2001 Hyundai Elantra suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Hyundai Elantra:

2001 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 122015

My 2001 Elantra had a recall on front control arms.this recall was limited to snowbelt states.the recall says control arms may corrode due to water and salt being trapped inside control arm and may break.their solution was to replace if needed or drill drainage hole to allow water to escape and treat to prevent further car had the drill and treat solution but the control arm broke anyway.luckily the car was being driven at a slow speed when the break occurred, if the car was at highway speed, serious injury or death could have been the result.Hyundai admits to the defect but is saying that since the recall was repaired it is no longer an issue.the control arms should have replaced from the beginning but instead they took the cheap way out.I will repair the car and try to recover the money from Hyundai as a repeat recall.Hyundai should replace all the control arms on cars that are affected before someone gets hurt.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Jun 052013

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 25 mph, the rear control arm fractured. The contact stated that upon further inspection, it was found that the rear control arm had extensive rust and corrosion due to moisture. The vehicle was not able to be driven and was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V125000 (suspension). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

Apr 042015

Elantra 4-cyl

I turned out of parking lot heard a click or something next thing I know my car starting swaying back and forth car almost flipped with myself and minor child in it. I had to drive it to a save place almost flipped car few times. The car was swaying extremely hard to steer. Have it towed to a Hyundai dealer and they inspected it said it was subframe. Aren't willing to fix it eventhough that make a model was recalled for front subframe.I called Consumer Affairs was told by them they could fix it considering I almost died. Hyundai dealer isn't willing.telling me a I have to pay $1200 for. Subframe cuz mine rotted. I M getting a lawyer cuz I think this is terrible it was recalled on front I was told they would fix it now they wont. Safety issue what would of happened if I died or wrecked and killed someone.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Mar 092015

The rear axle came off of the car while driving due to corrosion from rust.

- Grand Rapids , MI, USA

Dec 192014

Elantra 4-cyl

I went to change oil and they advised me to change the front control alarms because they were very rusted and bad.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 012014

2001 Hyundai Elantra. Consumer writes in regards to rear control arm problems. The consumer stated his son, had just come off the interstate, when the rear control arm broke away from the cross member, causing him to loose control of the vehicle.

Dec 122012

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle started to shake violently back and forth. An independent mechanic inspected the vehicle and stated that the rear cross members were corroded, causing the control arm to become detached from the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 102,000...updated 12-26-13

Sep 062013

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph and attempting to make a U-turn, there was a loud screeching noise emitted outside of the vehicle with a sudden loss of power steering assist. The contact was able to regain control of the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and found that the front driver's side tire had become detached from the vehicle, causing the front end to collapse. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where the front axle and lower control arm were both replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 09V125000 (suspension); however the contact's VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Capitol Heights, MD, USA

Sep 052013

I was making a U turn when I heard a loud noise, I was unable to control my car seem to be drifting to one side until I hit a curb... when I got out of the car to see what happen I notice that my wheel was turned inwards and the control arm was broken and the axle had popped out... no one was injured however my daughter was shaking up about what happen... I took several pictures of the wheel and rusty part.. it amazed me how metal could rust that bad and break in half... I thank god I was not on the highway when this happen no telling what could have happen...I called Hyundai dealership to explain what happen also to find out if there was a recall on that part and was told there was no recall on 2001 Hyundai Elantra...

- Capitol Heights , MD, USA

Sep 252012

Elantra 4-cyl

Vehicle is garage kept in southwest Virginia, not a northern salty climate. Taken in for muffler repair and when put on lift the rear crossmember fell out. It had completely rusted through frame ! like I said this car is barely driven and we usually don't even get snow in the winter so there is not much salt if at all ! I have had my grandkids in the back of this car ! it's not just where the rear crossmember is that's rusted either ! talking about a rust bucket, you can peel layers and chunks of rusted metal off with your hands ! these cars should not even be allowed on the roads ! somebody is going to die from these ! after talking to some other Elantra owners they were not aware of this situation either but have found issues to be the same ! the front cradle was already replaced due to rust recall and crashes ! I guess Hyundai won't do anything cause our government won't make them ! I mean seriously think about it like this- would you put your kids or grandkids in this car ? I sure hope you don't have to ! I will never own another Korean vehicle as my Kia was the same way ! dangerously rusted and newer than the Hyundai ! please, please. Please save somebody's kids from failing through a rusty floor. Mine is so eaten up with rust I'm obligated to send it to the crusher. For gods sake if you own a Korean vehicle check more than your oil. I just wish we would have thought to !

- Bristol, VA, USA

Feb 272013

Elantra 4-cyl

Was exiting off of the parkway to the right traveling approx. 25- 30 mph when I lost control of the vehicles steering causing me to crash into the curb of the median. Resulting in both of the front tires to blow out and pushing the wheel on the drivers side back into the wheel well. The control arm was broken when we looked at the damage after. The vehicle which is a 2001 Hyundai Elantra had to be towed. Also the airbags did not deploy. I am looking into this recall for that vehicle. Mileage at time was 99,400.

- Salem, OR, USA

Dec 302012

Lost control of the steering of the vehicle but was able to avoid an accident and stop on the side of the road. Upon visual inspection, noticed that front driver's side control arm was rusted through and disintegrated. Wheel was basically detached from the car and folding up under the wheel well. This is a recall item in all northern states because the material rusts when exposed to road salt. Because I'm in North Carolina, the recall doesn't apply to my car. However, I live in the mountains of nc where the vehicle is exposed to road salt throughout the winter season. This vehicle needs to be included in the recall, as it's a serious safety issue.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jun 042002

Car shimmies really bad at 35 miles an hour replaced front brakes and rotors front struts tie rod ends both inner and outer to no avail I am sick of putting money in this piece of junk.

- Pottsville, PA, USA

Nov 052012

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact noticed that the vehicle had begun to fish tail. The contact inspected the rear sub frame and discovered that the frame was fractured and exhibited excessive corrosion. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 12/04/12 Hyundai agreed to pay for the parts only. The consumer paid for the labor. The consumer believed the corrosion was not normal, especially since the vehicle was garaged kept. Updated 12/05/12

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Dec 302011

Elantra 4-cyl

Driving down two lane secondary road making left merge into turning lane heard load bang then proceeded into a skid. Found front left wheel sticking out sideways, police arrived said that I was lucky not to have been on the highway, called aaa and the driver on the scene said I had broken my lower control arm. Came home googled issue and found recall campaign no. 09V125000 and called the Hyundai number to report incident. Called aaa to tow car from home to the dealer recommended by the Hyundai hotline. Did notice plenty of corrosion where the break was....scary situation, not hurt just shook-up.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 122011

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact heard a noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. Suddenly the front driver's side of the vehicle collapsed to the ground which caused the tire to completely deflate. The failure was contributed to the fractured lower control arm. The vehicle was towed to the residence. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. Two years previously, the vehicle was repaired for a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 09V125000 (suspension: Front: Control arm); however the remedy temporarily corrected the problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Sep 042010

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. While driving 25 mph, the steering became uncontrollable and the wheel began moving right to left. The contact was able to regain control and coasted to the side of the road; when she inspected, she saw that both front tires were turn inward. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the wheel bearings, power steering, struts and lug nuts needed to be replaced. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was approximately 138,000.

- North Versailles , PA, USA

Aug 112009

Extreme corrosion led to catastrophic failure of the left-side wheel control arm. Right side control arm was also corroded.

- Croton-On-Hudson, NY, USA

Jul 202009

2001 Hyundai Elantra both of the control arms snapped took to dealer told it was due to the age of the car, (7 years) could have been killed had it happen at a greater speed. Hyundai Canada has a recall for this very problem. Someone is going to get killed. Please look into this before it happens, if it hasn't already.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Sep 152007

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 15 mph on normal road conditions, the contact heard a noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. Suddenly, there was a loss of steering control and extreme difficulty in operating the vehicle. The driver pulled over and called roadside assistance. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for inspection and the technician stated that the failure was related to the driver's side lower control arm. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 60,000 and current mileage was 83,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA