Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Aug 032014

On July 18, 2014, my 2013 Hyundai Elantra ran into a subway restaurant at 12150 S. cicero, alsip, il. I was going into the subway parking lot, my goal was to park, but my car did not stop when I put on my brakes. My car kept going; it drove over the sidewalk, through the scrubs, and hit the building head on. Hitting the building is what stopped my vehicle, my air bag did not deploy. I then put on the brakes, put it in reverse and backed off the building, backing into the parking place that I was originally going into to park. Once my car was parked, it began to smoke. I got out of the car, looked at the damage to my car and the subway building, called my insurance company, state farm and my son. The 2 employees in the subway, called the police and the subway restaurant owner.

- Alsip, IL, USA

Feb 012014

Elantra 4-cyl

This is a problem with the grinding of the front brakes on my 2013 Elantra coupe from the day I drove it off the lot and now it is 15 months later and 12653 miles later and 5 trips back to the dealer to get it fixed, 1st they said they turned the rotors, 2nd they said they balanced the wheels, 3rd they said they aligned the front end, 4th they said it was a dust plate, and 5th they said it is normal. I went to a different dealer they said Hyundai had made new softer pads to fix this problem. I sent an E-mail to Hyundai customer connect center Consumer Affairs, they said to bring it back to the dealer...updated 04-16-14

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Sep 012012

2013 Hyundai Elantra. Consumer writes in regards to windshield wiper design failure the consumer stated the wiper blade on the passenger side was very short and the bottom end of the wiper blade left a semi-circular water streak right in front of the person sitting in the passenger seat on every wipe of the blade. Also, there was a spot at the bottom of the windshields where the passenger wiper blade left a short inverted "V" type spot that the driver's wiper blade did not clean which would freeze into in the winter. The consumer stated the steering was too sensitive. The consumer was informed the vehicle has electric steering which may be related to the condition. The steering was so sensitive, that he had to constantly move the wheel left and right just to stay out of the oncoming traffic lane and stay in his lane of traffic. Several times, while driving, in a slight crossing wind with various groups of trees, the level of steering sensitivity forced him to run off the edge of the road to avoid entering the oncoming traffic lane. Also, on a few occasions, the consumer had to hit the brakes harder than normal, but not hard enough to engage the ABS. With the electric assisted steering, it was impossible to feel if the vehicle was centered in his lane prior to using the brakes.

- Constantine, MI, USA