1. drilled head and replaced head gasket (2 reports)
  2. engine replacement needed (1 reports)
2002 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Elantra:

2002 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Jun 132007

Elantra GT 2.0L V$

looks like a theme is developing...two weeks after an oil change I blew my head without any leak coming out of the car onto the driveway- somehow the engine just internally burnt off all the coolant- I drove for about 3 km after I saw the smoke which I admit was dumb but how it happened in the first place I have no clue. -Sticking with Honda from now on.

- , Burlington, ON, Canada

Apr 252008

Elantra GT 2.0L

Car was recently serviced in February. No indication of problems. Still not sure of the cause for overheating but antifreeze was all over. Dealer mechanic said due to high temps, the engine is not repairable. He offered repair with used 32,000 mile engine - all work will cost $3,600. The car isn't worth much more so I don't know if I'll fix it or purchase a newer car. Up until this, the car has be trouble free.

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 222006

Elantra XD 2.0

My car overheated and it became obvious that it was a blown head gasket. The radiator was also damaged. In the processes of getting new head bolts I talked to a mechanic who let me know that there was a problem with some heads. The holes for the water circulation within the head were not drilled deep enough causing overheating. I confirmed that this was a problem with my head as I prepared it for the new head gasket. The restriction affected three cylinders. I carefully drilled the holes to allow water flow. Upon reassembly every thing seems to be working right. This was obviously manufacturing defect and the cost should have been covered by the manufacturer. Unfortunately my warranty period had expired. other mechanics should be made aware of this problem so that their repair will be effective.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA