CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2016 Tucson comes with a dual-clutch, 7-speed transmission. But Hyundai forgot to tell you about one key phrase – zero-move. That's right, an alarming number of owners have said their SUV wouldn't accelerate after a stop.

Turns out that's because the transmission's application logic has been stumbling all over itself. Hyundai recalled the issue in September 2016, but it's difficult to say if owners are out-of-the-woods, or if this is just a sign of things to come.

2016 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Tucson:

2016 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 302016

Tucson

There is an issue with lack of acceleration in this vehicle when accelerating from a standstill. For example, from a stop sign or traffic light. Most times, when I step on the gas when I am at a stop, this car hesitates for a moment before it finally lurches forward. It is a serious safety concern because when I am pulling out into traffic and think I have allowed myself ample time, this car hesitates for such a long time before finally moving forward it could cause an accident. It happens almost every time I drive it.

- Shelby Twp, MI, USA

Jun 042016

Tucson

Stopped at a gas station to get gas, turned the vehicle ignition off, pumped gas, got back in & started the vehicle, sat there for a minute or two put the vehicle in park & pressed the gas, RPM's revved way up but the vehicle would not move forward. Checked everything to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything; no 'check engine' light came on or any other dashlights, emergency brake was not engaged. Turned the switch off & on several times, waiting a few minutes each time, then would start and shift into reverse (it would back up), neutral, & finally drive & still nothing happened. Finally gave up, put it in reverse & backed away from the pumps to a safe place. Called Hyundai blue link but they were no help as the vehicle wasn't sending any codes. I tried a couple more times then gave up & had it towed to the dealership (after speaking with the salesman). Once it was off the truck, the salesman tried it several times & got the same result. He was just as stunned as I was. On mon I called Hyundai America & opened a case so there would be documentation. I had done some research online over the weekend & found a Hyundai forum where people were discussing the same problem that I was had. I then went to the dealership & met with the service director & the technician working on my vehicle. Of course, they didn't know what to do even though it had done the same thing with the service director that morning but he finally got it to move. The dealership called Hyundai tech services & they made an update/adjustment. For now it seems to be fine, but I am totally paranoid about driving it now! I think it's very important that the NHTSA get involved & get to the bottom of this issue as soon as possible.

- Springville, AL, USA

Jun 152016

Tucson

Was jerky when getting through 1st and 2nd gear. I thought that might be normal for a 4 cylinder, since I'd been driving a 6 cylinder for 20 years. Thought I just had to get used to it. 10 days from purchase, at ~ 300 miles, just filled up with fuel and was attempting to leave the gas station... pressed on accelerator and nothing happened... let up and pressed again... nothing happened... let up and pressed again... it started slowly jerking forward, into oncoming traffic, it kept jerking and slowly accelerated until I hit about 5 gear, then it smoothed out. Frightening! 26 days from purchase, at ~ 700 miles, from a cold start, backed out of driveway and put the car in drive... revved through 1st and 2nd gear and hadn't moved yet... hit 3rd gear and it jerked forward and started slowly moving. 30 days from purchase, @ ~ 816 miles, stopped for a red light... light turned green and the car wouldn't move... shifted through all of the gears (park, reverse, neutral, drive) several times... in drive for about the 4th time and stomped on the accelerator... it pealed out... drove straight to the dealership... jerkily pulled into a parking spot. Just over 3 hours later, was told they discharged the capacitor completely and "re-taught it" the system. Thought it might be fixed, but, I'm at day 37 and can swear that it hesitated yesterday and this morning. Will keep you abreast. This is a potentially deadly malfunction!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 192015

Tucson

I had to replace the throttle body and rear shock at approximately under 2000 miles. It hesitates badly. It decelerates as I press down on the accelerator. It had low coolant before a long trip so I filled it up as it advised. When the vehicle was hot the coolant was approximately 1/2 inch to 1 inch below the minimum fill line. After my trip I took it to the certified Hyundai dealer service center for tire rotation and oil change and they advised the coolant was low again, but that there are no leaks. I told them I just filled it up and so they are checking again for leaks. It slammed into gear as I was going on an off ramp from an interstate. It jerked and shimmied like it was going to die when I was at a stoplight. It is brand new. It should not be having so many issues and no one will help me with it I just keep hearing "there is nothing wrong with it, it is just the way Hyundai designed the vehicle." Hyundai needs to work on this. There should be multiple recalls on this vehicle. It has a popping sound every time I reach 20 mph after taking it out of park. It has a rattle in the frame/rear passenger door area. No place can fix these sounds. I just have to deal with it all. It has been nothing but a nightmare since purchased in November 2015. This really needs multiple recalls on it. I just got an email about a hood latch recall too. Not even from Hyundai... from car fax. Hyundai did not contact consumers regarding the hood latch recall. They should be required to. The dealer did not contact me about it either. The dealer, bob poynter columbus, in refuses to service my brand new vehicle under warranty and they will not speak with me at all. They will not tell me where they obtained my vehicle from as a dealer trade either.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Mar 012016

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Meridian, ID, USA

May 192016

Tucson

05/06/2016 @ 1600 cond-rainy. While at a stop light I pressed the accelerator and the SUV did not move. The engine revved but the SUV did not go forward. It slowly engaged and lurched forward after approx 3-5 seconds. 5/19/2016 @ 1800 cond-rain /not driven in approx 4 days. Less than a mile from start and had been driving for approx 3-5 mins-while waiting at a stop light I attempted to accelerate when the light changed and the veh did not move. I pressed the accelerator to the floorboard and the engine revved for approximately 5-7 seconds before the veh lurched/jumped forward and slowly moved. I again immediately went to Hyundai. I was given a loaner vehicle - 2016 Tucson. 5/21/2016 @ 1350 same non-movement while accelerating from a stop occurred w/the loaner vehicle. It had not been driven in 2 days cond-rainy. This occurred approx 3 mins after start and w/in a mile. Hyundai Corp are not taking responsibility for the issues with this veh. 3 similar issues from customers were reported to this dealership. I do not feel safe driving this veh or allowing any member of my family to drive this veh. It is an accident in waiting either from being hit from behind by another veh or from striking another B/C of the lurching. I had to put my hazards on and hope that I did not get hit from behind. I am not satisfied and want a refund for both of the veh's I purchased due to this huge safety issue. At random times, usually from a stop, but sometimes when pulling into traffic, the veh does not move. I consider this to be a very hazardous defect. Hyundai is unable to replicate the error, so eng. Advises to release the veh back to me, they are unaware of any similar problems. I will never drive another Hyundai veh again B/C it is unsafe and the lack of responsibility to rectify their manufacturing problem. It is not a driver's operational error.

- Dothan, AL, USA

May 212016

Tucson

Reported hesitation when trying to accelerate from a stop, in traffic, or when exiting a turn. Service tech acknowledged as did the sales team that they experienced the issue in the vehicle but since there are no recalls that apply to the vehicle there is nothing they can do until corporate decides to address the issue. Have had several times when the vehicle would not accelerate when trying to merge with traffic and hesitates or lunges when coming to a stop some times. Continues to happen when driving since first purchased on 5/21/2016.

- Fountain, CO, USA

Apr 042016

Tucson

The car occasionally exhibits the following behavior: 1.upon acceleration from a stop, the transmission seems to be in a gear higher than first, which then causes the motor to stall and lose power for one to three seconds before resuming acceleration. The loss of power puts the car in peril of being rear ended by vehicles following behind. 2.when in this state, moving the gearshift lever left to enter manual mode fails the transmission stays in drive despite several attempts to engage manual mode. 3.because the transmission never downshifts to lower gears, the car runs rough at slower speeds. 4.turning the car off and back on again restores it to normal operation until the errant behavior happens again on random, unpredictable occasions. This car is equipped with a turbo-charger. A factory recall to fix an accelerator hesitation improved, but did not eliminate, said hesitation.

- Epping, NH, USA

Apr 012016

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai tuscon. The contact stated that while attempting to merge into traffic, the vehicle failed to accelerate properly. The contact mentioned that the transmission fluid over heated. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. In addition, the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25.

- Canon Lake, TX, USA