2.9

hardy worth mentioning

2002 Hyundai Elantra electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Elantra:

2002 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Dec 222010

Elantra 4-cyl

I have replaced my headlights approximately nine times since purchase.

- Milford, CT, USA

Mar 172009

Elantra

February 2009 I received a recall notice pertaining to my Hyundai Elantra 2002-the electrical wiring under the drivers seat having something to do with the airbag deployment. I took my car in and they did the recall work and no problem. Next morning, I go out to my car and turn the key and it is dead!!! nothing !!! so I gave it the all or nothing jiggle of this that and the other thing-and alas! it started. I brushed it off as a fluke-this has now happened four times within a month and today it is still sitting where I parked it this morning. I called the Hyundai dealer twice today just to pick his brains and give me some idea as to what it might be causing this-the battery is new, tried jumping it earlier today. The shifter does not seem like it wants to move at all even depressing the brake pedal-the mechanic suggested it might be the electronic switch for the shifter-this made sense since the wiring correction is located in the same general area. Perhaps others are experiencing this same thing.

- East Falmouth, MA, USA

May 262008

Elantra

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled, lost power steering and there were no warning lights illuminated on the dashboard. The fuel gauge also failed to operate normally. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer. The technician performed diagnostic testing and was unable to detect the failure; however, the vehicle began operating normally. On two separate occasions an independent mechanic tightened a component on the computer system and adjusted the relay switch. The vehicle currently is not operable and has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 48,200 and the current mileage was unavailable.

- Deerfield Beach, FL, USA

Jul 012005

Elantra 4-cyl

My clock in the dashboard blinks and loses time. I took the car to the dealership and was told that the wiring harnesses in the doors of the car had corroded and caused shortages occasionally in the dashboard. I was told this could affect the clock, the dashboard lights, and possibly the headlights. We have also had problems with our headlights staying on after they were turned off and the key was removed from the ignition. The cost of this job would be $900. I'm just very concerned that I will be driving at night and my headlights or dashboard lights will fail, causing a very dangerous situation.

- Lansing, MI, USA

May 092005

Elantra 4-cyl

2002 Elantra has been blowing bulbs since the car was 2wks. I have replaced all bulbs in the car appox. 40times. Hyundai has replaced bulbs and now even charges me for bulbs I have been fighting this for 3 years now. Hyundai says there is no short. Meanwhile my trunk alarm has never worked. Manfrediy where I bought the car new said the factory installed alarm does not alarm the trunk. Guiffre Hyundai said the trunk was alarmed and just doesnt work. Give me a break, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that there is a damn short in the car. The regional office did nothing and did not even meet with me. I was told to call an arbitation comp.more time lost I ssent them $350 in bills that I paid on the out side to replace bulbs and thats not counting the bulbs that Hyundai had the nerve to charge me. Now today I get a letter that my car is too old to go through arbitration. Hyundai just jerked me around and I will be stuck with the bills and continue to pay for bulbs. I cant think of anything else to do except go to the media. If you have any help you can give me. I would greatly appreciate it.Hyundai also expected me to make an appointment everytime a bulb or bulbs blew. They would have had the car more than me if that was the case. They have insulted my intelligence. And have lost me for a future customer. And the problem is, I really love my car and the way it drives. If only it would not keep shorting out

- Staten Island, NY, USA