Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Be aware that there's a significant trend of owners complaining that the Elantra's fuel economy is significantly less than the EPA estimates.

2012 Hyundai Elantra electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Elantra:

2012 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 122016

2012 Hyundai Elantra. While attempting to start the vehicle, it failed to start without warning. The vehicle had to be placed in neutral in order to start it. According with numerous reviews there is something wrong with the inhibitor switch (range switch).

- Lithia, FL, USA

Jul 252016

My Elantra limited 2012 unlock my doors or start the car unless I put the key up to the start button. I don't havean ignition my car only starts with a push button, both key fabs won't work, I've researched and alot if customer have the same complaint this happens multiple times someone mentioned the had range shaft or something replace and it works but many people are complaining about the same problem

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Jun 102014

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced issues starting sporadically. In addition, almost all the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel except the parking indicator. It took numerous attempts for the vehicle to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- New Market, MD, USA

Mar 182016

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed more than once due to the failure. The contact notified more than one dealer, but they could not replicate and diagnose the failure. The vehicle was still at the dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 05/24/16

- New Hartford, NY, USA

Apr 012016

Cranks but does not start. Battery is fine, car only has 28000 miles on it.

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Jan 122015

Brake lights started to fail first right side rear then all failed including the third light.

- Dimmitt, TX, USA

Feb 162016

My car accelerate on its own without me pressing on the gas randomly. Some days it drives normally and other days I can feel the car accelerating on its own. It was so bad 2 days ago that when I got off the highway it was trying to accelerate into the car in front of me at a red light. I had by foot on the brake and the car was revving to 5000 rpms. I took it to Hyundai who could not find a problem but charged me $250 to clean the throttle body.

- New City, NY, USA

Jan 132016

2012 Hyundai Elantra randomly will not start. We replaced the neutral safety switch and about two weeks later it did it again. Does not seem to be affected by weather. It has been towed to the dealer twice, but since it starts when it is there, they say they can't replicate the problem and therefore can't fix the problem. I would say in the year and a half that I have had the car it has stranded me 4 times and not on the first turn over another 15. I usually turn the key to the off position and try again. After a couple tries it usually starts.

- St Louis Park, MN, USA

Jan 162016

Car won't start. At first, we thought it's the battery so we got our battery jump starter. But it wasn't the case. Lights and electrical works but the car starter won't turn over. Towed it to the dealer. The following day, went to dealer to check it and the car started without any problem. Dealer's mechanics still hasn't seen it yet that day. There might be some loose wiring or inhibitor switch problem.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 012015

My car has been having issues with starting. The problem isn't all the time. I'm not sure what the trigger is, but one or twice a week, it won't start. I thought it was the battery, but it's not. I changed it and still giving me issues. I read online and found that it might be the range switch because people that has this issue had their range switch replaced and no more issue. Before they replaced the range switch, they recommended to put in "N" position before start, which I did and it worked for a while. Now, I have to put the E-brakes on before it cranks. The last couple of weeks, I have issues with locking my car. Neither the electronic push button on the door nor remote works. I had to manual lock it with the key. But this issue isn't all the time either. It only happened 6 times so far.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 102016

Elantra 4-cyl

Car just would not start 2 times in the past two months with no warnings. I got it jumped both times, and it was ok. I had the battery, alternator, and starter checked and they were all ok. I went on a forum about it and many people were complaining about the same issue on the 2012 Hyundai Elantra. Many people were saying it was the range switch that needs replaced. Please recall this. Thank you!

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Dec 172015

Car is parked and when trying to turn on it won't start. Happened four times this week and today it had a bad/burning odor coming from the engine. Looks like a fuse went out.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 172015

Car was parked and when trying to turn it on it won't start and gives me error "battery discharge" it has happened four times this week. Today car had a bad/burned odor coming from the engine.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 232015

Intermittent start failures. Car fails to start several times a week. Had the battery tested and it checked ok. Seems to be related to the automatic transmission shifter. The shifter seems to think the car is not in park, but is is. Switching it back and forth out of park sometimes works, but not always. Very frustrating. Unreliable. Took it to the dealer and they "corrected a grounding anomaly". failed to start again the next day. Online reports have been very helpful in seeing how widespread this problem is. If Hyundai doesn't recall this problem, their rising reputation will be dashed. I wish I had not bought this car.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Oct 172015

I parked my car at home and shut it off. I immediately attempted to restart it in order to adjust the car's position, and found that the interior lights would come on, but not the engine. 3 dash lights--engine, battery, and I don't remember the third one--remained lit. Took it in to the dealership the following Monday (10/19), and they replaced the starter.

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Aug 102015

Does not start all the time.the panel lights come on when you turn the ignition on but it will not start all the time.after 5to 20 minutes and moving the gear shifter it may start.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Oct 012015

Failure to start; car does not recognize that the car is in park and it prevents the car from starting, even though it is in park. Car cannot be taken out of park or put back in sometimes after it is started and idling. Happens intermittently, very frustrating. Have bypassed the situation by taking the samll clip from the center console off, then depressing transmission engager and moving the gear shift into reverse and then back into park. The vehicle will then start. After all the complaints I have seen for this very same situation, I cannot believe there has not been a recall Hyundai?

- Lutz, FL, USA

Oct 012015

The vehicle will not turn on when pushing the push start. This keeps happening this is not safe. This needs to be recalled, my safety could be in jeopardy.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 012015

While the vehincle being in park and trying to start the vehicle it did not start. It does some clicking and after turning on and off the key the vehicle starts. It has aggravated more over the course of these past two weeks and its doing it almost every other time I try to start the engine. The dealer has checked the battery and also taken it to autozone and confirmed the battery is ok but the vechile still does not start. I have an appointment for this coming 9/21/15 for the dealer to take a look at it but reviewing all of the electrical complaints it seems that there is a common trend of affected vehicles with the same issue. Have not seen the experience of the vehilce stalling on me during the highway but because of the daily traffic I take to commute home-work I just hope I dont get into a situation where my safety gets compromised. Do not know how many complaints need to occurr before Hyundai does something to solve the issue and really prevent a major safety one.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 082015

I turn the key and the dashboard lights turn on. The radio turns on also. The problem is the engine doesn't start. There is no noise where you should hear the starter. Just silence.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA