2014 Hyundai Elantra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Hyundai Elantra:

2014 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Aug 262016

08-26-16 while pulling into a parking space at a public park while doing less than 5 miles per hour, I experienced rapid unintended acceleration, plowed through a fence, sideswiped a tree, went off a grassy median back up onto a grassy median and then bounced off of that before the car finally came to rest. My brakes did not work and I had no control over the vehicle. It is a miracle that I am not dead as the park is on a very busy 4 lane road and is usually full of children.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA

Apr 222016

I purchased a pre-owned 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT on April 22, 2016. While driving home from the car dealer I heard a very loud noise, it sounded like a gun shot. I looked up and noticed that the panoramic sun roof had completely shattered and I quickly exited at the nearest high way exit. I was traveling 60 M.P.H on a straight away on highway 80 near vacaville, ca. The sunroof glass was closed but the interior screen was open. It had been raining earlier that day but it was clear and sunny at the time the sunroof exploded. I had only had the car for 3 hours in my possession when this happened.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 012016

The panoramic sunroof of our 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT spontaneously exploded. We were traveling on I-75N, about 25 miles N of bradenton, fl at 65 - 70 mph in sunny conditions, temperature around 70, about 10:30 a.M. there were no cars/trucks directly in front of us and we were not near an overpass. All windows were rolled up and the automatic HVAC system was on. We heard a loud boom somewhat like a shotgun blast in the ear. We looked around and saw the entire front section of the sunroof shattered. Glass rained in the car - front seat, back seat. There were large chunks of glass, small chunks, and even a piece of metal sunroof assembly in the car. We were frightened but managed to maintain control of the car. We pulled off at a rest stop to assess the problem. We are now afraid of the car - even if repaired, what next" another explosion? other safety problems" at the time of the explosion, the car had approximately 3500 miles on it. We have owned the car since October 28, 2015 having purchased it as a new car from harrisonburg Hyundai in Virginia.

- Crozet, VA, USA

Jan 202016

My car had less than 10,000 miles when a bubble in the tire wall front passenger side was noticed during a profesional inspection (9/23/2015). I was advised to replace the tire immediately when I called the dealership.I did so. Then during a state inspection in January of 2016 I received a call that the tire wall on the front driver's side had a bubble. My car had 17,800 miles on it at this point.this tire was also replaced and the owner of the inspection shop told me that he had serviced other people with the same make and model that had the same problems. At this point I am concerned about driving my car for fear that a tire will blow out. Neither of the bubbles were noticeable to me. They are not easily found unless someone is working on the car. I believe these tires are defective. I have read many complaints about them and feel that a recall is warranted due to danger from tires blowing out while driving.

- West Grove, PA, USA

Aug 042015

The issue is with the steering. No power steering, very hard to turn the steering wheel. Called the dealer. Brought the car to the dealer. 08/04/2015. Diagnose: The steering wheel and column all need to be replaced. The make of this car is a 2014 Elantra GT with only 6400 miles. 08/21/2015 still waiting on the part that is back order to come in.

- Mills River, NC, USA

Jul 092015

Pulled into parking spot. With my foot on the break, I was putting the car into park. Which is the only way to move the P, R, N, D,1,2. as soon as I moved it toward park, the car jolted forward hopping over the parking stump and into a light post.

- Ocalaż, FL, USA

May 012015

I am the financed owner of a black 2014 Hyundai Elantra that I had purchased in August of 2014. I was driving South bound on I-95 traveling in the farthest left lane when a car to the right of me, lost control of their vehicle and hit the rear passenger side of my car which pushed the front end of my car into the wall, which then caused the vehicle to do a 360 spin. After the 360 spin my vehicle had come to a complete stop facing North bound in the South bound I-95 lanes, immediately after stopping I was hit head on by an oncoming car. After being hit head on I was knocked unconscious and woke to my car in the emergency lanes to the right of the South bound lanes of I-95. I had realized that the passenger side window curtain airbags were the only airbags that had deployed during the entire car accident. After further inspection, it was obvious that the front frame of my vehicle was demolished right where the airbag sensors are located. I am highly concerned that there is a defect or malfunction with the airbags or possibly the computer system, not only for what could have been possible casualties, but a friend of mine has a 4 year old and purchased the exact same make/model vehicle. As well as, when I purchased this vehicle, I was assured that it was a safe car and that its safety features were up to par. I would feel reassured knowing that this was taken into further investigation because I am uncomfortable with the unknown reason of why my airbags did not deploy in a major accident.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA