1998 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Hyundai Elantra:

1998 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Sep 142000

While using cruise control and going up a hill, the overdrive goes off like it is supposed to. After cresting the hill, the overdrive does not re-engage until sometimes 1/2 mile (even going down hill). This leaves the engine running at 4000rpm (normal is about 2500rpm). Dangerous? probably to someone not expecting it.

- Joelton, TN, USA

Jul 231999

I have terrible mileage on this car and dealer gave me incorrect warranty information. I was told that with my model I would get a 10 year transmission warranty. Today, I was told by the manufacturer that I am only entitled to a 5 year warranty on the 98 Elantras.

- W. Hemsptead, NY, USA