2014 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Hyundai Elantra:

2014 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Aug 262016

Elantra

08-26-16 while pulling into a parking space at a public park while doing less than 5 miles per hour, I experienced rapid unintended acceleration, plowed through a fence, sideswiped a tree, went off a grassy median back up onto a grassy median and then bounced off of that before the car finally came to rest. My brakes did not work and I had no control over the vehicle. It is a miracle that I am not dead as the park is on a very busy 4 lane road and is usually full of children.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA

Dec 092014

Elantra

I am the owner of a 2014 white Hyundai Elantra, at present the odometer is reading 6,800 miles. On Tuesday, December 9th, at approximately 5:25 P.M. while driving my 2014 Hyundai Elantra at a slow speed (approximately 10-15 mph) in a shopping center parking lot located at 10100 w. sample road, Florida, I experienced a sudden and unexpected acceleration, which caused a severe crash involving two other vehicles. My vehicle suddenly accelerated which thereby caused me to lose control of the vehicle and collide with two parked cars (an SUV and a sedan. Even after colliding with the SUV I still was unable the stop the vehicle which was traveling at such a high rate of speed that I collided with a second vehicle. It was only when I put the car into the park position did the vehicle come to a stop. At no time did the cars airbags deploy. I am beyond distressed about this accident. I am a safe driver and have never experienced an accident such as this before. Aside from my physical and emotional injuries, my sister suffered several injuries when she arrived on the scene. This has just added to my distress and disappointment about the accident. When I purchased the vehicle I was assured that this was a safe car, however, I have looked at the NHTSA website and there are multiple complaints about the Hyundai Elantra, including several sudden and unexplained acceleration crashes. I intend to file a complaint myself. The preliminary estimate of the damage to my car is over ten thousand dollars and now I face selling the car because there is no way that I would feel safe or comfortable driving it again. I have two young grandchildren that visit me frequently and I would never take the chance of having them in an unsafe car. I expect that you will be eager to conduct a full investigation into this matter and conduct a full inspection of my car as soon as possible.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Dec 022014

Elantra

The contact owns a 2014 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the speedometer was not reading accurately and fluctuated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jul 202014

Elantra

The contact owns a 2014 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that when attempting to resume acceleration after a complete stop, the vehicle decelerated. The failure occurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnosed or duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 300.

- Laxington, SC, USA

May 072014

Elantra

I has recently traded in my 2012 Hyundai Elantra for a 2014 Hyundai Elantra. The 2014 had started doing what the 2012 did occasionally, accelerate when I released my foot from the gas to switch to the brake to begin slowing down for a light. After I've applied the brake and I'm coasting before I need to apply it again, the car will accelerate. I used to think it was my imagination, then I read others confirming it does happen. Lately I've also had an issue with the car accelerating when I do touch the gas, the engine revs up and bolts forward like I floored it, but I only lightly touched the gas. I'll be bringing it to the dealer soon for these issues.

- Sayreville, NJ, USA

Jun 012014

Elantra 4-cyl

I was on a highway driving the vehicle (a 2014 Hyundai Elantra) at highway speed when it inexplicably "stalled" for lack of a better term. I quickly lost speed and could not accelerate despite the fact that I was pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor at one point. The vehicle simply did not respond. There was plenty of gas in the vehicle, so I had not run out of gas. The vehicle appeared to have shut off in the middle of operation. This resulted in a major accident on a highway where I, along with the other occupants within the vehicle, sustained significant injuries. Notably, no airbags deployed--even though the vehicle was struck several times from different angles and sustained heavy damage, including being crushed in from the rear.

- Freson, TX, USA

May 192014

Elantra

I took my foot off the gas pedal to slow the car down as I was approaching another vehicle in front of me stopped at a red light. My foot was neither on the gas nor the brake and the car accelerated as if I was pressing the gas pedal.

- Mckees Rocks, PA, USA

May 132014

Elantra

My low fuel indicator light had just turned on. Was going up a very slight grade and the car stopped in the middle of the road.

- Mckees Rocks, PA, USA

Mar 222014

Elantra 4-cyl

I was driving my 2014 Hyundai Elantra (that I had only had for 3 months, had 1,500 miles on the car) home from the airport, had my cruise control set on 55 for the previous 30 minutes, and I noticed the car in front of me was braking. Naturally, I pressed the brake as well to slow down, but the brakes did not work. The brake pedal was hard as rock and would not press in at all and therefore I could not slow down and cruise control did not disengage. I kept trying to press the brake as hard as I could, but the brake pedal was hard and would not work and cruise control kept accelerating. I pressed the cancel cruise control button on my steering wheel, but that did not disengage either. Just has I was shifting my car to neutral, my car rear-ended the Lexus in front of me. After my car struck the Lexus (my foot still on the brake pedal), I felt the brake finally press in and I was able to slow down and pull off the side of the road. The brake malfunction is still under investigation, but upon my own investigation, I found a recall of Hyundai Elantra year models 2007-2011 for this very issue that caused my car accident.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA