CarComplaints.com Notes: Be aware that there's a significant trend of owners complaining that the Elantra's fuel economy is significantly less than the EPA estimates.

2012 Hyundai Elantra electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Elantra:

2012 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 082016

Elantra

Random no start. Push button start will just make one click sound and not start (this is not a low battery clicking sound). After numerous attempts, the engine will start. One time it took over 10 minutes of pushing the start button on and off to finally get it to start. It seems to happen at random times. It will start fine for months and then just randomly not start. It happened in the past an just started happening again about a week ago.

- Orem, UT, USA

Oct 222015

Elantra

On November 8th, 2016, saint paul, mn, my car would not start up. No warning signals came on and just made a "clicking" noise". I called Hyundai's roadside assistance when they arrived he told me to try to start it up. The car then came on which was approx. A 45 minute wait. In October 2015- eagan, mn, I was driving on the highway, I felt dizzy, nauseous and had a panic attack. I tried pulling over to the side of the road, the car would not stop despite stepping on breaks, the car kept pulling toward the side of the grass that was surrounded with gravel. I ended up hitting and stopping at a guardrail. The driver side wheel was blown and along the drivers and passenger door was scratched, there was also some front end damage which got repaired. In approx. March 2015- West saint paul, I just got off the highway when my car lost power. I started it up, pressed on the gas and ended up rear ended the driver in front of me. In 2014, maplewood, mn, I was at a restaurant's drive-thru and my car lost all power and steering for about 5-10 minutes. I called Hyundai's roadside's assistance to report the incident. In 2014, eden prairie, mn, I was driving on the highway and my car completely lost power and the steering wheel locked up. I called Hyundai's roadside assistance to report the incidence. About 15 minutes later, the car started up and no longer needed roadside assistance's towing service.

- Oakdale, MN, USA

Sep 122016

Elantra

2012 Hyundai Elantra. While attempting to start the vehicle, it failed to start without warning. The vehicle had to be placed in neutral in order to start it. According with numerous reviews there is something wrong with the inhibitor switch (range switch).

- Lithia, FL, USA

Jul 252016

Elantra

My Elantra limited 2012 unlock my doors or start the car unless I put the key up to the start button. I don't havean ignition my car only starts with a push button, both key fabs won't work, I've researched and alot if customer have the same complaint this happens multiple times someone mentioned the had range shaft or something replace and it works but many people are complaining about the same problem

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Jun 102014

Elantra

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced issues starting sporadically. In addition, almost all the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel except the parking indicator. It took numerous attempts for the vehicle to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- New Market, MD, USA

Mar 182016

Elantra

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed more than once due to the failure. The contact notified more than one dealer, but they could not replicate and diagnose the failure. The vehicle was still at the dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 05/24/16

- New Hartford, NY, USA

Apr 012016

Elantra

Cranks but does not start. Battery is fine, car only has 28000 miles on it.

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Jan 122015

Elantra

Brake lights started to fail first right side rear then all failed including the third light.

- Dimmitt, TX, USA

Feb 162016

Elantra

My car accelerate on its own without me pressing on the gas randomly. Some days it drives normally and other days I can feel the car accelerating on its own. It was so bad 2 days ago that when I got off the highway it was trying to accelerate into the car in front of me at a red light. I had by foot on the brake and the car was revving to 5000 rpms. I took it to Hyundai who could not find a problem but charged me $250 to clean the throttle body.

- New City, NY, USA

Jan 132016

Elantra

2012 Hyundai Elantra randomly will not start. We replaced the neutral safety switch and about two weeks later it did it again. Does not seem to be affected by weather. It has been towed to the dealer twice, but since it starts when it is there, they say they can't replicate the problem and therefore can't fix the problem. I would say in the year and a half that I have had the car it has stranded me 4 times and not on the first turn over another 15. I usually turn the key to the off position and try again. After a couple tries it usually starts.

- St Louis Park, MN, USA

Jan 162016

Elantra

Car won't start. At first, we thought it's the battery so we got our battery jump starter. But it wasn't the case. Lights and electrical works but the car starter won't turn over. Towed it to the dealer. The following day, went to dealer to check it and the car started without any problem. Dealer's mechanics still hasn't seen it yet that day. There might be some loose wiring or inhibitor switch problem.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 012015

Elantra

My car has been having issues with starting. The problem isn't all the time. I'm not sure what the trigger is, but one or twice a week, it won't start. I thought it was the battery, but it's not. I changed it and still giving me issues. I read online and found that it might be the range switch because people that has this issue had their range switch replaced and no more issue. Before they replaced the range switch, they recommended to put in "N" position before start, which I did and it worked for a while. Now, I have to put the E-brakes on before it cranks. The last couple of weeks, I have issues with locking my car. Neither the electronic push button on the door nor remote works. I had to manual lock it with the key. But this issue isn't all the time either. It only happened 6 times so far.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 102016

Elantra 4-cyl

Car just would not start 2 times in the past two months with no warnings. I got it jumped both times, and it was ok. I had the battery, alternator, and starter checked and they were all ok. I went on a forum about it and many people were complaining about the same issue on the 2012 Hyundai Elantra. Many people were saying it was the range switch that needs replaced. Please recall this. Thank you!

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Dec 172015

Elantra

Car is parked and when trying to turn on it won't start. Happened four times this week and today it had a bad/burning odor coming from the engine. Looks like a fuse went out.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 172015

Elantra

Car was parked and when trying to turn it on it won't start and gives me error "battery discharge" it has happened four times this week. Today car had a bad/burned odor coming from the engine.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 232015

Elantra

Intermittent start failures. Car fails to start several times a week. Had the battery tested and it checked ok. Seems to be related to the automatic transmission shifter. The shifter seems to think the car is not in park, but is is. Switching it back and forth out of park sometimes works, but not always. Very frustrating. Unreliable. Took it to the dealer and they "corrected a grounding anomaly". failed to start again the next day. Online reports have been very helpful in seeing how widespread this problem is. If Hyundai doesn't recall this problem, their rising reputation will be dashed. I wish I had not bought this car.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Oct 172015

Elantra

I parked my car at home and shut it off. I immediately attempted to restart it in order to adjust the car's position, and found that the interior lights would come on, but not the engine. 3 dash lights--engine, battery, and I don't remember the third one--remained lit. Took it in to the dealership the following Monday (10/19), and they replaced the starter.

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Aug 102015

Elantra

Does not start all the time.the panel lights come on when you turn the ignition on but it will not start all the time.after 5to 20 minutes and moving the gear shifter it may start.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Oct 012015

Elantra

Failure to start; car does not recognize that the car is in park and it prevents the car from starting, even though it is in park. Car cannot be taken out of park or put back in sometimes after it is started and idling. Happens intermittently, very frustrating. Have bypassed the situation by taking the samll clip from the center console off, then depressing transmission engager and moving the gear shift into reverse and then back into park. The vehicle will then start. After all the complaints I have seen for this very same situation, I cannot believe there has not been a recall Hyundai?

- Lutz, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Elantra

The vehicle will not turn on when pushing the push start. This keeps happening this is not safe. This needs to be recalled, my safety could be in jeopardy.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA