2007 Jeep Commander drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Apr 152015

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle changes gears erratically sometimes downshifting to a low gear causing lurching and a great change of speed then warning lights and "service 4 wheel drive system" prompt appeared.

- Maricopa, AZ, USA

Aug 032013

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander with a chronic stalling problem. Within just a couple months of buying this used vehicle, it stalled for the first time on the New York thruway going 70 mph. Since then, the vehicle chronically and randomly will stall. I have had it stall as much as 7 times in the space of going 12 miles! it will stall on the highway at 70 mph; or stopped at a stop sign; virtually anywhere anytime! this is extremely dangerous. Recently, I had it stall on the highway; I got it restarted and drove to my exit. At the end of the exit ramp when the light turned green, I proceeded to attempt to cross a busy intersection and it died again!!! I can't trust this vehicle and am afraid to drive it much. We have taken it to the local Jeep dealership many times without successfully fixing the problem. Most recently, we left the Commander at the dealership for a week and they thought they had it fixed so we picked it up and in just over 1 day it stalled again. I work only 6 miles from home and can't make it home from work without it stalling. We have put thousands... and thousands of dollars in repairs replacing sensors (including map), exhaust pipe with catalytic converters, ignition system, ... and the list goes on. Looking on the internet, there are many websites and many complaints by other 2007 Jeep Commander owners for my same stalling problem. The 2006 Jeep Commander has had recalls for stalling... and this vehicle (2007 Commander) should be recalled and fixed. I cannot stress strongly enough how hazardous this vehicle is. Would you place your life... your loved ones lives... in a vehicle that chronically stalls anytime and anywhere without warning?? think about it! I am just looking for Jeep to fix the problem their design has caused in this vehicle.

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Jan 132015

Commander

Engine light goes on. Feels like car will stall or is shifting gears. Code from mechanic is 507 idle speed, performance, higher then expect.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Dec 012010

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly shut completely off. After restarting the engine, the vehicle would operate as normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the shifter gear module was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Chesapeake, OH, USA

Jun 012010

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

My service park assist light has been illuminating on and off for years. It will stall out of no where and nothing works. Today I was going up a hill and the same thing happened. I was told by the dealer it is my electronic shift module. They also told me that this is very common, almost all of these Jeep have to have this repaired.

- Coraopolis, PA, USA

Jun 122013

Commander

I have had this issue for over a 1.5 years. I've only had the Jeep for 2 years. It has progressively gotten worse. The vehicle jerks and putts, the engine light comes on eventually flashes and the car shuts off. Chrysler Jeep has not, to this day, been able to diagnose the problem even with Chrysler engineers. They have kept my car for weeks at a time to no resolve. They have tried replacing multiple parts just to see if it works. On a few occasions I have almost been hit due to the vehicle stalling out. I have been told that Chrysler corporate will no longer assist me with this case.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jan 082014

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the interior lights flashed and the vehicle would shift into neutral independently. The contact also mentioned that there was an abnormal noise coming from under the vehicle and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the transfer case failed. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Bushkill, PA, USA

Nov 142012

Commander

I purchased in November 2012 and ever since with each rain storm my interior floods and it is starting to affect electronics. I have service 4WD system after N23 recall and vehicle won't shift into 4 lo. I have service park assist and TPMS warning and had all four sensors replaced with warning recurring. I recently started losing all four door speakers intermittently and when they do work they sound horrible. Display on radio is starting to go black and dim. I have lights on dash display flash on and off when they want. I have crazy RPM fluctuation at idle and recently transmission feels like it is trying to shift and RPM fluctuations when cruising at hwy speeds. I have bumped the key on multiple occasions and the vehicle is essentially shut off and still moving. Most problems have just recently begun and haven't taken to dealer yet but after reading about many of the same problems and Jeep not owning up to any of them, I don't have the money to chase phantom problems that the dealer can't recreate and change parts and hope it fixes the problem. I don't feel safe driving the vehicle and have to dry the vehicle out after every rain. I am about to have to write it off as a loss and buy a new vehicle which will not be a Jeep. I guess hundreds of people will have to die for Jeep to man up and admit they made a terrible unsafe vehicle and quit making their customers pay for their mistake.

- Leland, NC, USA

May 012012

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that when driving at low speeds below 10 mph, the vehicle would suddenly stall. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. In addition, the contact indicated that the transmission over temperature warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who indicated that a faulty starter caused the failure. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and was informed that the vehicle was not included in the NHTSA campaign number: 08V20300 (power train). The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Sauk Villiage, IL, USA

Mar 122012

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and restarted. The failure recurred twenty times over a period of two years. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Georgetown, MD, USA

Dec 172012

Commander 8-cyl

My 2007 Jeep Commander vehicle had problems with idling and stalling, car would cutoff while driving between 35-60 miles and as well during idling. This had been an on going problem since 2010 though 2012 and then some time before. I officially for the record file this complaint understanding that many Jeep owners had this same problem many times over although the Chrysler corporation never did a recall regarding this problem pertaining to 2006-2008 Jeep vehicles which was and is such a disservice to the consumers.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 042014

Commander 8-cyl

N 23 safety recall was done and after that the 4 wheel lo would not work and dashboard code for service was displayed. Dealer states a national backlog on the 4 lo actuator is the problem and no timeline for the part is available. Reading multiple threads on the internet this is a bigger problem than Jeep is owning up to and the repair part is only at best a temporary fix. This should be addressed at a higher level, I will not buy another Jeep product.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA

Feb 112013

Commander 6-cyl

Car suddenly went into limp home mode and wouldn't go over 30 mph. Check engine light came on. Dealer replaced transmission shift module. Warranty wouldn't cover it because it was external to the transmission. 6 weeks later it happened again, dealer said it was a bad ground. 1 year and 5 days later it happened again and took it to a different dealer and was told there was a firmware upgrade which they performed. 1 week later it happened again. This time on the freeway. Error indicated improper gear ratio selected.

- American Fork, UT, USA

Aug 142013

Commander 6-cyl

I purchasedmy 2007jeepcommander on august05,2013 with 117,578 miles on it. Within a week, I was driving approx. 30 mphwheninoticedthevehiclefeelinglike it had a hard time accelerating, whenitslowed down completely but did not shut off. Panicking, I kept pressingtheacceleratorandmovedtheshifter out of gear when the vehicle jerked and resumed back up to speed. A few days later the vehicle, while traveling at approximately 50 mph completely slowed down again but did not come to a complete stop and service park assist illuminated onthedashboardwithall the gears lit up at the same time as if saying the Jeep was in all gears at the same time. Within a couple of hours the check engine light came on. I brought the vehicle to a repair shop, were they scanned the code and told me it wasn't a "real code" probably a computer malfunction and it should turn off on its own, which it did, a day later. This has happened at least 8 different times throughout the 5 months of owning this vehicle. Finally I looked onlinefor recalls, there is a power-train and electrical recall for the time my Jeep was manufactured, explaining all the same troubles I've been having, however when I called Chrysler customer service, I was advised I had a side airbag recall but nothing on power-train.when I told the representative that the warranty was for my vehicle in the time it was manufactured she told me it wasn't in the system and that if I wanted it fixed I would have to go to the dealership pay for it and keep my receipt and when Chrysler came out with a recall for my Jeep I could come forward. Meanwhile, I'm driving around in a documented unsafe vehicle with my 18 month old in the back and I have to either wait for this car to cause an accident or enough people complain and they issue another recall. Please help, I just want this vehicle to be safe for my children.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 222013

Commander 8-cyl

2007 Jeep Commander engine stall in stop and in freeway at 65mph out of the blue could barely drive it almost caused us to get into an accident, had to pull over multiple times.

- Chula Vista , CA, USA

May 142012

Commander 6-cyl

While driving car will for no reason loose power, you can press gas but car will not go faster than about 15-20 mph, then all of a sudden car jerks and regains power... a few months will go by and car will do again. When this first happened me and my family were on I and car lost power on a road that is 65 mph.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Aug 062013

Commander 8-cyl

Jeep recently had the Grand Cherokee / Commander recall for the final drive control module cracking ( N23/NHTSA 13V-175 ) after I had this recall performed on my Commander, the 4WD system has failed multiple times, flashing "service 4WD system" on the dash. Never had this problem prior to the recall. My Jeep has been back to the dealer 3 times since and codes cleared or reflashed, and within a few weeks, the problem occurs again. Something isn't right with the software in this fix. I don't feel as if the flaw has been completely fixed. I have another dealer appointment Monday morning. Upon googling this recall, I've found multiple people having the same problem.

- Antwerp, OH, USA

Oct 082013

Commander 6-cyl

The park assist light comes on causing the vehicle to stall while driving. Lost communication with left front door module electrical.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 162013

Commander

This car looses power without warning... goes into neutral without warning... slows down without warning... I have complaints dated back to 2011... finally a recall... but the Chrysler Jeep rep said bc of the type of trac system I have it won't apply to me... I'm afraid to drive but have no other choice unless I walk! my vehicle is within the same yr as the recall and has the same problems... im filing a lawsuit!!! they won't be satisfied until someone is seriously injured!

- Lancaster, TX, USA

Sep 022013

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle keeps loosing power shifts into N state, pdrn are highlighted with boxes and you have to wiggle shifter to regain power. Message is: "service park assist". not sure if this is the same issue that the latest recall (13V175000) listed is however, my Jeep doesn't seem to fall in the manufactured date range so I am making a formal complaint since this is kind of low miles to have this kind of an issue with this vehicle and it is happening with my manufactured date vehicle.

- Enfield, NH, USA