CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 202015

Elantra

Takata recall. My complaints involves the steering and brakes. When in motion and apply pressure to steering either direction nothing happens. Its very sticky. Apply more pressure and it over steers. His to the point that it is extremely aggravating and dangerous. When in motion the brakes chatter terribly. Even worse in rainy conditions. Vibrates the whole car. I found that Hyundai is well aware of these problems. Why haven't they corrected these problems " are they simply using their buyers as guinea pigs " or do they even care about the quality of their product. This is the second time I've made these complaints and as of now, still no response. Wasted my hard earned money for sure as well as my time. Thanks.

- Florence, MS, USA

Jun 102015

Elantra

Making unusual vibration and noise on one side and dealer visited several times but can't find or fixed

- Oakland Tonwship, MI, USA

Jan 292016

Elantra

I was braking to make a turn on a an icy road when the brakes made a loud grinding sound and the brake pedal would not press in properly - sort of like it was fighting back. I thought it was a response by ABS and traction control because of the ice, but then later the same day, slowing down at a traffic light the same sound occurred again on a completely dry road surface. The sound continued while braking for the rest of the trip while braking on dry roads. I even tried pressing the brakes with different force - lightly and suddenly - to the same result. Stopping distance and braking quality were compromised - it definitely took me longer to stop so I am very thankful I was not on the highway when this occurred. I will also note that the sound occurs towards the end of a long drive (approximately an hour), not running brief errands. So it is as if the car must be running hot first and then the issue replicates.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Dec 012013

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving at any speed during rain, there was an abnormal noise coming from the brakes and there was a increase in stopping distance. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to replicate the failure. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Mountainview, AR, USA

Dec 302013

Elantra

Brake pads and rotors make a grinding noise when applying brakes to stop to avoid an accident. Reported problem to Hyundai southern states dealership on 12/30/2013. Dealer stated that the problem could not be reproduced. As of 10/19/2015, the problem still persist and is worst. This brake problem has been reported by consumers nationally to Hyundai dealerships; but, Hyundai will not admit to the safety problem with the brakes on this particular model.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Oct 132015

Elantra

I was parking my car in a parking lot of a store. I slowed down and applied the brakes. Somehow the brakes failed and I hit another car. The collision stopped the car. I have only had the car for 1 year and feel very unsafe.

- Warwick,, NY, USA

Aug 012013

Elantra

Brakes have been grinding since it was new. Car now only has 2000 miles on it now and sounds even worse when you go to stop.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Sep 292015

Elantra

Brakes: At 36K, I had to change the brake pads which may not be uncommon, however, it was the back brakes. The front brakes had more than half the life left on it and the back brakes were almost bare. Engine: In summer (July?) of 2013, I came out from work, after a full day of the car sitting out in the sun (approximately 85 weather), I attempted to turn the engine and it continued to turn, but not would not ignite/ start. After trying it for about 5min, I gave it a break and let it sit for about 10min. After which, I tried again and it was very hesitant to start (you could hear it wanted to), then eventually started. I dropped it off to the dealer the next day and they couldn't replicate the issue. Almost a year later (July?) 2014, the same thing happened again. The car sat out in the 80 weather in the sun all day. I came out from work and my car would not turn on; this time, the engine didn't do anything other than continue to turn like when your battery is dead. I called roadside and he jumped the car. He also checked the battery and said it shouldn't do that because it was not even close to dead. I again took into the dealer and they tried to replicate my issue, leaving it in the sun; no luck. They couldn't find anything wrong with it again. I haven't seen the issue since, but I am worried that a new car could even hesitate to start like this.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 282015

Elantra

I have informed my local Hyundai dealer several times since I purchased this vehicle new that the front brakes make a clattering noise and do not seem to brake the car effectively when the brake pedal is pushed with a little more pressure than normal. The dealership each time said that the brakes are fine. I have since learned that I am not the only Elantra owner who has experienced this situation. My vehicle now has over 60,000 miles (out of general warranty) and Hyundai will not even return my E-mails. If you would experience the situation I am describing, you would agree that there is something wrong.

- Poland, OH, USA

Jun 232015

Elantra

Pulling into the parking space at work less than 5mph car accelerated and hit the parking garage wall. Reported to my car insurance company, car was taken to dealership after body shop. Dealership couldn't find anything on diagnostic report.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 212015

Elantra

This has been an ongoing issue, when hitting any type of bump in the road, the rear of the car feels like it is going to fishtail, worse on wet roads. The ABS brakes work and then they don't, the steering will feel loose and then tight. I have noticed there is a lot of complaints about the car feeling like it is going to fishtail or has when hitting bumps and yet, no recall is forced on Hyundai. I guess it takes a fatality to get anything done. A car should never feel like it is going to fishtail when hitting bumps. The engine hesitates when going uphill or when accelerator is pressed quickly.

- Akron, OH, USA

Sep 282014

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated while driving at lower speeds, the service brakes were depressed and the vehicle made a metallic low groaning noise which followed by a abnormal delayed stopping distance. The vehicle was taken in for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. However, after contacting the manufacturer they clean the throttle body and performed a software update. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 22,500.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 082015

Elantra 4-cyl

I was coming off of interstate 95 onto my exit and I applied my brake to slow my car but my brake apparently gave out and was not working. It make a loud sound like it was trying to hold but it didn't and in order to stop my car from hitting any others or people standing at the side of the road I tried steering it toward the closest curb so that I could prevent as much as possible within my power. My airbags didn't deploy but the car hit hard enough that my face slammed into the steering wheel, I sustained a concussion and damaged my face and glasses. I have muscle strains in my back, neck and still a swollen eye and cheek bone.

- Folsom , PA, USA

Jan 012014

Elantra

Brakes very rough and grinding.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 042013

Elantra

At speeds greater than 35 mph on rough roads rear end of car will slide out to right causing vehicle to head towards incoming traffic. If brakes are applied when vehicle loses control ABS activates and car seems to leave ground. This continues to happen over and over. Car dealer repair says this is not happening. Notes this might be the first time I had this type of suspension. Car does not feel safe on interstate. I've tested the bump out in an empty lot. If not correct by hard steering car will depart lane.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

May 012014

Elantra 4-cyl

Our Elantra began making grinding noises when we pressed on the brake pedal that sounded like the brakes or rotor were defective. When the shop inspected the car, they said they could not duplicate the noise, and told us the car was in perfect shape. Over the next few months, the noise became louder when braking, plus it began making a whump-whump-whump noise that appeared to be directly related to the speed and rotation of the wheels. The sound would increase when we steered the car to the right, and would decrease when we steered left. The whumps were barely audible at 5 mph, but were overly loud at 40 mph. I thought it was plastic trim fluttering in the wind, but could not find anything loose. When we took it to the shop again, I think in August, I told them the car was not drivable that they needed to find out what was causing the whump noises and the grinding noises when we applied the brakes. This time they found the problem was caused by the bolt holding the left wheel coming unscrewed. They tightened the bolt under warranty repair service, and the car has not made the whump noise or had grinding brakes since the repair. I doubt this problem was limited to one car in the fleet, and I believe Hyundai should have issued an advisory to their shop managers to be watching for this problem so that it would have been found and corrected the first time that we took the car in.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Aug 202014

Elantra

Coming to the end of a passing lane at about 60 mph, cars got congested, brake hard and the brakes locked up causing me to lose control of my car, started to go into oncoming traffic. I let up on the brakes and braked again, brakes locked up as before. I thought anti-lock brakes prevented this from happening. This has happened two other times, just not this bad, plus when I go over railroad tracks of hit a pothole, I can't use the brakes. I noticed the other complaints about the factory hancock tires, they should be ban from new cars, I had two accidents in one day due to light snow.

- Green Forest, AR, USA

Aug 212013

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds the vehicle would become unstable after driving over a bump or pot hole in the road. The contact indicated that the vehicle was very difficult to drive in a straight line. Also, the brakes had malfunctioned on multiple occasions after driving over a bump or pot hole. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. After changing the coil springs and replacing the tires the vehicle continued to experience the failures. The manufacturer was notified of the failures but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- California, MD, USA

Dec 022013

Elantra

Driving on freeway at speed of approx. 65-70, hit off level pavement on right side on road while braking to slow (for traffic) and brake pedal hardened (pedal hard to press for few seconds) while making clicking sound, but then functioned properly. Felt like front pass wheel. Figured nothing. Months passed, driving in shopping center and going over speed bump at about 5 mph and front wheel made clicking again while braking to slow further and brake pedal hardened again (difficult to press for few seconds) then functioned properly. Took car to dealer for regular maintenance and informed dealer of situation and service rep claimed it was how the ABS system worked and that was all it was, the ABS system working. Told him this problem does not happen when the left wheel is involved hitting or going over bump. First time owned vehicle with ABS but I think the brake pedal is not suppose to harden up while ABS system is functioning as this would limit any braking capacity. Feels like there is a bigger problem and dealer is not taking it seriously. Original owner since 7/31/13, this problem has happened at least 4 times and all seemed to only involve the front passenger wheel.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jan 212014

Elantra 4-cyl

Was taking trash to the dump, 1 person's worth, going 5 mph 1/ of mile from my home, car veered to right edge of pavement, and where a bulldozer had drug road edges and broke pavement off, caused me to hit a tree at a very slow speed. I reversed car, backed up 50 ft. And car shut itself off & windshield got extremely hot, and I got out of vehicle, smoke coming from hood area, left my purse, and walked across road to ask for fire extinguisher. Man had just got up, hadn't had coffee, and invited me in. I went back outside and saw car was burning, so I stayed on his porch, then front yard. I knew trash may have aerosol canisters, and not worth my life to try to go through fire to save my purse. Cops came (9:45-10:15 am, and said I looked funny and arrested me accusing me of being under the influence of medication. I was not on any medicine and definitely not drinking. Car was a total loss after explosion and I have not had another for over 8 months. I am on disability for fibromyalgia, neuralgia, & osteoporosis, and hollow bones. I fall quite often (one leg is shorter than other). Officer himself drew my blood in a public place, and refused to let me see my attorney 3 times. I never got to use a phone in 2 days. But vehicle was problematic from day 1, battery would not hold a charge, jump a riding lawn mower, and would just cut off while I was going down the road. Steering was also a problem from day one, like tires were never aligned.

- Lagrange, NC, USA