes softly, the car started slowing down further due to braking and then suddenly came to a brutal stop with tires screeching. Engine was stalled, automatic gear had shifted in neutral by itself, and there was a burning smell in the car. Fortunately there was no car behind me, otherwise it would have not been possible to prevent being rear-ended. The 25 mph speed is approximate as I was decelerating. A similar situation on a highway when traffic slows down could have dramatic consequences, causing a pile-up and possibly multiple deaths and injuries. I will drive the car very carefully to the dealership today. The car was purchased certified pre-owned yesterday.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Oct 232013

Civic 4-cyl

I search on the internet that a lot of 2012 Civic owners experiencing the same annoying problems like clunking noise on the suspension or under the car, loud noise when shifting to reverse like axle shaft is disengaging, loud noise when putting pressure on the brake, clunking or popping noise when turning left or right, rolling noise on the seat belts, clunking loud noise when accelerating and releasing gas pedal, rattling noise in the morning while warming up the engine and also when accelerating. Atf leaking on the transmission because one of the bolts is not tightened...etc. I think this 2012 Honda Civic models should be recall by american Honda Motors. You can check the internet how many people are complaining and dealer said it was normal!!!"????" it is very annoying. I am only concern about my safety and the safety of my family. I hope the us goverment should do something about it. Thank you.

- Greenfield, CA, USA

Sep 022013

Civic

Sudden acceleration: I have been observing that the vehicle suddenly accelerates while driving downhill or merging on the highway. I have also noticed that it will accelerate when you turn off the cruise control. The speed is uncontrollable for few seconds before the engine starts the deceleration. I have taken a vehicle to the dealer twice and they have assured that this is normal function since check engine light is not on. The vehicle is 1.5 years old and has @15K miles on it.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Jun 262013

Civic

As I was driving to work at 4:30 am in heavy fog I hit a deer that was standing in the road. I noticed as I got out of the vehicle the car said something about the airbag sensor, well I didn't think nothing of it as I was worried about the condition my car was in at the time. Well the body shop that fixed my car stated the airbag should have 100% deployed due to the fact the sensor was busted and the wire was completely into. My concern is why in the world did the airbag not deploy" I am glad it didn't but what if it had been a collision with a car. Would the airbags not deploy and I take a chance on dying because of faulty airbags? I am really upset about this situation. I do not feel safe driving this car now...and I loved this car and one reason I bought this was because of safety..but now I do not know if I made the right choice. Now the car is "fixed" the check airbag and emission system light is on. I am taking it to Honda as soon as I can, but I am driving this car without seat belt working and the airbags not working...can someone please help me with this" thank you...

- Pikeville, TN, USA

Apr 152013

Civic

First purchase brand new 2012 Honda Civic in November 2011, ran really great for first six thousand miles. Just under ten thousand I notice gas mileage got a lot worse and the check emission light comes on. Take it in to shop and they say oh thermostat is bad. Well thought strange at time car is new. Then at just under 14000 miles gas mileage is bad and engine revs at high RPM's check emission light comes on again. This time it was a software update"?? well then at under 17000 miles check emission light again and this time in shop for three weeks. Thermostat again. Try calling american Honda and I get the sales manager who needs an attitude adjustment, and he says there is nothing wrong with my car. Then I am told by the service shop that this in no way has harmed anything and they replace thermo again run some test and still runs hot so they do it again and still runs hot and then Honda decides on a different thermostat that hasn't been released yet and install it. Well three weeks later I get my car and all I asked for was an extended warranty and they send me one that they want me to sign to release the of any powertrain issues and cooling issues. Cooling issues I understand but powertrain really I thought there was nothin wrong with my car???? all this time I am dealing with the rudest american Honda company customer service. Really upsets someone spend there hard earned money every month on a car payment and its like going to the store and paying for moldy bread. Not one time do they think about the consumer. Also interesting when picking car up on Friday they have another 2012 Civic low miles in shop for same issue. I live in a town in wv with 28,000 people and 1 Honda dealer coincidence"

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Feb 142012

Civic

While turning left at a stop light (from a stationary position), the car stalls after 2 or 3 seconds in oncoming traffic. This has happened multiple times. The dealer's service department says they can find no history of such situations in their database and took no action. The problem occurs very frequently, particularly after idling for an extended period at long stop lights.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 092013

Civic 4-cyl

When I am about to go downhill and take an exit at 40 mph after driving at constant speed of 65 mph for some time I see this problem. RPM is suddenly spiking up from 1500 to 2500 and stays there for at least 5 seconds. Hit brakes or gas does not bring it down. Good thing is the speed of the vehicle is not going up. That's the good sign but who knows what happens. I thought this was the problem with econ drive but I turned it off about 3 months now and still having the same issue.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Feb 152012

Civic 4-cyl

I bought a fully loaded 2012 Honda Civic si sedan, with navigation. Car was wonderful first few weeks, then the issues started. When I engaged the clutch into 1st gear, also reverse, when I would level the clutch with the gas pedal, I would hear a high pitch noise. Kind of like a squeal. In all types of conditions. It is worse in the snow, rain, up a hill, and what not. I took it to my local Honda dealership, the tech testdrove it with me. He heard the noise, he said that he heard it. He thinks it was something hitting the clutch-plate. He said oh Honda is not gong to fix this due to your style of driving I said excuse me" he said well there is no need to have an intake, and an exhaust. By the magnuson-moss warranty act of 1975 it states: If a vehicle is bought new, and you put aftermarket parts on it, just because there are aftermarket parts, it does not void the warranty. If the dealership realizes the issue, and just verbally says they can't fix it due to the parts, without even lifting the car up, that is illegal. They have to find the issue, and say why the aftermarket parts are affecting the clutch. I then called the dealership owners son, he said email me the issues, and the VIN. I did, he forwarded it to the customer service manager. When he received the email, there was a corporate Honda representative there. He read my email, and said that they need to look at it. The manager called me, said he received the email that I sent the owner, he said they have to re-make the sound again, even tho they heard it, and put me threw the ringer again. There are also alot of parts inside that need to be replaced. So I have an appointment next Tuesday, hopefully for them to see the issues. There are many people on forums for the 12 si, 9th gen, that are complaining also. The Honda rep said that it was normal in many clutches to hear a high pitched noise"

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Jul 172012

Civic 4-cyl

When the car is parked in a downward slope facing down, and you engage the reverse gear, the car rolls forward. This is especially difficult to control if you are parked in a tight spot and you will roll and hit the car in front of you. We reported this to Honda corporation and they said that this is normal behavior. I do not agree, since my other car (different make/model) does not perform the same.

- Independence, KY, USA

May 122012

Civic 4-cyl

During test drive and multiple times since, engine bogs down or stalls when accelerating in traffic. Honda service dept. Checked car and found no apparent problems. Car has been returned several times with no satisfaction. Service manager said the hesitation was due to a safety feature that disengages the accelerator when touching the brake. Several times the car has stalled with no use of brakes. This "safety feature" is a safety hazard. My wife and I have almost been involved in several accidents because car stalls in traffic. This is a definite "safety hazard".

- Lexington, SC, USA