2.4

2002 Hyundai Elantra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Elantra:

2002 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Jul 072015

Elantra

Engine stops suddenly almost creating accident. Cause ?

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Aug 212014

Elantra 4-cyl

After refueling, the car has difficulty starting. The car stall like it has flooded. After numerous attempts trying to start the car (the car sputters), it finally starts. There are several other Hyundai Elantra owners in this area have the same problem. The car initial started with difficulty refueling. After putting in 0.25 - $1 worth of gasoline, the pump would click off. Refueling could take up to 5-10 minutes to fill the tank. I have spent over $500 dollars trying to fix the problem. I have called Hyundai of America and received little to no assistance.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 202014

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 232012

Elantra

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while refueling, gasoline spewed out of the filler neck. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 90,000.

- Boyton Beach, FL, USA

Jan 102013

Elantra

The contact owns 2002 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated whenever refueling the vehicle, the fuel would overflow and spray out of the filler neck onto the side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the failure was contributed to the fuel tank carbon canister. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 66,500.

- Lauderhill, FL, USA

May 032012

Elantra 4-cyl

My fuel tank assembly valve. It takes me a very long time to pump gas because the car shuts the pump off like my tank is already full. I even had gas spill out while I was still pumping. I started to become very concerned when I did a little research on this particular incident. What really got me concerned is when it said if this problem is not taken care of, if I were to get into an accident and my car overturned, it could potentially catch a fire! I have two children, and god forbid something like this happen when im in my car with my children.

- Adelanto, CA, USA