7.5

1. replaced track (3 reports)
2000 Hyundai Elantra windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Hyundai Elantra:

2000 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Oct 152008

Elantra

Both my rear windows will not stay up unless I tape them. Which I have to change 2 to 3 times a year because of the weather. I heard the windows were held up by plastic. I can't afford to pay to fix them and my warranty ran out just before they fell down.

- , Schenectady, NY, USA

Oct 032007

Elantra GLS 2.0L

these window regulators are junk! Ive replaced all four windows now but this one (83402-29031) was the most expensive at $231, the others were only $175 each. What makes it bad is it starts happening just out of warranty so your pretty much screwed. I did them myself to save money I feel for those who would have to spend the extra to have the dealer replace these lousy pieces of junk!

- , Austin, TX, USA

Sep 272007

Elantra

We have had the Elantra for 7 years, and for the most part it has been great. The only problem has been with the power windows. During the first 5 years (under the warranty) ALL FOUR power window regulators have broken, requiring a 30 minute trip to the dealership and leaving the car for at least a day.

Since the warranty has been up (about 18 months now) the rear left window has broken again (EXACT same problem as the previous 4 times) and the dealership wants $470 to repair. The front left is about to break as well. This is clearly a design/manufacturing flaw and is absolutely ridiculous that they aren't taking care of this for their consumers!

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 182007

Elantra

The first time my window track broke I was on vacation. When I came back, the rear drivers side window had fallen down about 2 inches. (Luckily it hadn't rained!) I replaced the track with a used one from a salvage yard. A few months later, the driver side door track broke. I replaced that one also with one from a salvage yard. That one only lasted about a month before it broke again. So I bought one straight from a Hyundai dealership. Then shortly after, the rear driver side one broke AGAIN. I replaced it with one from the dealership too. So far, both have held up.... I'm crossing my fingers! All in all, I'd say I've spent nearly $300 replacing these stupid things. FYI... the front windows cost more to replace than the rear. I just can't help but wonder why on Earth they would make something that is used so frequently out of PLASTIC!!!

- , Irvine, KY, USA