CarComplaints.com Notes: Be aware that there's a significant trend of owners complaining that the Elantra's fuel economy is significantly less than the EPA estimates.

2012 Hyundai Elantra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Elantra:

2012 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Sep 112015

Elantra

Highly frustrating and potentially life threatening situation Hyundai has put me in. On September 11th my vehicle caught on fire in the rear by the exhaust pipe. Prior to this my vehicle had been at rick case Hyundai 3 times with me complaining the transmission was not working properly the 1st time I was told there are no codes so we have to wait till it breaks, the 2nd time I was told no codes sorry, and the third time they actually replaced a broken part that controls the shift times in the transmission. Could show them my problem. I asked Hyundai corporate to do an investigation into the transmission and the fire and help me resolve this issue. They went through their 6 week process and then denied my claim saying it wasn't found to be a malfunction of any parts that caused the fire. I have video of where the fire started, the transmission not working, and countless pictures that show the fire obviously started at the tailpipe due to an increase in temperature because of the transmission failure. When I ask Hyundai for the information that lead to their conclusion they say it's confidential and proprietary and will not let me see it. When I tell them the transmission is still not working and everytime I drive it there is a burning smell and I'm scared for my safety and life driving this car they just say Hyundai decision is final and they won't honor my warranty on the car. They claim it's perfectly safe to drive and operating as intended and designed. I feel they are covering somethings up or never actually investigated this incident which is why they won't release information. During the fire malfunctions in the head shield and taillight wiring were discovered making for 4 possible life threatening defects my car was parked at work in my parking space when the smoke and fire started.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Jan 152015

Elantra

Sunroof shattered traveling down the interstate at 70 mph in very light traffic, heard a loud noise on top of car. Soon realized by the wind noise that the sunroof had broken. Pulled off at next exit, observed shattered sunroof glass. Concerned this is a defect - as there was no traffic around to throw anything into the roof of the car, and it did not happen after passing under an overpass. There was no explanation for the damage.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Dec 092011

Elantra

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 5 mph, the hood flew open inadvertently. The failure recurred when the contact was driving at highway speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technicians advised the contact that the hood was misaligned. The hood was aligned but the failure persisted. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 300.

- Cave Creek, AZ, USA