2008 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Elantra:

2008 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Jun 202015

Elantra

The contact owned a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 15 mph going around a bend, the steering ability seized. The contact crashed into a parked vehicle, rolled back, and struck another parked vehicle. The air bags did not deploy and the contact's head struck the windshield. The brakes also failed to respond. A police report was filed. The following day, the contact went to the hospital due to a severe headache and fever. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot by the police, towed to an independent mechanic, and then towed to the contact's residence. After the manufacturer was notified, the vehicle was towed by a third party investigator to their facilities. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 145,000. Updated 05/31/16

- Burlington, MA, USA

Mar 242015

Elantra

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while parked, the emergency brake fractured and the brake warning light illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,443.

- Valley Grove, WV, USA

Aug 302014

Elantra

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving at 10 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle accelerated at an intersection. The contact was able to avoid a crash. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000. The VIN was not available.

- Sagamore Hills , OH, USA

Apr 102013

Elantra

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the brake light was continuously burning out. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician verified the failure and replaced the brake lamp. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 30,000.

- Santee, CA, USA

Mar 292014

Elantra

The gas pedal got "stuck" in the down position while driving, resulting in a problem being able to stop the vehicle. I was going approximately 45-50 mph, passing/merging/accelerating in order to get onto an onramp which curved slightly to go into another main highway. When I pressed on the brakes to slow down a bit for the ramp, nothing happened. My car continued to go at the same speed. I continued to brake, and the car would not slow down. I slid my foot over the gas pedal and could tell it was still completely "down" and making the car accelerate at full capacity. I then glanced down to confirm that the pedal was stuck in the downward position. There was nothing under the pedal, the floor mat was not stuck underneath, nor was it anywhere near where the pedal was pressed down. I clicked my hazards on during the process because since it was an onramp, there was nowhere to pull over. As I continuously pressed on the brakes, the car only slowed down approximately 3-5 mph total, because the gas pedal was stuck all the way down, therefore the brakes were trying to work against the full power of the acceleration. Once the passenger realized what was happening, he helped by putting the car in neutral. This helped slow the car, and I then pulled the emergency brake. The car came to a stop in the middle of a main highway onramp. The cars behind me were able to react quick enough to go around and not hit the car. I tried to replicate the problem in order to help diagnose this issue and have more information to tell Hyundai. Once on a straightaway without other cars nearby, I pressed the gas pedal all the way down, and sure enough I was able to recreate the issue and the pedal got stuck again. Upon trying to recreate it a 3rd time, it did not get stuck and seemed to be working properly. But it did get stuck 2 out of the 3 times. It was terrifying to not be able to stop.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Sep 012013

Elantra 4-cyl

The ABS warning light was noted to be on continuously for more than a week. The problem was traced to a broken wire in the main engine harness. There was no noticeable change in performance of the vehicle.

- Nevada City, CA, USA

Oct 152009

Elantra 4-cyl

If someone had notified me about my new car and its problems I would of not been in three different accidents front end all of them and check for your self my record in driving was perfect last ten years or more when I had my older car in year and no accidents.. hi I have been in multiple accidents after I bought this car in Dec of 2012 a few months goes by and I was on my way home from work, , keep in mind before I had a jetta old model no accidents since the day I got my license.. I felt when I tried to jam on brakes to not get in accident my brakes stop alittle but lunged forward I pushed very hard still again stop lunged forward.. not even a month after it was fixed and I sprained my neck another front end damage occurred brakes at fault because pushed hard to stop in sudden isn't working properly I haven't been notified about any defects or anything that would let me think breaks are not perfect as they should be.. I had a perfect driving record since I was sixteen for the most part last ten yrs no accidents. But as soon as I purchase this Elantra three accidents I will not be punished for reason I was never notified of recalls.

- Melrose, MA, USA

Aug 242013

Elantra

The cruise control on Hyundai Elantra failed to disengage while I driving on highway at 70 mph despite repeatedly pushing the "cancel" and "off" buttons. Firm braking also failed to disengage the cruise control. I managed to stop only after pulling the emergency brake and applying heavy/maximum braking. Smoke. Tires destroyed. Scary! my child and I almost died. The ABS and ESC off lights came on and remained on. Kia and Hyundai recently recalled 1.9 million vehicles to fix this issue. However, this incident suggests that Hyundai has not fixed the problem because my car had the recall procedure completed one month prior to the incident occuring.

- Grand Forks Air Force Base, ND, USA

May 082013

Elantra 4-cyl

Traveling 38-40 mph damp road, swerved to miss animal. Fish tail, spun approximately 270 degrees; hit tree on passenger side door; broke passenger window. Pushed forward, hit tree in front quarter panel passenger side then again hit tree directly front center of car. ESC did not work (received ESC recall when got home from accident); brakes locked up (ABS didn't work); neither front or side airbags deployed. Car totaled: Damage to front bumper; engine hood; front windshield; passenger door; passenger window; front passenger tire bent in towards car. Passenger received lacerations from broken glass, driver & passenger received several bumps, bruises, sore necks, sore backs. Have another Hyundai with intermittent tps light - dealer wont fix... huge concern with safety!

- Ruther Glen, VA, USA

Apr 282012

Elantra

Car following me notified me that my brake lights were not working on my 2008 Hyundai Elantra. I have change my brake bulbs 3 times last year and 1 time beging of this year. Stop and check all my bulbs and fuse they were in good condition. I called Hyundai customer care and was told that 2008 Elantra's were not covered by their recall for this problem, that I would have to bring the car in for a dignostic that will cost $110. They told me that even if their were a recall, the recall does not affect my car and is not in their database.

- Compton, CA, USA

Mar 212013

Elantra 4-cyl

Car following me notified me that the brake lights were not working on my 2008 Hyundai Elantra. Stop lamp fuse I was checked and was good as well as both rear stop lamp bulbs. I inspected the brake lamp switch near the brake and found it to stuck in the off position. After pressing the switch several times the switch worked for a few times and then stuck in the on position. I called Hyundai customer care and was told that 2008 Elantra's were not covered by their recall for this problem and they would pay for repair.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Feb 252013

Elantra 4-cyl

While driving in heavy traffic, inching along at low speed for about 1/2 miles; stopping and starting all the way, suddenly during one of these stops, the motor started to rev and the car accelerated on its own. Had to brake hard to avoid hitting the car in front of me. About 10 minutes later, while parking the car in a parking space, the same thing happened. I had already stopped and was putting the car in park. I took the car to the local Hyundai garage where they did road testing. Computer tests showed no codes; so no repairs were made. When the tech line of the manufacturer was contacted on this matter was told that there were no cases relating to this problem on file. Have had this problem sporadically since 2010. Last reported an acceleration problem to the Hyundai garage early in the month of December 2012. No one at Hyundai wants to help me.

- Chambersburg, PA, USA

Feb 122013

Elantra 4-cyl

On 02/12/2013 I observed the brakes lights on my 2008 Hyundai Elantra to be out. I checked the fuses, all were good. A private mechanic checked and stated the stop light switch was bad and would need to be replaced.

- Patterson, NY, USA

Dec 032012

Elantra 4-cyl

While driving my vehicle I was told my another motorist that my brake lights were not working. I checked the fuse and the bulbs. I looked up on line and seen that there was a recall on Hyundai vehicles due to the stop lamp switch problem. I called Hyundai and they said my VIN number was not part of their recall campaign.

- March Air Reserve Base, CA, USA

Sep 122012

Elantra

Was unable to put car in reverse or park after pulling into a parking spot. Discovered the brake lights are inoperable. Had to use extra key to engage the switch lock in order to move the vehicle. Researched the web and found recalls for models 05-07 with the same problem. Recall # 092. Informed Hyundai customer service center at 1-800-633-5151 so they could add to their databases.

- Front Royal, VA, USA