2007 Jeep Commander drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Dec 052011

Commander 6-cyl

12/5/2011- the Jeep Commander lost all power while driving, I could not go faster then 15 mph. I took it to the dealership and they informed me, that the PCM needed to be changed and there was no recall. There was a recall on the 2006 model but none on mine (2007). This is very dangerous because the car will just lose power. I am now afraid to drive this car. I called the Jeep recall center and they were of no help and a waste of time.

- Jackson , WY, USA

Nov 022011

The "prnd" gears lit up with boxes around them - the "service parking assist brake" came on as well.... I could not accelerate at all after the light turned green - had to turn on hazard lights and turn vehicle off and back on - worked fine for 10 minutes or so and then the check engine light came on, it has been on ever since. Called the dealership about this they asked me to bring it in for diagnosing, but hesitant because of all the same kind of stories that I have read on this issue. Going to have to give in though, this is a major safety concern of mine now... have not seen a recall for this even though someone can certainly have a devastating accident, not willing to take that chance... love my vehicle, but now I hate the aggravation that this is causing.. with all the horror stories with the same sort of issue you would think that Jeep would take care of this, I guess that this is why they discontinued the Commander?

- Joliet, IL, USA

Aug 012011

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated the vehicle stalled while at a traffic stop. The vehicle was able to be restarted but was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 69,400.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 232010

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact was driving approximately 20 mph approaching a traffic stop signal. While driving from the complete stop the vehicle suddenly stalled without warning. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The identical failure recurred ten months later. In addition, the rear parking assist failed to function. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the gear shift assist would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 012011

Commander 8-cyl

While driving the transmission failed to shift past 2nd gear. The cooling fan proceeded to remain stuck on high. Turned the vehicle off and then back on and it began to run fine. When turned off again it was again stuck in 2nd gear and the cooling fan proceeded to remain stuck on high. Took to dealer and they cannot duplicate the problem though they claim the PCM needs updated again(was just updated 1.5 yrs ago and we paid) and needs a shift control module" we have had this vehicle back to the dealer 6 times since purchased new for transmission problems with reprogramming and not shifting correctly. Why is this vehicle not on the recall list like the 2006 PCM Commander issue"

- Hockley, TX, USA

Apr 072011

While traveling in "drive" the vehicle would not accelerate or decelerate. On the dash board all the gear 123D had lit up squares around them. When I pressed the accelerator to the floor nothing happened. This can cause a crash and possibly kill somebody including my family. I ended up having to pull to the shoulder of the road. Turn the vehicle off and restart it. When I did this everything worked normally. I have heard of problems like this before. I bought this vehicle used from a Volkswagen dealer who told me the powertrain warranty was transferable. It is not. The vehicle only has 44000 miles on it and I don't understand why it is so unsafe. Please help.. no work has been done on this vehicle due to lack of funds, a warranty and every time I call a Jeep dealer and ask them what it is I get a different answer and I don't believe that they know what they are doing.

- Troy, NY, USA

Mar 242009

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward while the brakes were applied. The vehicle could potentially lunge forward and crash into another vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who stated that the vehicle needed basic routine maintenance. The dealer performed a tune-up and cleaned the fuel system; however, it did not correct the failure. The contact took vehicle the vehicle back to the dealer who stated that the vehicle needed a new gear shift. The gear shift repair part was on back order. The contact stated that this was a known failure that the manufacturer needed to address. The failure mileage was 84,000.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Nov 202010

My boyfriend and I were driving home from dinner and about half way home the car suddenly stopped accelerating and the speed dropped from 70 mph to 40 and kept slowing down. We had to pull over and turn the car off and then back on. The car has done this several times since and a light comes on that says "service park assist". I have read up on this year, make and model and have found that this is a very common issue that has not been dealt with! this is also a very dangerous issue. I also found that it has nothing to do with the "park assist" but rather the transmission in the truck and that many have failed well before 50,000 miles but shortly after Jeep's 35,000 mile warranty. Jeep did not cover my car because I bought it used which terminated the warranty because I was not the original owner. I am very disappointed - this is my first Jeep - and I have wanted a Jeep for years. The car still decelerates at times - I can be in traffic or pulling off from a stop or turning a corner and all of a sudden it is not shifting or accelerating. I can't afford a new car right now but am concerned about my family's safety. Please read up on the many articles and comments from people about this problem and save lives!!! with so many complaints and close-call accidents I would think that since it is 2011 something would have been done by now!

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 072011

My 8 month pregnant wife was driving home from work and the prnd light all lit up at the same time. The dashboard read "service park assist brake" and the car quit accelerating and the lights turned off. Luckily nobody was driving behind her and she was able to restart the car. If this happens while turning onto the road you could easily be hit from the side or from behind. We had a couple other incidents of loss of acceleration, but both times the car started accelerating again after 5 or 10 seconds. In every instance the prnd on the dashboard light up at the same time.

- Linden, MI, USA

Nov 122010

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Engine light comes on and engine stalls/stops; engine dies when auto remote started dealer states the PCM need a software update which is not covered under the dealer or extended warranty I am in fear for the safety of my family because this stalling has occurred more than once why can't manufacturers be held accountable for their defects as it appears they know about it but won't extend it to the 5.7L hemi models such as mine.

- Hockley, TX, USA

Mar 012010

Commander 8-cyl

2007 Jeep Commander V8 with hemi the vehicle stalls for no reason. I could be driving 45mph then for no reason all power to the vehicle fails. This has occurred 5 times in 1 week. I looked up recalls and see that the 2006 Commander had a similar problem that prompted a recall of the powertrain control module (PCM). I contacted the dealerships and was told that my 2007 is not covered under the same recall, though the problem is the same. I believe that the PCM software needs to be reprogrammed. This failure may allow the engine to continue stalling resulting in a crash without warning.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 282009

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander. It has been stalling (but not cutting off completely) for sometime. Wednesday, January 28 2009 it began to stall and cut off. It would also rev up to about 3000 rpms while sitting still. While at a stop light on the same day it did the same and lunged forward at the same time (with my foot on the break). Luckily there was no one coming through the intersection. It has been at a certified Jeep dealership twice in the last week, this time for three days - so far! I am being told that they are unable to find anything wrong. A vehicle cutting off in traffic and going forward on its own seems to me to be a serious safety problem.

- Youngsville, NC, USA

May 262008

Transmission not shifting, when @ a complete stop position, car lunges forward without any acceleration pedal pressure, while driving all "prndl " lights came on then car would not go over 30 mph even though I am stepping on acceleration pedal, when putting car in drive and stepping on acceleration pedal, engine revs but will not go, check engine light turns on, car completely shuts off while driving. Shuts off while driving @ 65 mph. Engine stalling and cutting off failure and has occurred @ least 5 times. The consequences have been that I could have been in 2 car accidents with 3 year old son in car. I also have spend time off from work due to damages and spent out of pocket expenses on rental cars. I now have a fear of driving. Due to the car lunging I have almost rear ended 10 cars, on 10 different occasions. I have taken car to the dealer several times for repairs with no success. They have updated software, performed PCM reflash, rec throttle body and injector service, replaced esm module, replaced socket.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Feb 282008

Commander 8-cyl

On two separate occasions (first time was shortly after I purchased the vehicle and the second was within the last week or two), my Jeep Commander has stalled while coming to a stop with light braking (engine shuts off while vehicle is moving). I have also noticed that from time to time while sitting at a stoplight (in drive with brakes applied) the engine seems to hesitate and almost shuts off. Also, at various times, there has been noticeable hesitation when attempting to accelerate from a standstill or rolling stop (5-10mph). Problems seem to be related. I use only "name brand" 89 octane fuel (mfg. Recommendation).

- Sugar Land, TX, USA