4.6

2008 Hyundai Elantra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Elantra:

2008 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Dec 122010

Elantra

I would like the us dot NHTSA to investigate the anti-lock braking system (ABS) on my 2008 Hyundai Elantra. It is my understanding that the purpose of an ABS is to prevent loss of traction and steering control during an emergency braking situation. During a recent round of winter snow, I found that the system did not shorten my stopping distance and did not prevent the front wheels from losing the ability to control the direction of the car on snow. While attempting to exit interstate highway 465 at a speed of approximately 25 mph, I was unable to decelerate sufficiently in the length of the deceleration lane to make the curve of the cloverleaf and lost the ability to steer the vehicle while the ABS was activated. I did some experimenting and found that I could stop in a shorter distance with more control, if I shifted the car into neutral when trying to stop. I also found that I could slow the vehicle better and not lose steering control if I downshifted into a lower gear, than I could using the brakes. I took the vehicle to the Hyundai dealer near my home and complained about the ABS. They drove the car and told me that no repairs were needed and that the ABS performed similarly to other Hyundai vehicles. When I advised them that the ABS did not allow me to maintain control of the vehicle, the service tech agreed, but stated the vehicle was preforming as designed. I spoke to the service manager when he returned from vacation today and he agreed that the ABS did not work like it should, but that replacing parts would not resolve my concerns with the ABS. I believe there is a design flaw with this ABS as it performs on snow and ice and I am requesting a formal investigation. I have observed the same result of engagement of the ABS on wet pavement in the past, but to a lesser degree.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Oct 012010

Elantra 4-cyl

I purchased a new 2008 Hyundai Elantra in April, 2008. In June of 2008, car surged while at red light. Dealer could not replicate problem, no repair made. Surging happened again in June of 2008, dealer replaced cruise control cable. In April of 2009, surge happened again, dealer replaced fuel sensor. This was a very dangerous situation, so when it first happened, I opened a case file with Hyundai. Each subsequent time, I reported it to Hyundai, as well. The last time it happened was in October of 20L0. At this point, I traded the car in at the Hyundai dealer where I purchased it. I told them that the car was unsafe and should not be put on their used car lot for sale. Today, I discovered that the car is for sale on their lot. I spoke with the owner of the dealership who said that he would request time from Hyundai to "tear the car down" in an attempt to locate and repair the problem. This car is extremely dangerous. The surging happens when the car is idling at a stop, so a pedestrian crossing in front of the car is in danger, or a rear-end collision could easily happen at a stoplight. I reported this to Hyundai Consumer Affairs today.

- Lynwood, IL, USA

Jul 092008

Elantra

I purchased a brand-new, 2008 Hyundai Elantra gls on July 8. I drove the vehicle for about 100 miles from the time I drove off the lot through the end of the 24-hour new ownership period. About 24-25 hours after I bought the car, the vehicle lost power during a typical left-hand turn that I made while pulling out into an intersection. The car had about 125 miles on it. The car lost complete power in the middle of the intersection. The vehicle malfunctioned at about 5:00 pm on Wednesday, July 9. I had to place the vehicle in park and restart it (still in the middle of the intersection during the malfunction). I drove the car to the nearest Hyundai dealer after not being able to get towing assistance through Hyundai. The Hyundai service department ran tests on it for two days. They found a "misfire code on cylinder 1", but could not find how to repair the problem. The car has been transferred back to the dealer I purchased it from. It has been in the shop from Wednesday, July 9 at 8:56pm until today. The car poses a danger to me and others. The vehicle lost complete power in the middle of the intersection while I was trying to drive in normal conditions. Had this happened on a busier road, I may have been hit by oncoming traffic.

- Kenosha, WI, USA