2007 Hyundai Elantra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Elantra:

2007 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Aug 232011

Elantra 4-cyl

I was driving my 2007 Hyundai Elantra with 73,000 (about I need to get the final death mileage) miles on it. I heard a slight rattle when I pushed in the gas pedal. I noticed it happened when I started. I was about a mile from home and figured it was a loose screw and drove carefully. All gauges and lights were normal, no smoke ect. I started up a hill. The rattle got louder quickly (10-15 seconds). The temp gauge spiked suddenly and my RPM's dropped down to 1 and below. I pulled into a left hand turn lane at a light. The car died. From beginning to end the whole thing took about five minutes from rattle to death. I took it to the Hyundai dealership in kirkland. The engine is dead due to overheating of an unknown cause. I searched an found NHTSA id # 08V429000. It describes a fuel pump error in which the car suddenly loses engine pressure leading to overheating, engine death and car crashes. I believe my car is one of those cars. I take immaculate care of my car and what happened is what is described in the NHTSA campaign. My car needs a new engine. I am trying to opt for trade. I want to know what to do. I am working with the Hyundai dealership in kirkland wa. They are giving me a good trade in value and a fair deal on a used car. I would like to get a replacement or reimbursed or what have you as the car obviously had a defect. I am really glad I am safe. Had it happened ten minutes earlier I would have been toast.

- Kirkland, WA, USA