2008 Hyundai Elantra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Elantra:

2008 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Oct 312008

Elantra

There was no particular incident related to a crash. Twice since 10/08 the dashboard airbag light has gone on for no reason and would not go off. The Hyundai dealer said the first time that the wiring was loose from the time of installation most likely, and they tightened the wires. Second incident was 2 weeks ago. This time they tell us we have a faulty harness and it needs to be replaced. We are still waiting for the part which is supposedly on manufacturer backorder. They tell us the issue is so uncommon that they have not seen it before. Just doing a search online I see the recent recall for similar airbag issues on the 01-02 Elantras, so this makes me nervous. Please please investigate this issue with the 08S as well! this is our only car and I do not feel safe driving it, especially while waiting for the new harness..but in the long run I worry about future failures if an accident did occur.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Dec 072008

Elantra

The car is a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. My wife and mother were in a head-on crash which totaled her car. The other airbags never deployed. We specifically purchased this car because of its safety ratings. The airbags in the other person's car deployed but not my wife's. we are very upset and concerned. My wife's mother was hurt.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 262008

Elantra 7-cyl

On May 26 2008 my wife and I were involved in an accident. Another car ran the red light and hit us. My wife and I were injured and our car was totaled. None of the airbags went off on our brand new 2008 Hyundai Elantra. We were later told by Hyundai that passenger airbags don't always go off because of weight variations in some adults. My wife is 5' 4" and her weight is normal for her height. Hyundai never told us of this potential problem with airbag deployment. This company should be required to inform the potential buyer limitations involving safety features! many unsuspecting people could be severely injured without this knowledge. Also this information should be given to the potential buyer prior to purchasing the vehicle not after! we purchases a second Hyundai ( 2008 tucson) and this vehicle has had problems with its passenger airbag - in fact it was during this repair that Hyundai informed us of the weight issue involving airbags. Updated 01-26-09 updated 01/2609. Updated 07/16/10.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 072008

Elantra

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. The contact noticed that the passenger side air bag in her vehicle was deactivated. The air bag light indicated that it was not functional. She consulted the dealer and scheduled a service appointment for June 11, 2008. The contact also experienced failures with the transmission. She would have to depress the accelerator pedal with maximum pressure in order for the vehicle to gain speed. The current and failure mileages were approximately 1,700.

- Brea, CA, USA

Apr 112008

Elantra

While driving on I-95 North in Maryland, a motorist cut me off suddenly, when I applied the brakes to slow down, the brakes locked and car swerved to the right, crossed all lanes, and rolled over twice. The air bags did not deploy on driver or passenger side. As a result, I received a fractured sternum.

- Clive, IA, USA