CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates.

2013 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Apr 012013

Elantra

Brakes grind (sounds like metal on metal contact) if applied going over 20mph in all weather conditions however it is worse when the brakes are applied on a bumpy road. Dealer has not made any serious attempts to fix issue except telling me it was the humidity and putting lube on brakes which did not work.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 252013

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 35 mph, the brakes failed to immediately respond and the rear end the vehicle veered to the side. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician stated that was the way the vehicle was designed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 600 and the current mileage was 12,000.

- California , MD, USA

Feb 172014

Elantra

I purchased the 2013 Hyundai Elantra gls with 13461 miles on 2/15/14. The first few days I drove the vehicle locally everything seemed ok. A few days later once the vehicle was driven on bumpy uneven roadways the rear end of the vehicle appears to not stay in line with the front of the vehicle. When driving over uneven surfaces or bumps at speeds of 30mph and up the rear end seems to be out of control making the vehicle veer into another lane. The suspension on the vehicle for such low miles is also very noisy and rattles over the slightest imperfections on the road. The vehicle was serviced on 3/12/14 and the Hyundai service advisor stated that a Hyundai tech test drove the vehicle and stated that the vehicle is operating as designed. Also they found that the rotors had rust on them and had to be resurfaced/machined. Rotors should not go bad with a vehicle that has low miles. I purchased this car for the safety of my family and now am stuck with years of payments. I am not a happy Hyundai consumer. I have seen numerous complains for the same issue. A recall needs to be done on this vehicle for the suspension problem.

- Sayreville, NJ, USA

Jan 232014

Elantra

During merge onto a major dallas tollway, traffic became stopped in the right lane and upon applying a hard brake of my car, the anti-lock brakes failed to engage, the seatbelt did not lock, my car felt as though it was accelerating even though I was pressing the brake pad hard. I hit the car in front of me once and then again before my car stopped, still running. My car sustained $8500 in damage to the front end, but the air bag did not even deploy. I have owned it for 15 months and have not had an issue of this nature in the past, however I am now concerned of the safety of this vehicle.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Dec 102013

Elantra

It was the first snow storm in NJ. I was driving, got a red light and was slowing down the car. There were a couple of cars stopping at red light. My car was almost stopped also but the last moment, the brake wouldn't work and just helplessly slid and hit the car in front of me. I was the first time I got an accident and there were so many small accidents around so I thought it was my mistake somehow. But afterwards, I get similar issues and I don't feel safe any more. My car is just one year old. I have been driving for 10 years, never had this kind of issue before.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Dec 022013

Elantra 4-cyl

I have rust on my 2013 Hyundai Elantra rotors and it makes noise when I brake. I had to get new pads in December because of a loud noise while braking.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 152013

Elantra 4-cyl

The brakes make horrible creaking and grinding noises when wet. Sometimes it will even cause the car to shake. I have contacted Hyundai several times and they do not take this serious. I have taken it to the dealership several times and they have not been able to fix it. I just took it in last week and they even tried to get me to pay 100 for a cleaning of the brake components, I feel I should not have to pay to fix a problem we have had since we bought the car new and have had it in several times and they have not been able to fix it. I am not confident driving the car now and clearly no one would want it buy it off us when it makes such horrible noises. I also believe it cannot be safe and will cause premature failure of the brake calipers and / or possible the ball joints or front steering suspension. I think they have a faulty design in the brake hydraulics and the differential pressures between the front and rear brakes are not right.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Nov 142013

Elantra 4-cyl

I was on my way to work, when I noticed there was a new warning on my dashboard and so when looking up what it means in my book, it pertains to my brakes!! when I called the dealer to schedule an appt about another issue I am having with the car, I told her about this one too. She said we need to get you in asap to have it looked at. I could tell by her tone, this was not a good thing. I expressed to her that I have a (19 mo old), of which I cannot have any major defaults with my car, especially when driving with her in it- which is all the time! I asked her if this was in conjunction with my brakes making a grinding noise and she said she didn't know. I told her I have only had the (new off the lot) for a year or more and have had a string of issues. I am not impressed to say the least!! this is minor in comparison to some, but the upholstery on my side on the right (floor board) has completely torn apart. It almost looks like someone had cut it, like when I brought my car in the last time to get worked on from this dealer. She assured me they would never cut the floor and I said what happened to it then and she said a poor job when made by Hyundai. Granted, they are going to replace it, but now I have a more important issue to attend to- my brakes. Bad upholstery is not going to put me or my daughter in danger, but bad brakes will! when I asked the dealer if any of my current and past issues with this car is normal, she said to be honest- no it is not! if I have to contact Hyundai, I will and I will not give up until my issues have been resolved.

- Central Point, OR, USA

Jun 062013

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 40 mph, the contact attempted to decelerate but the brakes failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 17,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 082013

Elantra

I had to stop moderately hard at 50 mph and when I did my brakes made a loud grinding noise and vibrated very rough. I found out there was a Hyundai tsb campaign for the brakes issued December 2012 and that they should have been replaced by the dealer before the car was sold but the dealership (key Hyundai in jacksonville, fl) neglected to replace the defective pads.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 182013

Elantra 4-cyl

Vehicle sudden acceleration after pressing brakes and trying to park: As I was turning into a parking space (less than 5 mph), in front of a grocery store to park the car, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, hit a lighting pole and completely damaged the front of the car. Pressing the brakes even harder could not stop the car. The car finally came to a halt as it hit the pole (thankfully no one was injured). The air bag did not come on, my head and neck hit the brakes. Thankfully, I was not injured and no one else was either. Brakes completely failed, the manufacturer was made aware of it but could not find anything defective in the car. This is very scary.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 302013

Elantra

I own a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with approximately 9000 miles on it as of May 2013. In January I had the car sitting outside overnight, and when I went to drive it the next morning I noticed a grinding sound coming from the brakes. I stopped and got out to notice all four rotors were rusted. I immediately brought it to the dealer, and after inspection they said all four rotors were severely rusted. They machine shopped the rotors down so they would make a noise or make the car pulsate while stopping. The first week of may I left the car sit outside over the entire weekend. When I left for work Monday morning I noticed the same problem. The car was pulsating and making a grinding sound again. I called the dealer and explained the previous situation. They said that this type of situation happens if the car is left in moisture overnight. I told them that is ridiculous since many people don't have the luxury of a garage. They told me to bring it in the shop again to take a look at it. I am now waiting till the next appointment to bring the car in. I have a 2012 Hyundai tucson that sits outside more than this car and I have never had a problem with the brakes before!

- Crest Hill, IL, USA

Feb 212013

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 to 20 mph and depressing the brakes, the pedal went straight to the floor board. Clicking and grinding noises could be heard. The contact coasted through the intersection before the brakes activated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. After inspection, they advised her that the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 1,800. The current mileage was approximately 2,000......updated 05/09/13 the consumer stated the brakes failed a second time coming to a stop at 20 mph. Clicking and loud blunking noise could be heard. Driver pumped the brakes and was able to activate half way through the intersection. The failure could not be duplicated by dealer nor manufacturer. Vehicle was not repaired. Updated 06/04/2013

- Los Angelos, CA, USA

Oct 012012

Elantra 4-cyl

There is an extremely loud grinding noise that keeps coming from my brakes. I was pulling up to a mailbox and I was on my cellphone and someone asked me what that noise was as it was so loud they could hear it! I brought it to the dealership and they said there was a little bit of rust on the rotor!! I just had the 7500 mile check up and got all green checks but 10 days later the grinding is even louder than before. I dread even putting on my brakes and I am not confident if people jump out in front of me that they will respond properly. I purchased this car brand new and went on to carcomplaints.com and there are a lot of people saying the same things with as low as 20 miles on the car. Something is definitely wrong here. This is my fifth brand new car in the last ten years so I know this is not something that should be going on.

- Rochester, MA, USA

Jan 152013

Elantra

Had been hearing a grinding noise when braking especially when it would rain out and on the advice made an appt to take it to the dealer. On the way to the dealer the brakes gave out and my car hit into my husbands car that was driving in front of me to the dealer so he could drive me home. At first they said there was nothing wrong withthe brakes I insisted they keep it overnight and theysaid they would drive it when the car was cold. Thankfully it rained hard that night and even though they waited til the afternoon to drive it they were still able to hear the grinding although not nearly as loud as it would have been if they drove it in the morning. They said the rotors were building up corrosion so they would replace the brake pads. After researching this it seems to be a pretty common problem I intend to insist tomorrow they change the rotors too but the fact still remains that there is now extensive damage to the front end of my car. This is a new car and this should not be happening just 2 days prior my husband lost the brakes for a few seconds this is a potentially very hazardous situation.

- Oceanside, NY, USA

Sep 252012

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, he heard an abnormal noise coming from the front passenger side brakes. The contact also stated that there was a thumping noise that was heard from the vehicle once the brakes were depressed for an abrupt stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that there were no failures and did not provide any further assistance. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100 and the current mileage was 700.

- Woodside, NY, USA

Sep 112012

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while attempting to pull off the road he moved his right foot from the accelerator to the brake and his shoe became stuck under the brake pedal causing him to crash into a sign. As a result, the front fender and front driver side door became damage. The contact stated that the brake pedal was significantly higher than the accelerator posing a safety hazard. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The failure and current mileage was 60.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

May 312012

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that he heard a squeaking noise while driving the vehicle. The contact stated that he took the vehicle to the dealer for inspection and was informed that there was rust on the rotors and the rattle clips needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified and stated that he would have to meet with a representative. The failure mileage was 500.... updated 08/15/12 updated 08/16/2012

- Lindenhurst, NY, USA