2009 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Elantra:

2009 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Nov 272015

Receive service campaign notification to apply rust-proofing materials to underbody to arrest the corrosion process. Took car to local Hyundai dealer for rust-proofing and was informed that the oil pan is rusted and needs replaced at a cost to me over $600 - I have written estimate from Hyundai dealer. Informed that oil pan needs replaced because if it fails that oil will leak out and damage\ruin engine. Told Hyundai would not cover oil pan replacement under warranty as I am not the original owner even though mileage was under 100,000 at time of service. If I was the original owner, then it would have been covered under the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage. I also have a 2010 Hyundai Elantra that received same service campaign notice for rust proofing underbody and oil pan is looking its like heading into same direction in need of replacement due to rust. This should not be happening to the oil pan even after 10 years of age.

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Dec 232015

I hit a deer on highway 890 in rotterdam NY, spun out of control and hit the guardrail, car had damage all around, the most damage was in the front resulting in a totaled vehicle, my whole front end is gone, and no airbags deployed, we were traveling doing about 60 miles per hour

- Altamont, NY, USA

Nov 192014

Sudden acceleration while in slow traffic. Seemed like it went full RPM. I held the brakes and put it in neutral. Rpms came down and I drive off. Kinda scary though.

- Wilbraham, MA, USA

May 122014

My vehicle the Elantra ( aprox sp 40mph) rear ended a Chevy Tahoe( aprx sp 30mph) my Elantra was a total loss and my lower back was injured as well as my right hand. I had to be taken from the vehicle from ems and transported to the hospital. The occupant of the Tahoe didn't receive any injury. This is the second accident in this vehicle that the air bags did not deploy. In 2011 my vehicle moving aprox 55mph struck 3 deer at once on the passenger front of the vehicle, my son experience a shoulder injury who was my passenger.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Sep 052011

Elantra 4-cyl

Car alarm activates at random when parked, incessant noise and work problem. Car gear stuck-stop lamp switch repaired-later recall, cd malfunction-ate disc, door sensor indicator lights stuck on, battery dies despite diagnostic tests on battery and alternator revealing no problems.

- Ashland , OH, USA