1996 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Hyundai Elantra:

1996 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

May 162008

Elantra 1.9L

It seems the leak has progressed in the last year to a full blown pain in the ass. I'm going through 3 qts. a week. I added dye and can see oil dripping on tranny case and around left front axle. Above this on back of engine there is a plastic cylinder (I think it's vacuum related) and I see oil has been sprayed or leaked on it, not on top, but on the front side and bottom of it. Believ me when i say it's a pain because I can't seem to find it. One would think 3 qts. a week Ray Charles could see it. I did a valve and head job in June but all my gaskets are new and they do not leak from anywhere we can see.

So, has anyone come across this, and could you suggest anything? Twelve dollars a week for oil is almost as bad as the gas prices. The good part is the oil never gets dirty (smile).

- , Rochester, NY, USA