2004 Hyundai Elantra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Hyundai Elantra:

2004 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 012008

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Elantra. While the vehicle was driving in reverse, the air bags deployed for no reason. The contact's husband injured his hand. The dealer stated the vehicle was in a crash, which is why the air bags deployed even though the occupants of the vehicle claim that there was no crash. The speed was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 46,000. Updated 03-04-08 the consumer was informed the bumper was damaged.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 032007

Elantra

During a crash totaling my 2004 Hyundai Elantra none of the airbags deployed.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Nov 272006

Elantra 4-cyl

Driving South on hwy. SUV hit car from behind SUV traveling at est. Speed of 90-100 mph. Pushed car 300 ft. Spinning around and around hit medium my car equipped with four air bags none of them deployed I would like to know why?

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

Aug 252006

Elantra

Excerpts from my letter to Hyundai passenger airbag off light continues to illuminate in spite of the fact that there is an adult passenger in the front seat. A few weeks ago, I received your brochure in the mail regarding important information about the advanced airbags in my Elantra, and realized that this clearly describes the situation with my vehicle. The service manager said he knew nothing about the brochure and letter I received, he told me they could not find a problem with the passenger airbag and showed me that they had already addressed a previous recall with the airbag about a year ago. The service manager then spoke again to the mechanic who was working on my vehicle and the mechanic told him that he was able to recreate the problem as I had described it. According to the invoice I received for the services performed on Friday, August 25, 2006, the dealership did a reflashing. Today, I had an adult passenger in the car and the passenger airbag off light remained illuminated each time the passenger was in the front seat. I have several points of concern: 1. the dealership knew nothing about this situation when I first walked in and had to read the information I provided from Hyundai 2. even after reading the information, the dealership did not understand that there was something that needed to be resolved. 3. even though the service mechanic stated that he was able to recreate the problem (I.e. a passenger in the front seat and the passenger airbag off light remained illuminated) a situation that would warrant OCS reprogramming, the situation remains unchanged! 4. what happens in the scenario of an unfortunate accident in which the passenger airbag needs to be deployed and the passenger airbag off light is illuminated in spite of my effort to follow your direction to have it fixed? the answer to #4 from my perspective is clear.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Apr 052006

Elantra 4-cyl

: the contact stated that in the owner's manual it indicated that a weight of greater than 56.4 pounds in the front passenger seat will turn off the air bag indicator light, and allow the frontal and side air bags to deploy in the event of a crash. There have been occupants in the passenger seat who weigh greater than the limit, but the indicator will not turn off, therefore the air bags probably would not engage during an accident. The vehicle was taken to a service dealer who was unable to locate the defect, however the passenger seat was replaced. The replacement did not correct the problem. There is a NHTSA recall # 03V322000 which relates to the air bags however the vehicle was not included in the recall due to the VIN. Updated 8/1/2006 -

- Cheboygan, MI, USA

Feb 012006

Elantra 4-cyl

I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra. It had a recall on the airbag sensor. I have taken it back two times to be fixed. This will be the third. It comes on and off regardless if anyone is in the seat or not. Each time I take it back they say it is fixed. I am afraid if I am in a wreck it will not work if someone is sitting there.

- Florence, KY, USA

Jun 092006

Elantra 4-cyl

: the contact stated the passenger air bag (OCS system) is suppose to activate when an adult is sitting in the seat and not activate when a child is sitting in the seat. The OCS system will not activate for the owner of the vehicle when sitting in the seat properly. The dealership determined the driver is less than 120 pounds which is the reason the OCS will not activate. The contact contends this information is not listed in the handbook and the contact was not informed of this when the vehicle was purchased.

- Lillian, AL, USA

Feb 252006

Elantra 4-cyl

: the contact stated the passenger side air bag sensors were reprogrammed on two occasions. The sensors are still not working properly. If a small stature person is sitting in the front passenger seat, the indicator light illuminates, indicating the air bag is turned off. There is a recall # 03V322000, concerning the air bags, however the recall did not correct the problem. The vehicle is having the same problems again. The dealer was notified and reprogrammed the osc electrical control unit. The dealer stated the person sitting in the front passenger seat must sit in a certain manor for the sensor to be activated.

- Selden, NY, USA

Feb 012006

Elantra 4-cyl

2004 Elantra passenger side air bag remained on. The consumer was not satisfied with the recall work that was performed on the vehicle regarding the airbag. The consumer stated when the passenger seat was occupied the passenger air bag off light stayed illuminated.

- Glen Jean, WV, USA

Dec 262005

Elantra

Was involved in a head on collision at 30 mph. The airbags never deployed. Is there a speed at which the airbags are supposed to deploy?

- Hicksville, NY, USA

Nov 062004

Elantra 4-cyl

The front airbag off light stays on even when the front passenger, usually my niece who weighs 130 pounds, occupies the seat. There was a recall on the airbags, but it did not specify this problem. So many complaints about this sensor should be looked in to.

- Talbott, TN, USA

Jan 102005

Elantra

2004 Elantra OCS system modification.** answer required***. the air bag light illuminated on and off intermittently when the front passenger seat was occupied by an adult who met the weight requirements.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Jan 122005

Elantra 4-cyl

2004 Hyundai Elantra seat belts broke. The vehicle was hit by another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The seat belts broke and tore out. Another vehicle hit the consumer head on. The drivers side passenger front bumper sensor was inoperative.

- Woodside , NY, USA

Feb 012005

Elantra 4-cyl

The consumer stated she was having problems with her air bag light. She says that if someone is sitting in the passenger seat, the air bag light switch will say passenger air bag off, and if no one is sitting in the seat it says the same thing. This problem occurs 80 percent of the time the car is in use and has been going on since the purchase of the vehicle. The consumer has reported this to Hyundai and they stated it was the way the person was sitting in the seat. The dealer has received numerous complaints and the manufacturer tells them not to fix it.

- Freeport, ME, USA

Jun 272004

Elantra 4-cyl

My 2004 Hyundai Elantra passenger airbag is not enabled even when a passenger with twice the advertised minimum required weight occupies the seat. A Hyundai bulletin tells passengesr to sit stiff like a mannequin to activate sensors to enable the bag, but that's not practical. Hyundai also offers to reprogram the sensors to require less weight, in conjunction with deactivating (permanantly shutting off) the "passenger air bag off" light. But there's no reason to believe that lowering the programmed weight will enable the bags since it already doesn't come on with 130 pounds but is supposed to come on at 56 pounds. Disabling the "passenger air bag off" light is only an effort to make occupants unaware as to if the bags are enabled or not and thereby lessen the burden for Hyundai. Owners should not expect a solution any time soon since the technology does not exist that keeps the airbags on when an adult passenger may squirm around, cross their legs, or even sit normally at times. A positive solution would be to recall the vehicles to install a keyed switch that can be toggled by the owner, and eliminate the sensors all together. At this point, any currently offered solution by Hyundai, which includes not sitting in the seat, or using another car, or sitting perfectly still, or having the "passenger air bag off" light disabled, is only designed to benefit the company and not the consumer, nor to make the bags work as advertised. Tspault@sbcglobal.net.

- Zeeland, MI, USA

Dec 172004

Elantra 6-cyl

The air bag light appeared on the dashboard and remained on while driving. Please fill in additional information.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 222004

Elantra

When the passenger seat was occupied, the air bag light intermittently illuminated and stayed on.

- West Babylon, NY, USA

Apr 292004

Elantra 4-cyl

Regarding: 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT this complaint is in regards to the passenger airbag. The 2004 Elantra contains a sensor in the seat that disables that passenger seat if the weight of the passenger is less than a certain weight. A "passenger air bag off" light illuminates to indicate when this is occurring. Since the date of purchase (4/29/2004), it has been found that this light illuminates with adult passenger's in this seat. This happens with a wide variety of individuals, some well over 150 lb. This problem has been in the news in the following locations that I have found: 1) June 24, 2004 edition of autotech daily (hampton autobeat llc) in an article entitled "Elantra smart airbag too smart?" 2) abc story: abcnews.go.com/business/story?id=89770&page=1 3) consumeraffairs.com: Ttp://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/hyundai_airbag.html as this is an issue that I found very troubling and unsafe, I would appreciate immediate assistance in resolving this problem. The vehicle has been taken to two (2) different Hyundai dealers for service, but according to them, the system is working as designed.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 012004

Elantra 4-cyl

My 19 years old daughter's weight is not less than 56.4 pound. It showed displayed "passenger airbag off" while the seat was occupied. I think the alignment of OCS is off. It needed to be adjusted according to the specifics set for 56.4 or less. I think the car setting is higher than 56.4 pounds. I took my car to my dealer during the 7500 mile service and I mentioned about this problem to service manager. I got a response from them on the invoice. Invoice says "tested system out working to factory specs" I was so upset that they don't be bother to check into the details. The hyundia representative, Ms. Muara T. dowd (district parts and service manager in jamesburg, NJ) gave me an opportunity to have a mechanic to show me what he have done. What I have observed him. He just plug his computer under the driver. And showed me the computer found no problem related to the airbag. That's all he do the job and leave. Not even bother to check into this matter. Ms. Dowd told me that she have something to fax me later on. I found out that they offered me to sign the waive some specifics related to liability related to reprogramming it. I felt it is not acceptable to do that. I got a fax from you regarding OCS reprogramming authorization. I think that it is not right for getting me to authorize for reprogramming. I think it needs to make a correct adjustment according to your company's specifics to 56 pounds or less. I think it is not right and I would like it to make the correction on this part. I researched this problem. What I found.... reference to the 2004 Elantra owner's manual section "occupant classification system" (section 1 - page 36-37). If the front passenger seat is unoccupied or occupied by someone lighter than 56.4 pounds (25.G kg) the indicator "passenger airbag off" will be displayed, and the front passenger's airbag will be turned off and will not deploy in frontal crashes.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 062004

Elantra 4-cyl

Repeated intermittent illumination of "passenger airbag off" beginning within days of purchase. Failures occur when anyone sits in passenger seat. Adults weighing 190, 170, and 140 have turned airbags off. Poodle weighing 9 lbs turned airbags on! numerous attempts at service August 04 to present, with long delays waiting for Hyundai representatives to address and delays and cancelled appointments by dealer service department. Results of service appointments included could not duplicate, told that sensor activated when passenger moves in seat, claimed to order new "upgraded" sensor, did not have "special" tool to install new sensor, nothing more that service dept could do, airbags will deploy in accident if sensor indicates airbags off, then told that district manager would have to install new sensor, svc cancelled because district manager advised service manager that new sensor would not work, told that district service representative would arrive to assess and verify issue then let me know what would be done and would have to sign waiver, district svc rep tested (compared my 04 Elantra manufactured Sept 03 and another manufactured May 04) and concluded cause was the way I sit in the seat. Light came on in both vehicles when I sat in passenger seat, and when he sat in my passenger front seat. Concluded that I was not sitting far enough back in the seat for sensor to recognize. Stated that this was not a defect but a "characteristic" of the 04 Elantra. Would return two weeks later to "reprogram" sensor to more sensitive state. This was more than one month ago. Have had three near collisions since purchase, with constant fear of passenger seat for seven and one half months of ownership.

- Gretna, LA, USA