ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2016 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems: no acceleration from stop

No Acceleration From Stop

2016 Hyundai Tucson (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2016 Tucson comes with a dual-clutch, 7-speed transmission. But Hyundai forgot to tell you about one key phrase – zero-move. That's right, an alarming number of owners have said their SUV wouldn't accelerate after a stop.

Turns out that's because the transmission's application logic has been stumbling all over itself. Hyundai recalled the issue in September 2016, but it's difficult to say if owners are out-of-the-woods, or if this is just a sign of things to come.

9.0

2. aug 10th they have a new software update (4 reports)
  3. recall & fix were released on 8/10 by hyundai (3 reports)
2016 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Tucson:

2016 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 262018

Tucson ES 1.6L

A car that hesitates is a very dangerous car. An accident waiting to happen. I do not feel safe at all with this car and Hyundai should be held responsible for either a fix-which they do not have or buy back car for what I paid for it two years ago. I purchased the car based on all the safety features it offered and now I have a car that hesitates and shudders almost all the time upon accelerating from a stop. This has occurred since I purchased the car.

- Rob A., Port Washington, US

Mar 082018

Tucson Limited 2.0L T

Acceleration not good from a stop. Takes time to accelerate.

- Edwin G., Coral Springs, US

Aug 192016

Tucson ES

WE HAVE COMPLAINED SEVERAL TIMES. THEY WERE TO DO SOME RECALLS IN 8/16. STILL TO THIS DATE WE ARE STILL HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. WE JUST COMPLAINED OCT 2 ABOUT THE TRANSMISSION AGAIN WHICH WAS NOT NOTED ON THE PAPERWORK. WE WERE TOLD THAT WE SHOULD USE "ECO" DRIVE INSTEAD OF THE DEFAULT DRIVE. THE CAR IS STILL ACTING UP. WE ALSO HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS IS THE WAY THE TRANSMISSION WORKS. WE HAVE PULLED OUT INTO TRAFFIC ON THE INTERSTATE, THE CAR DID NOT RESPOND, THEN JUMPED FORWARD. THE CAR JUMPS FORWARD GOING UP OUR DRIVEWAY AND UP SMALL GRADES OF DRIVEWAYS. VERY DISSATISFIED WITH OUR TUCSON. WE HAVE HAD A SONATA AND ELANTRA AND WERE ALWAYS HAPPY WITH THEM. WE EVEN RECOMMENDED A SANTA FE TO MY DAUGHTER, AND THE CAR WAS PURCHASED AT THE SAME DEALERSHIP. WE CAN'T AFFORD TO TRADE IT IN AT THIS TIME, OR WE WOULD.

- sprowls, Claysville, US

Dec 152016

Tucson Sport 1.6L Turbo

I have had my Tucson for 1 year. I have the same complaints that many others have about the transmission. I have had it in Gettel Hyundai several times for this issue, the last issue 2 weeks ago, I went to back out of parking space, the car would not move, so I turned it off then back on, it jerked in reverse, I then put it in drive it stalled and shuddered for for several feet until it lurched forward and then seemed sluggish for several miles. I has had recalls and service recalls a few times, nothing has cured this 100%, sometimes it feels great but most of the time I feel like I'm driving an old standard shift truck. I have been told this tranny is supposed to shift like a stick, I've driven many stick shifts, none ever felt like this. I have tried driving in all the modes as well as the manual option, still feels like crap. So today the dealership said that it maybe getting too hot because of the weather, I live in Florida, this makes no sense. A rep from dealership say they are doing a cold reset of the transmission, brought it back after an hour, it stalled at a red light, so I accused them of doing nothing, all they said is that it was running like new, not really sure what that means by reset. I'm really stressed out over this, I am considering lemon law if Hyundai doesn't give me an option, like trading in in for another vehicle, although I don't think I want another Hyundai and I have owned 4 of them. Any suggestions for other users would be appreciated. Thank you

- enm3866, Sarasota, US

Aug 282017

Tucson Limited 1.6t

• CVT transmission

This the third time this has happened. But it also was the worst event of the three.

The previous two events were brief, meaning the car hesitated only a few seconds., then launched forward and began to move.

This time it was a full thirty seconds before the car engaged and moved. And only after I placed the car in park and then drive several times.

This is a serious safety issue.

- Sal C., Myrtle Beach, US

Apr 282017

Tucson Limited

The 2016 Hyundai Tucson after the transmission recall, continues to have intermittent no acceleration from a stop / rolling stop. RPMs will increase but it will be 3-5 seconds before the transmission engages when the issue does occur. The car then jolts forwards because of the high RPMs. I have had multiple near misses due to this. This problem has the potential to be life threatening and is completely unsafe.

- Erik C., Maineville, US

Jun 202016

Tucson GLS 2.0L

I bought my Hyundai Tuscon in September of 2015, I drove it whole fall and winter no problem. Summer came and I had it in service for Oil change and got the car back. I stopped on a traffic light and light turned green stepped on gas and car would not move, barely moving at all. I was like what is going on, so I ignored it, but then it happened again.

I thought that technicians screwed up something while changing oil or something, so I took it to service and of course they couldn't replicate the issue. It is very dangerous to drive. I have 3 small kids riding in the car with me. It happened all summer along. I took it to service again they replaced the air sensor thinking that will fix it but nothing same issue. I've asked if there was a recall for my car they said no. They keep telling me it's something with the DCT transmission that it how it works is the issue.

By the time we kept going back and forth winter comes again and the car drives as it should. NO ISSUES, Summer of 2017 comes and here we go again same issue. It only happens when the outside temperature is above 24 degrees Celsius. I mentioned this to the dealer and no fix yet. I went to the dealer and i made them take the car and have them drive it for a week and the only thing that happened to them was a revving a little higher. So they sent data to Hyundai HQ and they told them to replace the inhibitor switch.

I got the car back and the issue is still there. I have a thing called CO-Pilot plugged in my car right now which I push a button to record every time this happens so they can investigate the issue. I will report back on one happens later. Only I know that this is a very serious issue but nobody is taking it seriously. All technical advisors behave like I told them a minor issue such as that window will not open and not something that could endanger my family.

They keep telling me how they only have this issue with 1.6L vehicles.

I hope HQ take this seriously and fix this once and for all.

- Dusan K., Mississauga, ON, Canada

Nov 162016

Tucson 1.6L

This vehicle has been to the dealer five times for same problem. The dealer checks the codes and states vehicle is ok. Still same problem. Called Hyundai and received a case number. I received a callback from Erin' who stated my two options were to take it back to the dealer or lodge a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

I have another appointment with the dealer scheduled. This will be my sixth. I feel like a ping pong ball being passed back and forth between the dealer and Hyundai.

I agree with all other complainants that this vehicle is unsafe to drive.

I don't think anyone else cares about my safety. I would stop payment to Hyundai if it wouldn't affect my credit

- Cheryl T., Johnston, US

Jul 032017

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

This vehicle has had this problem since I bought it. There is a hesitation when the transmission is searching for a gear which is annoying but this problem is WORSE! When I press the accelerator and the engine revs but only creeps forward slowly into traffic, this is downright scary! I have had the recall performed on the transmission and the update for that recall. When it didn't fix the problem, I took it back to the dealer and they told me that this is a problem they are aware of in the Tuscon but there is nothing more that can be done to fix the problem. Come on Hyundai, I suppose it's going to take a driver being killed in order for you to FIX THIS DANGEROUS PROBLEM!

- Beth B., Laconia, NH, US

Jun 012016

Tucson Limited 1.6t

I came to a stop at a red light and then the light turned green. I tried to proceed forward and make a left turn in busy rush hour with many vehicles moving forward in back of me, expecting me to continue to drive forward. My car shuddered, hesitated and died. I was so worried because there were cars in back of me trying to make the light. I couldn't believe this was happening to a car with just over 2,000 miles on it. I called Hyundai road side assistance while trying not to get slammed into. By the way that service is the worst, after 1.5 hours I called them back and told me it would be another 113 minutes. I finally called my own tow truck and now in a battle to get reimbursed.

Once the car got to the dealership I was told the next day that it was JUST the car's computer TRYING to learn my driving habits. What? Something called adaptive transmission. So, the transmission was trying to see what it was like to drive forward when the light turns green??? Not a good answer!! I then called a specialist out of state in MD and he told me that the Hyundai 2016 now has the transmission that Volvo had to get rid of. It basically puts your car into neutral when you come to a long stop TO SAVE ON GAS! Incidentally I would rather pay for the gas and have a car to drive, thank you!

Yesterday when I was driving and came to the same red light that I stopped at on 6/1/2016 where I had the mechanical failure my car once again shuddered and almost died on me when the light turned green and made an attempt to go forward and turn left. How uncanny is that?

I just left a message for the service manager. Very upset and frustrated with a car that has 3000K miles

I am really worried and concerned to drive my car for fear of causing harm to myself or others on the road.

- 4donna, Brentwood, TN, USA

Jul 082016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

On May 14 my wife and I picked up our brand new Hyundai Tuscan Limited. It has all the toys. Love the car!! However, on July 8 my wife called me crying that there was something wrong with her car! She was at a stop light, second in line. The light changed and the car would not move forward. We had it towed to the dealer. They gave us a loaner and kept our car. At this time the service advisor said he'd never heard of this issue. He called the next day to say that they had not found a problem, but had seen a service advisory for a TCM "re-learn" for the transmission. Car worked fine for 3 days. On July 14, I was driving to the dealership to pick up our new registration and it did it to me. I was expecting this possibility since I had found and read 58 complaints on this site. I cycled from drive to park a few times and the car did start to slowly move forward. I then slapped it into the manual shift mode and it worked fine. I drove several miles to the dealership shifting in manual mode and can say that there is no mechanical issue with the transmission, because it lugged when I didn't shift soon enough, and responded correctly to downshifts. The dealer still has the car. The service tech was able to experience it malfunction during a short test drive. They say Hyundai doesn't know how to fix this issue, though it doesn't effect every Tuscon. It seems to be a result of an electronic/software update that has been done to some of the Tuscans, although I don't know why. This is a major safety issue. I love the car, but I want them to replace it with a Santa Fe Sport with all of the same toys. I have not heard anything from Hyundai, even though I have a Case #.

- Ralph D., Bear, DE, USA

Jul 082016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

I purchased my 2016 Hyundai Tuscon AWD Limited 1.6L Turbo back in February 2016 from Phillipsburg Easton Hyundai in Phillipsburg, NJ and in the 5+ months that I have owned it, I have had about 4-5 issues with the transmission or transmission clutch module. The first time I had an issue was when my car started to feel like the engine was "jumping" coming off of a traffic light and resulting in my engine over heating with less than 4000 miles. This issue was resolved by having the transmission clutch module reset after having the car towed there via Hyundai Roadside Assistance.

The second time I had an issue with the car was when my car told me the engine was overheating towards the end of my trip down to Camden, NJ for a concert while sitting in stop and go traffic to get to the parking lot for the venue.

The third issue happened while driving in the pouring rain one night. Coming off a traffic light, my car WOULD NOT move while pressing the gas pedal. I took my foot off the gas pedal and stepped on the brake for a few seconds and tried the gas pedal again, but the car would still NOT move. Once I placed the car into PARK for a few seconds and back into drive, the car drove perfectly fine for the rest of my trip home.

The fourth issue happened again coming after driving in a hard rain storm. Coming off a traffic light, my car WOULD NOT move while stepping on the gas. This time I immediately placed the car back into PARK and back into drive and then the car drove fine for the rest of my trip to the Poconos.

I am starting to really fear driving my car in wet weather because of the consistency of the issues with the car not accelerating off of a stop at a traffic light or even stop sign. I have less than 10,000 miles on the car and have been to the dealership to look at the issue, but have been told that they could not replicate any of the issues and found nothing wrong with the transmission. I wish Hyundai would have a recall on the transmission or transmission control module, so that I can enjoy driving my Tucson again without having the fear of having transmission problems at any given time on the road.

- Kyle S., Flemington, NJ, US

Feb 062017

Tucson Sport 1.6L

Noticed this problem from the first month I bought vehicle. Mentioned it to dealer and they said to bring it in and there was a recall to reprogram the computer that would fix it. It was reprogrammed but the problem is still occurring. It has warmed up here in Florida and the problem is getting worse. I pulled out from a stop sign the other day and the car would not speed up. I was almost hit by another car coming. I have called the dealer and they are going to look at it again. I feel very unsafe in this vehicle. I hope this will fix it.

- David S., Lady Lake, fl, US

Jun 292016

Tucson Limited All Wheel Drive 1.6turbo

We took our Hyundai into the dealership on July 6th, 2016.... It's still there. It has been deemed "unsafe to drive" When taking off from a complete stop engine would rev, RPMs would go up but the car wouldn't move. On several occasions I was almost rear ended due to me not moving. I've been told by Hyundai that there is a "software update" available in 3 weeks ( I was told this on August 3rd.) I can't believe that they can continue to sell this car with the issues it has.

- jdippel, Abingdon, MD, USA

Feb 032017

Tucson Limited 1.6L

I have called Hyundai USA in California several times. Taken Tucson in for 4 updates on computer systems. Was actually told today, after many unanswered phone calls, that they would send me a video showing "how to drive my car"!!!!!!!!!

- Theresa R., Richmond, VA, USA

Jan 042017

Tucson ECO V6

DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAIDISGUSTED AND DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER Case #9595081 and #9868129

To whom it may concern:

UPDATE 1/4/2017: Unfortunately, the issues that I have had with my vehicle have still not been corrected. As of today, the Hyundai Tucson that I signed for still has some type of dysfunctional dual Clutch/transmission.

The car was brought in to Pugi Hyundai (Downers Grove, IL) and I specifically stated these concerns and that I would like the vehicle inspected for this issue. When I picked up the vehicle I was told that the issue had been addressed - IT WAS NOT. Again, I brought the vehicle in to Pugi Hyundai for the same issue in November of 2016 to address the same issues. Once again, I was told that everything checked out and was ok.

Unfortunately, the clutch/transmission issue has become worse. Now, when giving the car gas the engine will make a revving noise and will not move. Then the vehicle will jerk and speed up quickly.

I called Pugi Hyundai today and spoke with Glenn (the service manager) about this issue. He told me that I never brought the vehicle in for these specific issues (this is untrue and was never documented by Pugi Hyundai) and could not have an engineer take a look at the vehicle until I had gone through the basic protocols.

1. It would be great if Hyundai could have my account notated properly for the dates of 8/27/2016 and November of 2016 that I did bring the vehicle in to have it inspected for clutch/transmission issues.

2. To also have a Hyundai engineer take a look at my vehicle.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE

I purchased a 2016 Hyundai Tucson with Eco Boost in October of 2015. Unfortunately, I have had a number of issues with the vehicle since it was purchased from Ettleson Hyundai in Countryside, IL. This company claims to have a bumper to bumper warranty however there are a number of issues that have gone wrong with the car and it's not even a year old. This vehicle is made of shoddy material and I would never purchase another nor recommend Hyundai. 1.Left side Heater Makes Knocking Sound Within the first few months of having the vehicle I began to hear a knocking sound on the right side passenger side of the vehicle when turning the heat on. I took the vehicle back to Ettelson Hyundai for repair and was told that the issue was fixed. However, the moment that I drove off the lot and turned the heat on I could clearly hear the knocking sound. I felt as if I had been lied to just to get me out of the dealership and on my way. I immediately, brought the car back to Ettelson and proceeded to show them that the vehicle was still making a knocking sound. ONLY THEN, were my concerns addressed and was the problem diagnosed properly and a part ordered. 2. Inside Bumper of the Trunk is Cracked Again, within the first few months of having the vehicle the inside bumper of the trunk was cracked due to the cold winter months. I brought the vehicle in to Ettleson Hyundai for repair thinking that I could have this fixed. However, I was told that it was not covered by warranty and that I would have to pay for the repairs. This is UNACCEPTABLE - I did not have the vehicle for more than 6 months and it was already falling a part. This is clearly another representation of shoddy craftsmanship by your designers and engineers. I will have poured thousands of dollars into this vehicle in monthly payments by the time it is paid off and I've got portions of the inside of the vehicle CRACKING from the change in temperatures. 3. Recall - Hood Latch How could your company design a vehicle that has a dysfunctional latch for the hood? This is unbelievable and scary. I drive to work everyday on an express way and could have not only KILLED myself but others. Is this something that Hyundai prides itself on? Making a profit at the expense of the possible serious bodily injury or death of its customers and others? 4. Volume Button on the steering wheel does not work Again, shoddy craftsmanship by Hyundai. I have not had the car for even a year and the volume button on the steering wheel is no longer working. Of course, I will be expected to pay for this repair although, I will be pouring thousands of dollars into this crappy vehicle by the time it is paid off. 5. Recall - Fuel Injection/Transmission/Dual Clutch Again, a dysfunctional dual Clutch/transmission can lead to serious bodily harm or even death for your customers - I guess only the bottom line matters in your quarterly meetings. Who cares if a few folks might die and you may have to pay out a couple millions in a class lawsuit. I understand that there was a fix issued for this problem on 8/10/16. However, I only knew about this fix because I brought the vehicle in for an oil change on 8/27/16 - I NEVER RECEIVED A RECALL NOTICE! This has been a pervasive problem. August of 2016 is not the first time that I brought this crappily made car in concerning its hesitation, shaking, or feeling as if it would shut off in the middle of the street. I brought the vehicle in to Ettleson Hyundai but was told that this is normal for a "Turbo" engine. I was turned away with a vehicle that has the potential to harm myself and others. By the way, the car still hesitates and shakes even after the supposed update was conducted on 8/27/16. SHAME ON YOU HYUNDAI FOR PUTTING SUCH A DANGEROUS INSTRUMENT OUT ON THE ROADS. Disgusted and Ashamed Hyundai Owner, Shawna

- Shawna M., Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jul 272016

Tucson Limited Turbo

While sitting at a red light, I push on the gas pedal but the car does not move (like the car is in neutral). Put the car in park, turned it off and on and tried again - no movement. Tried this several times - nothing. This has happened twice while I'm sitting at a red light on a busy street. Luckily, I had people stop both times to push my car out of harm's way, but I definitely could've caused an accident. The first time it happened, the car sat for 45 minutes or so after it was initially pulled off the road and I tried to move it again. It would move in reverse, but it would not move forward. After sitting 90 minutes (that's when the tow truck arrived), it was fine. It moved forward like there was never a problem. I still had it towed to the dealer; but of course they weren't able to replicate the problem, so they said "bring it back when it happens again." 6 weeks later (tonight), it happens again. Again, sitting in the middle of a line of traffic at a red light. Push on the gas pedal, no movement. This time, a tow truck arrived in about 60 minutes, but the car still would not move forward (it would go in reverse, but not forward) by the time the tow truck arrived. It's at the dealer again... The first time it was at the dealer for this issue, they said they had another customer's Tucson sitting on their lot with similar issues waiting for an Engineer from Hyundai to come in and take a look at it. I tried to follow up to see if they found anything, but no one has responded to my call. A BRAND NEW CAR THAT I'VE HAD FOR 8 MONTHS SHOULD NOT LEAVE ME SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF TRAFFIC TWICE IN 6 WEEKS!!! Let's see what the dealership says this time. If i have it my way, I will not be bringing my car home until they figure out what is wrong and they fix it. In the mean time, they owe me a loaner. I am beyond upset, angry and frustrated. My husband bought a brand new Sonata in 2011 and has had several recalls on it over the life of the car; we will not buy another Hyundai.

- Ginger C., Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 212015

Tucson

Hesitation from stop was a problem during test drive but salesman convinced me it was due to "turbo lag" & that i would get used to it- I bought into the BS. I have now had the car for over one year (no longer covered under Lemon Law) and the hesitation is getting worse and completely unpredictable. Have taken it into the shop twice now for same problem to no avail. Now that it appears there will be a recall coming in the next few weeks, hopefully this is resolved before someone is seriously hurt or worse. Very scary when it happens- especially if you're trying to pull out into traffic- yikes!

- shbartle, Longmont, USA

Oct 122016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

This complaint has been a continuing complaint since late 03/2016. I have taken to dealership twice, April and June, 2016, both times told nothing wrong. I called today because it is time for an oil change and I have a safety recall for a secondary hood latch. When I talked to Angel I also mentioned that my car needed to be checked for a continuing problem with the transmission. Angel said let me see if they have the parts for your two (2) recalls. I stopped her and said I only knew about one. We covered the hood latch and she told me that the other one was for CONTROL LOGIC (COMPUTER). I told her that I had no information on that and she said that it was new. She checked and they have the necessary items to fix both recalls. I went to the internet to find out what control logic is and found that IT HAS TO WITH THE TRANSMISSION. Let me see I think that is the thing I have been complaining about all along, since April 2016. Since my initial visit I have also had the vehicle roll down from an incline, like a standard would do, and lurch forward with speed. I am very concerned about my safety and any passengers.

Update from Oct 18, 2016: Hyundai finally decided that I wasn't the idiot. There really was something wrong with the transmission and they have issued a safety recall. I have just gone today to have the fix installed so will have to drive awhile to see if better. The sad news is that I did some research and Consumer Reports reported on the problem with my car last December, thats 2015. I reported to the dealership on the problem in April and again in June of 2016.

Needless to say, I was really upset when I got to the dealership.

- Ann D., Daphne, AL, USA

Sep 252016

Tucson Limited

I have had this car 1 month and was at a stop sign. Sure enough I try to go and am pressing and the car is going nowhere. I had to wait 3 hours for a tow and then they did the transmission update and said it was fixed. Well I got my car back it is still not right. The pedal does not match the acceleration and is very jumpy. I feel so unsafe in this car and want a way out of this. It was a $32,000 car and I felt much safer in my old Sonanta. When I go to make a turn, I never know how quickly the car will respond. I would NEVER suggest this car to someone as I truly feel it is a death trap.

- gaulisa, Addison, IL, US