2014 Hyundai Elantra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Hyundai Elantra:

2014 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Aug 172015

Returned home from work and parked vehicle in driveway, got out and got groceries from passenger side. Went inside and about twenty minutes later was informed by neighbor that my car had rolled out of the driveway, across a 55 mph street, and through ditch into neighbors yard. When myself and three other people approached the vehicle we were astonished to see that the E-brake had been engaged and yet the vehicle rolled down driveway with no signs of tire dragging. It is as if the E-brake completely failed for a short period of time. There are other Hyundai's of similar build recalled for "parking break issues causing dragging while driving and possible rollaway while parked". sadly Hyundai is not helpful because my exact car does not have a current recall going. I believe that my car has an issue that is a defect of the caliber that creates the amount of damages necessary to recall a model of vehicle. Death or serious injury could have resulted due to the malfunction of the parking brake in my car. My vehicle has incurred above $3,000 worth of structural and body damage from rolling away at no fault of my own. It is currently at a repair shop and I am pursuing a claim with Hyundai but they are not doing what is best for the safety of consumers. An inspector should be out to look at my brakes regardless of the outcome, circumstance, or fault. Instead of trying to avoid paying for my car they should be looking into if this malfunction could cause harm and property damage to other people. Thank you for caring about the safety of our cars and roads.

- Cornelius, OR, USA

Dec 012014

Elantra 4-cyl

While driving cruising at 45mph all of a sudden the vehicle felt like it went into neutral and the rpms went up to 4000 when left of the gas and gave it gas shifted back into gear. Also when you go up a hill and get to cruising speed the vehicle hangs in low gear and high rpms when let off it will up shift this is an intermittent problem. Took it to dealer 3 times on the 3rd time they kept it overnight and the mechanic finally felt it and agreed it "hangs in gear" he said "does not kick down smoothly and seems like the tcm is confused and takes awhile to decide what gear to go into". he also say " it seems worse in active eco mode and when he shifts it manually it seems fine". there has been a significant reduction in gas mileage.

- Lewistown, PA, USA

Feb 032015

Elantra 4-cyl

The car won't start at times. I turn the key, all the lights and radio come on, no power to start the engine, no noise, no crank, nothing. If I wiggle the gear selector gently it will start. Last night it was stuck in park and I had to turn the car off, wiggle the selector a little again, and then it started and unlocked the gear selector. And yes, my foot is always firmly on the brake when I try to shift gears.

- Highland, IN, USA