1.5

2006 Honda Ridgeline electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Ridgeline:

2006 Honda Ridgeline Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 112015

Ridgeline

My husband was driving the vehicle when it caught fire and was totaled. There was a recall on the vehicle due to recall#10-012 which involved the blower motor in the dashboard catching fire. It was repaired by Honda on 5/4/10. Either the work was not done or the repair did not work. Liberty mutual determined that the cause was the recalled blower motor and paid us for a total loss but did not subrogate against Honda due to the expiration of an "implied warranty" on the recall repair (more than 4 years). If their repair did not solve the problem on this vehicle, it is doubtful whether other vehicles on the road were resolved any better. My fear is that god forbid my grandchildren were in the back of the vehicle at the time, they would have been injured. This is a family vehicle and my fear is that children riding in similar models from Honda could be at risk. Is there a process to determine whether Honda's fix took care of the problem or are these vehicles susceptible to neglect on the part of Honda? what is the follow-up procedure on "repaired" recalls

- Melville, NY, USA

Aug 292016

• 1,500,000 miles
HVAC motor stopped working. Looked it up online and found recall for HVAC wiring harness was issued. I purchased vehicle on 7/22/2011 (used) recall said Honda would replace bad parts and install a cover to prevent passenger from kicking blower motor. There is no such cover. Local Honda dealer says truck was serviced on 6/20/2011 by previous owner and all recalled parts replaced. I do not believe this truck was repaired at all even though they say it was and if it was why is there no cover? now the same parts recalled have failed again and I do not think it is right that I have to pay them $500 to repair it.

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Jul 012016

Ridgeline

Takata recall we have been notified of the problem with both driver and passenger airbags. As of this date we have been told the parts are not available to make the repair. I am afraid of driving my Ridgeline for fear of injury or death. The same goes for the passenger airbag.. also the electrical system could cause a fire. Honda needs to rectify these issues as soon as possible, before someone is injured or killed! they need to fix or replace this vehicle or exchange it for a safe one.

- Palmetto, FL, USA

Feb 052014

Ridgeline 4WD 6-cyl

I own 2006 Ridgeline my radio back-light keeps coming off and on when I turn on the headlights it goes out when you turn the headlights off it comes on. Sometimes when driving the light will flicker then it will come and stay on, cannot see the time now I have no light.

- Hiram, GA, USA

Nov 032014

Ridgeline

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. The contact stated that the service engine sensor, vtm sensor, ESC sensor, and the air bag sensor intermittently illuminated and flashed. The failure worsened and all four sensors remained illuminated while the vehicle was in motion. In addition, the all wheel drive was not functioning properly. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who reset the code. When the three failure codes came back, it was diagnosed that one of the three banks needed to be replaced for the catalytic converter on the front driver side. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V700000 (air bags), 14V353000 (air bags), and 14V351000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 173,000.

- Wisconsin Bells, WI, USA

Oct 192014

Ridgeline 6-cyl

When I first bought this vehicle I had a problem with it at 41,000 miles. The fan motor dial would not turn on correctly. I could be driving then if I hit a bump in the road the fan motor would turn on. Now you have to play with it until it turns on to it won't work at all. I think it may have something to do with the wiring because my inside lights don't work right as well. Map light one side works and the other doesn't. I replaced parts and it still doesn't work.

- New Britain, CT, USA

Apr 022013

Ridgeline

Passenger door locks will not unlock leaving children unable to get out of car in case of emergency.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Jan 302012

Ridgeline 6-cyl

My odometer 'hangs' and does not update the display to reflect the fact that I'm driving. Pressing the button to scroll to tripa and tripb and oil life does nothing. Then the door open indicator also 'hangs'. sometimes after the engine is restarted the display comes back to normal with updated mileage. This seems to be a common problem for 2006 Honda Ridgeline (as I did research on internet) and repair requires replacement of the instrument cluster that runs around $1000. It seems that almost all complains are related to 2006 model, with few single posts related to 2007 model.

- Fairfield, NJ, USA

Aug 012011

Ridgeline 6-cyl

The remote entry system has failed. Initially the electronic key would not open doors other than the drivers side. Now it will not even open the drivers side. There is no change using the spare electronic key. A new battery was installed in the every day electronic key and no change. The panic button is also no longer functional.

- Severn, MD, USA

Apr 152007

Ridgeline 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I was notified of a possible recall for the odometer being defective but when I brought it to my dealer I was told that my truck was not affected yet my odometer has been off since day one which does not seem to matter to the dealer, the odometer always has read up too 10 miles more per tank full of gas then my gps unit does which in a week can ad up to 40 miles extra on the odometer that I have not yet traveled. How can I get my odometer and mileage corrected? thank you.

- Baltic, CT, USA

Jan 152011

Ridgeline

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact noticed a burning odor as smoke began escaping from the the passenger side vent and defroster. The contact then noticed a flame coming from the passenger side vent. The contact stopped the vehicle at the shoulder of the road where the fire department reported to the scene. A police report was filed and the vehicle was destroyed. The insurance company determined that the failure was electrical. The vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V001000 (electrical system: Instrument panel) yet the contact had not received the recall notice before the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 152007

Ridgeline

I own a 2006 Honda Ridgeline that I purchased when it was new. Right after it was out of warranty all of my heat/A/C controls stopped working, you actually have to push in the knob & twist or bang it to make the motor come on and then it is only at one speed- either that speed or off and it turns on & off for the length of the trip when ever it wants. The dealer states that they need to replace the whole control console which will cost well over $1,000! this should be a safety recall considering that there must be a wire issue in this vehicle. Also, I know that there was a recall on the heat/A/C and brought mine in for that recall but was told that mine was not part of the group- is this the same problem? I also saw that there was a recall on the odometers and brought mine in for that recall only to be told that my truck was not part of that recall but my odometer is always counting at least 25 miles more per tank full of gas then what I actually have driven. Therefore my warranty expired so fast because of this issue and I was told that my truck was not involved in the recall even though I pointed out that I have a gps unit, always have had one and everytime that I gas up I check the poor gas mileage that I get and they never are even close, as I stated around 25 miles off each tank full!! none of my doors will unlock when the truck is placed into park and I complained abouit this and was told that this is a safety part of teh truck, the kids can not open a door, my kids are over 18 yrs old, please tell me how to correct this issue so that my passangers can get out in case of an emergency!

- Baltic, CT, USA

Jul 102010

Ridgeline

My 2006 Honda Ridgeline started blinking off and on at the odometer area. Now it comes on when it wants to. I have read two other complaints of this same nature by two other people. My only other complaint is the computer went out while it was under warranty an the dealer took care of this.

- Greenville, IN, USA

Dec 152010

Ridgeline 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Honda Ridgeline which I purchased new from the Honda dealership in hempstead, New York. On December 15, 2010, I was driving on utopia parkway in queens, New York when I noticed a burning smell. I had the heat on and turned it off. I pulled over to check where the smell was coming from. I saw smoke coming from the glove compartment area, I immediately called 911. When I opened the hood, there were flames coming from the same area. I have reported this to Honda. After doing some research online, I find that this same thing has happened to a number of 2006/2007 Honda Ridgeline owners. It is obvious there is some kind of defect and not just a coincidence. I am waiting for Honda to get back to me.

- Elmont, NY, USA

Jan 192006

Ridgeline

I had a 2006 Honda Ridgeline that had passenger side dashboard fire.

- Great Neck, NY, USA

Feb 052010

Ridgeline

After shutting off the Ridgeline I filled the fuel tank. Upon starting the vehicle again the yellow engine emission display light was lit and the navigation system/radio displayed a notice requiring a code. The code was entered after finding the code location in the manual. Within a few minutes of driving on the freeway, we started smelled hot or burning or melting electric wire insulation. The windows were opened to vent the smell. It soon cleared up. We stopped at the next exit to inspect the vehicle. We could not locate the source of the melting wire smell. After about three more engine stop/start cycles, the engine emission warning display light went off. The Honda dealer service person said they had not heard of this problem.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Nov 052009

Ridgeline

On 5 Nov 09, I attended a business meeting in deerfield beach. When I was ready to return to West palm beach, I turned on the truck ignition to start it and it made a couple of clicks and nothing happened. I automatically assumed it was the battery since it was over four years old and the hot weather in Florida takes its toll on batteries. I also noticed that the instrument cluster did not light up when I attempted to start it but I thought it was because the battery was dead. I called aaa and they arrived an hour later and jump started the vehicle. The engine turned over several times like it wasn't getting enough fuel but then started on the second attempt. The aaa representative agreed that he thought the battery was dead and needed replaced. I started to leave and noticed the instrument cluster still did not light up except for the battery display, the vtm display and one other display I cannot remember. I immediately drove to the dealership and explained what had happened and after significant troubleshooting it was determined that the instrument cluster somehow shorted out and needed to be replaced to the tune of $900+.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

May 102009

Ridgeline

Fan went out, appears that wiring to fan overheated.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 082009

Ridgeline

The ac fan ceased to function. Dealer said wire supplying power to ac fan had burned through, thus preventing power to fan motor. Dealer said it needed a new wiring harness. Burning wire inside dash is a potential fire hazard.

- Isle Of Palms, SC, USA

Oct 022009

Ridgeline

During vehicle start up a heavy smell of burning plastic was noted. Took the vehicle in and they discovered that a fire occurred along the drivers side of the engine compartment, melting the powersteering assembly, wire harnesses and power steering hose. I am collecting information and dampened components to take to the Honda dealership for examination.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA