2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Apr 152016

Grand Cherokee

Gasoline odor/check engine light have had this vehicle machanically checked the smell of fuel on startup with window lowered is overpowering..the check engine light came on and I had the vehicle plugged into service computer..was told too check gas cap/replace..which I did..the gasoline odor is still present and the check engine light is back new gas cap isnt the problem. There are no leaks anywhere on the engine or at the gas tank, yet the smell of fuel is still present. No gas line leaks...we need to make these trucks in America again with american parts. Have always owned Jeep have a 93 sport in my driveway right now, but this '01 may be my last...literally.

- Antigo, WI, USA

Apr 142016

Grand Cherokee

I am concerned that my gas tank is a hazard if in a rear end collision. My gas tank is in the rear of the Jeep and if hit in the back would be the first thing to impact. It looks the same as the Jeep that have been recalled. But I don't see a recall.

- Buckhannon, WV, USA

Dec 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while driving 30 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the bottom of the vehicle. The contact discovered that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 136,000.

- Wilmington , OH, USA

Apr 082015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Plastic fuel tank is located in rear of vehicle without adequate protection in the event of a rear end accident vehicle is not equipped with a trailer hitch. I an concerned for the safety of my family in the event of a rear end accident. Brought vehicle to Chrysler dealer, service adviser said there is no recall for this vehicle...

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Mar 282015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I want to know if safety recall for rear end fuel tank explosions is still in effect on these vehicles 01&02.

- Sherrill, NY, USA

Mar 232015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 02V104000 (fuel system, gasoline). The dealer stated that the parts needed to complete the recall repair were not available, and that they were waiting on an approved remedy from NHTSA in order to proceed with the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- North Easton, MA, USA

Feb 202015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was equipped with a plastic fuel tank located between the rear axles. The contact mentioned that there was no tow hitch installed on the vehicle and was concerned that in the event of a crash, the fuel tank would catch on fire. The contact did not experience a failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue.

- Galloway, NJ, USA

Sep 292014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I am concerned that my after market towing package is not up to code to protect my family from a rear end collision. I understand that my model Jeep is at high risk for rear end collision fatalities.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Aug 012001

Grand Cherokee

Some Jeep Grand Cherokee were recalled to install trailer hitches to prevent gas tank involvement in the event of rear end collisions. My vehicle has not been included. I do not want my daughter to be injured or killed if she is rear ended. I feel that there are not enough owners left in this vehicle age group to make the outcry that resulted in the recall and fix of more recent models. However, the gas tank in my model is still at the rear and clearly visible from the rear of the vehicle. I would like to keep the car but I would like to feel that it is safe and have the same repair that more recent vehicles have undergone.

- Orwigsburg, PA, USA

Jun 132013

Grand Cherokee

Nothing has happened at this point, however I am very concerned with this fuel tank issue. I have 3 small children that ride in what would be the most dangerous place should I get re-ended and have a fire/explosion. I think it is absurd that they are refusing the recall or offering a fix. I cannot afford to go buy a new vehicle and had I known about this issue, I certainly would have never purchased it. I am very concerned for the health and safety of my children and definitely would like to have an update on this should one become available.

- Lock Haven, PA, USA

Oct 222012

Grand Cherokee

Twice in last 8 months, on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I've got a check engine light w/ obd code 0442 (evaporative emission control system leak detected). Could this small fuel vapor leak add to the likely hood of a fire in a rear collision?

- West New York, NJ, USA

Feb 052011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that every time he refueled, fuel would spew back out from the top of the fuel tank. The contact also mentioned that gasoline fuel fumes were emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 135,000 and the current mileage was 160,000.

- Ponca City, OK, USA