CarComplaints.com Notes: Be aware that there's a significant trend of owners complaining that the Elantra's fuel economy is significantly less than the EPA estimates.

2012 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Elantra:

2012 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Nov 202016

Elantra

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. While driving 30 mph, the electronic stability control warning indicator illuminated. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a ditch. Prior to the crash, the vehicle accelerated independently. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to a dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the tie rod was bent and the brake pad on the front passenger wheel was missing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Montgomery, NY, USA

Aug 312015

Elantra

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. While attempting to park, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into some branches. When the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle was already in the branches. There were no injuries. The vehicle was still drivable. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact received a recall notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V871000 (electronic stability control); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Feb 162016

Elantra

My car accelerate on its own without me pressing on the gas randomly. Some days it drives normally and other days I can feel the car accelerating on its own. It was so bad 2 days ago that when I got off the highway it was trying to accelerate into the car in front of me at a red light. I had by foot on the brake and the car was revving to 5000 rpms. I took it to Hyundai who could not find a problem but charged me $250 to clean the throttle body.

- New City, NY, USA

Oct 192015

Elantra

My car was sitting at my apartment. Went to go to the store and the car wouldn't start. The car would not turn over no matter many times I would try and start it. I had to call my dad who told me to hold gas pedal down and start the car. This happened twice. Took it to the dealership, said they couldn't do anything about it because it wasn't happening at that moment. Car starts to jerk while driving. Started off only in the mornings, then while I was driving home from work, it jerked again this time more aggressive. Have talked with Hyundai 3 times about this issue, said they couldn't do anything about it until they see it happening themselves. I am having to press the gas hard to go at least 50 mph. Yesterday 10/19/2015. I stop to get gas. Full my tank up, get in the car and the won't start again! press my foot on the gas, car won't start. Had to call triple a and they say my battery is low. Bought the car in 2013, shouldn't be happening. Something is wrong with this vehicle and all I get is they have to see it happening. I have taken this car to the same Hyundai dealership in South austin. I bought the car from carmax. I have no idea what else to do.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Apr 092015

Elantra

Vehicle accelerated on it's own, and applying break pressure only slowed vehicle but kept accelerating. Hyundai reports no issues, yet this incident is all over the internet doing searches on Hyundai. Hyundai reports no recalls. When car placed in park mode, RPM shot to maximum of 8 and stayed there. When placed car back in drive, car RPM went to 2 and car wants to accelerate fast. Please NHTSA, apply pressure for recall for this very unsafe condition on a vehicle.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jul 252014

Elantra 4-cyl

Hello, well, I am the first owner, and there was not any accident before. Last Thursday, after I started my car, I tried to shift the gear to drive, and the car was suddenly shook. I kept tried to drive it, but whenever the RPM goes up to 2000, the car was bouncing like that I stepped on the brake or so. I was not even able to drive it, and it was even so dangerous to drive. Therefore, I just tried it again at night, and the engine light turned on. I put my car into the fitzgerald Hyundai service center in gaithersburg, md on Friday morning (11/7/14), and I got my car back yesterday. When I picked up my car, I asked them what was the wrong with it, and they told me that the transmission sensor did not lead the temperature. Therefore, I told them that I put my car into the Hyundai service center in fairfax, va three months ago for the exact same problem, and the fairfax representative told me that they could not find any problems with it, so they just reset the software so that it is going to be fine. However, this happened again after few months. A man from fitzgerald told me that this time they update some numbers, so it is going to be fine. I do not know whenever this happens, the engine light turned on, too, and it seems like that it is breaking transmission and the engine together. Since this was not my first time, I reported this to the Hyundai recall service center. They called me yesterday and told me that they do not know the reason, but they fixed it. How come they can fix it even if they do not know the reason" I kept complained about it, and they just told me that they will expand the dates for the warranty so that I can fix it whenever it happens again! they also said that they do not know the next step for it. How irresponsible! now, all I can think of is that this is the defected car. Can you please investigate this" thank you.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Sep 032013

Elantra

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly decelerate without warning and the ABS sensor illuminated. The contact stated that the failure occurred when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle would skid and the contact would lose control of the vehicle. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified, but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

May 292014

Elantra

I was driving in dry weather and on normal road conditions when the ESC light begin to blink for no apparent reason. I could not accelerate when this occurred, and then the vehicle brakes locked up. Luckily, I was entering onto a on ramp and the vehicle skidded to a stop onto the shoulder. If this would have occurred while traveling at a higher rate of speed it could have been very dangerous. I had the vehicle towed to a nearby Hyundai dealership for review of the issue.

- Pataskala, OH, USA

Oct 022012

Elantra

The vehicle has the same problems described in the 2011 recall with the brake switch. My cruise control sometimes does not work and 3 times has cut off on its own. It will not cut back on till vehicle is pulled over and stopped. I was told the problem could not be reproduced but its happening more frequently and im not satisfied with either cocoa beach or melbourne dealer. I have a recurring clutch pedal issue as well and do not trust their technicians any longer. I will just drive the car till it leaves me stranded or in a wreck. Westland Hyundai however has never had a repeat repair. Im not sure why their techs are so much more reliable. Wish I still lived in Utah to have my issues resolved.

- Melbourne , FL, USA