Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Jul 052014

Elantra 4-cyl

Retraction seat belts are defective ! my son fail asleep in back, while in seat belt. Somehow he was loop inside belt.I released belt knuckle.the belt pull in upwards fast retracting"but I couldn't pull out" the belt to get him out of the tangle.somehow he was being strangle around the stomach then became a life threatening.I had nothing on me to cut the belt with.,just a cell phone to call 911.the responders task force couldn't believe the belt wouldn't pull out.the car sitting in park no keys in it.all door's were open & trunk.and search all over for somekind of release device.the owner's manual mention nothing about a safety release button on seat belt.the camera phones was used to document belt problem.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Mar 272014

Are you aware that there is no notification to the driver if the passenger seat belt is not being used by the front seat passenger?

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 232014

Elantra 4-cyl

During merge onto a major dallas tollway, traffic became stopped in the right lane and upon applying a hard brake of my car, the anti-lock brakes failed to engage, the seatbelt did not lock, my car felt as though it was accelerating even though I was pressing the brake pad hard. I hit the car in front of me once and then again before my car stopped, still running. My car sustained $8500 in damage to the front end, but the air bag did not even deploy. I have owned it for 15 months and have not had an issue of this nature in the past, however I am now concerned of the safety of this vehicle.

- The Colony, TX, USA