1. car totaled/ i now have tbi . (1 reports)
1997 Hyundai Elantra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Hyundai Elantra:

1997 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

May 182015

Elantra GLS

click to see larger images

airbag failed to deploy airbag failed to deploy airbag failed to deploy

1997 Hyundai Elantra, my car got totaled on 5/18/2015. I received a concussion and joint pain all over for months from a collision that happened this day. My airbag failed to deploy. I was going 40 to 45 mph when a van made a right hand turn in front of me. Her fault, I slammed on my brakes, but it was too late to do any good. My head hit the steering wheel. I am still having problems. I had no warning indicator light before this happened.

I contacted NHTSA on 5/19/15 made a complaint. I called Hyundai motor company who finally came and looked at the car before it was taken by the insurance, due to it being totaled. It wouldn't even start. Hyundai totally dismissed it and contradicted themselves in the letter they sent me. They said the car did what it was supposed to do. Really? I now have post concussion syndrome. Ptsd. I replay this over and over in my head.

There needs to be a class action and recall for this. I don't have my vehicle anymore but the scars are still there because of Hyundai. An airbag is supposed to protect you during a collision. Failure to deploy is a failure and not doing what it was supposed to do. Hyundai has already recalled other vehicles with the same problem or glitch. It won't be too late for them.

Update from Mar 8, 2016: This has changed my life. I now have a TBI. Car Safety Crash and this car got a A or 3 stars.. This is ridiculous! My car is gone, I got nothing but Brain injury from this!! INVESTIGATION NEEDS TO HAPPEN!!

- , Louisville, KY, USA