CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2016 Tucson comes with a dual-clutch, 7-speed transmission. But Hyundai forgot to tell you about one key phrase – zero-move. That's right, an alarming number of owners have said their SUV wouldn't accelerate after a stop.

Turns out that's because the transmission's application logic has been stumbling all over itself. Hyundai recalled the issue in September 2016, but it's difficult to say if owners are out-of-the-woods, or if this is just a sign of things to come.

2016 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Tucson:

2016 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 152016

Tucson

I just purchased a Hyundai Tucson and it's not accelerating properly. It doesn't respond when you press the gas. I've had this vehicle for 1 week and it's getting worse. I'm scared this vehicle is not safe and may cause me to be in an accident.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 202016

Tucson

When accelerating from a stop, the vehicle has a delayed acceleration. This has happened to me multiple times even after the NHTSA recall campaign number 16V-628 has been applied (reprogramming of the dct module).

- Lexington, MA, USA

Apr 012016

Tucson

My Tucson slows down when I press down on the accelerator to speed up. It did this multiple times on my trip from Indiana to Colorado. This is extremely dangerous! I saw an upcoming recall which Hyundai does not have any fix for yet, but it appears to only be on specific ones with dual clutch. I don't think mine has that, but it definitely has safety issues and Hyundai will not assist me with it. There are multiple other issues with my new vehicle also which I cannot get assistance with and have filed multiple complaints, multiple places.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Apr 012016

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. While depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle failed to immediately accelerate before suddenly surging forward, hesitating, and bucking. Also, while operating the vehicle, the transmission overheated and the "stop safely transmission temperature high" message displayed. The cause of the failure was not determined. No further information was available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Oct 122016

Tucson

I took my 2016 Tucson into the dealership on 9/23/2016 to address the dual clutch transmission recall. Prior to that, my Tucson would randomly jerk, not accelerate when pressing on the accelerator, and the rpms would go haywire. Now, 10/12/2016, after I took it in for a recall, I am still experiencing the same issue. It's happened once in slow traffic, and just this morning on the highway on my way to work. This time however, the Tucson's rpms went from the 2X area to the 4X area without provocation, causing the Tucson to drastically accelerate, almost causing me to rear end someone. This was without me manually accelerating. At this point, I feel like I'm driving a deathtrap and am utterly disappointed that Hyundai has done nothing to truly correct this issue.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Nov 012015

Tucson

Multiple issues. Main issue for now- press the accelerator and the vehicle slows down. Major hesitation. Hesitates from a stop and when already driving. Today it shook and felt like it was going to die for the 2nd time since I've had it. It has been in the shop numerous times for multiple issues and has already had the throttle body and rear suspension replaced. It also had the hood latch replaced due to a recall and it was losing coolant apparently through the cap.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Sep 022016

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to respond without warning. In addition, the vehicle independently decelerated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on three separate occasions, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Aug 012016

Tucson

I bought my car 2 months ago, most of the time when I try to move from a full stop, light or park my car donT want to move as you press the gas pedal you only hear the RPM raisen but car stays still after a few secunds the car will it moves abruptly and it's hard to control the movement as you donT know when it will start moving

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Jul 192016

Tucson

The first sign of trouble with the vehicle concerned the computerized functions within the vehicle. I could not sync my phone to the car and other issues. The second sign of trouble was when I was on my way to work one rainy morning. I exited the expressway and stopped at the red light. Once the light turned green - the car would not move. I sat there for a few lights attempting to get the car to move. It finally jerked and accelerated very quickly and I immediately took the car to the dealership. I was told that there was nothing wrong with the car because they road tested the car and did not have the same problem. I kept having all sorts of problems after this, such as jerking, lurching, lights flickering in and out, to name a few. The transmission seems to be confused and I consider this car to be quite unsafe to drive. Eventually I took the car back to the dealer and they replaced a hood latch - something I did not even know I needed and performed a software cluster that was supposed to repair the vehicle. They kept the car for a full week. I got the car back and did not have it 24 hours before it started acting up again, but even worse than before. It still shoots out after the accelerator has been tapped gently, lurches and jerks forward, stalls and stops, especially if it is raining. I don't even want to think about trying to drive this car once the winter has set in. I am already afraid to drive it. I have been attempting to communicate with the dealer (world Hyundai of matteson, il ) and Hyundai motors to no avail. I have to pay for a car that is unsafe to drive. I am afraid they aren't going to make any real changes unless someone has a tragic accident and dies.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 182016

Tucson

There is a problem with the 1.6L turbo dual clutch transmission. On three or more occations, pressing the accellerator after being at a couple stop at a traffic light resulted in the vehicle revving to the redline and the car not moving. The last time it happened (June 18th 2016 ~2pm), the car began to roll backwards because I was on a slight incline. I almost hit the vehicle behind me. I tried tried putting it in park. I tried switching to manual mode. I tried turning the car off and on. Nothing worked. It would not move. It was as though it was stuck in neutral. Then without reason, it began to move again. When it did move, it was extremely jerky and lurched forward a couple of times. That was the worst and most frightening. Lately all it has been doing is once or twice a day on average it does the slow acceleration and lurch. This happens during my morning and evening commute. Once it has happened, it does not happen until the next day. I have been lucky that it has not happened while turning into traffic. But it is clearly a dangerous situation.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jul 102016

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. While attempting to accelerate from a stop, the vehicle failed to move forward. There were no warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred randomly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 7,000. The VIN was not available.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 092016

Tucson

Unable to move from a stopped position with the car in drive. Dual clutch accelerator issue with this model with no current fix.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Dec 012015

Tucson

I have a 2016 Hyundai Tucson limited which has a major issue with the lack of acceleration from stop. When trying to move onto a highway/road from a light or stop sign when you step on the gas nothing happens then all of a sudden it lurches ahead. This is a very unsafe situation. When you step on the gas you expect the vehicle to respond and it does not. Also going through a parking lot and not really accelerating at all it lurches and backs off and lurches and backs off. Then when you do step on the gas it almost quits then lurches. I'm told its caused by the manual celinoid which causes the automatic transmission to engage. At the present time I'm not driving the vehicle and have a loaner. Hyundai has sent me paperwork to buy back the vehicle but then I have nothing with which to purchase another vehicle.

- Smithville, TN, USA

Mar 162016

Tucson

I purchased this vehicle in Jan 2016 and have less than 2000 miles on the vehicle. I am having dct transmission issues. Had noticed that on several occasions the vehicle is very sluggish and has some difficulty accelerating from a complete stop and at times it lurches forward. This is an intermittent and ongoing issue, but very troublesome, none the less. This occurs during normal in town traffic and especially going up hills from a complete stop. There have also been issues in traffic where it accelerates unexpectedly. I have taken the vehicle into the dealer on two occasions in a seven day period, after deciding that this is not safe to drive at times. When I made the initial appt the receptionists stated that there have been several vehicles in for this issue. The initial time at the dealer, they completed the latch recall and reset the computer to relearn the system, hoping that would be the saving grace. Driving down the road a couple of days later and the sound was so loud while driving, that I pulled over and the sound died down at bit. Made another appointment to take in the vehicle the following Monday, I was told that they were not able to recreate the issue and the service manager was not sure what was going on. It's very frustrating, because you have to take time off work to go back and forth to the dealer to hear that nothing is wrong. The dealer acts like they have never heard of the concern. I was also told that it's the design of the clutch that gives drivers the sluggish feel. I decided to come back to Hyundai to purchase a vehicle and I deeply regret that decision.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 202016

Tucson

Parking vehicle at my apartments when the accerlater just took on its own. It cause me to have an accident. Had turn key off and hit the buliding. It was stationary. Just parking on a flat parking area

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jul 182016

Tucson

Went to a Hyundai dealership to buy the Hyundai Santa Fe model. They didn't have one in stock but told me that the Hyundai Tucson model was just like the Santa Fe but a smaller version. I got the Tucson vehicle and in 2 days the air conditioner only blew hot air while on the highway. When I called the Hyundai service agent I was told to only use the air conditioner on the lowest fan. If I put it on a higher setting it will freeze up and blow only hot air. It was 95 out side. Later I came to a stop and when I stepped on the gas the engine revved up but the car would not go forward. I let off on the gas and tried again. The engine again revved up for about 6 seconds then the car lurched forward. The next day I had parked on a small incline. When I went to leave I: put my foot on the brake - released the parking brake - put it into drive and stepped on the gas. The engine revved up but did not go forward, instead it rolled backwards about 6 to 12 inches then it popped into gear and lurched forward. Every time I drove the car I had problems with that Hyundai Tucson. I felt unsafe and was worried that there would be an accident with the car acting like it did. Took the car to the dealership and they could not find anything wrong with the car. I looked on line and found hundreds of reviews of this vehicle all stating the same problems I was having. So, I traded in my 6 day old Tucson for a Santa Fe - and I am very happy now. The Tucson I felt was the most unsafe and unreliable vehicle that I have ever owned or driven. No one at the dealership told me about these known problems and/or issues with the duel transmission system. All I can say is this car is a potential life threatening vehicle and if Hyundai does not take care of these issues then there is a high probability of fatalities occurring.

- Banning, CA, USA

Jul 262016

Tucson

I purchased my 2016 hyjndai Tucson new and in less than a year it has been sent to the local Hyundai dealership via tow truck. Each time is the same issue, the vehicle while in drive will not move forward while the accelerator is pressed. The rpms will react to the accelerator, but the vehicle will not move. First, Hyundai deal said it was the dct needing update. Second, there was no evidence once it arrived at dealer, but I conteact Hyundai corporate to have a monitoring device installed. They left it in for less then a month. Third, just occured and Hyundai has a new case on the vehicle. I informed them via the phone and will send a certified letter stating this is the third and final time, and I will not accept the vehicle back due to the hazards it can cause on the road including collision, bodily hard, and even death.

- Nesbit, MS, USA

Jul 222016

Tucson

After coming to full stop and subsequently trying to proceed the dual clutch does not engage.this can result in possible accidents including caught in intersection turning left or being rear-ended.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 162016

Tucson

Vehicle fails to move and/or accelerate when pushing the gas pedal or it moves in a very "jerky" manner. I do mostly city driving. This happens randomly and after I have come to a complete stop, usually at a stop light or stop sign. Happened once after I filled up the car with gas. At that time the engine had been off. So after I am stopped, and the light turns green, I hit the gas. The engine revs and the tach can hit 4000rpms but I either don't move or move a matter of inches. Usually lasts 20 - 30 seconds. Last weekend it was 45 seconds. (it is as if the car is in park, which it is not). Eventually the car moves. First started at about 6400 miles; I now have 7500 on it and it seems to be occurring more frequently. It has happened twice while backing up as well. I took it to the dealer and they said they did a software update. They said it is just the way this car runs. (they also mentioned they have started getting complaints like mine with this model car.) the update did nothing. Please look into this situation. I am afraid of causing an accident.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Apr 052016

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. While at a stop, the accelerator pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but the failure was unable to be duplicated or diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Hookstown, PA, USA