CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 172016

Elantra

My airbag light was off and on for about a month and now it is a steady light. The repair shop I took it to said I needed a clock spring and a new driver air bag. They also said I might need another part. Total cost of all of this will be around $1600. Since my car has over 100,000 miles, it is not under warranty. I've noticed other people are complaining about the airbag light.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Oct 122016

Elantra

1. airbag light has been turning on. No apparent reason but I was told that if in an accident will not deployed. Since 10/12/2016 2. suspension is not the greatest, car will swirled sometimes if exceeding 40mph hello I live in puerto rico there is no such thing as 40mph in our roads... 3. tire sensors are constantly braking. 4. front headlights seems get humidity when it rains or get too cold. 5. brakes sometimes do not work as they should, I stop and it seems to keep going I would have to brake again to make it stop and these is not going more than 40 mph.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Jun 282016

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. While driving 10 mph with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle independently accelerated and crashed into a concrete patio. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was not filed. The contact sustained injuries to the neck and bruises to the arms and legs. Medical attention was not required. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and repaired. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Independence, LA, USA

Aug 152016

Elantra

The contact owned a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 30 mph, the brakes failed without warning and the vehicle crashed into a ditch. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a towing facility. The contact sustained injuries to the right arm and the passenger sustained injuries to the eyes. Medical attention was required. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Jasper, TX, USA

Sep 022016

Elantra

Sept. 2nd, 2016, my 26-yr-old daughter (an experienced driver) left work, approached a "T" country road intersection at moderate speed, on a somewhat rough road, and applied brakes to slow down. Nothing happened - the car did not slow. The car drove across the intersection into a farmyard. She pulled the emergency brake, but it did not stop the car. It skidded, but she was able to steer around a wood pile and avoid trees. Car stopped when it crashed into a dirt mound. This was total brake failure. Bumper was ruined, and there is damage in engine compartment. No fire or injuries. No air bag deployment. Car was towed to dealership, who next day drove car around dealership lot and found no brake problem. Crash damage made car not road-worthy to test brakes at higher speed. Car has about 42,200 miles on it. Back in mid-summer, the dealer had repaired a problem that apparently was brake stopper recall-related (a late-August recall). We reported the failure and crash to Hyundai America.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 132016

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving approximately 7 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and the brakes failed to respond. No warning indicators illuminated. As a result, the contact went over a curb and fractured the front driver side tire and axle. The contact had to shut the engine off in order to stop the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but had not been diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000. Updated 10/05/16

- Mount Dora, FL, USA

Aug 152015

Elantra

My car has 7000 miles and the brakes grind excessively and when braking at speeds 40 mph or higher, the car shakes and vibrates so hard I am afraid that the brakes will fail. This has been going on for more than a year. Last year, I brought it to the dealer (fairfax Hyundai in fairfax, Virginia) for this problem and all they said was that this was due to rust buildup even though my car just had less than 5,000 miles on it and I just needed to brake hard to get rid of the rust. This has not helped and I believe that the brakes pads and rotors are defective and need to be replaced.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 132016

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. While making a left in the garage, the vehicle accelerated independently. The brake pedal was depressed, but failed to operate. The vehicle stopped by crashing into the bushes. There were no injuries. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,026.

- Haiku, HI, USA

Dec 122015

Elantra

I purchased my car in 2015. I was loving this car until I was on wet/bumpy roads. I applied the brakes to stop. The Hyundai started making a grinding noise.when I applied the brakes it felt like the brakes was going all the way to the floor. When it is snowing I can't drive the car because the brake gets locked up and makes a lot of noise. This car is dangerous to drive in inclement weather. Also this car suspension is horrible. You feel all the bumps in the road. Hyundai needs to do a recall on this car. Most of my problems with this car was driving in the city. Driving on wet roads coming to a stop or hitting a bump in the road. The car swerves and make aloud grabbing noise. Sounds like the brakes are coming up through the floor. I love the car but don't love the way it drives. I had to replace the front rotors and brake pad with a full alignment. This vehicle still drives the same way even when all this work was completed.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 132016

Elantra

Braking difficulties and air bags structure.

- Alington, TX, USA

Jul 202015

Elantra

Takata recall. My complaints involves the steering and brakes. When in motion and apply pressure to steering either direction nothing happens. Its very sticky. Apply more pressure and it over steers. His to the point that it is extremely aggravating and dangerous. When in motion the brakes chatter terribly. Even worse in rainy conditions. Vibrates the whole car. I found that Hyundai is well aware of these problems. Why haven't they corrected these problems " are they simply using their buyers as guinea pigs " or do they even care about the quality of their product. This is the second time I've made these complaints and as of now, still no response. Wasted my hard earned money for sure as well as my time. Thanks.

- Florence, MS, USA

Jun 102015

Elantra

Making unusual vibration and noise on one side and dealer visited several times but can't find or fixed

- Oakland Tonwship, MI, USA

Jan 292016

Elantra

I was braking to make a turn on a an icy road when the brakes made a loud grinding sound and the brake pedal would not press in properly - sort of like it was fighting back. I thought it was a response by ABS and traction control because of the ice, but then later the same day, slowing down at a traffic light the same sound occurred again on a completely dry road surface. The sound continued while braking for the rest of the trip while braking on dry roads. I even tried pressing the brakes with different force - lightly and suddenly - to the same result. Stopping distance and braking quality were compromised - it definitely took me longer to stop so I am very thankful I was not on the highway when this occurred. I will also note that the sound occurs towards the end of a long drive (approximately an hour), not running brief errands. So it is as if the car must be running hot first and then the issue replicates.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Dec 012013

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving at any speed during rain, there was an abnormal noise coming from the brakes and there was a increase in stopping distance. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to replicate the failure. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Mountainview, AR, USA

Dec 302013

Elantra

Brake pads and rotors make a grinding noise when applying brakes to stop to avoid an accident. Reported problem to Hyundai southern states dealership on 12/30/2013. Dealer stated that the problem could not be reproduced. As of 10/19/2015, the problem still persist and is worst. This brake problem has been reported by consumers nationally to Hyundai dealerships; but, Hyundai will not admit to the safety problem with the brakes on this particular model.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Oct 132015

Elantra

I was parking my car in a parking lot of a store. I slowed down and applied the brakes. Somehow the brakes failed and I hit another car. The collision stopped the car. I have only had the car for 1 year and feel very unsafe.

- Warwick,, NY, USA

Aug 012013

Elantra

Brakes have been grinding since it was new. Car now only has 2000 miles on it now and sounds even worse when you go to stop.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Sep 292015

Elantra

Brakes: At 36K, I had to change the brake pads which may not be uncommon, however, it was the back brakes. The front brakes had more than half the life left on it and the back brakes were almost bare. Engine: In summer (July?) of 2013, I came out from work, after a full day of the car sitting out in the sun (approximately 85 weather), I attempted to turn the engine and it continued to turn, but not would not ignite/ start. After trying it for about 5min, I gave it a break and let it sit for about 10min. After which, I tried again and it was very hesitant to start (you could hear it wanted to), then eventually started. I dropped it off to the dealer the next day and they couldn't replicate the issue. Almost a year later (July?) 2014, the same thing happened again. The car sat out in the 80 weather in the sun all day. I came out from work and my car would not turn on; this time, the engine didn't do anything other than continue to turn like when your battery is dead. I called roadside and he jumped the car. He also checked the battery and said it shouldn't do that because it was not even close to dead. I again took into the dealer and they tried to replicate my issue, leaving it in the sun; no luck. They couldn't find anything wrong with it again. I haven't seen the issue since, but I am worried that a new car could even hesitate to start like this.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 282015

Elantra

I have informed my local Hyundai dealer several times since I purchased this vehicle new that the front brakes make a clattering noise and do not seem to brake the car effectively when the brake pedal is pushed with a little more pressure than normal. The dealership each time said that the brakes are fine. I have since learned that I am not the only Elantra owner who has experienced this situation. My vehicle now has over 60,000 miles (out of general warranty) and Hyundai will not even return my E-mails. If you would experience the situation I am describing, you would agree that there is something wrong.

- Poland, OH, USA

Jun 232015

Elantra

Pulling into the parking space at work less than 5mph car accelerated and hit the parking garage wall. Reported to my car insurance company, car was taken to dealership after body shop. Dealership couldn't find anything on diagnostic report.

- San Jose, CA, USA