2002 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Elantra:

2002 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Oct 072013

Elantra GT 2.0L

I'm driving a manual (stick shift) 2002 Elantra GT hatchback. Pulled up to a stop light, engaged in 2nd gear, behind other cars and I slowed down and put the car into neutral. As soon as I had it in neutral the car began to spike in RPMS from it's idle speed of 750 to about 3500. It did this over and over like I was taunting the driver in front of me. I'm happy the car was in neutral!!!

I tapped the accelerator (gas) pedal to see if that would un-stick it or stop the issue, it didn't. I was worried that the car had a accelerator problem so I remember saying to myself HAVE MECHANIC LOOKS AT THAT! To make the car stop this sudden, up and down RPM spike, i turned the car off and started it back up again. That seemed to make it stop...for now. Again, my mechanic and Hyundai will hear about this. Very scary!

- , Somerville, MA, USA